FE6 Numbers Patch v1.2.0 - FE6 with (almost) no ambush spawns, HM bonuses for more units, FE7 values, and more

gringe

FE6 Numbers Patch v1.2.0

■About this Hack

The Numbers Patch makes numerous adjustments to the numeric values in FE6 to make it a little closer in feel to FE7, which I think deals with the issues a lot of new players have with the game.

With the release of version 1.2.0 of the localization patch, I've redone this patch as well.

I have cleared the game multiple times on hard mode and found it no harder than the original version.

What is Changed?

• Ambush spawns now spawn at the start of the player turn in most cases (not in trial maps).
    Chapter 21 reinforcements now spawn at set turns.
  • Raigh, Hugh, and chapter 13 Perceval now have hard mode bonuses (not Douglas though because iono)
  • Added a few promotion items to the first 3/4 or so of the game for players to steal to create some more flexibility in viable team compositions
  • Numeric values have been adjusted to make various characters more viable or appealing. Here is a file with a more or less comprehensive breakdown:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v8-TKG_nkJZgLnNshYpxI4AeuAF9e5-xpasvGSmiHJg/edit#gid=1162816746
    Some logic on character adjustments below.
    Spoiler

I've looked at comparisons between characters within a class and when compared to other characters overall. I felt with the adjustments I made that characters don't feel significantly different from the base game, but usability is a little higher for typically underutilized characters, I think.

• Roy
      Str, Def, and Res increased by 5% each to have the same growths as Eliwood, plus Roy's base additional Luck. Might have slightly more reliable growths, but won't change him too much. The buff to the Rapier (more uses, more Mt, effective against more enemies) also helps him a little bit.
    • Merlinus
      Has much higher bases and growths--he's not leveling up, but might be able to take a hit or two midgame
    • Elen
      Much higher base Mag to give her an advantage over Saul, and higher Staff weapon level
    • Rutger & Fir
      Rutger has slightly lower Skl and Spd, and Fir joins at level 5 with appropriate stats
    • Dieck & Ogier
      Dieck has a point less in base Spd, and Ogier joins at level 8 with appropriate stats
    • Wolt & Dorothy
      Higher base stats overall. Wolt has slightly higher growths to make his Skl and Spd more reliable.
    • Gonzalez & Geese
      Gonzalez now joins at level 5 at C rank axes in both routes. No change to stats.
      Geese has very slightly higher bases and stat growths
    • Wade & Lot
      According to developer interviews about FE7, these two were designed to be bad.
      They have had their base stats and growth rates increased to be comparable to other characters. They are still not amazing, but are at least more viable.
    • Bors & Barthe (& Gwendolyn)
      Bors and Barthe start at a higher level with appropriate bases, and have better growths. Think Oswin-lite, I guess. I found Bors perfectly usable after a few levels in place of Marcus early in the game.
      Gwendolyn is a joke and still is. But she does have very slightly better bases and growths to align her closer to the other Knights.
    • Noah & Trec & Zelot
      All have slightly better growths.
    • Perceval
      Slightly lower Str and Spd. Still busted.
    • Thea & Juno
      Thea has a higher Lance weapon level (C).
      Juno has somewhat higher base stats, and a C rank in Swords at base.
    • Melady & Zeiss
      Slightly lower Str and Def at base. Still both absolute monsters in combat.
    • Lilina
      Due to her place in the story, she has somewhat special treatment, but her growths are still comparable to other unpromoted early game characters. I gave her slightly higher bases overall and slightly higher HP growth. She should be useful after a couple levels.
    • Raigh & Sophia
      Both have slightly higher growths, particularly Sophia. Sophia is still probably not worth using, but I'm not about to make her good at base level.
    • Cecilia
      I know a lot of people say Cecilia is good in the base game nowadays, but I still feel her usability is still too low compared to Perceval and even Douglas. Might be my fault. Anyway, she has higher growths overall with a focus in Mag when compared to Clarine, has a higher Staff base level, and comes with a Physic staff in her joining chapter to make her better in the desert.
    • Chad & Cath
      Chad has slightly higher Skl and Luck stats to better compete with Astolfo.
      Cath has increased base Luck, and higher stats that will basically guarantee she maxes out Spd and Luck within 9 levels. If you want to use an Est Thief then I guess she should be pretty good.
  • Changed most item stats to their FE7 values
  • Adjusted throne/gate avoid/def values
  • The Rapier, Horseslayer, and Halberd are now effective against Nomads, Nomad Troopers, Troubadours, and Valkyries
  • The Rapier, Armorslayer, and Hammer are now effective against Zephiel
  • Changed class caps to FE7's values (had to estimate in a couple cases)
  • The critical bonus of Swordmasters and Berserkers was reduced to 15 as in FE7
  • Numerous other tweaks: the Fighters often succeeded in killing Echidna before the player could act so they have been changed to Soldiers; Galle and his troops now attack the player normally; Perceval has a Spear in chapter 13 to reward the player for getting so far so fast; Barthe comes with an Axeslayer to help him or other Knights in the following chapters; Zelot, Trec, and Noah join a little later so Marcus and the Cavaliers are not necessarily required to save Trec in hard mode; Thea will join the player army instead of becoming an allied green unit if spoken to with Shanna after recruiting Klein; and other small adjustments here and there

Apply to an UNPATCHED FE6 ROM. Please DO NOT apply any translation patches after patching with this (the localization patch is included). I also do not recommend using this in conjunction with other patches that change stats and such.

Patch:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9p6e2oog7ioop1b/FE6Numbers_v1.2.0.ups/file

Edited by gringe
Updated

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, got to Zephiel. Dunno how you define excessively difficult, but I would say normally, killing him with someone like Bors or Miledy using Maltet is not exactly hard. By this point of the game, Maltet can easily do about 20 damage and maintain about 75% displayed accuracy assuming you have something like 22 STR and 20 SKL (before stat modifications factored). Even if you are fairly liberal with using Divine Weapons to kill Wyverns and bosses, I don't think it's unreasonable to save a few uses of something like Maltet to kill Zephiel.

Aside from strong lance users (note: weapon accuracy buffs in my opinion actually help a lot in this boss fight when something like a Silver Lance has about 4 more displayed hit after factoring Zephiel's speed buff), Swordmasters with supports still can do the job as well with either Silver or Killing weapons. I would honestly argue Murdock can be more annoying given his physical durability, even if Armorslayers are great against him (personally me, I killed him with a General Triangle Attack using a Hammer for style points).

The Bishops reinforcements with Physic can be a little annoying when they heal Zephiel, but honestly by this point of the game, most of your units equipped with good weapons probably should be strong enough to find a way through. Try to have Warp Staff saved to send someone to kill the Druid and Snipers hiding behind walls to make things less annoying early in the level.

I would say honestly Zephiel is pretty fair. Even if fewer of your non-swordmaster units can double him, he's not too difficult. Really not the most intimidating part of the level by any stretch.

Maltet having like 21 MT is kinda crazy, now that I think about it. Sure it's really late in the game, but that's almost as much raw damage as Durandal (but better for killing Dragons). Furthermore it doesn't weigh nearly as much as either Armads or Durandal. So yeah honestly I would argue that particular Divine Weapon is kinda OP, especially since you don't exactly have a shortage of great lance users in this game.

Not sure about Murgleis. 20 MT and 5 spd is a kinda crazy combination, but then again you only get to take advantage of it on the player phase for the most part.

Edited by A2ZOMG

Jahn and Idun are pretty funny to fight against now that they probably don't die in one round (a Sniper with Murgleis and full supports though probably can make a joke of Jahn). Idun probably doubles Roy unless you use a Speedwing on him, though doesn't matter much when you can attack from range to kill her. Anyhow I completed the game, I'll try to sum up stuff I did and noticed throughout my run as quickly as possible.

Took Western Isles route B + Sacae

Notable support conversations achieved:

A Roy Wolt

Deke Shanna Lot Wade Support Square

A Elen Saul

A Noah Fir

Bors Wendy Lilina Barth Support Square

A Elphin Cecilia

A Sophia Igrene

Earlygame MVPs

Bors, Marcus, Alan

Midgame MVPs

Jerrot, Saul, Astore, Shanna

Endgame MVPs

Saul, Bors, Milady, Wendy, Sophia

I'm open to questions about my opinions, or stupid things I did throughout my run for experimental purposes, though I think I've already covered mostly everything that I think is important. In this game, high defenses and big heals help you a lot more. That represents most of how the game flow feels different. I think the main previously high/top tier unit that probably is liable to be used a lot less is Deke, given his speed nerf is really noticeable midgame when he fails to double a lot of enemies around that point of the game, and he's also a lot more fragile with both his speed nerf and enemy accuracy going up. He's still good for killing bosses though, especially with Durandal.

Edited by A2ZOMG

Updated to 1.5! Try it out if you want!

This and Smash Bros Wii U...I'll try to find time for both. Funny enough, I don't really care for Roy specifically in either of these games.

I guess at this point I'm more curious to know if there's anything in specific you would want people to try out. I personally think you've done a pretty good job meeting your goals. I very much appreciate that Murgleis and Maltet were toned down, given in retrospect I did feel they sorta trivialized the lategame to a degree.

I think once I get to this, I'll deliberately mess with Ogier at least given I suspect he's probably Bors most viable support which in its own way is pretty useful. Dunno if he might actually be secretly OP...that will remain to be seen.

I had an issue patching it to the FE6 localization patch, I just got a black screen, either it was the patching order or using UPS+IPS patches together. To anyone that has the same issue, I fixed it by patching in this before the localization (and using both IPS patches)

Ah, it must be because v1.0 of the localization patch moves some stuff around. I patched it successfully with the UPS version so it must be the order. Thanks for pointing this out, Lowell! I'll edit the first post when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you buffed Cecilia at all? If you haven't, she could use some buffing. especially in speed. Just a suggestion. It'd be nice if you had the changelists from your previous number patches too, so we could use them for reference, instead of just the v1.5 changelist.

Well, you could download older versions and check the document in the most recent file against them. Not the most intuitive method, I know. :P

Cecilia has received some pretty notable growth boosts. She still has the same bases, though. Her stat focuses are more on Mag and physical durability (relatively speaking) than Clarine.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is an error from this patch or the translation, but I just did the tutorial.... and the rapier had no damage bonus against Bors!

I'm worried that other weapons might've lost their damage bonus somehow....

EDIT: Just tried the Armorslayer against Ruud (Ch.2). It's damage bonus is also not there.

Edited by Mark the Tactician

Not sure if this is an error from this patch or the translation, but I just did the tutorial.... and the rapier had no damage bonus against Bors!

I'm worried that other weapons might've lost their damage bonus somehow....

EDIT: Just tried the Armorslayer against Ruud (Ch.2). It's damage bonus is also not there.

I think I know the problem because this happened to me as well. What you do is apply the numbers patch to the rom first, then patch the translation in ups format not ips. There must be some sort of weird conflict if you patch both in ips form.

I've been having some problems trying to get this to work while getting a translation patch to work as well.

First, I downloaded the three parts: a fresh copy of FE6, this patch, and this translation patch http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41095&page=1

I'm using Multipatch. First I patch the Numbers patch to the ROM first as explained in the OP. No problems there. When I try to then patch the translation patch on top of the now patched ROM, I get a crc32 issue. To make sure that everything downloaded correctly, I tried applying just that translation patch to the ROM and it worked fine. The numbers patch is .ips and the translation patch is .ups

Wow, things are getting ridiculously confusing, aren't they? Maybe I should just combine the translation patch and the numbers patch.

Is there anybody who wants to use the numbers patch WITHOUT the translation?

There should never be a reason to force gameplay changes with a translation, in my opinion. Keep them separate and allow users to choose. If there are problems with patching, the author ought to identify and ensure clean patching is possible.

Um, yeah. The idea is to have the localization patch in the main localization patch topic and the localization patch merged into the numbers patch in this topic.

What I'm asking is if there's anybody who wants to use the numbers patch with the Japanese version or an older translation patch. If there's not, I can safely make the merged patch (again, for use in this topic).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with slayer weapons lacking the bonus they should have.

I've successfully applied this patch first (as indicated in this OP), but adding the localization patch is where problems arise for me -- if I try using the .ups format I get a "The patch doesn't match the file" message when I try adding it. Conversely, if I try using the .ips format, the effective damage bonuses are lacking the entire game.

It's a shame I can't get it to work, because this patch is really appealing to me. :(

Edited by prettyprincess

Ok this is going to sound like a rant but here are my notes for the patch:

- Bug: The weapon "Rapier" is broken. Its effect against cavalry/knights doesn't work at all against any type of these enemies. It's just another normal weapon without any special effects.

- Bug: The weapons with special effects against cavalry/knights like the halberd and knight killer

have reduced effect (about half effect) and don't glow.

- WEXP is as slow as the original. No work has been done there and getting "S" in Axes and Light categories still remains an ordeal.

A "D" rank in Light magic for priests does't help or improve the situation.

- Every promoted class that gains a new weapon category starts at "E" again. Coupled with the slow WEXP, it's a drag.

- Support gains have the same issue. The infamous "0+1" support growths still exist and make Support build ups very slow.

- The Support limit of 120pts/chapter still exists and that makes Supporting a tedious process to build.

- Honestly the growth rates are as bad as the original and the game felt the same

Had to RNG abuse a ton for tens of hours as almost every legit Lv-Up earned 1-3 pts.

- Nerfs to various characters only lead to drop their viability much earlier.

Those originally good characters weren't broken, they just looked broken because the majority of the army sucked.

- Weapons got %Hit buffed which leads to enemies having a constant 45-60% Hit Rate throughout the game

Reducing enemy skill by 2pts in the early game hardly fixes the issue as -4% is nothing compared to +10/15% from weapons.

Specifically (these on top of your patch rates):

* Roy,Lance,Allen need +5% to STR,SKL,SPD with Lance,Allen needing an extra 10% to LUCK or DEF

* Ellen should lose -10% in both LUCK and RES and get +10% to SPD and DEF

* Dieck (who already suffers from SPD growth) lost 2SPD and he can't double anything except noob spear soldiers. He needs his +2SPD back

* Thanny lost too 2SPD and she can't dodge enemy swords and lances for the first 6-7 chapters! At least give and split those 2pts in 1STR and 1LUCK

* Clarine... omg wtf something happened to her MAG/SKL as at 20/0 and a lot of RNG abuse they both stayed at 8! +10% those 2 stats or something.

* Noah's STR and SPD suck and he is worse than Treck who is tankier and better at everything.

35% for 2 core stats is low. Either both need +10% OR one of these two stats +20%.

* Lilina is....Lilina. If her SPD gets blessed then she is very good. Otherwise she sucks and doesn't have a "safenet".

I would -10%MAg and give +5%SPD and +5%HP.

* Oggier is weaker than Wendy in literally everything! And it's not Wendy's fault :P. He sufferes mostly in STR and LUCK. I'll leave this one to you to decide.

* Fir's base buffs are very welcome but her 25%STR growth is a crime as she hit less than Thanny and dodges less than Thanny (because lower LUCK too). Needs +10%STR.

* Tate needs +1 base stats to everything. This game has already tons of Ests and doesn't need more.

At the chapter she joins, she can't dodge, kill steal or even scratch enemies while the later chapters get harder.

* Klein needs +2 to STR,SKL,SPD and +5HP. Even with these he is stil much weaker than an un-promoted 20/0 Wolt.

* Miledy deserves +1 to all base stats as now she is LV15 and her brother at half level (7) has equal starting bases. That's unfair.

* Percival got nerfed for no reason since his growth rates are bad with no potential...

That's all i noted so far.

Edited by BrightVega

I'm having the same problem with slayer weapons lacking the bonus they should have.

I've successfully applied this patch first (as indicated in this OP), but adding the localization patch is where problems arise for me -- if I try using the .ups format I get a "The patch doesn't match the file" message when I try adding it. Conversely, if I try using the .ips format, the effective damage bonuses are lacking the entire game.

It's a shame I can't get it to work, because this patch is really appealing to me. :(

Another poster has the same problem.

What i did was:

Get ROM(J), the IPS 1.5 patch and the IPS version of the translation patch (link is in the same page of the translation)

then use IPS to patch the numbers 1.5 first into the ROM

and then the translation.

Edited by BrightVega

Another poster has the same problem.

What i did was:

Get ROM(J), the IPS 1.5 patch and the IPS version of the translation patch (link is in the same page of the translation)

then use IPS to patch the numbers 1.5 first into the ROM

and then the translation.

I did this, and the Armorslayer works fine, but the Rapier becomes bugged again when I apply the translation patch (it works fine in the Japanese version).

I'm doing alright without the localization, since I can still play and navigate the game properly. :)

• 2 weeks later...