Anyone else roll their eyes at this?

Dragoncat

It is silly, but to be fair, time has passed in the game. Going from Genoa through the spirit forest takes the army at least 5 turns, which is probably at least a week, which is enough time to consider what's gone on, and yes they have that silly conversation of "oh my I think I'm falling in love", but they really could just have a whirlwind romance that takes place in one month's time, after the chapter ends. Whirlwind romances like that wouldn't be unheard of for nobles who are afraid of their families stepping in and quashing their romances for more politically advantageous marriages.

It is silly, but to be fair, time has passed in the game. Going from Genoa through the spirit forest takes the army at least 5 turns, which is probably at least a week, which is enough time to consider what's gone on, and yes they have that silly conversation of "oh my I think I'm falling in love", but they really could just have a whirlwind romance that takes place in one month's time, after the chapter ends. Whirlwind romances like that wouldn't be unheard of for nobles who are afraid of their families stepping in and quashing their romances for more politically advantageous marriages.

Good point!

You got a RL chuckle out of me. Thanks for making my day~!

I assume that there's other meaningful interactions that happen off-screen (COUGHLACHESISANDDEWCOUGH), but the point of the story isn't how Sigurd and Deidre got married. Thus, even if I don't like how awkwardly rushed it feels, I can see why it was handled that way.

Well there's actually passage of time between chapters. I think it's like 2 years between 2 and 3 and 1 year between 1 and 2 and then maybe a year between 3 and 4?

I'm not sure of the time passage in gen 2 though.

why do people assume because there was like one cutscene before they're all I LOVE HER that that's all that happened

like there are literally months between the capture of genoa and the attack on verdane castle (i'm pretty sure those are the last two castles of chapter 1?); there was plenty of time for them to really meet each other

sure, falling in love with someone after two months or so is still kind of sketch but it's still more context than chrom/olivia (or chrom/robin for that matter)

why do people assume because there was like one cutscene before they're all I LOVE HER that that's all that happened

like there are literally months between the capture of genoa and the attack on verdane castle (i'm pretty sure those are the last two castles of chapter 1?); there was plenty of time for them to really meet each other

sure, falling in love with someone after two months or so is still kind of sketch but it's still more context than chrom/olivia (or chrom/robin for that matter)

Proof for bolded?

Also she ran away and hid in the forest...they didn't exactly see each other much.

Edited by Dragoncat

Considering that the first generation takes place over about four or so years, I think it's safe to say that there's quite a bit of time during and between maps.

For that particular castle, though? From the conversation between Jamka/Batou/Sandima, it seems Marpha had just been taken.

About Sigurd/Deidre: I never really thought about it. I guess love at first sight is a common enough cliche that it doesn't seem out of place.

Didn't bother me at all. Their storybook love at first sight romance serves as the perfect plot device and cements their personalities. You don't really get to see them together too often, but you're never meant to question their relationship. It was meant to be picture perfect, seemingly unbreakable. Genius way to manipulate your audience. While I have no opinion either way on Kaga's leave, something that I've always found intriguing is what he could have done with the other games' stories. Even if I don't really have a problem with them as they are, you gotta wonder.

Well, another thing to consider is that a lot of the Kaga era games take a lot of inspiration from classic myths and legends where this sort of thing is quite common. For instance, Sigurd and Deirdre's story bears a particular resemblance to the romance between Sigurd (FE Sigurd's namesake) and Brynhildr.

Meet. Love at first sight. One loses their memory via hypnosis. NTR. Horrible fiery death.

Edited by The Geek

Well, another thing to consider is that a lot of the Kaga era games take a lot of inspiration from classic myths and legends where this sort of thing is quite common. For instance, Sigurd and Deirdre's story bears a particular resemblance to the romance between Sigurd (FE Sigurd's namesake) and Brynhildr.

Meet. Love at first sight. One loses their memory via hypnosis. NTR. Horrible fiery death.

Ah, not familiar with mythology at all so that's very interesting, thanks.

Among all the Kaga games, Jugdral is the strangest mythology wise as it's a mixture of Norse (names like Sigurd, Gungnir, and Beowulf) and Celtic (Deirdre, Gae Bolg, and Delmud).

It also needs to be noted that in general, FE4's story is VERY abridged in-game. Years pass through the whole game, yet some scenes play by so fast that you get the impression each chapter is only one day long. I believe the devs made some comments way after the game's release that explain in detail certain things in the story that weren't in the game. There's also the manga which develops a few things further (even if it uses specific pairings), and a few other things which are explained in FE5.

FE4 was a pretty ambitious game, but with so much work going into gameplay and map design, story and character development had to take a hit.

The N64 came out the same year. If IS had shifted it onto N64 (while keeping it 2D) they would have had more space to create a game of the scale they intended.

There may be a short time skip, but they still talk about being destined to be together when they meet. Facepalm. Characters aren't supposed to know anything about the story's plot.

We are destined for one another I should know I read the script

• 4 weeks later...

Bayonetta 2 was still rated M which Genealogy would have to be rated since I highly doubt it could get away with a T.

And if you're currently riding the Fire Emblem train why take a risk on a game rated like that which could lose you money.

Also while you only have Diadora/Alvis confirmed and Lachesis/Eltoshan implied, you can still pair Sylvia/Claude who are implied siblings or Holyn/Ayra and then Lakche/Shakasher, or Lex/Ayra and Lakche/Jo Bro. There's the fact you can pair Brigid and Aideen's kids who would be half siblings due to their mothers being twins. And I feel like a 4 remake would somehow include a 5 remake too and Nanna/Leaf were basically raised like siblings or you could do Nanna/Aless who are cousins.

Like there's so many possible incestuous pairings you can't really do the Lucina/Owain thing and just slightly rename it I feel.

OK, what weird hack are you playing where Ulster and Larcei can hook up?

Was gonna bring up that a lot of time passes between events but a few people already did. Yeah, despite what an LTC would have you believe, the time between each seize is pretty large.

Was gonna bring up that a lot of time passes between events but a few people already did. Yeah, despite what an LTC would have you believe, the time between each seize is pretty large.

Doesn't matter.

Here's the timeline of events:

-Sigurd seizes Marpha, meets Deirdre, she runs off back to the Spirit Forest, he vows to see her again.

-Sigurd enters the forest between Marpha and Verdane castle, and meets Deirdre again. She joins his army and they confess their love for each other.

So it doesn't matter HOW much time passes between events. Sigurd and Deirdre fall in love and marry after having a grand total of two meetings. And neither of those were very long. They've probably spent less than an hour in each other's company, and they're ready to marry.

• 3 weeks later...