FE6 Numbers Patch v1.2.0 - FE6 with (almost) no ambush spawns, HM bonuses for more units, FE7 values, and more

gringe

I honestly think a combined patch is in order. And liek it's been said if soeone wnts to lay the numbers patch in Japanese, you can siply not only link to a combined numbers+translation patch, but a contnue linkng tto the plain old numbers patch.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed there were a bunch of posts added to this topic! Apologies to anyone for late replies.

I honestly think a combined patch is in order. And liek it's been said if soeone wnts to lay the numbers patch in Japanese, you can siply not only link to a combined numbers+translation patch, but a contnue linkng tto the plain old numbers patch.

Yes, most definitely... There are some annoying issues, it seems. My current plan is to make a new Numbers Patch version with the next version of the localization patch and post it here. The reason for this is that I am planning one more update to the localization patch and I don't want the numbers patch to have issues again.

Hey gringe, I'm sorry if someone asked this before, but can your FE6 patches stack? If so, which one should I patch first?

They're supposed to, but it seems they presently don't... I want to fix this.

Will just respond one by one to the long critique post... Sorry if my responses are a little blunt.

- Bug: The weapon "Rapier" is broken. Its effect against cavalry/knights doesn't work at all against any type of these enemies. It's just another normal weapon without any special effects.

- Bug: The weapons with special effects against cavalry/knights like the halberd and knight killer

have reduced effect (about half effect) and don't glow.
Yeah, this is a problem when using the localization patch and numbers patch together. I will see if I can fix this soonish.

- WEXP is as slow as the original. No work has been done there and getting "S" in Axes and Light categories still remains an ordeal.

A "D" rank in Light magic for priests does't help or improve the situation.

- Every promoted class that gains a new weapon category starts at "E" again. Coupled with the slow WEXP, it's a drag.
- Support gains have the same issue. The infamous "0+1" support growths still exist and make Support build ups very slow.

- The Support limit of 120pts/chapter still exists and that makes Supporting a tedious process to build.
I made no changes to the original in these areas and don't plan to, either because I lack the knowledge/skills or because it would change balance too much (Light magic does suck, but on the other hand, it gives Yoder a kind of use if he's the only one who can reasonably use the legendary Light tome)

- Honestly the growth rates are as bad as the original and the game felt the same

Had to RNG abuse a ton for tens of hours as almost every legit Lv-Up earned 1-3 pts.

Well, the growths have about the same average as FE6. This is because promotion boosts are much higher than later games. Higher average growths aren't necessary in FE6. One of the goals with this patch was to make unusable characters usable, and to debuff characters who were relatively overpowered in comparison to other characters.

- Nerfs to various characters only lead to drop their viability much earlier.

Those originally good characters weren't broken, they just looked broken because the majority of the army sucked.

I tried to average it out. Your specific comments look like they increase the overall average, which is not the goal of this hack.

- Weapons got %Hit buffed which leads to enemies having a constant 45-60% Hit Rate throughout the game

Reducing enemy skill by 2pts in the early game hardly fixes the issue as -4% is nothing compared to +10/15% from weapons.

Honestly I've been able to get through the game without any trouble, even on Hard Mode. Characters who rely on dodging do so a little less reliably, but conversely this gives high Def characters more use.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, i am at chapter 17 now, and here are my thoughts about your hack:

- If you could make Roy promote earlier... he'd be so much better. i know, you'd have to kinda rewrite the story, but roy pretty much promotes out of nowhere, and the cutscene where he gets the binding blade and promotes wouldn't be ruined by roy not promoting there (since noone mentions the promotion). Maybe make douglas give him a heaven seal or something? you'd just have to write a few lines about douglas giving roy that, i trust in you, blah blah save the world.

- I find some of the growth improvements kinda superfluous... Ellen needs more than 25% speed... if you could give her at least 40, that'd be awesome.

Percy could also use some growth improvements.

- On the other hand, units like Lot, Cecilia, Sophia, Bors... are so much better right now. I dare say with some levels on her, Cecilia pretty much becomes the best of the etrurian generals (tho she could use some better bases...).

- The weapon number changes are also very welcome.

- The extra promo items are FUCKING AWESOME. Now i can promote more people i'd have to leave behind in the normal game.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so I downloaded the previous patch versions and their changelogs don't indicate where new items have been placed. I remember that there are a fair amount of new promotional items in this patch, so I was wondering if there's a complete list somewhere?

• 2 months later...

Yo Gringe, amazing job with the translation. I feel like its what America would have probably made. Sorry to ask but do any of you guys have a .sav file for this with hard mode unlocked. Its more challenging that way. Sorry for askin?.

Yo Gringe, amazing job with the translation. I feel like its what America would have probably made. Sorry to ask but do any of you guys have a .sav file for this with hard mode unlocked. Its more challenging that way. Sorry for askin?.

Gringe, do you think you can make thieves go up to level 30 (or maybe even promote to rogues for that matter)?

If you treat them like FE11 did and only make their skill and speed caps higher they would still be almost useless when it comes to fighting (especially when you count they can reach C in swords at best) but they would be more aviable.

Also, I read you don't plan on changing weapon exp in order to make base ranks count, but I think that each new weapon type on promotion should start at D instead of E, so that it's actually usable. Right now Heroes and Falcon Knights are the only ones who can use the new weapon type because both the steel and the throwing axe are E rank and because controlling the WT is important in order to dodge. One more base rank isn't going to impact that much, but at least gives the player more choice, right?

• 3 months later...

I think Rogues would be out of the scope of this hack, unless it's literally just the same sprite, more levels, and higher caps. Even then, I'm not sure what Nightmare can do easily.

Edited by FairyLip

I think Rogues would be out of the scope of this hack, unless it's literally just the same sprite, more levels, and higher caps. Even then, I'm not sure what Nightmare can do easily.

One can increase the max level with nightmare. The thing is, it affects all classes, not just ones that can't promote, so if you were to raise the level cap to, say, 30, then one could potentially raise a promotable unit 30 levels, promote them, and raise them another 30 levels.

Okay something I felt the need to respond to, even though I haven't played this yet (I may or may not play it sometime)...

- WEXP is as slow as the original. No work has been done there and getting "S" in Axes and Light categories still remains an ordeal.

A "D" rank in Light magic for priests does't help or improve the situation.

I made no changes to the original in these areas and don't plan to, either because I lack the knowledge/skills or because it would change balance too much (Light magic does suck, but on the other hand, it gives Yoder a kind of use if he's the only one who can reasonably use the legendary Light tome)

Give Bishops C rank at base, make Divine a B rank tome, give Yodel S rank at base

I don't think you lacking the knowledge for it is a valid argument, I mean you can simply take advice from others, but you have to acknowledge that there is a significant balance problem in how much you must go out of your way to use Aureola, and changing balance in a way that improves it seems to be in agreement with the idea of this patch. The proposition to change light magic, in fact, only requires a very simple change (as mentioned above), so I don't see it changing balance "too much", and as far as it does, it is exclusively positive.

If you want Aureola!Yodel to be useful, he needs to have it right off the bat. He is there for 5 chapters (Final doesn't count), and giving a mediocre combatant him the favoritism of feeding him, say, half of C21's initial enemies so he can use Aureola will save much less effort in the long run than you put into feeding him enough kills. I mean, Aureola is a 20 use weapon and hammerne only has 3 uses, so how often you'll end up using it is limited, even if it's solid for when it lasts (I don't know if you made any changes to Aureola's Mt since you didn't mention it in the spreadsheet, unless I missed something). The same argument applies for the other bishops; putting in enough effort for the 100 WEXP for Purge and 150 WEXP for Aureola can actually be worthwhile. It still takes relatively long to warrant Yodel having a niche, but not so long that doing it boils down to extensive favoritism.

Edited by Gradivus.

• 1 month later...

Dunno if this is a glitch since I haven't played it unpatched, but in chapter 2 when I visit the armory the vendor theme plays instead of the armory theme i was expecting

Nah, that's just FE6. It has only Vendor music.

• 1 month later...

I think you've made a small mistake with the Paladin caps...they cap at 24 strength and their skill cap is too high.

ByUqWQm.png

Also, the Excel file has the wrong promotion gains for Snipers in the 'new' part, so Wolt's and Dorothy's averages are off.

Edited by Laytruce

• 1 month later...

Im about to find out, do you know if anyone else has tested?

Not that I know of. My cousin completed the game (borrowing my hardware, and by extension ROM) some time before I first asked, with Roy promoting same as vanilla, but I don't remember if I had actually applied the early promotion patch to that ROM at all.

• 3 years later...

Hey, sooo, I hope that as this is my own thread it is not considered necro-posting.

That FEBuilder is pretty nifty, huh? It let me do all kinds of things I'd always wanted to do for this hack. Like remove ambush spawns!

https://gofile.io/d/6l4PZp

I haven't tested it extensively, so I am considering this a beta. If I have time to beat the game a couple times without issue I may update the first post.

It seems my documentation for this is fairly spotty but here are the notable changes this hack makes, as a reminder and to let you know what's new in this version.

Spoiler

â– Overview of the Hack
Basically it's intended to "update" FE6 in a way that NOA may have feasibly done if the game had been released outside Japan based on FE7. The two main pillars are as follows, though I suppose the removal of ambush spawns can now be added to this:

- Adjusts most in-game values to be closer to FE7 (weapon stats, class caps, terrain bonuses, etc.--particularly of note is the Rapier and Horseslayer are effective against Nomads and Nomadic Troopers)
- Character adjustments and additional promotion items to steal to increase feasible character options in a normal playthrough (note that the overall lower FE6 average is still present)

â– New in this Version
- Translation updated with all current official names from FE Heroes. This means that Deke and Jerrot are out and Dieck and Zelot are in. Yay... Also, Gwendolyn's name is long. Some small adjustments to text here and there as well.
- Most ambush spawns replaced with "fair" spawns. Chapter 21 and the final chapter are the exceptions. Additionally, some events and pirate spawns on distant islands still occur on the enemy turn. Some dialogue seemed oddly placed with this change, so some spawns have been moved back a turn and other times event dialogue has been moved up a turn.
- Paladin stat caps corrected to intended values. Yoder now starts with an S in Light magic.
- Throne and Gate avoid and defense bonuses decreased to be consistent with FE7.
- Placement of some enemy spawns adjusted to be a little less cartoonish. Particularly the knights that rush out of the stairs in Chapter 6.
- Rapiers, Armorslayers, and Hammers are now effective against the King class. Finally.

...And I think that's it.

Another thing I'd like to consider is shrinking a couple of the particularly infamous maps down a little bit, but that may be going a little far and would require some pretty big overhauls.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback or thoughts I would be happy to hear them.

Edited by gringe
Fixed formatting

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 5:56 PM, gringe said:

Hey, sooo, I hope that as this is my own thread it is not considered necro-posting.

That FEBuilder is pretty nifty, huh? It let me do all kinds of things I'd always wanted to do for this hack. Like remove ambush spawns!

https://gofile.io/d/6l4PZp

I haven't tested it extensively, so I am considering this a beta. If I have time to beat the game a couple times without issue I may update the first post.

It seems my documentation for this is fairly spotty but here are the notable changes this hack makes, as a reminder and to let you know what's new in this version.

Reveal hidden contents

â– Overview of the Hack
Basically it's intended to "update" FE6 in a way that NOA may have feasibly done if the game had been released outside Japan based on FE7. The two main pillars are as follows, though I suppose the removal of ambush spawns can now be added to this:

- Adjusts most in-game values to be closer to FE7 (weapon stats, class caps, terrain bonuses, etc.--particularly of note is the Rapier and Horseslayer are effective against Nomads and Nomadic Troopers)
- Character adjustments and additional promotion items to steal to increase feasible character options in a normal playthrough (note that the overall lower FE6 average is still present)

â– New in this Version
- Translation updated with all current official names from FE Heroes. This means that Deke and Jerrot are out and Dieck and Zelot are in. Yay... Also, Gwendolyn's name is long. Some small adjustments to text here and there as well.
- Most ambush spawns replaced with "fair" spawns. Chapter 21 and the final chapter are the exceptions. Additionally, some events and pirate spawns on distant islands still occur on the enemy turn. Some dialogue seemed oddly placed with this change, so some spawns have been moved back a turn and other times event dialogue has been moved up a turn.
- Paladin stat caps corrected to intended values. Yoder now starts with an S in Light magic.
- Throne and Gate avoid and defense bonuses decreased to be consistent with FE7.
- Placement of some enemy spawns adjusted to be a little less cartoonish. Particularly the knights that rush out of the stairs in Chapter 6.
- Rapiers, Armorslayers, and Hammers are now effective against the King class. Finally.

...And I think that's it.

Another thing I'd like to consider is shrinking a couple of the particularly infamous maps down a little bit, but that may be going a little far and would require some pretty big overhauls.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback or thoughts I would be happy to hear them.

I think the download link is broken. Gofile says the upload doesn't exist. 

11 hours ago, Senses said:

I think the download link is broken. Gofile says the upload doesn't exist. 

Sorry about that! Here is a hopefully more permanent link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ltv3bdn01m6zqh2/FE6-NumbersPatch_v1.6beta.ups/file

I am in the process of updating the Localization Patch and will update this patch as needed once that is complete.

• 10 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 5:05 AM, gringe said:

Sorry about that! Here is a hopefully more permanent link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ltv3bdn01m6zqh2/FE6-NumbersPatch_v1.6beta.ups/file

I am in the process of updating the Localization Patch and will update this patch as needed once that is complete.

first i apply this patch and then the translation patch?

I have updated this patch if anyone is interested.

I kind of did it mostly for myself because I want to make a complete save file with all support conversations and trial map characters unlocked and the base game starts to feel a little repetitive after the 6th playthrough, but I'm happy to share it.

Details in the first post! Please let me know if you run into any issues.

EDIT: Aaaand I realized FEBuilder messed up the placement of some units when I made edits to them. That's what I get for uploading without testing thoroughly I guess. I made a very small update and replaced the file on Mediafire with the updated one.

Edited by gringe

• 1 month later...