Japanese or English voice audio ?

ichikawa

which do you prefer, Japanese or English voice audio ?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. you will play [if] with Japanese or English voice audio

No one noticed the thread necro... lol.

I usually view things in their native language in possible but if the dub is good, I'll play it just for rarity of good English dubs. Dual audio should come standard for internationally released games.

Well, it's better than creating a new thread that talks about the same thing.

Honestly, I'm actually surprised that that are japanese voice overs in the west, considering that I've heard that it is very expensive and very troublesome to get japanese voice acting in the west.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer: Both.

It's likely that I will play with the English audio, for all three play-throughs, first.

I could probably bare any voice acting that I don't like on the characters unless they do something particularly awful for the ones I like, then I will definitely change to Japanese audio (*nervously looks at Iago and wonders if they might do a voice like Excellus ... don't harm the bae*).

I've spent dozens upon dozens of hours playing this game listening to everyone talk Japanese. The second I get the English version I'm going with English and never looking back. I can only take so much EETO and IKU YOOO and KAKEGOUWAIIDESUKA per year.

Oh my goodness this. This is not even mentioning more than half the female cast trying to sound like prepubescent girls. I actually had to stop playing for a day in July because my ears genuinely physically hurt due to the female voices.

I should mention that I usually prefer any work in its original language, but I can't stand these completely unnatural and forced high-pitched voices which are not only annoying and hurt my ears, but actively ruin any immersion I have since I can't hear the character talking, but the voice actor/actress.

Edited by Thane

It'll be English for me. I have a rough understanding of Japanese and could get along with it, but the huge cast of cute anime girls is what's putting me off. It's what really annoys me about almost any Japanese work - when a grown woman voice acting a character sounds like they're four years old and have inhaled helium. It's not hard at all to voice a Japanese woman speaking normally and make that sound cute, but I guess they just want to constantly make everyone squeaky to further aid this "waifu emblem" thing they're doing.

Depend of how the English's voice acting is. If it is good, I will go with English but if it become bad, I will go for Japenese.

Oh my goodness this. This is not even mentioning more than half the female cast trying to sound like prepubescent girls. I actually had to stop playing for a day in July because my ears genuinely physically hurt due to the female voices.

I should mention that I usually prefer any work in its original language, but I can't stand these completely unnatural and forced high-pitched voices which are not only annoying and hurt my ears, but actively ruin any immersion I have since I can't hear the character talking, but the voice actor/actress.

I'm agree for the female cast but strangely this doesnt seems to affect me. Maybe because I don't understand what they say or because of anime (I've heard much worse than Felicia: Serara in Log Horizon for example).

English voices, all the time. I cannot stand hearing voices like Felicia, Oboro, even Hana, one of my favorite characters. Especially since we've heard part of Hana's English voice, I have to say I vastly prefer that over her Japanese voice.

I hope they have Julie Ann Taylor as Luna's voice actress!

I've played Fire Emblem Awakening with the English audio, and will do the same with Fates.

Also, English dub voice acting for video games is slightly different from anime because with anime, you need to match the voice with the mouth flaps (which is pretty hard to do) while with video games, you have a little more liberties with the voice acting (it also plays part into the localization process as well, as evident in Awakening where the English dub had Nowi and Ricken sound more teen-like despite the said two characters being children). So comparing voice acting in video games to anime is like comparing apples to oranges.

It'll be English for me. I have a rough understanding of Japanese and could get along with it, but the huge cast of cute anime girls is what's putting me off. It's what really annoys me about almost any Japanese work - when a grown woman voice acting a character sounds like they're four years old and have inhaled helium. It's not hard at all to voice a Japanese woman speaking normally and make that sound cute, but I guess they just want to constantly make everyone squeaky to further aid this "waifu emblem" thing they're doing.

Well generally speaking, Japanese voice acting has a tendency to be higher pitched than English voice acting, hence it usually the reason why Japanese voice actresses manage to easily get away voicing lolis than most English dub counterparts. Heck, it's not uncommon for a 20 something year old male voice actor to voice a 10-12 year old because of this. That being said, there are a few voice actresses in the English language side of things that specialize in voicing lolis due to their naturally high-pitched voice (Sandy Fox and Christine Marie Cabanos come into mind).

I've never really had the desire to play Awakening with Japanese voices, and the same really goes for Fates. The only voice I truly have a liking for is Oboro's, but regardless, I don't really see any reason to play in Japanese. Not to mention, I don't really care for a lot of the high pitched female voices that the Japanese tend to give the ladies, so it'll just be English for me.

It depends for me so I say both. I tend to like the actual acting in the Japanese dub better but I feel like the pitches and qualities of the English voices suits the characters a little more.

Like from the trailer, I prefer Elise's English dub voice over Elise's Japanese dub voice.

It would be really cute if either Elise or Sakura regarded male Kamui as 'big bro' like how Nanako does to Yu in Persona 4

It depends for me so I say both. I tend to like the actual acting in the Japanese dub better but I feel like the pitches and qualities of the English voices suits the characters a little more.

Like from the trailer, I prefer Elise's English dub voice over Elise's Japanese dub voice.

It would be really cute if either Elise or Sakura regarded male Kamui as 'big bro' like how Nanako does to Yu in Persona 4

I predicted Elise would, and Sakura might go with something like "Brother" or something, seeing as she calls Mikoto, "Mother" in the trailer~

By now I have gotten used to the japanese voices for the characters. Hearing them in English will definitly be weird at first soo..

My first few playthroughs will be with Japanese voices, but afterwards I can see myself changing to the dub just to keep things fresh.

Unless the dub is absolute crap, of course. But since Awakening was so good I don't think that'll be the case.

As someone who has the Japanese version, i'll play both. Once it is localized I will stick to english in that copy. Most of the voice acting is pretty good, but I don't know how much I can handle some of the female voices and the older Kamui voice barking Leons name.

I'm planning on playing it in English, seeing as how I've already been playing it in Japanese;

I loved the Awakening voices, so I have confidence they'll do well for this one...

though I'll admit, I really dislike Aqua's singing voice.

I'm most worried about them making certain characters have really high-pitched voices,

but seeing as how Elise and Sakura from the trailer had more mature sounding ones,

I think we'll be fine * U *

Though it's nice to have to option to swap to Japanese if they somehow screw the English one up.

I was really happy with Awakening's dub work, including them changing some voices dramatically from Japanese to English, so if Fates has something of similar quality, I'll probably stick with the English. Since they're voice bytes as well, I don't have to worry about the voices butchering pronunciations of Japanese names and terms in Hoshido, either. I'm not a fan of how women sound in Japanese dubs for the most part.

I'll use the English voices occasionally, although I'll almost definitely use the Japanese ones more. I've got If, so I'm used to the JP voices. Whilst I agree that the high pitched voices are unnecessary, I think the English dub of Awakening made most of them too deep, that and I thought most of the voices sounded the same. (Yes, I know some characters shared voice actors.)

Basically, I didn't like Awakening's English dub, didn't like the voices shown in Fates E3 trailer, so I will be using the JP voices.