[FE7] A few basic questions.

Vis_Mage

Since I started hacking about a week ago, I've more or less been working on the bare bones of my project, just getting the hang of things. Now that I'm getting into the meat of hacking though, I did come across a few questions. I'm pretty sure they're all simple enough not to warrant individual topics, though.

1. Is it possible to change the level limit on a per class basis, and if so, how? (Example: Marth from FE1 could be LV. 30)

2. If I insert some maps for testing, but later decide to change them up (be it tileset / size / etc.) can I simply re-insert them over the old maps, or would they take up a different amount of space now?

3. Same as above, but for events (added in an event without text to test, later inserting same event, but with text / more in it)

4, How do I go about setting if a unit is weak to bows?

5. How do I go about setting the terrain movement of classes?

Thank you! :Roy:

1: Cam made a thing

2: if the map is the same size or theres no data directly after it you can just overwrite it otherwise you need to put it somewhere else

3: same
4: like effectiveness? create an array of class ID's you want to be vulnerable then set the pointer in the item editor

5: there are pointers to this data in the class structs so go there and edit the data (don't think there are modules for this)

Cheers

for 2 and 3 it's generally good practice to set aside more space than you need just in case you come back to something later and expand it. there's a ton of free space in an untouched ROM anyway, and if you expand your ROM, you have way more free space than you ever need.

1. Is it possible to change the level limit on a per class basis, and if so, how? (Example: Marth from FE1 could be LV. 30)

http://feuniverse.us/t/variable-level-caps/

e:

note that the patch itself has some not-well-documented setup associated with it that i haven't gotten around to automating; you'll want to set all of the bytes at the initial table location (i don't know offhand where that is; it should be documented in the thread) to 0x14 (20) and then change the ones you want to mess with specifically

(this also serves as my monthly reminder to make the damn patch easier to use)

Edited by CT075

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks for the link. I've been having a bit of trouble applying it, and getting it to work. To clarify, the only file I need to use/apply is the impl.dmp file correct, or am I missing something obvious here?

One other likely simple question that I can't seem to find an answer to, could someone please explain / link to an explanation on how to set up a chapter event file that uses the preparations screen? The main things I'm stumped on is how I can set the number of units allowed, setting required units, and how to set the locations in which these units are allowed to start. (In short, pretty much everything to do with the prep screen :Haar: )

ALRIGHT because i'm a shitter and couldn't be bothered to make the patch simple, here's a longass explanation on how to install that monstrosity

FIRST - download my patcher (it's one of the zips). For simplicity, put your ROM and impl.dmp in the same folder as run.py

SECOND - Run run.py. You should get a command line window (if you don't, i'll deal with that troubleshooting then). Type in the following:

open rom_name.gba // this might break if your ROM name has spaces; you might want to temporarily rename your ROM if that's the case
load impl.dmp
process
patch
close rom_name.gba
THIRD - you should be able to edit the data in the way described in the thread

About prep screen -

If you have an opening event that ends with ENDB and specify that the chapter has a prep screen in the chapter data editor (in nightmare), the prep screen should just work for you. Positions of available units is the positions of the units in the Good unit group (or the equivalent in your event file), as you might expect the number of deployable units is the length of that list. Forced/banned units require the use of the force/ban patches from this repository.

Edited by CT075

ALRIGHT because i'm a shitter and couldn't be bothered to make the patch simple, here's a longass explanation on how to install that monstrosity

FIRST - download open rom_name.gba // This might break if your ROM name has spaces, I don't remember. To be safe, rename your ROM before patching load impl.dmp process patch close new_rom_name.gba<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12592553/Cam"href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12592553/Cam" s%20notes="" applications="" assembly%20patcher="" foldir.html"="">THIRD - you should be able to edit the data in the way described in the thread

About prep screen -

If you have an opening event that ends with ENDB and specify that the chapter has a prep screen in the chapter data editor (in nightmare), the prep screen should just work for you. Positions of available units is the positions of the units in the Good unit group (or the equivalent in your event file), as you might expect the number of deployable units is the length of that list. Forced/banned units require the use of the force/ban patches from this repository.

You linked a patcher and the link doesn't even work :(

Edited by Avril Lavigne

It's in "applications/assembly patcher" in my doc (which is linked in my sig), find it for yourself

E:

for the record, SF's bbcode parser is shit; it should work now.

Edited by CT075