What do you think of the new My Castle mechanic?

PhoenixX

Could someone explain why people are opposed to the hot springs conversations? It has been a fan service thing in Japan for decades, and I loved soaking there while talking to some friends, so I can definitely see the appeal; doesn't seem as odd as face-rubbing.

Of course now we just wait for the inevitable "kyaaaa, what are you doing here Kamui-samaaaaaaa?!"

I'm fine with the same sex scenes in the hot spring, but walking in on the other sex and getting chased out is just so stereotypical anime that it's cringe worthy.

Edited by Cero

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While it hasn't killed my hype, I do share his worries; features like these are more often than not sloppily executed. You could've used that time to improve the quality of the main game instead.

Eh they've had 3 years to make the game though and we've already see changes and adjustments in the main game and many of the mechanics. Perhaps if this was the first reveal and everything else looked like they just carried everything wholesale from Awakening forward like the GBA FEs did while focusing on the My Castle aspects and the game came out a year after Awakening.

The "My Castle" thing was a massive surprise to me. All the previous information didn't remotely feel like it was leading up to it, because they've spent over a year(whoops I mean 4 months) since the game revealed not actually focusing on that kind of aspect.

Edited by arvilino

My initial reaction when watching direct was "happy belated April Fool's".

I'm liking My Castle, I was always a fan of these small-scale city builder things. Loved it in Bravely Default.

I'm slightly saddened by the fact that buildings destroyed during battles don't remain destroyed though. Would have been interesting

Recruiting other players' units seems interesting. I'm guessing they'll be like hiring MUs in Awakening. I'm liking what they're doing with streetpass here.

Same with the small-scale crafting/cooking thing. Little touches like these I like as long as the materials don't require massive grinding.

The face rubbing I could live without though. And I will, since it doesn't seem like it's forced down your throat. I'll probably try it out few times for the giggles though.

I'm perfectly okay with the hot spring though. I honestly don't see the problem, it's originally a legitimate form of socializing after all.

EDIT: I'll be sighing and facepalming at silly anime hijinks with opposite gender bath though.

So apart from the face rubbing which I'm mildly amused and creeped out by, I'm liking everything.

Edited by Sylphid

Seriously reconsidering getting this game due to My Castle and specifically the face petting.

If it was in any other series, it would be enough of a deal breaker just because of how much it bothers me.

The fact that it's optional isn't enough to offset my disappointment. Which is too bad because I was looking forward to the game.

Not a big fan of the facerub thing (although that still has the merit of having super nice hd models, I wonder if we can zoom out/pan and look at all of it)

pretty alright on everything else

Now, I might be wrong, but, despite some characters being Nohr only, it seemed the style of buildings didn't change at all, still looking like they were in Hoshido.

The 9 minute video on-site showed mostly only Hoshido side stuff, but the Direct had both Hoshido and Nohr aesthetics.

The 9 minute video on-site showed mostly only Hoshido side stuff, but the Direct had both Hoshido and Nohr aesthetics.

Did it? Well, that's that theory out the window. I didn't see the Direct, just the 9 minute video. Thanks for letting me know though.

Still, I rather like the entire My Castle thing as a whole. The face rubbing is a bit strange, but not enough to bother me.

As someone who has enjoyed Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Animal Crossing, etc., the prospect of designing my own domain, collecting my own materials, and leveling up shops sounds appealing. Mundane nonsense like that makes the game seem fuller, and hopefully it'll elongate the plot in a feasible manner without sacrificing the length of the main story. Having the characters all right there, encouraging you to converse with them, makes me hope their dialogue alters as the story progresses to give us more depth on their feelings pertaining to an event to enhance the plot and their own personal character development, but that may be asking for too much. It'd be silly if Hinoka still went on about her favourite horse even after her mother died or something.

The face patting gave me a good laugh this morning, and I'll probably use it a grand total of once for giggles, but I don't particularly like it and will avidly avoid it otherwise; the whole concept behind it just feels incredibly awkward and too fanservice-laden for me. Harems and protagonist worshiping have always put me off.

Glad to see accessories work for everyone. Here's to praying there are historically inaccurate sunglasses to make Kamui's entire family ultra hip or at least coats to cover all of that unnecessary cleavage.

I'm fine with the same sex scenes in the hot spring, but walking in on the other sex and getting chased out is just so stereotypical anime that it's cringe worthy.

This exactly. It's an overused trope, and it's so tiring to see it everywhere.

Edited by sforzur

You're letting a completely optional feature kill your hype for the game? Sounds like you probably weren't too interested to begin with.

This is an argument used a lot, such as with Casual Mode and Phoenix Mode, but it doesn't doesn't quite work with My Castle due to opportunity costs.

Any development time spent on My Castle could've been time spent somewhere else. Similarly, any time loss on the core game experience is time spent on content I either dislike or don't care for.

Losing hype from things like My Castle is pretty valid. Personally, I'm tolerable and willing to hope for the best, but I don't need stuff like this to enjoy the Fire Emblem series, so this is all fluff and lacks relevance to me.

Edited by HeroMystic

i mean personally, i hope it makes more sense than the barracks when you move around- it seems like the setting changes, so i'm assuming it's similar to a camp that moves around? still makes more sense than the barracks. like, let's just move this stone wall thing around w/ us. (#videogamelogic)

but i am excited for it. it seems like the armory is set back to some traveling thing rather than map related, which i can totally get behind. i'm also really interested in the hat things, because it seems like the mask thing that was featured on kamui could be one of those, rather than a partial transformation.

edit: that's... really vague. i'm not talking about the mask with the face made up of characters, i'm talking about the screenshot (clip?) of m!kamui in a mask that was essentially the face of the dragonstone form that was theorized about a while back.

Edited by falcoknights

It's sort of silly, but I sort of lost my motivation for translating the rest of those character profiles on the page when I read the details of the mode...

Still doing it though because I said I would, but just a bit slower. xD

hey i appreciate anybody translating at any pace so don't feel bad about it just take your time.

MY ARMY, MY HAREM.

Im ok with it. It looks kinda bizarro, but i dont see this deterring me in the least. Im interested in that little dragon summon thing. I also need this video in English because im having trouble understanding some of the stuff going on in it. It reminds me a little bit of the Fairy Village in the Breath of Fire series. (or junk in Suikoden)

I am a filthy heathen and I'm so exited for all of My Castle you have no idea. Having your own little place where you can go around doing things reminds me a lot of Layton's London Life, and since I'm fond of sim games I don't have an issue with it. I understand why people are so put off by it but since it's optional I don't see why it would be so much of a problem. Sure there could be more development spent on other areas of the game, but that doesn't mean we should immediately start discrediting the story or characters or whatever. While a lot of work has to go into any FE game because of the story, the characters, gameplay mechanics and everything else not counting this, there have been 13 games and this one is running on the Awakening engine. Who's to say this wasn't developed last or at least developed when most of the main things like the story and characters have been set in stone?

Also, because they're clearly trying to keep the story a secret (we don't know anything about the 3rd route other than it exists and is a bit easy so it doesn't alienate players who did Hoshido for the ease) don't you think it's a little unfair to start naysaying when we don't know a lot about the game outside of these little things? The weapons are one thing but I'm keeping my faith in IS that the main game won't be a trainwreck cause the devs favored face petting over delivering a good FE game.

I am annoyed with the stupid "OPPOSITE GENDER IN THE BATH GO AWAY SHOO" trope, but I like the hot springs too. It gives more ways to have your characters have more development, which is something I felt Awakening really lacked. While we may still get those stupid stock quotes like in Awakening, maybe if they were willing to go the extra mile for all this we'll get something new.

That dragon fish thing is adorable and I need it as a pet.

Also, since we know we are getting the amiibo characters in the game I'd like to be able to pet them too

Some of it's aspects seem cool, getting to talk to units more outside of chapters is always nice, and having battles with other players in it will be fun. And it explains how shopping will work (at least in hoshido route) so that was good to get a look at.

Some parts seem a bit..unneeded? I don't really need to customize a town in FE, that's what I play stuff like harvest moon for. I mean FE is it's own kinda thing and at a certain point other options seem a bit cluttery.

Overall though I'd say as long as they don't make me do the parts I don't like I don't mind. If I do have to build a town though everyone's living in one long line in a row. I am not a good decorator.

Honestly, I wonder if they'll even call it My Castle over here.

I mean, thematically, My Castle sounds similar to My Unit, the JPN name for the Avatar.

So I wonder if there will be a name change there.

I'm placing my bet on Avatarland

I like the idea of My Castle, even though, it sounds like a needless pain. I mean, the base from FE9 and FEA were fine. But sure, making your own shops, why not. It has potential, we don't have enough informations.

The rubbing thing is bull. Onsen ? Do you smell the crappy anime humor and double standard ? Bonus point for attacking the prince, the lord of the castle, and A DRAGON !

I have flashbacks of Persona and Love Hina...

The dragon pet, I don't care, maybe, maybe not, I dunno. Why is it there ? Same for the crops, why should I care about crops ? It is stats boost ? Well, sure why not. Even though I'm the prince and I shouldn't have to make crops...

Edited by B.Leu

For My Castle in the west it'll probably be something like [Kamui]'s Manse/Manor/Citadel. Can't imagine they'd actually call it Kamui's Castle since they're known for using fancier sounding words for stuff like this.

I just like the fact that we actually get to see the place where our units hang out in their spare time between battles. In previous games it was implied to be a camp of some sort but I always had a hard time visualizing where these conversations were happening, even in games like the Radiant duology where you're given a background to the conversations.