How did you get into Video Games?

PuffPuff

I have by a Christmas Present in 1985 (Was 5 yrs old at the time!) for the Nintendo Entertainment System which Mario and Duck Hunt was my first game to ever play. It was no fluke on why that the units sold more than 20 million copies worldwide. :3

Instead of being placed in Brooklyn, New York, Miyamoto would create his own universe and title it the Mushroom Kingdom. The single player experience had the player chose between Mario or his brother Luigi, though their abilities were virtually identical. In the game, the antagonistic Bowser would kidnap Princess Peach due to her ability to revert his magical attacks. Mario and Luigi heard of the news and immediately departed to save her. They traveled through over thirty stages and eventually defeated the beast, thus saving the princess. The game had expansive, scrollable levels, various enemies, different environments and an amazing physics engine. The game far surpassed anything ever released by then, and helped propel sales of the Famicom in Japan when it was released on September 13. The game, however, would make an even bigger impact across the sea.
Even though retailers weren't impressed with R.O.B., the NES was a very fantastic piece of hardware. Nintendo got very few people to order NES's, so they decided to have a limited launch in New York City and guaranteed a risk-free deal where retailers could send back unsold consoles for the price they purchased them. Nintendo had by now chosen to include one more addition in the game: Super Mario Bros., the genius invention that a month earlier had prove to be a big success in Japan. Due to this game, the NES upon release on October 18 sold 9/10th of the initial shipment of 100,000 units. Nintendo was able to then have a sigh of relief, though would have to prepare for the following year when Nintendo would release it not only in the rest of the United States and Canada, but also Europe. There were an assortment of games released this year. On the NES, Nintendo published games included the likes of the VS. System games released in arcades, only this time for the home console. The R.O.B. enabled games Stack-Up and Gyromite were also released, though weren't particularly popular. Nintendo also published 10-Yard Fight in America, and on the arcade front made Arm Wrestling and Super Punch-Out!!, two successors to Punch-Out!.

Biggest success to Nintendo's as well as all video games history which R.O.B did not appeal to America at first. But...it's due to the Super Mario Bros+Duck Hunt game is what brought appeal to America which caused everything to nearly selling out!

In 1988, Atari took action against Nintendo. Earlier in the year, Tengen (a subsidiary of Atari) had bypassed Nintendo's lockout chip, which would allow Atari to create video games for the Nintendo Entertainment System without giving Nintendo any profit. Minoru Arakawa, Nintendo of America's president, one night invited Hideyuki Nakajima of Atari to dinner party to try and make an atonement, not knowing fully of Nakajima's actions against Nintendo. During the dinner, Arakawa had fallen asleep at the table (something he had a problem with), which set Nakjima into a rage, furthering his hatred for Nintendo. By December, Atari filed a lawsuit against Nintendo claiming that they were running a monopoly with price fixing, their lockout chip, and various policies and demanded $100 million dollars from Nintendo. Arakawa called another meeting with Nakajima who offered the compromise of still making Nintendo Entertainment System games with the bypassing chip they had created at Tengen. Arakawa didn't accept and was furious at Nakajima for suggesting it, going out of the meeting. Howard Lincoln of Nintendo said of the event that Arakawa was a "tiger who will skin you (Atari) piece by piece." Years would go on before the Federal Trade Commission cleared both of their charges. The Nintendo and Atari fiasco wasn't the only lawsuit that occurred in 1988. Nintendo sued Camerica also this year claiming that their Freedom Stick is too similar to their patented NES Advantage. Nintendo won, resulting in Camerica having to discontinue their product.

Jealous people.

It's because of their success is how we got into games as well as Dragonball's success to being how we got into Jap Animes. The Super Nintendo Entertainments system sold over 500 million copies alone in the year 1990 when it was first introduced.

In April 1992, HAL Laboratory and Nintendo teamed up to create a ground breaking video game. HAL and Nintendo were very familiar with each other by now; during the NES era they had created Pinball and HAL themselves published a whole bunch of internally developed video games for the system. Their company was created during the very early eighties and quickly rose to become a prominent developer, though things were about to escalate with the release of Kirby's Dream Land on the Game Boy. Created by Masahiro Sakurai, Kirby's Dream Land was intended to be a beginner's game. The game did fantastic, though HAL Laboratory was soon faced with a growing problem. The previous year HAL had moved to a new headquarters and because of this was riddled with debt - over $45 million in debt. HAL Laboratory would soon have to shut its doors if there wasn't a company willing to assist, and in June 1992 they approached Hiroshi Yamauchi who afterwords decided to fund HAL Laboratory and assist them in creating games. All future games by HAL would then be published by Nintendo.

His first apperance. :3

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Nintendo

Read here to find out their entire success which was interesting which started simple from toys at first.

Edited by Lt_Matilda_Ajan

Lego PC games and Pokemon Ruby. Lego and Pokemon were like my favourite things when I was young, they baited me into gaming, and I've been trapped ever since to all three of those things.

I guess it was in September 1998... As a birthday gift I got a SNES with Donkey Kong Country and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

So I was 6 years old.

It was my dad that introduced me to gaming. He liked "retro" games, so my first experiences were with Sonic and Knuckles and Super Mario 64. I don't quite remember, but I think I was 3 or 4 at the time.

My dad had a NES with Duck Hunt, but I really did not get in to gaming until I got my GBA and a game called Phalanx then I was hooked for life.

Back when I was 3, My Mom had a Genesis and NES, and eventually I played Sonic 2 and Mario 3. Eventually also playing various RPG's with my Dad and other such things with my Mom or Dad.

It was a huge variety.

When I was 7, I begged and pleaded for a Gameboy Advance so I could play Pokemon. Eventually got Pokemon Crystal and a pink GBA for birthday/Christmas. Played the heck out of that machine too... but lost it a few years ago during a move. Now I'm feeling nostalgic for Pokemon Crystal...

My first console, on the other hand, was a Playstation 2 so I could play Guitar Hero, also a Christmas gift. Now it's more a Final Fantasy machine.

My oldest sister, which is the one I talk to by far the most, is pretty into gaming, and so is the next oldest. They had an N64, PS2, and a GC. Plus my Grandma had a SNES, N64 and a Sega Genesis. My dad bought me a SNES and I had a Gameboy Advance SP so I was always playing something.

First game I ever beat on my own without guides or help from another was Kingdom Hearts 2, at five years old according to my sisters.

I played Sonic 2 at a vacation house when I was like four. I had a gigantic fox obsession as a kid, so I was player 2 controlling Tails while my big brother controlled Sonic. I thought that game was the coolest thing ever, and I've been an obsessed gamer ever since.

Looking at Sonic 2, it's no surprise it's what got me hooked. It has bright, colorful graphics; creative environments; catchy music; etc. There's just something about Japanese developed games that I really love, and it goes back to my roots. It's interesting to think about.

When I was about 2.My mother bought a Gamecube with Super Mario Sunshine for us,and my brother had a Gameboy Advance with Pokemon Leaf Green and Emerald.[/quote

An then a DS during Christmas 2005 sealed the deal.

• 1 month later...
I started by watching Pokemon on tv when I heard about the games. My first game was Pokemon:Fire Red and it was given to me by a woman working at my school. She got it from her son because he didn't play it anymore I told her about Pokemon one day and she gave me cartridge the next day because the word Pokemon seemed familiar to her. I got my gameboy that same day simply to play Fire Red. Now I play all sort of games. Edited by Yari

• 2 weeks later...

I played Super Mario Deluxe on my sister's gameboy here and there, but I didn't really think much of video games during that time. In fact, I was one of those people who used to say, "What's so fun about sitting in front of a TV and pressing buttons on a controller?"

But, after exposing myself to more video games and watching my sisters play Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, my views on video games started to change. It was one day at my cousin's house that I really became interested when I played Mario Party 7 for the first time. After that, I couldn't wait to go to my cousin's house to play Mario Party 7, Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Yoshi continues to be my all time favourite video game character because I used him all the time when I first got into gaming.

Edited by carefreejules