Japanese or English voice audio ?

ichikawa

which do you prefer, Japanese or English voice audio ?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. you will play [if] with Japanese or English voice audio

I actually may play with the Japanese voices more than the English voices because I actually... like voices like Elise's and Felicia's >_>. My MU also has the same voice in my IK run at the moment. I also like a lot of the japanese voices in general. There actually aren't any that I've purely disliked so far.

As long as there is the same amount of voice work in Fates as there is in If, I'll probably end up at least giving English voices a try. However, I'll probably end up switching to subtitles + Japanese eventually (or at least play through each campaign once with Japanese + subs).

Edited by KP Joey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English. The voices I've heard in english already, minus Kamui and Elise, sound impressive.

However, Takumi and especially Leon sound older than they should. ESPECIALLY ELISE HOLY SHIT

But I'll take that over the stereotypical high pitched mess that is your female anime voice actresses.

English. The voices I've heard in english already, minus Kamui and Elise, sound impressive.

However, Takumi and especially Leon sound older than they should. ESPECIALLY ELISE HOLY SHIT

But I'll take that over the stereotypical high pitched mess that is your female anime voice actresses.

To be fair, Takumi and Leo seems to be especially serious and/or emotional in those scenes, maybe they doesn't always sound like that.

Especially Takumi, who sounds particularly angry, so that may not be his usual tone of voice.

The bigger question for me is whether or not they'll dub all the versions of "if~one's thoughts", like they did with the trailer, and whether or not we'll be able to switch between those versions.

I think it would be disappointing for them to keep the song in Japanese, as the lyrics are important to the story and everyone is speaking English. But there are several versions of the song they'd have to dub, and the trailer didn't set the bar very high.

I could see them handling it a few ways:

1) Leaving the song in Japanese and calling it "ancient Hoshidan" or something.

2) Dubbing it in cutscenes where Azura sings it, but leaving as it is when it is background music on maps.

3) Completely dubbing every version of the track.

If the song was dubbed, and dubbed poorly, I'd be more conflicted about the language setting.

I'll be using English voice acting.

...I always go with English voice acting, even when the option for Japanese is there.

And like CyborgZeta, I'm not that attached to the Japanese cast, either. (But... I don't think they're bad or anything...)

For games, I tend to prefer English audio, but there are some exceptions. Though, I watched half of a Nohr playthrough on youtube and I kinda never want to hear Harold's Japanese voice again. It was just a solid 20 minutes of "seigi no mikata" "haHAha" over and over again. Hopefully the dual guard lines aren't as annoying in English.

Edited by Oshimos

I'm going to go with Japanese. Granted I can understand a fair bit and will probably understand the cutscenes, I still always prefer Japanese over English. Not saying there is anything wrong with the English voices, from what we've heard, they're pretty good.

However, whenever they dub things, the character always comes out different. Like in Awakening, I listened to both English and Japanese, and the most notable person who changed was Sumia. In the Japanese dub (even with English dialogue) she was a silly, clumsy girl who messed everything up. In English she came out to be a stronger character (which isn't a bad thing) and had more attitude. I remember reading it somewhere, but it's because of the different societies of eastern and western countries and how people are portrayed.

I like the Japanese voices better because we get a sense of what the character really is like before localization.

I generally prefer Japanese voices, but I do have exceptions at times depending on how close the voice is to the character. Most of the time I feel the Japanese voices hit it better (due to being cast with the original character designs in mind even if the females tend to have ear-piercing voices) but I've seen a fair share of games who cast more fitting English counterparts. (Not to mention I'm trying to better my listening skills in Japanese.)

So I'll probably keep them in Japanese for if/Fates, and then briefly flick over to English for curiosity's sake. If I like the English VA's better, then heck, I'll keep 'em English.

Prefer English just because I grew up with it. Now the only reason I tired out Japanese is to mess around. The Japanese voices are pretty nice, but when I read Nowi's and Nah's support in Japanese..... let's just say I'll be more wary not choosing their convos in Japanese

It will all depend on the execution. I really, really dislike Awakening's english dub, it's like a overacted anime dub.

Hopefully, this time around I'll like the english dub, so I'll have fun switching between both voice options.

But, for now, I'll go with Japanese, especially because Liam O' Brein will probably be back...

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

I'll play with japanese voices because a lot of my favourite voice actors/actresses are voicing my most liked characters from this game.

And I also liked the japanese voices in Awakening much better than the English ones.

But I will try to do one run with the english voices just to hear what it sounds like.

I'm almost surprised that the English dub has more votes, given the usual internet comments

It will all depend on the execution. I really, really dislike Awakening's english dub, it's like a overacted anime dub.

Pretty much every anime/video game tends to be overacted regardless of language, it's the nature of Japanese performing. It's like a telenovella