Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?

BRSxIgnition

Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?

• Yes, I would like to see - or wouldn't mind - LGBT characters in "Fire Emblem: If"
    • No, I would not like to see - or would mind - LGBT characters in "Fire Emblem: If"

If you're quoting me...you totally missed the point. Again, I have NO problem whatsoever with gay people. Now, that's not to say that I enjoy gay pairings and the like. If people want it and it's in the game, good for them. As for me, I don't care too much, I just would personally lean a little bit towards not having them. Just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

And again, this post 100%.

This, but I don't like the idea of just hinting at it as it will cause massive debates on if they're gay or not.

This, seriously. People already argued a lot over a certain blue-haired mercenary commander's sexuality (even though there weren't really any implications that he was straight OR gay/bi), I don't want this happening again...

Now, if we got someone like Heather, sure, okay, that's fine. She's very clearly lesbian, since she's actually stated to be looking to meet other females and when it comes to men, she's only interested in making them THINK she likes them.

That is completely untrue, I for one only really support canon(or might as well be canon) parings so the vast majority of the pairings i like are hetro because of the amount of it that is in media. And not that many characters from media i enjoy, have multiple canon pairings that involve both genders, if at all. So if a character is paired in canon with a character of the same gender that is fine with me. But i don't have any real hard feelings on wether i like a type of pairing more as for canon pairing purposes i don't see any real difference. And quite frankly i dislike most fandoms non-canon slash pairings (but mainly only the bad slash fan-fiction) But i do support LGBT pairings as i believe LGBT people should be represented in Media (if it is not offensively done) for a number of reasons. So yeah i am sorta against most non-canon same sex ships, that doesn't mean i don't or can't support LGBT relationships in Media including FE:if.

...Oh. Well then. xP

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't have a problem with lgbt people, I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist"

lol right?

I support it. Not every character needs to be, but having one or two really well written options would be nice.

I don't have a problem with lgbt people, I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist.

Without the quotas!

Also note I don't understand acknowledge as in accept they exist, but as in appreciate...

Pls hold back your salt, as 1. do not care and 2. do not want to waste time on this endless debate.

you...your...your picture is from a fan art of Ryouma and Marx getting married.....

I feel shoehorning a non lgbt character to be one is pretty lame.

Just make a solid good character who happens to be lgbt.

Though then I'm faced with, MU can have his pick of (thus far lady) characters, so why not throw guys in there too? Which is fine.

But, having a specifically gay character, as a REAL character, would be interesting.

Honestly in the whole support it or not controversy I really don't give a fuck.

If you're gonna do a specific character, do them well. That's all.

This is the common consensus, and one that I agree with.

In this sense, I hope they handle it more like Dragon Age Inquisition and less like Valkyria Chronicles. (I'm looking at you Jann.)

I don't partake in s/s shippings or content but I'm totally for the inclusion of them. Variety is the spice of life and all, and it's super important to have representation. I get to enjoy content that's aimed towards me, and would like to see others have that same privilege. I like seeing other people happy :)

I'm all for diversity in video games. I'm not for stereotypical or offensive representation of the LGBT community. So if they add in LGBT relationships they better do it right and treat those relationships with respect and not mockery. From what we've seen of the game I don't think the game will treat their character well, but at least it won't be because they are LGBT.

He was quoting me and TOTALLY misinterpreting what I said. I'm fairly certain he was trying to start a flame war himself. Anyway, good post.

I wasn't quoting you, per se, I was paraphrasing what a lot of posts in this thread essentially boil down to (regardless of whether those people realize it or not)

I don't agree with the inclusion of LGBT characters but I'm abstaining from voting regardless.

I have no right to tell people how to live their lives.

yea because to me it shows how ludicrous it is (at least to me)

As the artist of the picture, while I intended the comic for humorous purposes, it was meant as a joke on how Ryouma and Marx getting married would solve the issue of WHICH SIDE KAMUI GOES than "lol gays", and the bride dress was simply because FEA doesn't exactly have a groom class so I gotta improvise with what I got

If you're gonna use it to show the idea is ridiculous please stop using it

I wasn't quoting you, per se, I was paraphrasing what a lot of posts in this thread essentially boil down to (regardless of whether those people realize it or not)

exactly. I can't even find that person's original post and there's just a lot of people in denial of being homophobic on this thread, it wasn't specifically to that person...

EDIT:

As the artist of the picture, while I intended the comic for humorous purposes, it was meant as a joke on how Ryouma and Marx getting married would solve the issue of WHICH SIDE KAMUI GOES than "lol gays", and the bride dress was simply because FEA doesn't exactly have a groom class so I gotta improvise with what I got

YOOOOOOOOOO lmao

Edited by Chrosion

I won't discuss, this here. Spill your salt all you want.

However as I respect you as the artist and your art and if you insist on having me take it down, so be it.

Just a little hint: Next time you post something on the internet (especially images), don't expect people to use it just as you intent to.

I am weary however of the fandom's reaction if they do add canon LGBT supports/characters, from my experience from other fandoms that introduced/added a LGBT character that wasn't a one off character, there seem to always be people who will hate the inclusion but will hide behind saying it was bad writing/forced/didn't fit the character. Or saying that the creators are pandering to the LGBT fan-base/or is being influenced by LGBT pressure or political reasons, Not saying that people can not honestly find the writing bad but some people almost certainly were using it as a excuse.

"I don't have a problem with lgbt people, I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist"

And this line seems to sum up some elements i have seen pretty well but i would add

The LGBT Charecter(s) were badly done (never-mind me not giving any good reason as to why) but I don't have a problem with lgbt people, ( I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist).

Edited by goodperson707

I would not mind more diversity in the Fire Emblem rosters but wouldn't limit this just to sexuality. Racial diversity, ability-based diversity, age-based diversity etc. It hardly takes much to notice that the majority of Fire Emblem characters are white, able-bodied, young, and straight (and it can probably be argued that many forms of modern popular media in the Western world follows the same trend).

I'm not saying it's any kind of competition, because that would start a flame war that could probably burn the Internet itself.

Based on some of the logic on display in this thread, does the lack of a "Do you support elderly/ethnic/disabled characters with supports" imply we're all 'neutral' and therefore support the status quo of their relative lack of representation among FE casts? I'd be careful about confusing apathy for sexuality(or other issue)-related supports in a single video game series for supporting the lack of representation of non-heterosexual individuals in modern media and society.

Any character should be well written, no matter their sexuality. I'll get annoyed at characters that are one trick ponies whether that trick is "I like to fight", "I'm such a klutz" or "I prefer dudes to chicks".

One potential issue I can foresee with the implementation of non-heterosexual characters is this:

The average FE roster is about 40 and the average support pool seems to be about 8.

Let's assume that of those 8, 4 are with the same sex, 4 with the opposite.

In this hypothetical FE game, that would ordinarily mean 4 romance options.

You make one gay male character.

Do they still have to have the same ratio of romantic to non-romantic supports?

Having 4 romantic supports on a gay character would mean making four other same-sex characters gay or bisexual. I'm not saying this is in any way bad or wrong but if you write one good gay character would it then impact on the writing of other characters, especially if they take an already written character, slap a sticker that says 'gay' on the character and call it a day?

Furthermore, if representation was made to be accurate, in most parts of the world, 90+% of people identify as heterosexual. In a character cast of 40, does that only leave room for four non-heterosexual characters and what is equality in this situation?

And how do you work out how many romantic/non-romantic supports to have for bisexual characters? Do they still get four of each or do they get to romance all their supports? What is equality in this situation? A representative cast of 40 would include roughly 3 or 4 non-heterosexual characters. Do people think this is enough, just right, or too much?

I realise this post is long and contains a fair few 'what ifs' but I think that everyone might need to take a step back and think about how LGBT+ supports would be properly implemented in the Fire Emblem series. I'd also like to encourage open minds from both sides of this debate and respect for each others views, even if they do not match your own. :)

Don't mind as long as they're not comical about it.

Gay relationships are relationships too, they should handle 'em similar to or the same as other relationships in the game.

I have an idea of how it might work (this is something I came up with in a couple of minutes, so don't blame me if it is horrible.)

They can make it so that everybody can get an S-Support with everyone they can support with. Before you say, "An entire army of bisexual people doesn't make sense," I think it could be more along the lines of previous games' A-Supports, instead of Awakening's S-Supports.. S-Supports could be in one of three categories. Those categories being undeniably romantic, undeniably platonic, and vague. The vague S-Supports could be interpreted as either romantic or platonic, depending on your preferences. For example, let's say that Male Kamui can get an S-Support with Gunther, Joker, and Cyrus among others. Gunther's conversation and ending could be undeniably platonic, saying their relationship was like that of a standard father-and-son. Joker's could be vague, saying something along the lines of "Some historians claim that their relationship was odd compared to the typical master and servant." This can be interpreted as either platonic (odd because they were close friends) or romantic (odd because they were in a romantic relationship as well.) Finally, Cyrus' could be undeniably romantic, which would be relatively easy, while somewhat controversial, to explain. They could even mention the controversy in the conversation or ending. Any thoughts?

I have to say, the subtle hostility in some of the comments is getting annoying and needs to stop. I kind of expected that to happen when I saw this thread but that still doesn't mean we need false civility.

Don't mind as long as they're not comical about it.

Gay relationships are relationships too, they should handle 'em similar to or the same as other relationships in the game.

this is honestly why i, while i would like to see well written stuff, i just know its not going to happen.

whenever writers do this stuff, they either make it their entire character or make it comedy, which isn't respectful to anyone, going back to arcade gannon as a prime example of how this should be done.

I won't discuss, this here. Spill your salt all you want.

However as I respect you as the artist and your art and if you insist on having me take it down, so be it.

Just a little hint: Next time you post something on the internet (especially images), don't expect people to use it just as you intent to.

Doesn't matter if it's the internet; It's my right as an artist.

Please use something else for your avatar.

this is honestly why i, while i would like to see well written stuff, i just know its not going to happen.

whenever writers do this stuff, they either make it their entire character or make it comedy, which isn't respectful to anyone, going back to arcade gannon as a prime example of how this should be done.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to say, thank you. Was having trouble putting it into words.

There's too many times where there's a gay character - which is cool - but it's their whole character and have no depth besides that.

If it isn't tokenism, then I don't mind.

Should they be in the game, though? That's not up to me to decide. Essentially, I don't care. Unless it's bad.

Edited by Tryhard

I do not support the inclusion of avatar x character romance of any kind, be it straight or gay. If we're talking about supports between non-avatar characters, however, then sure, some canon same-sex couples would be a welcome addition to the series. Provided the writing is decent and the characters' sexual orientation isn't exploited as some sort of novelty, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy reading their support convo's just as much as I would for any other couple. I don't really see why anyone would be opposed to this.

Based on some of the logic on display in this thread, does the lack of a "Do you support elderly/ethnic/disabled characters with supports" imply we're all 'neutral' and therefore support the status quo of their relative lack of representation among FE casts? I'd be careful about confusing apathy for sexuality(or other issue)-related supports in a single video game series for supporting the lack of representation of non-heterosexual individuals in modern media and society.

I agree with you, staying neutral really only benefits the status quo of narrow representation. I actually find it quite offensive that underrepresented groups have to have a reason to be included while the majority does not.