Why is Game of Thrones episode 8 season 5 so highly rated? (official GOT discussion thread)

I legitimately want to know why this episode was rated so highly. I'm not saying this episode was terrible or anything (it was average), but best episode in the entire show? seriously? better than episode 9 last season? or episode 9 in season 2? or any of the episodes in season 1? It's got 9.9/10 on imdb for crying out loud!

because boobs

i dont even watch GoT

Nope. Episode 8 was actually hella good because it dropped some plot bombs that were...i dunno, Actually Pretty Cool

That episode was boobless. We've had two episodes in a row without boobs. But that one was rated high because people love to see the Others/White Walkers.

oh boy episode 9 just came out here's my review

picard-facepalm.gif

I AM AZOR AHAI REBORN AMIDST SALT AND SMOKE.

900x900px-LL-58cf3418_salt_intensifies.g

Yeaaaahhhhhh im more than a little salty tbh.

I watched ep 8 today. I'm really pissed off that they introduced (I think? I didn't see all of season 4) that beautiful wildling leader and then killed her in the same episode. I don't know her name. Actually, I can remember any of the names of the relatively major wildling leaders besides rattleshirt and mance.

I watched ep 8 today. I'm really pissed off that they introduced (I think? I didn't see all of season 4) that beautiful wildling leader and then killed her in the same episode. I don't know her name. Actually, I can remember any of the names of the relatively major wildling leaders besides rattleshirt and mance.

the show called that lady, Karsi. And yeah she was only there that one episode. I got my hopes up that she would be like a substitute for Val, but nooooo. D&D strike again with their BS. Are there even any Thenns left? DID YOU SEE WHAT THEY DID TO MANCE EARLIER THIS SEASON?! He aint coming back, man. This week's episode showed Stannis get character assassinated so bad that even show only fans are like "NOPE"

*rolls around in salt for fifty years*

I'll watch episode 10 when it comes out but after that I'm done with this show. I'll wait till the books come out and read them.

EDIT: I'm not done ranting. Giving a show massive plot holes just for the sake of making a storyline shocking/controversial doesn't make the show good. It's cheap and lazy. It's bad writing. And i know shows like Berserk and Sopranos have some dark moments, but those are good shows. They're well written......unlike this huge turd of a program!

who missed me on the forums then? anyone?

Edited by Aizenberg

I'll watch episode 10 when it comes out but after that I'm done with this show. I'll wait till the books come out and read them.

i figure ill have to watch along with the show so i dont get inadvertently spoilered, but i agree i would have preferred the books

Nope. Episode 8 was actually hella good because it dropped some plot bombs that were...i dunno, Actually Pretty Cool

That episode was boobless. We've had two episodes in a row without boobs. But that one was rated high because people love to see the Others/White Walkers.

You know what that means...White Walker boob scene confirmed.

EDIT: I'm not done ranting. Giving a show massive plot holes just for the sake of making a storyline shocking/controversial doesn't make the show good. It's cheap and lazy. It's bad writing. And i know shows like Berserk and Sopranos have some dark moments, but those are good shows. They're well written......unlike this huge turd of a program!

Yay, someone else gets it~

Episode 10..... I can't even be bothered to rant about it.

It's like

when Jon doesn't feel the last knife going into him at the end of Dance with Dragons

This show has made me numb to give a shit. I did like Robert Strong in this episode so at least that's a plus.

But overall, worst finale and season in the show. I'm officially done with this show.

If I had to rank the seasons from best to worst;

season 1

season 2, season 3, season 4

season 5

Edited by Aizenberg

Nice to have you back mr unpopular opinions.

As usual your opinion is highly disagreeable though.

@Spoiler Tag Content: That was obviously something they'd have to drop from the books. How would they portray that in a tv show?

Edit: I don't really see the plotholes though?

Edited by Executive kirsche

@Spoiler Tag Content: That was obviously something they'd have to drop from the books. How would they portray that in a tv show?

I think he may have been describing (in hyperbolic fashion) his own feelings as he watched the episode.

Nice to have you back mr unpopular opinions.

As usual your opinion is highly disagreeable though.

Edit: I don't really see the plotholes though?

lol. go on then. why is my opinion highly disagreeable?

I think he may have been describing (in hyperbolic fashion) his own feelings as he watched the episode.

thank you. at least you got what i said

Edited by Aizenberg

The white walker scene was epic and LotR-esque and I'm surprised you didn't like it. Each to their own but it's what carried the episode to being the highest rated.

I feel like your complaints come as if these things are not typical for the books (Hence why you say you're moving solely to the books), when this is naiive of you.

[spoiler=elaboration on the above]

Many of the more objectionable scenes from this season are actually suggestions from George RR Martin himself, the burning of Stannis' daughter being one of them, so to think that the books are going to be any different is, as I said, naiive. It doesn't get much different.

Also I really don't know what plotholes you are talking about.

i liked episode 10, but they left too many cliffhangers which is completely contrary to the past seasons. it felt out of place but other than that i dont see the problems you do. the show and the books are separate entities and should be treated as such.

honestly, weakest season so far, after all emotions/etc. have passed (for me). recent /r/asoiaf topics explain exactly why...

still pretty good tv, though. and it's not like i'm disinterested in the show now.

I feel like your complaints come as if these things are not typical for the books (Hence why you say you're moving solely to the books), when this is naiive of you.

[spoiler=elaboration on the above]

Many of the more objectionable scenes from this season are actually suggestions from George RR Martin himself, the burning of Stannis' daughter being one of them, so to think that the books are going to be any different is, as I said, naiive. It doesn't get much different.

It might have been a suggestion by George, but that doesn't change the fact that it was executed poorly. Same with Sansas storyline. They made Stannis into a desperate moron whose in love with Melissandre.

Here's a couple of Stannis quotes in the books

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "

" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

The same daughter he burns to death. And I'm not saying she's going to survive till the end of the series, but to kill her off in such a rushed nonsensical way is just shit writing.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

You'd think a man with this much experience would've come up with some sort of battle plan against Ramsay, rather than attacking head on recklessly. And also losing his supplies and horses to Ramsay and his 20 ninjas.

The same daughter he burns to death. And I'm not saying she's going to survive till the end of the series, but to kill her off in such a rushed nonsensical way is just shit writing.

Especially when a less nonsensical option is presented by the books: Stannis left his family at the Wall with Melisandre, because why would he bring them to battle?

Especially when a less nonsensical option is presented by the books: Stannis left his family at the Wall with Melisandre, because why would he bring them to battle?

Exactly. It's the same with Sansa getting married to a Bolton. It makes no sense.