Japanese or English voice audio ?

ichikawa

which do you prefer, Japanese or English voice audio ?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. you will play [if] with Japanese or English voice audio

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't do subtitles. Ever. Seriously, I hate it when things aren't dubbed. I want to actually be watching what's happening on screen, not constantly looking down to try to figure out what people are saying!!!

Freedom Wars was the biggest offender of this. It really hurt the game that you couldn't understand what your squadmates were saying because you didn't have time to read the text at the bottom of the screen, and suddenly a giant tiger rips your body in half because you missed the alert.

Also, second what Sentinel07 said. Female Japanese voice actresses are nearly universally awful. I still have nightmares about Orihime's voice from Bleach.

Edited by dragonlordsd

I'll probably start with English, given it's my mother tongue.

After my first playthrough I'll probably mess around with Japanese to see how units sound in their original language.

I felt like the japanese voices in awakening had more diversity especially with female robin but I enjoyed playing in both languages. I'll probably switch back and forth between the languages even more so now that I know most of the voice actors now. :V

Edited by chihiroos

I tend to only use the Japanese voice audio on a whim, if I've played through the game enough and just want to try something different. Nothing against the Japanese audio, I just prefer to listen to something I can actually understand.

Where's my "both" option?

I switched back and forth between Japanese and English for Awakening quite often. It was my first experience with dual audio, so I went a little wild with it. I eventually ended up doing two Japanese-audio only playthroughs, one per female and male, and I was pleasantly surprised by how "new" it made the game. If it is an option in If, I see myself doing this, too... and I really am hoping it's an option again.

I can see that most people will play english because can't understand japanese, prefer to hear the english mother language, and last cause the japanese girls high pitch voices xD~

I can understand most of japanese audio, love the japanese fuking hard languange, and of course i'm fan of Animes and Manga, so usually i'll use japanese audio if i could chose.

In my case, i dont like most of the american dubbing, i'll only prefere english over japanese, when english is the original audio option. Of course there are many excelent american voice acting (i love how Disney do their work), but most of them can´t convince me, specially the japanese adaptations ....

To sum: english original game i will choose english, japanese original game i'll chose japanese.

Probably just going to stick with English since I'm too lazy to switch back and forth, and the english dub for Awakening wasn't as horrible as it could've been.

I do enjoy the way the Japanese audio sounds, but not being able to understand it is definitely a major turn off for me.

Daisuke Ono is voicing Suzukaze in the JP version and I have a personal bias for a soft spot for him, so I'm going to be doing at least one run in Japanese so I can hear his voice. I don't mind having to read subtitles watching cutscenes or whatever so it's not going to be any skin off my nose. That said, I'll probably switch to English after my JP run because I can't say I'm a fan of Felicia's Japanese voice.

If the dub is as good as the one in awakening, in English, but if it's as bad as the one in the Tellius games, then Japanese, but I'll probably do Nohr in English and Hoshido in Japanese although I kinda hate the high pitched Japanese girls voices like Felicia's in the trailer ><

English, no contest. Between Japanese female voices often being too high-pitched for my sensitive ears to handle and my preference for hearing words I understand rather than just reading them on a screen, it's a no brainer.

• 2 months later...

Japanese if possible!

Because MAMO gave voice to Leon, Yoshi gave voice to Shigure, Tarusuke to Saisou and Suwabe-san to Joker... But mostly for hear MAMO everytime Leon say something, sounds good for me (plus I like Kisaragi's voice)

I'll be going English. I honestly have nothing against Japanese VAs in general, I'll just take an English dub 99.99% of the time, not only because I understand it more, but because I like how they touch up the script to pander more to my western tastes

Except for DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho, those are japanese performances that just find to be truly, truly awful.

I've spent dozens upon dozens of hours playing this game listening to everyone talk Japanese. The second I get the English version I'm going with English and never looking back. I can only take so much EETO and IKU YOOO and KAKEGOUWAIIDESUKA per year.

No one noticed the thread necro... lol.

I usually view things in their native language in possible but if the dub is good, I'll play it just for rarity of good English dubs. Dual audio should come standard for internationally released games.