Today on Maskman

Ike-Mike

Maskman is a 1987 tokusatsu series about a team of five martial artists who must master the Power of Aura and fight against the evil unterground kingdom who want to take over the world!
The series is notable for having the first Ranger to specialize in a western martial art. It also has a huge following in the Philippines. The show was also brought to France as "Bioman 2."

While the Ranger theming isn't as concrete as in more recent tokusatsu, I like the subtlety of Aura Power and that it's a straghtforward action show.
Partly inspired by the #DailySentai hashtag on Twitter and because I posted about previous episodes in FE4 THREAD, this thread is about me posting a few screenshots of the most recent episode I've watched and adding a few captions of my own underneath.

The theme song is also by the same vocalist who did the Japanese Dragon Ball Z openings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgvHRqQbzFM

For the sake of congruency, here are my previous "Today on Maskman" posts from FE4 THREAD:

Today on Maskman Episode 10

qh2ag4i5.jpg

And then it turns out to be a cage match around an electric fence:

bx7pjup9.jpg

dopzdlic.jpg

Also, who the heck leaves their baby buggy in the middle of a railway?

Edited by Ike-Mike

Today on Maskman Episode 11

The Queen wants to bring back the evil kingdom back to its former peaceful glory:

5yhjogau.jpg

asjyms8o.jpg

j85kslx5.jpg

Well, that was anti-climactic.

But have I ever told you that the mech is a Beaumont, because he has his own crucifix?

2j47ghy2.jpg

Today on Maskman Episode 12

Everyone wants to play Revenge of Shinobi with the monster of the week:

9776ayiq.jpg

gv62w9fc.jpg

I must say, I like the use of practical effects and animatronics, especially in shows like these. Even tokusatsu became overreliant on CGI in the mid-2000s, but rebounded quickly. Thankfully, the American film industry is also finally going back to practical effects like in the new Mad Max or Star Wars.

Also wall camouflage:

pzjplthr.jpg

Also Kagebunshin no Jutsu:

4ufjwu2s.jpg

Today on Maskman Episode 13

There is a pastiche of then pop idol sensation Marina Watanabe:

rgqxsq3j.jpg

Being a Maskman must've been really lucrative since they own a portable TV in the 80s.

Except it's all a ploy to brainwash and kidnap the fans:

8rczreyf.jpg

And turn them into underground kingdom soldiers:

z6vbmfy9.jpg

See, if you've been complaining about Japan's emphasis on Idol Culture, Japanese TV took jabs at it even back in the 80s. After all it means less time and money spent on Maskman deteriorates Japanese culture as a whole!