Odin's tomes naming suggestions!

If the limit is 8 characters like in Awakening that means there's no room for any kana, and in turn basically no room for actual grammar. If that's the case I'm probably just going to string 4 words together that seem to fit thematically and call it a day. For example "古来魔族禁断暗闇" ("ancient demon forbidden darkness").

tbh if you go poetic 8 characters can express a lot just

it's also really hard to

Oh, So eight characters is the limit? I just assumed Odin's skill implied that there was more.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er. . .what kanji are available? I might be able to cobble something stupid (read: awful) out of it, if I knew what I could work with!

Oh, So eight characters is the limit? I just assumed Odin's skill implied that there was more.

Honestly not sure, never played Awakening in Japanese for a comparison, but I'd imagine it can't get too much more if at all or there'd be no room on the screen

8 characters is enough for something super poetic but it requires the command of the Chinese or Japanese language (and aware of which Chinese characters don't work with Kanji) and real writing skills, which I unfortunately don't have

8 characters is the limit for Awakening's forging. Don't know if it will be the same here.

Er. . .what kanji are available? I might be able to cobble something stupid (read: awful) out of it, if I knew what I could work with!

Just from a quick glance at the あ, い, and わ lists on the 3DS lookup, the first 8 pages of http://www.mhlw.go.jp/sinsei/chotatu/chotatu/shiyousho-an/dl/090715-1i.pdf seem to correspond to the available Kanji in Awakening. (For all I know that's a standard list of Jouyou Kanji; one of these I'm actually going to learn more Kanji I swear...) E: Okay, just under 3000 total, so more than the Jouyou anyway.

Edited by egobarrier

Alright, thanks. However, stuff like あ probably won't count, as it's hiragana.

Kanji:

日月火水木金土年 - "Every day of the year". No, it's not a literal translation, it's an awful joke.

幻想系世界修復女 - bastardized title of some song I took out of IIDX, and I'm not sorry for mutilating it.

発売直前生放送本 - makes even less sense than the other two put together, but Odin is GOING to acknowledge the pre-release broadcast of Cipher via a tome!

Other sources of equally long names would be semi-technical manuals (but not too technical, or the kanji may fall outside of if's dictionary), Touhou remix titles, and certain place names (but this requires context). Remember, the name itself doesn't have to mean anything!

Just call it what you will say to your enemies about their efforts to defeat you:

MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA!

六蛇六蛇六蛇六蛇

That's. . .valid, I think. Weird, but valid.

Alright, thanks. However, stuff like あ probably won't count, as it's hiragana.

lol. I just bemoaned no room for kana a few posts ago, I know what it is.

I guess I can explain how Awakening's 3DS input worked for anyone curious. After selecting Kanji mode you are given a list of hiragana characters. Clicking one brings up a list of kanji whose (most common?) reading starts with that character. The "あ" page contains 亜 through 杏 in the pdf I posted earlier, "" has 以 through 吋, and so on all the way through "わ" with 倭 through 腕.

I guess I can explain how Awakening's 3DS input worked for anyone curious. After selecting Kanji mode you are given a list of hiragana characters. Clicking one brings up a list of kanji whose (most common?) reading starts with that character. The "あ" page contains 亜 through 杏 in the pdf I posted earlier, "い" has 以 through 吋, and so on all the way through "わ" with 倭 through 腕.

Hah, interesting. I'd assume most of the hiragana WOULD be on that page, because there's so many kanji! However, it would be kind of silly if I suggested something that the game itself didn't have!

Still, thanks for the info. It'll take a miracle for me to get a Japanese DS, and I don't really feel like playing a game where I have to use a dictionary to figure out what the characters are saying.

I guess I'll suggest more.

"Severed Wrist of the Demon King's Demonic Demon Arm"

"Chronicle of El Diablo: Flaming Skull Grenades of Fury"

"Forum of Serenes: The Forest Network on the Second Page"

"Big Bang Kamehameha Second Geared Distruction Shadow Clone Bankai"

"Exploding Arrows Hunting The Souls of Demons to Kill Them Twice"

"Lightning Chariot Vahalla Neon Night Strike Bringing of Odin's Wisdom Eye"

"Rose By Any Other Name Still Carries the Thorns of Harsh Justice and Truth"

"Song of IF: 14th Coming Darkness Moonlight Snow Deadlove of Id Purpose"

"Holy Spectrum Dark Mage Lost Soul Seeking Redemption"

"Crushing Block Odin Series: Massive Blood Lust From the Hungering Hand; Piercing Eagle Feather"

I'll probably be back with more.

I don't understand Kanji BUT tithes are my long and Quasi humourous tome names

"The scalding hatred that boils in my blood is like that of a million George Forman Grills."

"The punch which has an impact great enough to bend the very fabric of reality."

"The Tome from beyond the stars that of great Cthulhu, bound in human flesh and written in the blood of the innocent."

I guess I can explain how Awakening's 3DS input worked for anyone curious. After selecting Kanji mode you are given a list of hiragana characters. Clicking one brings up a list of kanji whose (most common?) reading starts with that character. The "あ" page contains 亜 through 杏 in the pdf I posted earlier, "" has 以 through 吋, and so on all the way through "わ" with 倭 through 腕.

Iirc, the kanji given are actually arranged in a sort of "alphabetical order" based on their hiragana forms. For example, when you pick き (ki), it goes through "ki", "kia", "kii" etc. (if applicable of course), then goes to the alternate forms like ぎ (gi).

Also I'm trying to translate some of these suggestions, but this is taking forever lol.

"This hand of mine is burning red. Its power is telling me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"

Or something like that.

"The punch which has an impact great enough to bend the very fabric of reality."

Took a bit of liberties because there's a few words I can't get an exact translation for but has something close but this one I could actually do an exact 8 character fit (Chinese, though)

爆力時空動搖之拳

Iirc, the kanji given are actually arranged in a sort of "alphabetical order" based on their hiragana forms. For example, when you pick き (ki), it goes through "ki", "kia", "kii" etc. (if applicable of course), then goes to the alternate forms like ぎ (gi).

Makes sense. I just want to know what makes them decide on a particular reading as the designated one. Like, why do they use げつ over がつ for 月? Is it that the former is just more common, or is it some holdover from the origin of the readings? Well, I suppose I'm getting off-topic.

Other dumb ideas:

五四三二一我勝利--"54321 My Victory!"

長々馬鹿不要書名--"Long Dumb Unnecessary Title"

上上下下左右左右--"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right..."

I've tried to translate and slap together kanji for some of these, but there are some that I don't know how to do. I'm not sure if these even make sense, but then again, Owain never made sense.

if you know enough Chinese you can look through some 四言诗 for inspiration, since the lines are always in chunks of 2 4-character sections

But I don't even feel my own Chinese skills good enough to translate some of those; I mean I'm good but this is super archaic AND poetry

http://puu.sh/imSqt/78dc4a6c40.png but just for reference putting that through google translate in Japanese instead of Chinese gives you the Japanese Romaji necessary to input them; Not all lines will work like that, but that one did.

http://www.wenyanhanyu.com/siyanshi/13757.html(for credit, this one is written my Wu Zetian in 696)

Well, I AM Chinese...

I guess I'll look into these, but since not all Chinese characters are present in Japanese kanji, it might not work out sometimes.

Okay, I'll try again!

"The Ninth Gate of Hell: The Dark Fury of the Departed Warrior Souls"

"There IS No Way My Dark Power Can Be This Uncontrollable!"

"Grima's Bane: The Dark Dragons Last Curse to the World of Light"

"The Way I See It, It's You Guys' Fault My Hand Hungers For Blood"

"Not Until The Last Spear Falls, Is A Hero Permitted to Die!"

"The Great Thunderspanking Sword That Crushes the Weak"

"Raining Spirit That Is the Sweat That Falls On Master Odin's Beard"

"Lost and Forbidden Tome Which Contains The Odin's Evil Eye"

"The Young Boy Is Blinded By Fear But Finds The Courage To Stand Without Eyes"

"I Am Neither Man Nor Beast I Am Odin Slayer of All!"

"The Hurricane that Unknowingly Destroys Without Knowledge"

"Tainted Holy Water That Which Represents All That Is Cruel and Evil in the World, Life's a Bane"

"Please Let This Name Critical Hit Eight Characters I'm Starting To Run Out Of Ideas For These Names For Odin's Hilariously Unique Skill!"

Okay, I took my time with this one.

The liberties are real with these; I made a lot of changes because a) I can't think of a way to convey your exact meaning and b) I'm too lazy to dig deeper looooool

1. 無間亡霊暗黒総宴

2. Eh, sentences like these are nearly impossible to convey using only kanji, unless I'm writing Chinese instead.

3. 邪竜終末葬送行曲

4. See 2

5. SEE 2 M8

6. 弱肉強食雷鳴大剣

7. This is an interesting case. Odin's name is written in katakana, so that's a no-go, but when the game comes out and he has a self-proclaimed title, this might work later on.

8. 邪気眼秘伝魔道書

9. 無我境地勇者再起

10. I can't really think of a way to do this one....

11. 無実無邪破壊乱風

12. 大罪源泉腐聖水矢

Hyper Spacial Forest Burning Incandescent Super Radioactive Thunderbolt!

Super Antarctic Frostbite Inducing Hidden Angry Wolf Spell!

Grocery Store Five Finger Discount Sleight of Hand Hidden Weapon!

Super Magical Weapon-Triangle-Defying Ultimate Muspell Spell!

Extreme Speed One Thousand Ton Punching Knuckle Arcwind Gale!

Lol, I can't fit every single description into some of these.

1. 超時空灼熱大雷光

2. 極限凍結裏怒狼術

3. Uh...this is kinda hard to completely turn into kanji....

4. 不思議相性無用呪 (This one is kinda weird.... I don't think I got it right.)

5. 電光石火千屯旋風

Can't I just call it Missletain? Y'know, Mysstltain or whatever spelled wrong?

No, because Missiletainn was written in katakana. i.e. not Chinese characters.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Well, I AM Chinese...

I guess I'll look into these, but since not all Chinese characters are present in Japanese kanji, it might not work out sometimes.

Good. So am I. Saves me the translation bit. Translating archaic poetry is sure to give me a headache except maybe 床前明月光

's why I suggested to go over them using google translate by putting the Chinese sentences straight into Japanese->[output language does not matter]; If google translate gives you a complete Romaji transliteration, they should be able to be converted into Kanji. Else, google translate will leave the character in Chinese. That's how you can tell.

The example I gave earlier was something that can be converted entirely. Something else I tried earlier, not as fortunate.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Cacapipi/Pipicaca.

Err, it's two french words for... something, let's just say: it's very childish. But hey, best weapon name ever ! In French ! Not in Japanese ! We need to expand our horizons !

... I'm ashamed, but not really, it's a legit name, and it fits Owain's personality !

My reputation is probably ruined with that. :p

Edited by B.Leu

I've tried to translate and slap together kanji for some of these, but there are some that I don't know how to do. I'm not sure if these even make sense, but then again, Owain never made sense.

Well, I AM Chinese...

The liberties are real with these; I made a lot of changes because a) I can't think of a way to convey your exact meaning and b) I'm too lazy to dig deeper looooool

1. 無間亡霊暗黒総宴

2. Eh, sentences like these are nearly impossible to convey using only kanji, unless I'm writing Chinese instead.

3. 邪竜終末葬送行曲

4. See 2

5. SEE 2 M8

6. 弱肉強食雷鳴大剣

7. This is an interesting case. Odin's name is written in katakana, so that's a no-go, but when the game comes out and he has a self-proclaimed title, this might work later on.

8. 邪気眼秘伝魔道書

9. 無我境地勇者再起

10. I can't really think of a way to do this one....

11. 無実無邪破壊乱風

12. 大罪源泉腐聖水矢

Lol, I can't fit every single description into some of these.

1. 超時空灼熱大雷光

2. 極限凍結裏怒狼術

3. Uh...this is kinda hard to completely turn into kanji....

4. 不思議相性無用呪 (This one is kinda weird.... I don't think I got it right.)

5. 電光石火千屯旋風

No, because Missiletainn was written in katakana. i.e. not Chinese characters.

Okay, so I ran the translations through Google Translate because I thought it'd be funny and here is what I got. Also sorry for the ridiculous names (though I'm kind of bummed out since I was proud of some of them).

First Mine:

1. Mugen ghost dark total feast

3. Yokoshimaryu end Funeral line song

6. Big Thunder Sword jungle (My Favorite)

8. Evil eye secret Mage Manual

9. Fallen Heroes situation without me

11. No Mika innocent Huai chaos breaking wind

12. Sin rot holy water source vector

Now cygnus:

1. Chrono burning large Leiguang

2. Limit freeze Linulangshu

4. Fushigi phase of useless RECOMMENDED ( I love this one)

5. Lightning Sentamuro whirlwind

八文字名全部漢字

sorry

一撃必殺破壊秘技

OHKO CRITICAL SECRET TECHNIQUE OF DESTRUCTION

書手痙攣抑制無理

Tome Hand Convulsing, Suppression is Futile

Edited by Bovinian