Underrated units

Chiki

FE10

Laura: Maybe it's just my experience but I never see her come up which strikes me as odd seeing as she's basically the only staff user for the DB (unless I'm forgetting someone). Sure, she's not the BEST, but she's a valuable healer still!

Yeah, I think Laura's pretty underrated too. The only thing I can think of is she gets replaced by Micaiah in part 3, but she can still be a good unit there if you can't decide on an extra character to use.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura's utility is quickly outmatched by vulneraries and Micaiah. Her low availability, EXP gaining rate and movement is just rubbing salt in the wound, since it gives her no prospect to being useful in part 4. Even if her class caps weren't terrible. The fact that she cannot survive any enemy encounter means she's limited in where she can stand without dying.

Yeah, Laura's useful for her first two chapters because of chokepoints, but after that trying to make use of her on more open maps is more trouble than it's worth in efficient play IMO. I guess she can use Physics in Part 3 maybe, but her range with them will be pretty short and Micaiah will be the better user anyway.

Laura's growths are sick though. It's like some sort of cruel joke.

I want to add Midir to this thread. He's pretty underrated outside of Serenes.

Ehhh, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have an extra healer to rely on that isn't one of those braindead NPCs who don't know to stay out of trouble despite having Physic staves (this is particularly apparent in 3-12).

Edited by Levant Caprice

But once part 3 starts, Laura has two things working in her favour. For one, she no longer needs to compete for deployment slots, so she can help preventing her more competent allies from spending their player phase drinking potions. The other is that the Dawn Brigade faces very few ranged enemies in Part 3. Most are Laguz anyway but even the human opponents in 3-12 are almost exclusively carrying melee weapons. So it's easy for her to stay save.

Edited by BrightBow

Laura's utility is quickly outmatched by vulneraries and Micaiah. Her low availability, EXP gaining rate and movement is just rubbing salt in the wound, since it gives her no prospect to being useful in part 4. Even if her class caps weren't terrible. The fact that she cannot survive any enemy encounter means she's limited in where she can stand without dying.

Laura's availability isn't bad, and her mobility isn't particularly a problem (never had trouble, considering the more frail units could stay by her side). Part 1's map also seem a tad more "compressed", so the only ones that will be running away from the heard are probably Sothe, Volug & Jill (who can take her of herself). And, yeah, her class caps aren't awful- her Spd cap is, though.

• 3 weeks later...

And I would definitely put him above Ezekiel.

I think Ezekiel is underrated.

Good defense, attack power for days, tons of availability, and okay Move for an unmounted unit (with practically no terrain impediments once he's got all his skills), plus he lets you keep Leteena. He's not game-breaking like Narron, but that's like calling Franz unviable for not being as good as Seth.

Ezekiel's AS sucks though. Like really bad.

As for FE9 Ilyana, she gets Rexbolt, and that's enough to make her good in my book.

Marisa. Everybody talks about how great Joshua is in FE8, even though his only advantages over her are slightly better HP, Defense, and Strength, whereas she has much better luck (which means she dodges more often) and slightly better resistance, in addition to capping skill and speed faster. I think she's just as good as, if not better, than Josh.

Also Luck doesn't matter too much, Josh's defence and strength makes up for it. Male Swordmaster caps are also just better.

Edited by Knight

Joshua also has better speed when it matters most. He's got +1 at base for -5% growth, and 3 extra con. There's no reason to use Marisa over him except maybe the gorgon chapter.

motherfuckers unleashed me

THRACIA

Marty: Odo and Sety and he's a strong unit, sure it's resource expenditure but it's a far cry from being the unusable bottom tier trash everyone thinks he is

FE7

Harken: People give Pent his due but Harken is always shunted to upper midtier mediocrity when there's literally no reason not to use him ever

Isadora: I used to hate Dora but the wonders a single Angelic Robe does for her combat potential

FERD

Bastian: Huge plug n play potential and beats having to use any of the trashy mages you get in the game like Soren or Ilyana

FESD

Maria: Last I checked she was bottom tier but she's legit the only viable Restank in the game and can trivialize Gharnef even on H5, exp gains like a motherfucker too because FESD healers lol

Awakening

Kjelle: Second best kid after Lucy, people get all randy over fuckers who join too late to be useful and require shitty units getting laid when Kjelle is a cool +10 def to Lucy

Sully: On that note Sully is underrated, best physical combat unit for most of the game, best bet for Aegis bypass in Luna+

I'm actually pretty sure nobody knows how to play Awakening because all the people who were actually good at the game never played it, people get so hype over shit like Galeforce that isn't even good

Marisa would be good, if bexp. existed. Joins underleveled with terrible defense growth and lower con than Josh.

As for FE9 Ilyana, she gets Rexbolt, and that's enough to make her good in my book.

In FE9 each anima mage can reach SS rank and have access to use rexbolt, because they're not divided in their favored anima magic.

Calill is also a good contender for rexbolt. Joins with B in thunder and has decent strength base and growth and higher speed growth.

Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

I think Isa's Sereph Robe can go to much better places, like Heath who joins the same chapter and can benefit from Afa's drops, or any one of your current team who's lagging behind in exp.

Edited by Knight

Micaiah - she's one of the best mages in the game imo

Aran - not many people realize his potential, it seems

I think that is all. I use "uber tier" or "popularly used" units most of the time so there's not may underrated units I can think of.

I think Isa's Sereph Robe can go to much better places, like Heath who joins the same chapter and can benefit from Afa's drops, or any one of your current team who's lagging behind in exp.

Izzy with Angelic Robe is a 100% full fledged combat unit who remains strong for the rest of the game, Heath will still have speed issues for awhile, and his HP isn't an issue to begin with. Afa's Drops are a virtually negligible item, extra 5% growths equates to 1 extra stat point every 20 levels.

The only other person I'd say would benefit from the robe is Fiora

FESD

Maria: Last I checked she was bottom tier but she's legit the only viable Restank in the game and can trivialize Gharnef even on H5, exp gains like a motherfucker too because FESD healers lol

What.

Lena man. 50% Res Growth is same as Maria, she has much better bases, has a massive availability lead and can use Warp from the get go. Lena with a few levels, promotion to Bishop and a Pure Water restanks Gharnef like nobody's business.

Edited by Irysa