Fire Emblem: Requiem - V1.4 is up

Sacred Blaze

Which characters do you like? (Not in terms of anything in particular)  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Allies

• Val
    • Andrei
    • Linda
    • Katarina
    • Keiran
    • Josie
    • Rayden
    • Marco
    • Kane
    • Isaac
    • Nella
    • Layla
    • Almer
    • Ash
    • Drake
    • Gemma
    • Clare
    • Alicia
    • Edward
    • Nala
    • Skye
    • Hawke
    • Jace
    • Vincent
    • Ordanze
    • Laraya
    • Emilia
    • Alyssa
    • Kenrick
    • Pamela
    • Meredith
    • Thelma

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, i'm enjoying this hack so far, and that it's fully completed story wise gives a lot of incentive to see it through. That being said, christ is this thing difficult for me. Especially the chapter i'm on right now, 11. It seems like i need to rush to get to where Linda and Marco are, while at the same time, rushing back a turn or two later after the boss leaves to deal with those reinforcements. And every time someone dies, at various stages within the map, and i've restarted like 20 times now. Plus it doesnt help that Drake is the only one who can take a hit, yet plods along with terrible movement. I need him everywhere yet can barely get him anywhere :p Any tips?

I have to say, i'm enjoying this hack so far, and that it's fully completed story wise gives a lot of incentive to see it through. That being said, christ is this thing difficult for me. Especially the chapter i'm on right now, 11. It seems like i need to rush to get to where Linda and Marco are, while at the same time, rushing back a turn or two later after the boss leaves to deal with those reinforcements. And every time someone dies, at various stages within the map, and i've restarted like 20 times now. Plus it doesnt help that Drake is the only one who can take a hit, yet plods along with terrible movement. I need him everywhere yet can barely get him anywhere :p Any tips?

Chapter 11 was by far the most difficult chapter for me on both of my runs. I know some people have just tried to rush to the end of the map and never have to face the elite reinforcements. I always want the experience, so I tend to use the narrow part to the north as a chokepoint and deal with them little by little, rushing back there after I save Linda and Marco. Still, I had to restart a lot with this strategy. My advice is, don't feel ashamed for using save states here.

Within the first few turns, drop Alicia and Ash down in that section of the map by using Gemma. Don't worry, they can survive fine with some healing items (especially Alicia). Then use Alicia's special tome (forget what it's called) to kill the Knights down there and wait for Linda and Marco to appear. Recruit them, and then fly back up to the top of the map and finish it off from there.

I don't recall the chapter exactly so tell me if any of that sounds suspect.

I'm having a problem when loading up the ROM hack. I patched it with NUPS, load it into the emulator and I get a white screen, which is weird because this never happened before with any other ROM hacks I use.

Are you using the correct FE7 rom? only seen that happen to me when the Rom is invalid to the patch.

I use Fire Emblem (U) English version and works great

Are you using the correct FE7 rom? only seen that happen to me when the Rom is invalid to the patch.

I use Fire Emblem (U) English version and works great

That might be the problem since I'm using the (E) version of the ROM. Let me see if that works.

I found a game breaking bug!!!

In the end in chapter 18 when the cut scene ends the game freezes and then does realy loud beep noise please help me I cant continue the game!!!

You could skip the cut scene and skip the "Bug" by going straight into the next chapter or restart the chapter instead of resuming it.

I found a game breaking bug!!!

In the end in chapter 18 when the cut scene ends the game freezes and then does realy loud beep noise please help me I cant continue the game!!!

I remember this issue coming up before, but I'm certain that I fixed it.

When did you get the patch that you're playing through?

With that patch, you'd have to skip over it, (and the short bit of dialogue that's there) because it's trying to move someone on the map who isn't there.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

• 3 weeks later...

Well, downloaded, played and finished Requiem.

First of all, a huge thank you for making this game! I'm pretty sure this was a humongous endeavor and it's amazing to see such a large project actually finished. My final clock time was 25 hours and that's pretty amazing for a fan hack.

With that said, I have a pile of comments to offer. It's always easier to critique than praise, so apologies if it sounds overly negative: I did enjoy my playthrough through your game.

**************************** SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME *******************************

- I absolutely adored Josie; she's honestly one of my favorite character out of all of the SRPG games I've played so far (that's a big pile). A very respectable adult woman who is nice and responsible, yet has a strong temper, beautiful despite her flaw, and she actually keeps her importance in the storyline throughout the entire game. She's simply perfect as a character, I couldn't actually give any suggestion on how she could be improved. Major kudos there. I also liked Val, Alicia and Rayden.

- I loved Val's storyline and the early chapters of Ash's story. Emotional, touching and challenging from a gameplay perspective. Great fun.

- From the Eruthian library chapter onward, I started feeling progressively more and more annoyed by the storyline in general. Ash as a character is fine; the problem is that you have tons and tons of lines of dialogs about how "The dark powers in Ash is growing and how he might lose control and how he must go on for his family". That happens before every chapter and after each of them. It's plainly obvious at the midway point of the game that Ash will have to sacrifice himself. Okay, it's sad and his family love him. I feel that this should have been a sideline to a overarching storyline, and not be the storyline itself. I felt extremely tired at the repeating situations every single chapter when the outcome was obvious for so long away. It was touching at first, but I was far from the end of the game before I felt like I had enough of the subject. I was literally extasic when there were some tiny parts of the storyline that did not consist of Ash's darkness in the second half of the game.

- Gameplay: In general, I found most regular "offense" chapters to be okay and the defense and escape chapters great. While Chapter 1 might be a bit too hard for a super early chapter (I managed first try but I'm sure some people ragequit right away), the first half of the game was generally challenging and fun. And then the enemies stopped improving. My units kept getting stronger and stronger, getting better weapons and class changing, and the enemy stats stayed nearly the same. I fought a grand total of 4 arena battles in the entire game (wanted money to buy a Sniper Bow) so it wasn't a case of arena abuse.

As usual in my first Fire Emblem game playthrough, I try to do a female only runs (+ lords and thief if necessary) once I have enough units to do so. I was reticent to do so here in this game because it was fairly difficult and no female units were durable except for Josie, who had not rejoined yet at that point. I kept Drake and Bruno for some time, kicked Drake out at midgame (he was awesome, but I wanted an axe user and my Bruno had lots of HP and Def). The further I got, the more my units oculd survive. Josie was nearly invincible, Alicia could literally take out swarms of enemies, Gemma could outfight anything and Val was nearly as good. Nala and Laraya were getting out of battles untouched. I kicked out Bruno at that point; more than half my characters were outrageously powerful compared to the opponents, and even swordmasters and desert hunters could be thrown in enemy groups without any care as long as there wasn't too many enemies with the opposite weapon triangle.

I thought I had got incredibly lucky with the RNG level ups, but after checking the average stats in the first post, that wasn't the case: at most differences were 2-3 points (with some lowers to compensate) and usually were about average with the exception of Alicia's defense (+6). I then checked the enemies further, and the problem is really them: At the chapter prior to the last, the majority of enemies are STILL not promoted somehow. The enemies that are actually promoted have stats averaging 15 (???) right at endgame. The bosses are threatening, but that's it: the enemy opposition is extremely weak, and feels about the same as they were ten chapters earlier. Yes, the very last level enemies are dangerous, with much higher stats, all promoted, and very nasty weapons... But from midgame to before the last chapters, enemies stay about the same while the player's strength skyrocket. Even with my restriction of only using female units (+Ash +Edward), the game was not very challenging starting at the midway point, and steadily got easier and easier the further I got. And I'm far from being a top FE player either (Hard Classic is my usual level for example, or Hard** in Shadow Dragon, ect. I don't play Lunatic modes).

- A huge thank you for not forcing Ash to face a boss all by himself. My main characters in most Fire Emblem games tend to be incredibly unlucky with level ups, and Ash was probably the worst I had ever seen (Hello single digit speed at level 20). I kept fearing to be completely stuck in the game because of that, but it never happened. I hate when games force your main character in a fight that's basically unwinnable because of pure bad luck. Your solution of giving Ash and Alicia a special anti-mage spellbook so they get bonuses but keep the other units useful against the final boss is the right one in my opinion (Although in my case Gemma simply soloed the final boss without even needing to be healed).

- The bonus chapter that allows you to easily grind supports and get more background information is a pretty cool idea.

- I liked how human the characters were. While some had their quirks like Linda or Andrei, it was never "tropey" or overdone like so many FE games (especially the newer ones).

- Some supports were pretty neat (Val/Josie for example, or Nala/Laraya, especially the paired ending). One thing I did miss however was a touch of humor: it literally was nowhere to be found. While I appreciate that it kept somber tones, it felt a bit depressing that everyone's support were so filled with tragedy (at least the ones I've seen). The lighter ones like Gemma/Clare were not "feel good" either. There might have been some lighter ones, but I sure didn't encounter them. Also, some referred to storyline events that had not actually happened yet (so were confusing and made no sense at the time) or were about a discussion that was about something that's already been resolved in the main storyline.

- The ending is about how Val had united the continent together and all the political prowess that she had during the war, her charisma and so on so forth... Yet you barely see any of that in the game proper once Val's chapter is done, except for a tiny bit with the local militia that was already on her side. The game was all about Ash's darkness, and the ending is about Val's political and military development (that sounds far more interesting than Ash and the doom and gloom surrounding them). It felt like a tonal dissonance to have the game ending celebrating what we didn't see and barely comment about what we've played the second half of the game. Kudos for not bringing Ash back to life though. I also loved how positive the ending was; it's extremely welcome after all the doom and gloom that was present in the game, and scenes like Linda with her mother was great.

Overall, I liked the game, and I loved the first half. The second half tired and annoyed me more and more the further I got both from a story and gameplay perspective, but I really appreciate the game and I did enjoy playing it. So a big thank you, and sorry for sounding so negative: I did like it, it's just so much easier to rant about the negatives than the positives (at least how I perceive them).

Thank you again!

Edited by Ayra

That's fine. Thanks for the honest criticism.

You know, I think I'm gonna start packing the game with a .sav file with hard mode unlocked, because yeah, normal mode really just doesn't quite cut it sometimes. I've noticed that myself.

The main thing, as you said, is the low-stat unpromoted enemies. When I first put this up, there were even less promoted enemies and I've slowly been trying to improve on that.

At the same time though, I was trying not to throw too many promoted enemies at the player because then everyone just levels up faster and then I need to keep on raising enemy stats, which is another problem in itself.

The end result of that was basically what you've got now, which isn't perfect. But I'm against making large changes to the mode, just because

Tbh though, going an all-female run on this hack might have actually made it slightly easier for you in this case, but that doesn't change any of the above.

I don't doubt that this is true, (in fact, I know it IS true) but which supports referred to things that hadn't happened/were resolved, if you can remember? Some of them might be unintentional.

As for the humour, I opted not to go for it in large parts, because - coming from me - it really wouldn't be good, trust me. The few examples of it are there in supports with Alyssa, Meredith and Laraya, I guess.

With Val and her place in the ending, yeah it's not something that is directly reflected much in the events of the game, but the point of it is more that - despite Ash being the "main" character, a lot of characters join you because of Valentine and a lot of characters speak to her during maps and stuff. Also, the main countries in the land, Tiomare, Megelar (less so) and Isaac's lands owe quite a bit to her as a results of what did happen in the game. It probably could have been represented better though, as you and others have pointed out before. Some more actual dialogue related to those things would definitely help out there.

That said, thanks for the write-up. I appreciate it.

Also, you missed a golden opportunity in posting this on Valentine's Day, just sayin'.

In other news, I've added up a list of all the talk conversations in the game to the front post. Well, actually, I did it a while back, but forgot to mention it.

• 3 weeks later...

Took me much longer than expected, but I finally beat the first new map in my playthrough (the one in Val Mode). Some notes I took and then expanded upon once completed:

-Cavalier in the upper left corner of the map on a probably needs larger movement trigger. Was left alone up there for a very long time: not until I was in line with the stairs leading to the grass before the throne did he move. Maybe tie him into freed prisoners rush of reinforcements?

-Was basically pinned into the bottom left corner of the map due to reinforcements/flow of the map. I had originally split up into left and right paths, very quickly saw that I need more help on the left so Keiran was sent to solo the right side while everyone worked together on the left. Which basically ended up being Kane, Isaac, and the axe guy holding the choke point right before the chests/Layla's prison on the left side, while everyone else with ranged weapons chipped in from over the wall. (Val and Andrei didn't have the defence to hold the line so they were kinda stuck just standing there for 90% of the map, only got to attack at the beginning and the end of the map.) Then opened Layla's prison, more troops poured out, just kinda held my ground there. Keiran roped a few dudes into taking the long way around the right side but he couldn't take them on due to the mages. Instead brought them to the main cluster of allies once they were done with the other reinforcements.

Split paths idea works in theory, but I think more troops need to be on the right side to begin with/move to the right to enforce this idea. Feels very left heavy, kinda bogs down the map because its too many troops at once to advance though safely. Maybe have more than just one mage pop up to attack the generic prisoners once freed as well on the right side.

-Harder to train Layla due to initial rush of troops/configuration of reinforcements. Felt like on the old map, more troops were still alive by the time you freed her and many behind walls.

Yo, so I started LPing this game recently, I kind of assumed you're ok with that but just to be respectful, are you ok with that? Let me know.

So far it's pretty good, the story seems way more interesting than any other FE-like games I've played in a while though I'm only up to chapter 2, and the character writing is pretty solid, but I found chapter 1 to be extremely difficult. It ended up ok later but it seems like I was not only getting screwed RNG-wise but also the chapter seems significantly more difficult based on your approach due to the nature of reinforcements that I couldn't predict, but eh. My point being not to complain but rather ask, am I the only one who was having trouble or what? Because I was a little surprised to hear there's a hard mode given how long and tough chapter 1 was, lol. Maybe it gets easier later, I kinda hope so, haha.

EDIT: While I haven't played a more classic FE game like the GBAFEs in a while, I'm not a total scrub at FE, no. And basically once I pulled the two powerful units down and learned the timings of the map it wasn't so hard, but until then I was basically screwed since everyone but Val was near useless, lol

Edited by Crimson Red

Hello everyone, it's the first time I post here and I excuse myself in advance for my english, I'm french.

Well, being a fan of the fire emblem games, I wanted to try this hack but when I try to patch the rom I downloaded , it tells my that the file doesn't match. Could anyone help me please ? I really want to try your hack

Edited by Yoben

Hello everyone, it's the first time I post here and I excuse myself in advance for my english, I'm french.

[Obligatory "linking to roms is illegal" statement]

That aside, this is an (E) rom and you want a (U) rom.

[Obligatory "linking to roms is illegal" statement]

That aside, this is an (E) rom and you want a (U) rom.

Oh sorry, I just edited, and I also have a (U) rom it keeps telling me the same

Oh sorry, I just edited, and I also have a (U) rom it keeps telling me the same

Can you detail your process?

e.g. extract rom from archive; extract patch from archive; run nups-- every single action you took/are taking?

Sorry for the delay, I got wrapped up in other things

Took me much longer than expected, but I finally beat the first new map in my playthrough (the one in Val Mode). Some notes I took and then expanded upon once completed:

-Cavalier in the upper left corner of the map on a probably needs larger movement trigger. Was left alone up there for a very long time: not until I was in line with the stairs leading to the grass before the throne did he move. Maybe tie him into freed prisoners rush of reinforcements?

-Was basically pinned into the bottom left corner of the map due to reinforcements/flow of the map. I had originally split up into left and right paths, very quickly saw that I need more help on the left so Keiran was sent to solo the right side while everyone worked together on the left. Which basically ended up being Kane, Isaac, and the axe guy holding the choke point right before the chests/Layla's prison on the left side, while everyone else with ranged weapons chipped in from over the wall. (Val and Andrei didn't have the defence to hold the line so they were kinda stuck just standing there for 90% of the map, only got to attack at the beginning and the end of the map.) Then opened Layla's prison, more troops poured out, just kinda held my ground there. Keiran roped a few dudes into taking the long way around the right side but he couldn't take them on due to the mages. Instead brought them to the main cluster of allies once they were done with the other reinforcements.

Split paths idea works in theory, but I think more troops need to be on the right side to begin with/move to the right to enforce this idea. Feels very left heavy, kinda bogs down the map because its too many troops at once to advance though safely. Maybe have more than just one mage pop up to attack the generic prisoners once freed as well on the right side.

-Harder to train Layla due to initial rush of troops/configuration of reinforcements. Felt like on the old map, more troops were still alive by the time you freed her and many behind walls.

Alright then. Thanks for the feedback, either way.

I did intend for the map to be a bit left heavy, but you might be right about it being too much. I figured that most people would care more about the recruitable characters, especially if you want to use Layla, as opposed to the npc prisoners.

I made training Layla harder overall, largely just because on the old version, it required next to no effort. On this map though, there are still ways to go about it. One good way is to actually not bother about helping the prisoners out until you get here, because those enemies on the right aren't too bad.

Yo, so I started LPing this game recently, I kind of assumed you're ok with that but just to be respectful, are you ok with that? Let me know.

So far it's pretty good, the story seems way more interesting than any other FE-like games I've played in a while though I'm only up to chapter 2, and the character writing is pretty solid, but I found chapter 1 to be extremely difficult. It ended up ok later but it seems like I was not only getting screwed RNG-wise but also the chapter seems significantly more difficult based on your approach due to the nature of reinforcements that I couldn't predict, but eh. My point being not to complain but rather ask, am I the only one who was having trouble or what? Because I was a little surprised to hear there's a hard mode given how long and tough chapter 1 was, lol. Maybe it gets easier later, I kinda hope so, haha.

EDIT: While I haven't played a more classic FE game like the GBAFEs in a while, I'm not a total scrub at FE, no. And basically once I pulled the two powerful units down and learned the timings of the map it wasn't so hard, but until then I was basically screwed since everyone but Val was near useless, lol

Yeah, go ahead.

It gets easier as things go on, I'm sure anyone who's played most of it will agree with that.

I hadn't made any changes for the hard mode of this part of the game - the lyn mode - though, so nobody needs to worry about that. Tbh, this beginning section of this mode is probably the hardest part of the entire game, which is why I put up the .sav to let people freely go straight to hard mode on the other mode if they want to.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Apologies, I do most of my Emulated gaming on a MacBook( yes I know I am a pleb)...

I can not get NUPS to patch the FE file since NUPS.exe is refusing to run on my system.

Is there any way to get a pre-patched file as a download option here?(or is that not how the patching works?)

Am I just boned and have to resort to my non portable PC?

Just use a patching software where you can. If you can't use another pc there are even patchers for android.

Linking to roms is forbidden, so no pre-patched files.

Just use a patching software where you can. If you can't use another pc there are even patchers for android.

Linking to roms is forbidden, so no pre-patched files.

Didn't know that, thanks. I will probably just USB the patched files over to my laptop from my desktop then.