Must Play Hacks?

Eon

Sorry if there's already a similar topic, I didn't see any.

Anyway, what are the best FE hacks out there (any game)? Preferably hacks with a good story and no reused maps, preferably a bit of custom GFX but that's not the most important thing.

I'm about to try Dream of Five for my first hack, as the trailer looks cool and I've heard the game is challenging.

You've probably heard before, but The Last Promise is a great hack, and it's complete. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18554

I just started this one, called Death or Glory, and it's really fun so far. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30722

Elibean Nights (I think that's how you spell it) is good, and you can choose the order in which you play chapters in. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34351

Midnight Sun, as Draco said, is really cool. It's also hacked from Fe8, so that's kinda unique. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35455

And yeah, Dream of Five is really cool. I also suggest playing that as well.

Green Patch has been my favorite so far. Really great balance and everything is new.

This sounded interesting so I googled it but the download link I found 404'd. I saw screens though and it looks like a lot of fun, any chance you could provide a link?

it would be great if, in these topics, people explain what they like (or don't like) in project x instead of just 'play this'

you should totally play mine though just because (once I get a patch out sometime this decade)

Edited by Lamia

Aha, what's so bad about Ostian Princess? (haven't played it, obviously)

It's just lyn's story with different portaits, and pretty glitchy at times. It sort of became a famous hack in the fire emblem community for its ridiculously bad quality. Play it if you want, but I warned you!

Depends on how you define 'completed'. If you mean full-length game the size of the vanilla games, yes. If you mean a 100% complete project, then no. There's also sacred contention, gheb fe, and probably a bunch of other reskins.

Really? There aren't any 100% complete projects? I at least thought The Last Promise was completely done. By completed though, I basically meant either full vanilla length or until the hack's story ended. No re skins though.

On another note, I've heard a lot of complaints about The Last Promise regarding it's writing and game design later on. How bad does it get? Still worth investing time into? The story is quite important to me in FE games, otherwise I start losing motivation to keep playing chapters (especially ones that take a long time to beat).

The Last Promise has pretty good quality throughout the whole game. Story-wise... it's not amazing but it's still worth playing.

But back to the quality, there are some really interesting designs and maps later on which I do appreciate so I do think it's definitely something you should play. It is probably the most famous hack there is to date. I love that it's an entirely original FE, and I can appreciate the work that goes into it because it does take TONS AND TONS of your time.

Really? There aren't any 100% complete projects? I at least thought The Last Promise was completely done. By completed though, I basically meant either full vanilla length or until the hack's story ended. No re skins though.

On another note, I've heard a lot of complaints about The Last Promise regarding it's writing and game design later on. How bad does it get? Still worth investing time into? The story is quite important to me in FE games, otherwise I start losing motivation to keep playing chapters (especially ones that take a long time to beat).

Technically, Corrupt Theocracy is 100% completed, but it...isn't the best hack out there. It's sequel, Sun God's wrath is hopefully good(it looks amazing). TLP is probably one of the closest to a complete hack.

Well, you see, ROM Hacking is hard and no more than a mere hobby for people, so they don't really spend all of their time Hacking, since they also have to focus on school or college. Hopefully we'll see more complete hacks in the future.

Although TLP is not the best hack you'll find, it was rather revolutionary as it was the first vanilla length hack, and one of the first hacks ever. Playing it is your choice though ;)

I basically meant either full vanilla length or until the hack's story ended. No re skins though.

In my opinion, you're missing out if you skip on Chaos Mode. Might just give it a try if you want to play a difficult full length hack?

As for long hacks, the longest one in the fandom other than TLP that is, in my opinion, the most fully edited and balanced, is Elibian Nights. If you haven't played that, go do so.

This sounded interesting so I googled it but the download link I found 404'd. I saw screens though and it looks like a lot of fun, any chance you could provide a link?

Sure, here's a link

http://ux.getuploader.com/FE4/download/96/%E7%B7%91%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%83%81.zip

Click the button that says 'ダウンロード' just below the link text on that page.

Also, someone asked if The Last Promise is the only completed hack. There's a few in English, mostly GBA ones. There's a lot in Japanese for all of the series, and a few in Chinese (someone even had a basic FE10 hack going on, dunno what the state of it is now), and I've seen one in Vietnamese or Thai, I forget which language.

Sure, here's a link

http://ux.getuploader.com/FE4/download/96/%E7%B7%91%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%83%81.zip

Click the button that says 'ダウンロード' just below the link text on that page.

Also, someone asked if The Last Promise is the only completed hack. There's a few in English, mostly GBA ones. There's a lot in Japanese for all of the series, and a few in Chinese (someone even had a basic FE10 hack going on, dunno what the state of it is now), and I've seen one in Vietnamese or Thai, I forget which language.

I've always tried to patch the green/midori hack, but it doesn't work for me. I get the Japanese fire emblem 8 ROM, but it doesn't work. Any tips?

Also, I haven't found any big hacking communities for other languages, like Chinese and Japanese. Do you know of any as big as Serenes Forest?