While I intended on getting everything finished in the first few weeks of August, I would be lying if I didn't say that an extra month's time would be very useful.

However, I've already made peace with the fact that I will get most of the progress that /needs/ to be made made by the August date, and many of the things that I /want/ to do (polish and other stuff that takes a while but puts icing on the cake) will be delayed several weeks afterward until my next demo release (I'm going to try out a rapid-release sort of thing after the FEE3 release). So whether you decide to hold FEE3 in August as usual or if you want to move it to another month (temporarily or permanently), I'm neutral. I suggest having it take place no later than October, though, because as the year goes on the gaming scene in general becomes more active (Steam autumn sale, AAA game releases, and winter holidays), to say nothing of school taking its toll on a large chunk of the community during autumn.

edit: December wouldn't be that bad either since people usually have school off for the holidays. Still, that's a while away.

Edited by Alusq

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess we are looking at an extension. the question is how long? December is super far away. Does that mean fee3 becomes like a Christmas thing? I feel like that would tear right into exam time and peopel come december will be like i need more time yadayada

November would make the most sense IMO, since it gives plenty of time to devs to make their hack, but doesn't cut into exams for those who presently school for a living

As someone else pointed out having it that late would make it conflict with the many AAA releases and sales around that time. Furthermore it would mean that next FEE3 is going to be in just half a year unless you keep turning it into a november/christmas thing or skip a year. That is also an issue for previously mentioned reasons.

Edit: It's also inconvenient for the viewer because of timing.

Edited by the cool guy

Why not September then. a month into school for most folks shouldn't have them super hard pressed because of exams and whatnot.

If we're talking about extending then I think September or October are the most ideal

After thinking on it, pushing FEE3 to December just makes me think that we should have /another/ FE "convention" that is either late or early in the year to go along with FEE3 being in July~September. It wouldn't be nearly as big as FEE3 in terms of size, ambition, etc, but it would still give us two solid times per year when there are showcases and people are encouraged to release projects that might otherwise get mired in development. You can rebut this idea with the mention of people being stuck in school, but there would be at least December as a time between FEE3 and the other thing (FE Gamescom? FE CES? The name would be the hardest thing) as a time for creators to work on projects, not to mention spring breaks and whatever other holidays various schools give their students. While I realise the naïvety of creating yet another mass deadline for people to meet, it's something I thought might be nice to think about.

While I'm still spouting ideas, I want to also propose a monthly project showcase instead of or in addition to the "second FE event". One of my fondest memories of watching the FE community in the recent years is the release of Midnight Sun's first demo: everyone was playing and talking about it to the point that it felt like an actual new Fire Emblem game had been released. It would take some challenging planning to do this, but I think that if each month a different Fire Emblem fan project was featured ("this month's game is ____! here's a new demo go play it!" as well as promotion in the monthly modder's digest) it could bolster discussion of projects as honest video games as well as encouraging people to make progress so they can have their project featured. I'm starting to get a bit pegasus-pie-in-the-FE-sky, so I'll stop here, but this would give many projects their own time of the year to shine as opposed to FEE3 when so much is released in a big batch. Again, planning to ensure that there would be a release each month will be tricky, but I believe it's doable.

I would be willing to manage a monthly showcase of various hacks, since I don't have enough imagination to make my own. I would enjoy helping others let their hack be showcased, if we go with this monthly idea here.

Can I toss in a vote to wait until summer of next year for FEE3? 90% of FEE3 stuff is almost always returning projects, and there's really only one big new project, which is the Requiem hack. Obviously there's also ragefest stuff but that's its own 'event' so I don't count it. Doing it once every two years allows more time for new projects to be built up.

Just my two cents.

Can I toss in a vote to wait until summer of next year for FEE3? 90% of FEE3 stuff is almost always returning projects, and there's really only one big new project, which is the Requiem hack. Obviously there's also ragefest stuff but that's its own 'event' so I don't count it. Doing it once every two years allows more time for new projects to be built up.

Just my two cents.

Personally I think that would be the worst thing to do. Decreasing activity on the forum and pushing thhaat far back is just bad news.

Requiem

KelssFE

Queen's Lament

Sun Gods Wrath

Scions of Kings

Fate of Fire

I was even speaking to some folks regarding the Fates topic

and there's a few literal new hacks that could be featured that are low key and not even public yet. As well as tech demos and whatnot.

also... 90% of FEE3 is returning projects? Looks like a solid 50% on my end right now and possibly more hacks to be entered since a few are going to be sleepers for the event. I don't really see the relevance in mentioning that number anyway

September seems the best way to go
Edited by Ghatsu!

While I'm still spouting ideas, I want to also propose a monthly project showcase instead of or in addition to the "second FE event". One of my fondest memories of watching the FE community in the recent years is the release of Midnight Sun's first demo: everyone was playing and talking about it to the point that it felt like an actual new Fire Emblem game had been released. It would take some challenging planning to do this, but I think that if each month a different Fire Emblem fan project was featured ("this month's game is ____! here's a new demo go play it!" as well as promotion in the monthly modder's digest) it could bolster discussion of projects as honest video games as well as encouraging people to make progress so they can have their project featured. I'm starting to get a bit pegasus-pie-in-the-FE-sky, so I'll stop here, but this would give many projects their own time of the year to shine as opposed to FEE3 when so much is released in a big batch. Again, planning to ensure that there would be a release each month will be tricky, but I believe it's doable.

I would be willing to manage a monthly showcase of various hacks, since I don't have enough imagination to make my own. I would enjoy helping others let their hack be showcased, if we go with this monthly idea here.

Doesn't Ghast basically do this with his monthly hacker's digest?

The main difference between a monthly showcase and the monthly digest is that the digest covers all of the stuff that happens in a month rather than accompany the release of a project demo and encourage people to play it. Still, it could be worked into the digest if Ghast allows it.

Well, the original submission date is 9 days away... It doesn't seem like many people are going to be ready by then.

So here's my proposal: I say that we take all of this month/most of September, all submissions are due on September 20th, and have the show run October 2nd - 4th.

Well, the original submission date is 9 days away... It doesn't seem like many people are going to be ready by then.

So here's my proposal: I say that we take all of this month/most of September, all submissions are due on September 20th, and have the show run October 2nd - 4th.

This would be a good proposition, it allows many of the students here time to settle into the Fall Semester without having to worry about FEE3 adding to the stress. The following week would be a good time for the presenters to edit and post it on the relevant channel(s).

The question is how many people feel that they can meet the propoosed deadline definitively and in the scenario that there needs to be another extension for submission there needs to be adequate time for everyone to put it together for presentation.

Arch's proposal sounds good, but there should be limit that the presentation should be at the latest 2-3 weeks before Thanksgiving to give everyone involved time to comply with any familial obligations coming.

I'd say make the presentation set for Arch's proposed deadlines and have leeway for it to be finalized until mid to late October.

Thoughts?

no, sorry. But I'm not down for another extension/leeway option of any kind. I'll be organizing my school schedule around these due dates as I'm the one hosting the event and making the main videos for it.

Its also my birthday around mid october and I don't intend to be thinking about FEE3 around then and I guarantee that midterms are gonna be floating around then as well

people are just gonna have to get an fee3 goal and meet it by september 20th, if they can't meet the extended deadline, then that's too bad.

Edited by Ghatsu!

no, sorry. But I'm not down for another extension/leeway option of any kind. I'll be organizing my school schedule around these due dates as I'm the one hosting the event and making the main videos for it.

Its also my birthday around mid october and I don't intend to be thinking about FEE3 around then and I guarantee that midterms are gonna be floating around then as well

people are just gonna have to get an fee3 goal and meet it by september 20th, if they can't meet the extended deadline, then that's too bad.

Cool, will you update the OP to reflect the finalized due date?

Still haven't been contacted by any of the guys who wanted me to LP shit for them.

All I'm saying is, you better get your ass into motion if you want me to review your shit before FEE3 comes around :)

Still haven't been contacted by any of the guys who wanted me to LP shit for them.

All I'm saying is, you better get your ass into motion if you want me to review your shit before FEE3 comes around :)

Can you imagine if we never rescheduled fee3

holy shit what a train wreck that would be lmfao

• 2 weeks later...

not so well - have barely had time to sit down let alone hack :(

Haul ass, bro.

Pretty good, since I got a beta demo out for NCFC, so I'll have a more complete and fixed up version for FEE3 ~'3'~

Way to haul ass, bro.