Odin's tomes naming suggestions!

六蛇六蛇六蛇六蛇

That's. . .valid, I think. Weird, but valid.

Actually, it's 無駄, so it's 無駄無駄無駄無駄. That works lol.

"This hand of mine is burning red. Its power is telling me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"

Or something like that.

SEKIHA TENKYOKEN!!...is only five kanji. :(

Good. So am I. Saves me the translation bit. Translating archaic poetry is sure to give me a headache except maybe 床前明月光

's why I suggested to go over them using google translate by putting the Chinese sentences straight into Japanese->[output language does not matter]; If google translate gives you a complete Romaji transliteration, they should be able to be converted into Kanji. Else, google translate will leave the character in Chinese. That's how you can tell.

The example I gave earlier was something that can be converted entirely. Something else I tried earlier, not as fortunate.

Oh, that's nice. Where are you from?

Cacapipi/Pipicaca.

Err, it's two french words for... something, let's just say: it's very childish. But hey, best weapon name ever ! In French ! Not in Japanese ! We need to expand our horizons !

... I'm ashamed, but not really, it's a legit name, and it fits Owain's personality !

My reputation is probably ruined with that. :p

...Is that really French? >_>

八文字名全部漢字

sorry

I lol'd.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so In the English version how does everyone think owain sorry odin's skill will work like I personally think it will be 8 letters activates it or something like that

so In the English version how does everyone think owain sorry odin's skill will work like I personally think it will be 8 letters activates it or something like that

That (or however many letters is the limit, in Awakening it actually differs depending on the size of the letters) would be the most 'faithful' way to localize it, but it would also be extremely lame. Tbh the only solution that still kinda makes sense given his character is to make the name all caps.

Yeah, if the character limit is 8 letters, there's no room for grammar. I'm not too experienced with Kanji but I've never seen a grammatically correct sentence with 8 Kanji in a row.

上上下下左右左右--"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right..."

Personally, I like this better 上上下下右右 but eh. That's just my opinion. Haven't used Chinese for years. I only see Kanji in Japanese nowadays.

Basically, most non-Japanese names won't work because it's written in Katakana and they take up quite a bit of space sometimes.

Edited by Magician Lugh

I came up with a few (basically just referenced stuff lel):

石破天驚撃竜大砲 (Rock-splitting Heaven-shaking Dragonbane Cannon)

天元突破叛逆乱刃 (Heaven-piercing Blades of Rebellion)

月下不知火狂詩曲 (Rhapsody of Shiranui under the Moon)

一発逆転次元閃光 (One-hit Reversal: Dimensional Flash)

Basically, most non-Japanese names won't work because it's written in Katakana and they take up quite a bit of space some times.

There are a few kanji that you can pretend are katakana, but I don't think there are enough to make the names of any of the existing characters.

工 (kou, used in words like factory and engineering)

力 (chikara, power)

夕 (yuu, evening)

千 (sen, thousand) kinda resembles katakana chi

二 (ni, two)

八 (hachi, eight)

口 (kuchi, mouth)

一 (ichi, one) for elongated sound

"Darkness Beyond Twilight, Crimson Beyond Blood that Flows"

"O Brilliance Reveal thy Destruction: Heaven's Wrath"

"The Ending Winter that Begets Eternal Night"

"The Despairing Void Where Chaos Reigns Eternal"

"O Holy One Cast thy Purifying Light to Cleanse These Corrupt Souls"

"The Light of Cosmos, The Source of All Creation"

"This Hand of Mine Glows With an Awesome Power"

"Gentle Winds Become a Mighty Vortex and Rend My Enemies Asunder"

Edited by Mysterique Sign

Toyotomi Hideyoshi
1536-1598

"My life
came like dew
disappears like dew.
All of Naniwa
is dream after dream."

Used as:

"Your life

came like dew

disappears like dew."

Now tell me this isn't fucking hilarious!

Edited by Lee

八文字名全部漢字

sorry

Does this mean "eight words all in Chinese" in Chinese?

There are a few kanji that you can pretend are katakana, but I don't think there are enough to make the names of any of the existing characters.

工 (kou, used in words like factory and engineering)

力 (chikara, power)

夕 (yuu, evening)

千 (sen, thousand) kinda resembles katakana chi

二 (ni, two)

八 (hachi, eight)

口 (kuchi, mouth)

一 (ichi, one) for elongated sound

Hey, I know all of these Kanji. Yay. 千 might a bit of a stretch but not too much.

Also Thor, been meaning to say this but quite a few of the Kanji I've come across(can't speak for others but if anyone can verify, that'd be great) by themselves are pretty close to their Chinese meaning. The ones Bovinian listed that I've quoted above are good examples but can't say I've seen 夕 in Chinese.

On occasion, the Kanji somewhat resemble their Chinese pronunciations too. This a bad example but, one reading of 所 is "sho" in Japanese and as you know, its Chinese reading is suo3.

Of course, please do correct me if I made any mistakes.

Edited by Magician Lugh

"burning embers of raging fury threaten to ignite into a massive blazing inferno of fire"

Basic fire tome

"Shining light falling from the heavens echoing the lightning bolts thunder"

Basic thunder tome

"Chilling gusts of air piercing the atmosphere with their wind"

Basic wind tome

Random tomes

"Perhaps if eight characters is all we need this will do?"

"I don't name my weapons, my weapons name themselves."

"These powerful urges are becoming uncontrollable, flee your imminent doom"

"I traded in my sword hand, and all I got was this lousy book."

"Making an epic sounding name takes more effort than it seems."

...clearly all these will work... Or not. :p

...kinda fun to try though.

I just want to know what makes them decide on a particular reading as the designated one. Like, why do they use げつ over がつ for 月? Is it that the former is just more common, or is it some holdover from the origin of the readings?

Meant to respond to this earlier but I was in hurry to leave. A pattern I've noticed is that the reading changes depending on the order they appear in the Kanji phrase/word. For 月, it can be read as げつ when it's in front of the word and it can be read as がつ when the word ends with it. For example: 月曜日 vs. 四月. I could be making this up but I think there's another reading for 月 but I'm not sure what it is.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Meant to respond to this earlier but I was in hurry to leave. A pattern I've noticed is that the reading changes depending on the order they appear in the Kanji phrase/word. For 月, it can be read as げつ when it's in front of the word and it's can be read as がつ when the word ends with it. For example: 月曜日 vs. 四月. I could be making this up but I think there's another reading for 月 but I'm not sure what it is.

つき, I believe it was

You guys are having way too much fun with this. Odin's Skill is just ridiculous in the best way possible, I hope they can translate that to the Localized version.

I have to agree with you there, best skill ever invented, and everyone is having so much fun making up names for Tomes that Odin can wield.

Actually, it's 無駄, so it's 無駄無駄無駄無駄. That works lol.

I was going for "be as stupid as possible". Thus, six snakes technically makes no sense, and 無 is a much more popular use of "mu" than 六, but I couldn't resist the joke.

Makes sense. I just want to know what makes them decide on a particular reading as the designated one. Like, why do they use げつ over がつ for 月? Is it that the former is just more common, or is it some holdover from the origin of the readings?

I'm curious about this too. The only experience I've had with this was when I tried forging a weapon in Japanese PoR (couldn't resist trying out the 255 crit glitch) and was looking for the 槍 kanji for lance. Now you would think it would be under や for やり, but no, it's under そ for そう. Seriously?

Most Japanese keyboard settings are smart and will adjust their suggestions as you're typing out the entire word. But for cases like FE forging where you have to look up individual characters at a time, you would think they'd go with how you would read it as a single character, if there is an applicable reading for it. So for 月 I'd try つき first before trying either げつ or がつ. Imo this allows for more consistency, but I'm sure the Japanese have a reason for how they did it and would know a lot more about it than I do...

Meant to respond to this earlier but I was in hurry to leave. A pattern I've noticed is that the reading changes depending on the order they appear in the Kanji phrase/word. For 月, it can be read as げつ when it's in front of the word and it can be read as がつ when the word ends with it. For example: 月曜日 vs. 四月. I could be making this up but I think there's another reading for 月 but I'm not sure what it is.

Eh, 一ヶ月 uses げつ despite 月 being at the end; it's more of a trend than a rule. And as Thor said, つき is the kunyoumi. But in any case I just meant I wanted to know what made the software guys decide "Okay, the user wants to enter 月. We'll stick it under 'け' rather than 'か' (or 'つ') because _____."

I'm curious about this too. The only experience I've had with this was when I tried forging a weapon in Japanese PoR (couldn't resist trying out the 255 crit glitch) and was looking for the 槍 kanji for lance. Now you would think it would be under や for やり, but no, it's under そ for そう. Seriously?

Most Japanese keyboard settings are smart and will adjust their suggestions as you're typing out the entire word. But for cases like FE forging where you have to look up individual characters at a time, you would think they'd go with how you would read it as a single character, if there is an applicable reading for it. So for 月 I'd try つき first before trying either げつ or がつ. Imo this allows for more consistency, but I'm sure the Japanese have a reason for how they did it and would know a lot more about it than I do...

Far as I can tell the input system usually (always??) favors the onyoumi, so it's at least consistent in that respect. The problem is that readings for standalone kanji almost always use kunyoumi, so it seems like the more obvious reading for something like this to me and (I assume) you.

Eh, 一ヶ月 uses げつ despite 月 being at the end; it's more of a trend than a rule. And as Thor said, つき is the kunyoumi. But in any case I just meant I wanted to know what made the software guys decide "Okay, the user wants to enter 月. We'll stick it under 'け' rather than 'か' (or 'つ') because _____."

To be honest, if you asked me what the onyomi was for 月 and I was only allowed to give one answer, I'd probably go with げつ. Though you might hear がつ more often, iirc it's only really used as a suffix for months in the year, whereas げつ is the more general reading used for other words. Off the top of my head: 月光 (gekkou) meaning moonlight (aka Luna), and 先月 / 来月 (sengetsu/raigetsu) for last/next month respectively.

Edited by Bovinian

つき, I believe it was

And as Thor said, つき is the kunyoumi.

Thanks guys

Eh, 一ヶ月 uses げつ despite 月 being at the end; it's more of a trend than a rule.

Though you might hear がつ more often, iirc it's only really used as a suffix for months in the year, whereas げつ is the more general reading used for other words. Off the top of my head: 月光 (gekkou) meaning moonlight (aka Luna), and 先月 / 来月 (sengetsu/raigetsu) for last/next month respectively.

You got me there. Guess I just I got lucky with the example. I wonder if other counter words have a specific reading that's only used when they're used as counter words. Never thought about this until now but would it be accurate to call counter words suffixes? In my mind, I call it a counter word when it goes after a number and call it a suffix when it goes after description word like 先/ 来.

But in any case I just meant I wanted to know what made the software guys decide "Okay, the user wants to enter 月. We'll stick it under 'け' rather than 'か' (or 'つ') because _____."

Far as I can tell the input system usually (always??) favors the onyoumi, so it's at least consistent in that respect. The problem is that readings for standalone kanji almost always use kunyoumi, so it seems like the more obvious reading for something like this to me and (I assume) you.

My guess is that that they might have more than one person working on it and one person prefers one over the other.

It makes sense that they go by kunyomi since Japan and China weren't on good terms back in the olden days and they don't want to change something that's in practice for so long. Why they would use onyumi is beyond me.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Here are a few that I came up with, I decided to give them names and descriptions to go with them. :P

'Burning Hope!'

"A light in the darkness that paves way to the future!"

-Fire Spell

'A Heroes Sacred Flame!'

"My blood is boiling!"

-Flame Spell

'The Clap of Odin!'

"Now fall by the will of Odin and be turned to ashe!"

-Thunder Spell

'Thundering Roar!'

"The roar strikes fear as the Lion's jaws take hold!"

-Thunder Spell

'The Nymph's Blessing'

"May this gale guide you safely through times of peril."

-Wind Spell

'Screeching Harpy'

"All who hear the screech of the Harpy shall be torn asunder!"

-Wind Spell

'Banshee's Call'

"Let it be known to all that your time is nigh!" or "The call of the Banshee marks the end of your life!"

-Dark Spell

'The Devil's Embrace!'

"Let darkness take hold of your soul and become one!"

-Dark Spell

'The Mark of Joan'

"All sinners shall come to know the light of retribution!"

-Light Spell

'Burning Cross!'

"A light called down from the heavens to smite evil! Its form is the burning cross!"

-Light Spell

'Holy Amibition!'

"None shall stop the light from piercing the evil within!"

-Light Spell

Edited by Kyza

You got me there. Guess I just I got lucky with the example. I wonder if other counter words have a specific reading that's only used when they're used as counter words. Never thought about this until now but would it be accurate to call counter words suffixes? In my mind, I call it a counter word when it goes after a number and call it a suffix when it goes after description word like 先/ 来.

In this specific case, 一ヶ月 (いっかげつ) means "one month" and is using 月 (or more accurately ヶ月) as the counter word. Whereas 一月 (いちがつ) is more along the lines of "month #1", aka January, so 月 is not really acting as a counter in this case (I don't really think suffix is the right way to describe it either, but that's just what I called it). 先月 and 来月 are just compound words.

Characters changing reading when they're used as counter words...not sure if this is a common thing or not. One easy example I can think of is 人, which reads にん when using it as a counter for people (starting with 3), but I believe in most other cases where the onyomi is used, it reads じん instead. (Actually I'm not even sure about this either since I can think of a few where it reads nin - 人間、人気、人形...)

Tl;dr Kanji is fucking weird.