[FE7/FE8] Up to 16 music tracks & 12 sounds/notes

Agro

Download the patch here (FE7)
And here for FE8

Using my super thinking powers and Brendor's hacking-know and also pure serendipity, Brendor and I have managed to figure out how to get up to 16 music tracks read in FE7 & FE8, as well as up to and including 12 notes.

All you need to do is BACK UP YO ROM FIRST, then install the patch above using Nintenlord's UPS Patcher (NUPS).

IGNORE_zpsjsnshxol.png

For those of you fiddling with modified ROMs, you'll need to tick "ignore" when patching.

Please note this is currently UNTESTED and therefore I can't guarantee that your ROM doesn't explode when using this (but it probably won't).

It's important to note that this patch will allow up to 12 SOUNDS and 16 TRACKS, meaning if you have 12 fully-occupied tracks and one of them has more than one note, you'll get some track loss. It also means that the game will cut out 4 tracks from 16 fully-occupied tracks.

If you're wondering why this is significant:

BEFORE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvGR7oIHArg

AFTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0joAlUYH-s

(stereo sound required to fully appreciate the difference)

Edited by Agro

This looks rather impressive, I've always found 8 tracks a little limiting at times. Is this only for FE7, or does have it have potential uses in say FE8?

I was looking into an FE8 equivalency but I never found a guinea pig volunteer to test it out.

We believe in FE8 the same holds true for changing $2900 to 0C E0 but I haven't had the chance to test it yet - perhaps someone like @AlfredKamon would like to?

that's just one piece of it though

Yeah, when I get the chance I'll figure out FE8's RAM pointers and make an FE8 version. It would probably take less than an hour... I just need to finish my exams first @_@

Edited by Agro

Hey. That's awesome! I'll try this out too. So many songs I have sound bad because of this lack of tracks.

Nice job you two!

Edited by Solum

It involves porting actual samples from the FE12 ROM, which you might consider cheating, but it sounds awesome so it doesn't matter. I can write up a tutorial one day if you'd like - as long as I know at least one person is going to use it, I'm happy to make one.

Yes please. I made a nifty couple of songs (because I got a bit excited about the idea of making a hack and inserting my own music), and then it didn't sound good when I put my music in. I then tried a MIDI from a game, and it just sounded... Okay. So disappointing. So yeah, I'd love that. I remember hearing the Dream of Five music from there, and I remember the person was like "AGRO SO GOOD..." And yeah, he was right. So learning from that would be great.

It involves porting actual samples from the FE12 ROM, which you might consider cheating, but it sounds awesome so it doesn't matter. I can write up a tutorial one day if you'd like - as long as I know at least one person is going to use it, I'm happy to make one.

A second potential user of a tutorial right here

Awesome guys. Let me know specifically if there are any parts you guys get caught up on. My plan is to create a written tutorial and then a video walk-through, possibly even with live feedback (like a webinar!) from other users so that you have the opportunity to ask about things I hadn't necessarily thought about.

As Primefusion has pointed out there's a few glitchy things going on with the patch at the moment. Nothing gamebreaking, but definitely something that requires a slightly more involved process. I'll have to have a look at it and actually do it in about a week but rest assured, I know what the problem is and how to fix it.

I use the Sappy/Mid2AGB method for the sequences, but the samples I steal from the FE12 ROM itself (which is why the electric guitar sounds so good) and insert with Sappy as well. The latter is... a fairly advanced process as far as music hacking goes, but if you're familiar enough with ROM hacking it shouldn't be too hard to wrap your head around.

I've updated the link with a new patch that has a new configuration; once again, it needs to be tested, though on the surface it looks fine to me. If you can't be bothered getting out your patcher, paste-write this at $69D668:

10 5B 00 03 28 16 00 03 0C 00 00 00 20 5D 00 03 00 60 00 03 0C 00 00 00 60 5D 00 03 28 1B 00 03 02 00 01 00 30 5E 00 03 C8 1B 00 03 02 00 01 00 A0 5D 00 03 68 1C 00 03 04 00 01 00 90 5A 00 03 A8 1D 00 03 04 00 01 00 D0 5A 00 03 E8 1E 00 03 05 00 01 00 E0 5C 00 03 78 20 00 03 04 00 01 00 F0 5D 00 03 B8 21 00 03 02 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

• 2 months later...

I updated the OP with an FE8 version, which is currently untested, for the most part. If anyone would like to apply it and make sure their game doesn't scream, that would be great. FYI this is a good patch to apply to even the vanilla ROM since it prevents certain songs such as Powerful Foe from having tracks that cut out due to sound effects. Certain songs like Inescapable Fate actually have 9 tracks at certain points (meaning in a vanilla ROM they get cut out).

FE6 version forthcoming.

Edited by Agro

Certain songs like Inescapable Fate actually have 9 tracks at certain points (meaning in a vanilla ROM they get cut out).

I wondered about that when I had a look through the vanilla ROM with Sappy. I wonder why the developers bothered with the ninth track?

I'd normally link you to gogojjtech's tutorial but it seems the images don't work anymore. Have a read of it anyway and if you can't work it out from that I'm more than happy to write something to walk you and others through it. You'll also need the latest version of VGMTrans since the one linked doesn't work with FE12.

I wondered about that when I had a look through the vanilla ROM with Sappy. I wonder why the developers bothered with the ninth track?

If I had to guess I'd say that for funsies Tsujiyoko decided to make her composition a fuller one by putting it in but let the game cancel out the one she didn't need? Gosh, who knows.
Edited by Agro