AI and attack/guard stance

Lee

I very much hope for this game to improve enemy AI.

In past games the tactic 90% of the time was

if your units were still weak:

- bait as little enemies at possible and then murder them by overwhelming odds.

if strong

- do not give a fuck about the actually enemy units

Now with the new pair up for enemy AI this could be subject to change.

It is debatable as especially the attack stance for enemy units is just a joke with the old AI. The only way I can see this to be a factor is if there are just overwhelming numbers of enemies or there are a lot of chokepoints.

Do you think the AI is actually intelegent enough to pair the best matches?

Or do you think think guard stance pair ups are premade?

Do you think enemies won't start attacking anything in range and much rather stay together for the attack stance?

Hm, now that you mention it, I think a lot of the guard stances will be premade. I can imagine that the siblings on the opposite side will fight as one, for instance.

As for the attack stance, I don't think the AI will be centered around it, but it'll recognize when such an opportunity presents itself.

Hm, now that you mention it, I think a lot of the guard stances will be premade. I can imagine that the siblings on the opposite side will fight as one, for instance.

As for the attack stance, I don't think the AI will be centered around it, but it'll recognize when such an opportunity presents itself.

But then how is the attack stance even relevant? You can still bait the AI one by one so there's no stance at all.

And if there is a chokepoint you need very few pairups to negate the attack stances...

Actually, I'm not really digging the Attack Stance system this time, unless I read it wrong; two units have to be adjacent to each other, which means for melee units one of them either has to use a 1-2 square weapon (which cannot double in this game) or give up the chance to attack so that Attack Stance can be activated. Does Attack Stance work when you surround an enemy unit?

I think the CPU will value max damage as always because IS knows a lot of us reset when we lose one person, so Attack Stance all the way.

Like, if I position my units as: (X are mine)

X

XY

Does Attack Stance activate?

Doubtful. It is as you say, you've got to strategize and make sure you've got enough ranged units/people with 1-2 range weapons.

I don't think I fully understand this now that they've split the Dual system up.

Say you're paired up, and there's a player unit that's next to you, can you choose which stance you're gonna go into battle with?

The formation:

Y is the enemy

X

XY , where the X on this line is paired up

Dual Guard or Dual Attack?

I don't think I fully understand this now that they've split the Dual system up.

Say you're paired up, and there's a player unit that's next to you, can you choose which stance you're gonna go into battle with?

The formation:

Y is the enemy

X

XY , where the X on this line is paired up

Dual Guard or Dual Attack?

Nah, if your not paired up like in Awakening and your units are like you describe it is always in attack stance. However if you choose to pair up two units effectivly becoming one, they are on guard stance.

Again you might remember FEA? Even though you didn't pair up two units you could still get a support attack by having them positioned like quote related. That is now called attack stance.

Actually pairing up in FEA is now guard stance with the limitation to dual guard and no dual attack. Also guard stance negates any incoming dual attacks.

Edited by Lee

So... what about 2 Guard Stance units fighting against each other? Wouldn't it just never end or will the shield gauge need to be filled first to activate a Dual Guard?

The shield guard needs to be filled first, otherwise it'd be a traditional 1vs1 battle (but with stat boosts and bonuses). Felicia almost died in the introduction trailer, even though she's in Guard Stance.

The shield guard needs to be filled first, otherwise it'd be a traditional 1vs1 battle (but with stat boosts and bonuses). Felicia almost died in the introduction trailer, even though she's in Guard Stance.

Imagine a steetpass battle with uber units. They'd have like 80% guard chance or something +Lifesteal skill. God it would take forevaaa

Guard stance negates *ALL* Enemy Dual attacks, and fills up a meter to block regular attacks.

I'm assuming that meter negates only one "attack" (blocks the two attacks from an Aether activation or all 5 from an Astra) and not double (+5 speed) or brave follow up attacks.

Guard stance negates *ALL* Enemy Dual attacks, and fills up a meter to block regular attacks.

...That's what I was saying.

If the gauge isn't filled up, only Dual attacks are negated, thus resulting in a 1vs1 battle.

EDIT: Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The "Felicia almost died" part referred to the fact that's she's still hit by regular attack (which almost killed her), not as in she would have died if she wasn't Dual guarded.

Edited by Ryo

I'm hopeful, from the scans i have seen it looks like they take advantage of it. Guard stance in a choke point, with the thief in the back for good measure, Units in a _|- formation to take advantage of attack stance ect.

Edited by goodperson707

But then how is the attack stance even relevant? You can still bait the AI one by one so there's no stance at all.

And if there is a chokepoint you need very few pairups to negate the attack stances...

If it's like Awakening most enemies will either be leashed together in a group, e.g. if you're in range of one enemy the rest of the group will come after you or they'll become aggressive from the start of a chapter or after a certain amount of turns. Or maybe they might make it like New Mystery where certain enemy formations have it so enemies won't move unless you're in range of more than 1 of them.

Even if the AI stays the same with just a few pre-set pair ups, I'm really excited for what the new stances will bring to the game. Guaranteed follow up hits will mean a lot more damage output from enemies, so even though you want attack stance all the time you'll probably need to guard stance just to keep your weaker units alive, or to stop those 2nd hits from adding up. It's not just pair up and steamroll anymore.

I also like how it eliminates some of the randomness from Awakening. Half the time I lost a unit it was because someone guarding a choke point crit or got a support attack when I needed them not to. Now I can guard stance or attack stance and be more certain of what will happen.

In the My Castle video, there was a section when it showed the placement of units for defence battles (so guidance for the AI when attacked in Streetpass). It was possible to group up some units together, both for attack and for guard stance, so I'm sure that AI for maps in general are setup in the same way.

I probably missed the announcement, but did they say that attack stance will happen 100% of the time for adjacent units?

Yes, unless the opponent is in Guard Stance which will automatically neutralize the dual attack.

Is there a way to see what stance an enemy is in before you attack them?

It's just like us. If they're standing adjacent to one another, then it's Attack Stance. If they're paired up, then it's Guard Stance.