Ambush + Wrath, good in theory but bad in practice?

GrySun

I think I may have messed up. Wanting to make sure Leaf turns into an Alm-like endgame powerhouse, I decided to throw most skillbooks onto him. First I gave him wrath, which made him decimate anything on a counterattack. Then I gave him ambush, thinking he would decimate everyone on a counterattack before he even gets hit. But once I did that, he stopped critting on his counterattacks. I may have just bad luck, but I feel like this skillcombo may have screwed each other up. Is it possible that Ambush turns my counterattack into a normal attack which isn't considered by Wrath's programming as a counterattack, leaving me without the benefits of the Wrath skill?

I hope that's not the case, as I'd have to redo a very long chapter if I reload the save where Leaf only had Wrath and that chapter had quite many nice levelups too...

If Ambush triggers, then Wrath simply won't work.

...but Ambush always triggers. So it will never work? Or does it only work if you counterattack again(due to double attack)?

I'm fairly sure that Wrath is supposed to work...on the second attack, that is.

I'm fairly sure that Wrath is supposed to work...on the second attack, that is.

i'm not sure. if wrath works on the second attack, that means that normally wrath should work on player phase as well. but i don't think wrath works on pursuit attacks during player phase.

the only situation in which i know that wrath will still work in combination with vantage is if you attack an enemy that also has vantage on player phase. enemy attacks first, wrath activates normally.

the only situation in which i know that wrath will still work in combination with vantage is if you attack an enemy that also has vantage on player phase. enemy attacks first, wrath activates normally.

Which is funny because I don't think this should ever happen in the game. The only enemy units with Vantage are Pahn (whom you shouldn't fight anyway) and Reinhardt (who shouldn't really be approached directly).