Do you dislike a character simply because of their looks?

Chiki

I don't dislike characters for their looks although certain designs are rather weird as hell. For me the most important thing is CHARACTER.

How I judge these characters will be heavily based on that factor.

Also Chiki your fanboyism is really starting to get rather grating. Tone it down a little please.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read through Thor in the 80s and 90s, bad character designs are not going to phase me over my final judgement of a character because I understand that the artist put them in that outfit and it's not their choice

So for example Camilla, I dislike strongly a very significant portion of her design and I've written extensively on the demerits of that design from a pure aesthetic pov (mainly the bottom half), but that dislike only stays within the design, and from what I've seen so far she's probably a character I might actually like. Having a design I like will influence me positively on the character however, though not enough to save them if I really don't like their character. Personality wins out mostly.

That being said if I'm not already into a series, and it has character design that, well, aren't necessarily bad but doesn't quite interest me, I'm not likely to get into it. Visuals are still very important and I am a character designer myself

Edited by Thor Odinson

Nohr's designs feel really bland and uninspired to me

I agree with this, mostly. The only Nohr designs I like so far are Elise and Pieri. The others are meh or just bad.

In general, I take to certain characters right away due to their looks, but I may easily reverse my opinion of them if I find their characterization disagreeable.

Well I think there is a difference between the people who hate units for their appearance (Camilla and Charlotte seem to be the primary recipients of this) and just slightly disliking a unit's design (Nyx's big spike on hair ornament looks really weird and stupid, but it won't stop me from using her).

I think it's unfair to dislike either Camilla or Charlotte for having an exposed chest given the number of males with exposed chest in FE (I understand gender differences play a role, but let'). It's not as if Basillo's exposed chest is somehow better defended than either of the aforementioned girls.

I think disliking the way their boobs are shown design wise (i.e. someone said something like they felt Charlotte's looked fake and unnatural they way they're displayed) is fine.

Camilla's design is beautiful, but the boob belt has got to go.

That looks really goofy.

Agree 100%. Can't understand it's purpose. I'm holding out hope (no matter how improbable) it's a leash to some kind of hidden weapon.

I agree with this, mostly. The only Nohr designs I like so far are Elise and Pieri. The others are meh or just bad.

It's funny how opinions can differ so drastically; I can't stand Elise's design, hell I think it's up there with Orochi and Camilla. It's just so over the top, the twintails look like giant hot dogs, she's got bloody HEARTS on her black and pink outfit...is she supposed to be cute or intimidating? Either way, she's neither.

I can't say anything about designs being artistically bad or anything like that though, since I've got no clue about that stuff.

Agree 100%. Can't understand it's purpose. I'm holding out hope (no matter how improbable) it's a leash to some kind of hidden weapon.

Probably a BOOB ATTACK! Actually have heard about a woman doing this irl too. Meaning, attacking someone with her boobs.

It's funny how opinions can differ so drastically; I can't stand Elise's design, hell I think it's up there with Orochi and Camilla. It's just so over the top, the twintails look like giant hot dogs, she's got bloody HEARTS on her black and pink outfit...is she supposed to be cute or intimidating? Either way, she's neither.

I can't say anything about designs being artistically bad or anything like that though, since I've got no clue about that stuff.

Yeah, it IS kinda funny... I guess Elise's design is a case of you either love it or hate it.

Edited by Anacybele

I try to avoid judging the characters on their appearances, character design might still affect me while playing, but then their in-game portraits would be what i was going on. Their battle models are normally too hard for me to see clearly enough for me to notice bad designs that much. So a bad lower body design won't really affect me at all, Nor would anything not in their portraits really. Cutscenes might, but i would see the portraits every time i use them i only ever really see them in a cutscene during cutscenes (duh). Then again i just want non boring/generic characters (simple armour designs didn't really help radiant dawns lack of supports and other games with characters with no or limited non death/escape quotes also had rather simple designs) and so far that seems to be achieved, so i'm good.

There is a disconnect for me between disliking a design and disliking a character. Re: Camilla, I think her design is very silly but she seems to be a nice character overall. A bit too early to tell anything gameplay-wise.

Of course I don't. I thought Reyson was the most gorgeous beautiful thing from his pictures until I read his dialogue and I was like '....eh..' You know? In the case of Camilla, though

Eh. I guess cause it feels like the developers are trying to push looks over personality?

I think that's the case. I don't know enough about her to have an opinion on her yet either way, but if anyone dislikes her right off the bat, I would assume it's because of this.

I don't really get hating a character based on design alone, I think Camilla's design isn't bad then again I've seen worse in other video games and anime. IMO if the personality is good I wouldn't care if a character looks like a horse's backside.

Probably a BOOB ATTACK! Actually have heard about a woman doing this irl too. Meaning, attacking someone with her boobs.

Yeah, it IS kinda funny... I guess Elise's design is a case of you either love it or hate it.

Maybe she can flash units with them to make them unable to attack during the enemy phase? And I once watched a video of an EXTREMELY BUSTY women break a watermelon with her chest....was very weird.

I don't think they gave her black because she's supposed to be intimidating, I think she's just meant to blend in with her blood siblings who all have black as their primary color. Given the hearts (which I can't spot I but I'll take your word) and pink, plus the sausage twintails, I think they were aiming for cute.

I don't think they gave her black because she's supposed to be intimidating, I think she's just meant to blend in with her blood siblings who all have black as their primary color. Given the hearts (which I can't spot I but I'll take your word) and pink, plus the sausage twintails, I think they were aiming for cute.

They're obviously going with the "cute little sister" trope that has been done so much in Japanese entertainment media that just hearing an "onii-chan" makes me afraid the character will taint the entire game/series. I only know of one little sister who was well-written, and she was her own person first and an accessory to the protagonist second.

Anyway, I still think the black and pink clash, not to mention the awkwardly placed hearts on her gloves; what was the thought process there? "Yeah, we're the glory-seeking, badass nation filled with sexy psychopaths...and that one little girl who's got hearts on her fucking combat dress".

Ana, you have a really weird obsession with breast sizes.

I remember back in 2013 you used to constantly call Lucina homely and comment on her lack of boobs. Now you constantly talk about hating Camilla because she has too much boobs.

There is more to a girl than the size of her jugs.

I've noticed that most of these comments are about boobs. Well.... alright, Camilla does have a nice face and good hair but.... but... how can I focus on that when there are objects bigger then her face shown?

They're obviously going with the "cute little sister" trope that has been done so much in Japanese entertainment media that just hearing an "onii-chan" makes me afraid the character will taint the entire game/series. I only know of one little sister who was well-written, and she was her own person first and an accessory to the protagonist second.

Anyway, I still think the black and pink clash, not to mention the awkwardly placed hearts on her gloves; what was the thought process there? "Yeah, we're the glory-seeking, badass nation filled with sexy psychopaths...and that one little girl who's got hearts on her fucking combat dress".

What little sister are you referring to? Just curious. I don't follow any series with little sisters who are anything more than side characters.

And yea the black does kind of ruin the cuteness of the pink (I think that's what you're saying), but the hearts don't bother me. She's like 14 probably, it's not unusual she might want to make her outfit cute somehow. And she's a healer, so you could always look at the hearts as representing health.

Actually looking at her outfit again, I'd prefer they either just have it black and pink or (my preference) black and white, with maybe a slight pink trim on the bottom of her dress. But having all 3 featured so much looks weird on her. I'm cool with the pink bow regardless.

Yeah, we're the glory-seeking, badass nation filled with sexy psychopaths...and that one little girl who's got hearts on her fucking combat dress".

Now you've got me wondering what it would have been like if she was a violent, mischievous type to fit in with the rest of Nohr and be a counter for timid Sakura.

I've noticed that most of these comments are about boobs. Well.... alright, Camilla does have a nice face and good hair but.... but... how can I focus on that when there are objects bigger then her face shown?

The same way you do with real life busty (DD and up) women lol....