Odin's tomes naming suggestions!

Odin, the not!Owain Dark Mage gets +10 crit from his inherent skill when wielding a weapon that has 8 kanji for its name. While we could just be scrubs and randomly pick 8 kanji to get the buff, my seething blood moves me to make it cool instead.

...Except I can't really think of any good ones at the moment. Any ideas?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll just through out names and see what sticks:

"Dark Spiral of Eternal Despair"

"Black Destiny the Speller of Doom"

"Shadow Dragons Awakening to the Radiant Dawn"

"Stupid Bad Guys Should Just Die!!"

"I've Finally Made A Critical Hit!!"

"Special Move: Blazing Sword of the Mage"

"Odin's Beard"

"The Poet Without Words"

"Blood Boiling of Lost Control!"

"The Beast That Make the Hand Hunger"

"Lancelot Dances a Lot"

"Grima's Dastardly Fist"

"Insert Cool Name Here"

Do any of these work? I don't understand Kanji or Japanese in general.

Do any of these work? I don't understand Kanji or Japanese in general.

Just by looking at them they wont' likely guarantee 8 characters in kanji, and while Japanese isn't my language I guarantee you Chinese is a very concise language and saying shit like "fucking your eighteenth generation ancestors" only accounts for 7 characters

In fact I am having trouble thinking of phrases that are 8 characters because all the Chinese poetry I know are either 5 or 7 and I myself am incredibly unpoetic so I'll have to do some research and I'm not sure if all of the shit I know in Chinese can even apply to Japanese since Kanji and Chinese have a significant intersection but Kanji only contains a portion of Chinese while having a bit of their own thing going on

Edited by Thor Odinson

Just by looking at them they wont' likely guarantee 8 characters in kanji, and while Japanese isn't my language I guarantee you Chinese is a very concise language and saying shit like "fucking your eighteenth generation ancestors" only accounts for 7 characters

In fact I am having trouble thinking of phrases that are 8 characters because all the Chinese poetry I know are either 5 or 7 and I myself am incredibly unpoetic so I'll have to do some research and I'm not sure if all of the shit I know in Chinese can even apply to Japanese since Kanji and Chinese have a significant intersection but Kanji only contains a portion of Chinese while having a bit of their own thing going on

I see, I just wanted to help. However I'm determined, I'll find something that can hit 8 characters no matter how many names I have to through out.

I see, I just wanted to help. However I'm determined, I'll find something that can hit 8 characters no matter how many names I have to through out.

Just make your phrases longer and you might hit something that translate to 8 characters.

Uh, eight words right ? Well, Super Super Super Super Super Super Great Sword. It must be possible to do something like that, in the japanese version obviously.

Yes, yes it's lame, so what ? It's simple. :p

I'm no expert on Kanji or whatever, but wouldn't just plugging in 8 random Kanji work?

Where's the fun in that? Is your blood not boiling? Hungering for special attacks?

Uh, eight words right ? Well, Super Super Super Super Super Super Great Sword. It must be possible to do something like that, in the japanese version obviously.

Yes, yes it's lame, so what ? It's simple. :p

So... that'd be like 超超超超超超大剣... not much imagination here lol.

if you know enough Chinese you can look through some 四言诗 for inspiration, since the lines are always in chunks of 2 4-character sections

But I don't even feel my own Chinese skills good enough to translate some of those; I mean I'm good but this is super archaic AND poetry

http://puu.sh/imSqt/78dc4a6c40.png but just for reference putting that through google translate in Japanese instead of Chinese gives you the Japanese Romaji necessary to input them; Not all lines will work like that, but that one did.

http://www.wenyanhanyu.com/siyanshi/13757.html(for credit, this one is written my Wu Zetian in 696)

Edited by Thor Odinson

Okay, I'll try again!

"The Ninth Gate of Hell: The Dark Fury of the Departed Warrior Souls"

"There IS No Way My Dark Power Can Be This Uncontrollable!"

"Grima's Bane: The Dark Dragons Last Curse to the World of Light"

"The Way I See It, It's You Guys' Fault My Hand Hungers For Blood"

"Not Until The Last Spear Falls, Is A Hero Permitted to Die!"

"The Great Thunderspanking Sword That Crushes the Weak"

"Raining Spirit That Is the Sweat That Falls On Master Odin's Beard"

"Lost and Forbidden Tome Which Contains The Odin's Evil Eye"

"The Young Boy Is Blinded By Fear But Finds The Courage To Stand Without Eyes"

"I Am Neither Man Nor Beast I Am Odin Slayer of All!"

"The Hurricane that Unknowingly Destroys Without Knowledge"

"Tainted Holy Water That Which Represents All That Is Cruel and Evil in the World, Life's a Bane"

"Please Let This Name Critical Hit Eight Characters I'm Starting To Run Out Of Ideas For These Names For Odin's Hilariously Unique Skill!"

Okay, I took my time with this one.

Hyper Spacial Forest Burning Incandescent Super Radioactive Thunderbolt!

Super Antarctic Frostbite Inducing Hidden Angry Wolf Spell!

Grocery Store Five Finger Discount Sleight of Hand Hidden Weapon!

Super Magical Weapon-Triangle-Defying Ultimate Muspell Spell!

Extreme Speed One Thousand Ton Punching Knuckle Arcwind Gale!

The Velvet Kiss of Death that Metes out Justice without Discrimination or Ephemeral Emotion.

Though I have no idea if that would even sound cool written in Kanji, let alone be 8 characters.

Hyper Spacial Forest Burning Incandescent Super Radioactive Thunderbolt!

Super Antarctic Frostbite Inducing Hidden Angry Wolf Spell!

Grocery Store Five Finger Discount Sleight of Hand Hidden Weapon!

Super Magical Weapon-Triangle-Defying Ultimate Muspell Spell!

Extreme Speed One Thousand Ton Punching Knuckle Arcwind Gale!

After reading yours, I think mine sound like names of stories...

Okay, I'll try again!

"The Ninth Gate of Hell: The Dark Fury of the Departed Warrior Souls"

"There IS No Way My Dark Power Can Be This Uncontrollable!"

"Grima's Bane: The Dark Dragons Last Curse to the World of Light"

"The Way I See It, It's You Guys' Fault My Hand Hungers For Blood"

"Not Until The Last Spear Falls, Is A Hero Permitted to Die!"

"The Great Thunderspanking Sword That Crushes the Weak"

"Raining Spirit That Is the Sweat That Falls On Master Odin's Beard"

"Lost and Forbidden Tome Which Contains The Odin's Evil Eye"

"The Young Boy Is Blinded By Fear But Finds The Courage To Stand Without Eyes"

"I Am Neither Man Nor Beast I Am Odin Slayer of All!"

"The Hurricane that Unknowingly Destroys Without Knowledge"

"Tainted Holy Water That Which Represents All That Is Cruel and Evil in the World, Life's a Bane"

"Please Let This Name Critical Hit Eight Characters I'm Starting To Run Out Of Ideas For These Names For Odin's Hilariously Unique Skill!"

Okay, I took my time with this one.

You have made my night. These names made me smile. Got more? XD

Man... Western names just are not gonna compare to these names here. Really makes you wonder how the skill will function localized... It would be great if we could somehow get more than the typical character limit for Odin's tomes specifically. :p

"Dear Odin, you need to read more books so I made you this one. Love, Mum"

and

"Odin's tome of potential names to unleash the blood-boiling power within."

Man... Western names just are not gonna compare to these names here. Really makes you wonder how the skill will function localized... It would be great if we could somehow get more than the typical character limit for Odin's tomes specifically. :p

A longer character limit would be amazing haha, but I imagine they'll change it to names with all caps or something similar.

Edited by BluCommander

I have no idea how those translate into Kanji, but it was fun writing those.

You have made my night. These names made me smile. Got more? XD

"You Know What This IS Pretty Fun, Even They Aren't Eight Characters I'll Try More!"

"Take A Spell, Mix In Some Awesome Odin Skills, Put It In the Oven and BAM Hot Death!"

"Dark Mage Rule Number 1: You Must Always Include The Word "Dood" With Every Line You Say!"

"Forging Spell Book With Minerals Found In Another Players Fire Emblem"

"Neo 20000 Critical Combo Wonder Hits From The Dark Depths Of the Outrealms"

"This The Power Of THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM ODIN: Chaos UN-Control!"

"This Is My Spell Book! There Are Many Like It, But This One IS MINE! So I Gave It A Cool Name!"

If the limit is 8 characters like in Awakening that means there's no room for any kana, and in turn basically no room for actual grammar. If that's the case I'm probably just going to string 4 words together that seem to fit thematically and call it a day. For example "古来魔族禁断暗闇" ("ancient demon forbidden darkness").