Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?

BRSxIgnition

Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?

• Yes, I would like to see - or wouldn't mind - LGBT characters in "Fire Emblem: If"
    • No, I would not like to see - or would mind - LGBT characters in "Fire Emblem: If"

Punny title intended.

I'm not sorry.

I'd like to know what the general consensus is among those here on Serenes Forest regarding this issue. Regarding the poll, I have not included an "Undecided Option" as it serves little purpose for a question like this.

You're either fine with the inclusion or against it. If you're fine with it, please vote yes, If you are not, please vote no.

For clarification, the generally agreed on implementation of LGBT characters in if would be the following:

You may be a lord in this game, but you're also an Avatar, and in being the Avatar, you get access to all character supports, just like in Awakening.

However, IF they include LGBT characters, some romances need to be locked out depending on the gender of the Avatar/MU. For example, a lesbian Nyx wouldn't enter a romance with a male MU, just like a Gay Harold wouldn't enter a romance with a female MU.
By doing things this way, they respect the sexuality of the player by allowing them to choose their gender and fall for characters of the same gender - but they also respect the entire worldwide LGBT spectrum by acknowledging them and not automatically making everyone romanceable. Doing so would erase the LG and T, skipping right to a very pandering B.
Edited by BRSxIgnition

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I'd love to see LGBT romance in any game, but with character lists being as long as they are in this series, and romance being as common as it is, I see no objection to having a few same sex romances in there.

i support GOOD characters, a good lgbt character shouldn't have their entire personality revolve around their sexuality, they should be like Arcade Gannon from fall out new vegas.

I think this goes without saying.

I wouldn't say I'd love to see LGBT romance in any game, but with character lists being as long as they are in this series, and romance being as common as it is, I see no objection to having a few same sex romances in there.

Then you'd be fine with it then.

I'm not saying that every character needs to be some rarely-heard-of minority orientation or identity. I'm just saying that having 1 or 2 Lesbian, 1 or 2 Gay, and 1 or 2 Bisexual characters would be a very welcome inclusion.

3 - 6 LGBT characters will hardly ruin the game for straight players, and will do wonders for LGBT players.

Edited by BRSxIgnition

I can't say I'd "like" to see it, since I'm not into those kinds of couples. I have nothing against people that want it though.

Then you'd be fine with it.

I've updated the polls to include "would mind"/"wouldn't mind" in their wording.

You don't have to be LGBT to support it being implemented in a game.

Sure. Throw some in there and make them well-written.

I wouldn't have anything less.

Edited by BRSxIgnition

I don't mind too much.

Just... don't make it so that when I go into the FEif forums, I shouldn't have to wade through post after post of rage about this so that I can find a meaningful post.

E: Hey you can't change the wording while I'm typing. Cheater.

Regardless, I'm all for it if it's portrayed properly. I don't personally have a use for it, but I'm all for broadening the options to support those who do.

Edited by egobarrier

I could honestly care less if there's gay/lesbian relationships in the game, and no I'm not homophobic in anyway shape or form. But I swear this is getting downright infuriating with the newer fan base begging for gay relationships(not implying that you are) because two guys/girls can't just be good friends. This happened with awakening too iirc but I honestly doubt they will put those type of relationships in the game, I don't believe that Japan is very vocal about homosexuality.

But really, it would be pretty neat if they did do it. So I guess I wouldn't mind

I voted yes but i assume that you mean Canon/Confirmed LGBT Characters. FE has implied that some characters are LGBT several times before.(Not naming names so people won't bite my head off for naming pairings they do not support) but i would definitely support canon LGBT characters/supports as long as it isn't,(as said before) everybody being able to romance the avatar.

It's not what I play Fire Emblem for.

If it's in good for the people that wanted it.

Of course it's not.

Thing is though, it's advances like this that can make games exponentially better for LGBT players.

Imagine if you were limited to gay relationships in Awakening, even though you may be as straight as can be? It's not very fun.

Whether it's your main focus or a nice little extra, it's a positive feature.

I don't mind too much.

Just... don't make it so that when I go into the FEif forums, I shouldn't have to wade through post after post of rage about this so that I can find a meaningful post.

This applies to anything. People shouldn't whine or rage about any feature too much, really. This wouldn't be any different from the weapon durability being removed or similar "rage-inducing" change.

Kind of a limiting poll. Either you'd "love" it or you "would not like it"? Some people legitimately don't care about the game's relationships.

Regardless, I'm all for it if it's portrayed properly. I don't personally have a use for it, but I'm all for broadening the options to support those who do.

I've updated the poll to include "wouldn't mind"/"would mind" text, and changed the "love" text to "like" for the first option.

Just like you, I want it to be portrayed properly, which is why I outlined how that would wok best in the first post.

Edited by BRSxIgnition

I'd love it. Especially if it is well-written! I usually like LGBT characters and it is nice to see them existing in series I really like.

That's my exact stance on this.

I loved having a Lesbian, Bisexual Male, and Gay character in Valkyria Chronicles.

Seeing something similar in "Fire Emblem: If" would be a great thing.

Only if they're well-written and make sense.

I'd be much more interested in incestuous couples though. I see nothing wrong with sibling incest.

Yeah, agree. There's a lot more interesting stuff involved with that too.

You could argue that LGBT romances would be really interesting, but in the end, it's usually really tacky and shitty. "This character is gay" "How do we make him convincingly gay?" "I KNOW! LET'S GIVE HIM A STUPID SINGSONG VOICE AND TALK ABOUT PENISES ALL THE TIME LOLOLOL WE'RE SO EDGY". This is why I hate LGBT shit being added in games. It's usually added to be edgy or for shock value. Of course, I hate romance in just about every game which is why I avoid most of those games/don't support in FE. The S rank system in FE13 was fucking terrible, and Chrom/Avatar was the worst thing I've ever read, possibly worse than some fan fiction out there.

So no, I don't support it. Inevitably, it'll just add dumb controversy to the game that doesn't need to exist.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

As a gay man, it was a tad disappointing for me to not be able to have the option romance Chrom or other men as the male avatar when I played Awakening. I acknowledge that for plot reasons, same sex relations weren't possible, due to the existence of time-traveling, biological children. I also know that the characters in Awakening and If are entirely fictional and just a bunch of zeroes and ones, so it isn't earth-shattering should they continue Awakening's heteronormative trend. I'm a bit of a sucker for romance, so that's why I hope there are some gay options.

However, it would be nice to have well-written LGBT characters for a more inclusive environment. I don't want their sexuality rubbed in my face and have them end up as a campy character, only to enforce negative stereotypes. Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I appreciate nothing but an entire sausage fest, etc. Anyway, should there be any LGBT characters, I don't want their entire character arc relating only to their gayness (like Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4). Can't we have relatively 'regular' characters who just happen to be gay?

All in all, I will welcome LBGT characters, should they be written like real human beings.

Edited by Leif

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

As a gay man, it was a tad disappointing for me to not be able to have the option romance Chrom or other men as the male avatar when I played Awakening. I acknowledge that for plot reasons, same sex relations weren't possible, due to the existence of time-traveling, biological children. I also know that the characters in Awakening and If are entirely fictional and just a bunch of zeroes and ones, so it isn't earth-shattering should they continue Awakening's heteronormative trend. I'm a bit of a sucker for romance, so that's why I hope there are some gay options.

However, it would be nice to have well-written LGBT characters for a more inclusive environment. I don't want their sexuality rubbed in my face and have them end up as a campy character, only to enforce negative stereotypes. Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I appreciate nothing but an entire sausage fest, etc. Anyway, should there be any LGBT characters, I don't want their entire character arc relating only to their gayness (like Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4). Can't we have relatively 'regular' characters who just happen to be gay?

All in all, I will welcome LBGT characters, should they be written like real human beings.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Only if they're well-written and make sense.

I'd be much more interested in incestuous couples though. I see nothing wrong with sibling incest.

i agree but it seems WAY too controversial atm...

also not gonna call anyone out but seems there's a lot of homophobes in denial like "I just don't like seeing gay people but im not homophobic trust me :///" but yeah and I support having characters with distinct sexualities like in Dragon Age: Inquisition but it seems like it'd really limit their supports for homosexual characters since they'd have about two to three possible partners. so, i would also be satisfied if every character was bisexual. I also won't be tremendously disappointed if there isn't same-sex supports but it'd be nice to have some inclusion, yknow?