There is no need to be worried about 'pandering' or 'dumbing down'

BurningCandy

I'm writing this mainly cos of a fiasco on Gamefaqs.

Let's start.

Lots of Fire Emblem fans are scared. When they see all the face rubbing and S Supports, they are scared that Fire Emblem will becone a Waifu Sim.

They feel that gameplay is ignored in favor of pandering and that kind of garbage.

But that's not the case. IS know that this is a strategy sim, and that their 'pandering' is a fun lil add on.

Want proof?

Let's take a look at If.

In favor of gameplay:

1. New weapon triangle made just for the no durability system

2. You can set the AI of your streetpass team.

3. Pair Up has been neatened into Attack and Guard stance. Enemies can also use pair up too.

4. Personal skills give you reasons to use one unit over another, promoting diversity in your team and strategy too.

5. Reclassing mechanics have been changed, and so have crit mechanics.

Pandering:

1. FE Amie

2. Hot Springs

3. My Castle

4. Maids/Butlers as a class

If the lists are missing something, tell me and I'll add it.

They have been pandering to gameplay and otakus equally.

Each thing has been given thought and consideration and one side is NOT favored over the other.

I guess since they have been showing the pandering more, people only see that and forget the work they have done on gameplay. They've worked on BOTH people!

Thank you for reading; I sure hope you a) rest easy over the future of FE and b) have at least taken something from this...

NOTE

ITS OK IF YOU DONT LIKE PANDERING

OR GAMEPLAY

IM NOT TRYING TO FORCE YOU TO LIKE IT

Edited by BurningCandy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd disagree with reasons 3 and 4 being pandering.

3) My Castle essentially replaces the Barracks and in a sense the world map from Awakening. You have to build shops and buildings that have various functions to supply and maintain your army and it serves as a central hub for streetpass battles and integration of amiibo and possibly DLC. Furthermore you get the option to upgrade buildings and such to get better weapons and bonuses. Overall I think its a good feature and I'm looking forward to using it

4) Just an addition of another class into the mix. Introduces new skills and abilities unique to that class that you can use on the map.

Most people actually following the development of the game with be aware of the new and revised game mechanics. These may be positive or negative developments, but they are at least relevant to gameplay.

I won't defend the otaku/casual gamer pandering though. Just because something is optional, doesn't make it a good addition.

Just because it's a near equal opportunity doesn't mean that we can't dislike the other half of the coin. Look, I've actually gotten involved in the quote-unquote waifu wars, I'm not inherently against some anime tropes and everything else. But honestly, Hot Springs and much moreso Face Rubs are a step too far.

Honestly, I'm glad they are actually changing gameplay as much as they are. Even if some of the changes may not be appreciated, at least Intelligent Systems is still moving forward.

Since it appears that they are on the right track, extra "fluff" is not unwelcome.

Edited by Slyfox

I've no reason to worry over the additions to gameplay, the final product will most definitely be enjoyable in that regard.

But no, optionality doesn't make a mechanic good. You cannot make the claim that FE Amie would benefit the credibility of any of the story elements.

Here's something that's come to mind for me over the past few days.

My Castle is essentially the first time we're being given something in Fire Emblem to do outside of it's linear "chapter to chapter" style. I honestly wonder if a lot of older fans are scared for some reason that focusing on one will dumb down the other instead of the two coexisting side by side.

Honestly, after thinking about it, I think My Castle is an evolution of the fact that FE has continued to put more emphasis on the bonds between characters. FE4 started it with the marriage system, FE6 then introduced support conversations, and almost every game after continued to expand the support system. In a way, My Castle seems to further that Intelligent Systems has been doing for many games now.

Of course, even I'm not on board on every single thing like the Amie scenes, but I chalk that up to culture differences. But overall, this was made me all the more optimistic for the final version of the game.

"My Castle" is an updated and expanded version of the Barracks from Awakening, and works the same way while also incorporating and streamlining shops and resource gathering.

I think it's very smart, it's not pandering.

Edited by BRSxIgnition

I would say that the fear is justified. Otaku pandering fan service games with a bit of a strategy game to the side is what the market wants. Just check out the games made by Nippon Ichi Software and Idea Factory; even though their games are mechanically complex the game play is very shallow.

Edited by Shrouded In Myth

I would say that the fear is justified. Otaku pandering fan service games with a bit of a strategy game to the side is what the market wants. Just check out the games made by Nippon Ichi Software and Idea Factory; even though their games are mechanically complex the game play is very shallow.

pretty much this, granted i'm not really afraid of this too much, but some still lingers in my heart.

i'd just like a less fan service way of hanging out with your units, like challenging them to an archery contest or going hunting with them.

The gameplay improvements are more than enough for me not to worry about IS neglecting their core fanbase.

Though the otaku pandering does make me a little afraid to ask for it as a present.

I really don't see much pandering elements in this game,the face rubbing thing seems to me like an decent concept that got twisted with the idea of adding touch screen interaction. (The comments are another thing, but they work with what they have)And i don't see what is wrong with the hot-springs as it is cultural and not even limited to japan at all. And yeah the boy in the girl bath is cliche but what would you think would happen if a male kaimui walked into the female bath and i see no reason why they have to make it inaccessible.

^^ That sounds kind of like an apologist argument to me.

"face rubbing thing seems to me like an decent concept that got twisted with the idea of adding touch screen interaction"

If the implementation of a concept is bad, it was a mistake to include. No praise for half-baked ideas.

"The comments are another thing, but they work with what they have."

Now you're saying they have no choice but to use bad writing because they've already committed to a bad idea.

"And i don't see what is wrong with the hot-springs as it is cultural and not even limited to japan at all."

Communal bathing is cultural, can't argue with that but in all the baths I've been to, I've never seen people washing each others' backs. Not on the men's side at least.

"the boy in the girl bath is cliche but what would you think would happen if a male kamui walked into the female bath"

So don't let people walk into opposite gender baths.

"i see no reason why they have to make it inaccessible"

To avoid horribly cliche jokes.

Communal bathing is cultural, can't argue with that but in all the baths I've been to, I've never seen people washing each others' backs. Not on the men's side at least.

I can confirm this is a thing in Japan (and Korea as well). Men included. Perfectly normal, over there at least.

pretty much this, granted i'm not really afraid of this too much, but some still lingers in my heart.

i'd just like a less fan service way of hanging out with your units, like challenging them to an archery contest or going hunting with them.

Flexing with Rinka to improve supports. Would that count as bad or good fanservice?

^^ That sounds kind of like an apologist argument to me.

"face rubbing thing seems to me like an decent concept that got twisted with the idea of adding touch screen interaction"

If the implementation of a concept is bad, it was a mistake to include. No praise for half-baked ideas.

"The comments are another thing, but they work with what they have."

Now you're saying they have no choice but to use bad writing because they've already committed to a bad idea.

"And i don't see what is wrong with the hot-springs as it is cultural and not even limited to japan at all."

Communal bathing is cultural, can't argue with that but in all the baths I've been to, I've never seen people washing each others' backs. Not on the men's side at least..

Did i ever say it was a good idea? I said it was not necessarily pandering.

Can you wash your own back easily? Culture has changed yes, but i see no reason why it has to match my own. In the time FE if is set in i am pretty sure personal space wasn't quite the same as it was now.(and i think the back washing is cultural as well)

Considering how some Northern European countries find it perfectly socially acceptable to hang out nude with your buddies on Friday nights in a sauna, i dont see anything offensive or wrong about the onsen/hot springs thing. Perhaps we can chalk this up to American prudishness. Also, it looks like you can completely ignore building the structure for that purpose anyway. You put down the buildings in My Castle to use at your discretion and leisure. Im not sure if you have to place My Room/Kamui's Room or not (since thats where the patting thing is), but you might be able to dictate just what goes in your Castle. Therefore, if you dont want it there, you dont have to have it there. The Castle is for you to customize to your liking.

You can also hang out with your units as they meander around through your town/Castle.

^ Why? They might change the dialogue a bit sure, but what is so bad about it? We had a beach Dlc in awakening and those swimsuits were only slightly (if at all) more concealing than these.

Edited by goodperson707

The talk about hot springs might be a moot point, since I wouldn't be surprised if NoA either bowdlerised or outright removed them in the English release.

Wat. The characters arent actually nude in the video footage we saw. (Tsubaki was wearing white skivvies) And nothing in there was all that suggestive. If you think someone asking their friend (and liege) if its cool to wash their back is offensive and lewd, welp. Dont know what to tell you other than pointing and laughing. I think the localization will simply have more casual conversation injected into it. The maMU peeking in the girls' bath is likely good for a few laughs, and they are likely to have something resembling swimsuits on. So its really harmless.