Japanese or English voice audio ?

ichikawa

which do you prefer, Japanese or English voice audio ?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. you will play [if] with Japanese or English voice audio

Pretty much every anime/video game tends to be overacted regardless of language, it's the nature of Japanese performing. It's like a telenovella

I did hear Japanese dubs that aren't overacted, like Yakuza's, for example.

And if you want an example for English dubs, Xenoblade is not overacted at all.

I can also guarantee not all Italian anime dubs are overacted.

So I think what you say is certainly not true, at least not for dubs different than the Japanese ones. It all depends on the director of the dub and the type of audience the game/anime has. I highly doubt the Japanese dub for Heidi of the Alps was overacted like Awakening's.

I guess I'm a hypocrite, but I did not mind the Japanese dub in Awakening, it's overacted, but at least it sounds okay to my ears: I can't think of a voice that grates my ears in that game... maybe Nowi and Nah?? Maybe.

The English dub has that typical quality of American anime/videogame dub that makes me cringe. SPESHUL DELLIVURRY!11 and DON'T MESS WITH A BUNNY!! are among the worst offenders, and Inigo is horrible for reasons I can't pinpoint. Everybody tries so hard to be quirky, funny or exaggerate the traits of the characters, but wtf, it just doesn't work to my ears. I do like Chrom's voice though, or Virion's. It's not ALL terrible but for the most part, I can't stand it. And why do the Morgans sound both so old??

Some people can't stand high pitched fake-as-fuck Japanese girl voices, I can't stand overacted, quirky American voices. It's among my pet peeves. I'll take a dub like Shenmue's over the dubs of the Persona games.

And before anyone puts words into my mouth, no, I don't dislike all English dubs, and I don't think all Japanese dubs are perfect and the only acceptable dubs. There is a character I love very much, and I prefer his English voice much more than his Japanese one, for example.

Another example is Xenoblade. I very much prefer to play with English voices, and it has dual audio options.

Not everyone who prefers a certain dub is an asshole or an elitist, and I'm not just talking about Japanese dub elitists. Some English dub supporters will go out of their way to criticize Japanese dubs because of a reason or another.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually like their Japanese voices.

One thing that annoyed me in FE:A was that you had to reset the language settings every time you load the game.

However, I did prefer Gregor's English voice.

"Yes, Gregor is very swellsword."

Edited by sylveonzoroark

I HAVE to use English audio nothing against the Japanese vas but to me the voices are too over the top in japanese and yes i'll probably be flamed by weebs for this but they all sound the same to me, plus i always turn the japanese off in games like that. I love the music but the voices are just so irritating to me so English all the way. Besides what's the point of having a language you probably wont have need for unless you actually visit the country ? Plus most of the locals speak english anyway with the odd exception of a few. plus to those that cant live with out the japanese language "weebs" why dont they just use the region free hack and fan translation ?

Edited by Hirokaski