Fire Emblem: Requiem - V1.4 is up

Sacred Blaze

Which characters do you like? (Not in terms of anything in particular)  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Allies

• Val
    • Andrei
    • Linda
    • Katarina
    • Keiran
    • Josie
    • Rayden
    • Marco
    • Kane
    • Isaac
    • Nella
    • Layla
    • Almer
    • Ash
    • Drake
    • Gemma
    • Clare
    • Alicia
    • Edward
    • Nala
    • Skye
    • Hawke
    • Jace
    • Vincent
    • Ordanze
    • Laraya
    • Emilia
    • Alyssa
    • Kenrick
    • Pamela
    • Meredith
    • Thelma

Apologies, I do most of my Emulated gaming on a MacBook( yes I know I am a pleb)...

I can not get NUPS to patch the FE file since NUPS.exe is refusing to run on my system.

Is there any way to get a pre-patched file as a download option here?(or is that not how the patching works?)

Am I just boned and have to resort to my non portable PC?

I use a MacBook as well. You'll want to use this:

http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be aware with multipatch, that it can't repatch a file that's already patched. No patching software on Mac can as far as I know.

So if the game updates, you're going to have to make a fresh copy and start over.

• 2 weeks later...

Double post, but got to the second new map. Thoughts:

1) A bit frantic if you only have one healer, but certainly flows more quickly than the last version. Felt pretty well balanced enemy wise, liked that the thieves take the long route out so your other group has a chance to cut them off.

2) Liked the touch of the stealable items.

---

Other random thoughts that others may or may not have said at one point or another:

1) Clare should get light magic instead of anima magic upon promotion. We already have Alicia, Rayden, and Layla for that magic class. Don't really need a fourth, and moving her over to light magic makes a nice balance. Dark has Ash and Alicia. Light has Katarina, Rayden and Clare. Anima has Alicia, Rayden and Layla. Instead of a 2/2/4 split we have a 2/3/3 split.

2) Alicia's Ice Cage tome needs some help. In all of my playthroughs I've never ran out of the first one or really come close. The problem is that cavaliers and knights already have crap res, so the bonus damage to them doesn't mean much. Early on it can be nice, but then the tome's weight kicks in and Alicia can't double the cavaliers and can't quite 1SK them. Later on, she still sometimes can't double the cavaliers and its overkill on the knights. It most situations, using a Fire or Thunder tome is superior.

It also really doesn't stack up well against the Thunder tome. Same damage, -5 Hit, +5 Crit, +4 Weight (and against 7 con that means -3 AS). Ash's Sink tome is worthwhile because even if it has lower damage than Flux, it nukes mages while having very low weight. Mages of course have high resistance and thus the bonus damage against them is extremely helpful and Ash has a chance to double them. It can also serve as an emergency "I really need to double in order to kill" tome.

Have you considered lowering its damage, its weight, and then making it effective against fliers? It makes sense for multiple reasons. Ice is pretty deadly to flying things (see: ice on airplane wings), pegasus knights can be a threat earlier on due to higher res + high speed vs squishy sword users like Nala, and wyvern riders are always "must kill ASAP". So instead of 8/70/10/10/Infantry, make it say, 5/80/10/7/Fliers. Compared to the Fire tome it trades 10 hit for 10 crit + bonus damage to Fliers. Seems like a reasonable personal tome, and would certainly be very usable. Maaaaybe bump its damage up to 6 but in return bump its weight up to 8 so there is an AS loss of 1 in return without a Body Ring/Promotion.

3) My 18/1 Layla has 10 magic. 10! She has that much defence! The game mocks me so! 18/2 Andrei has 13 Strength, 18/1 Jace has 12. Until recently, Ash and Alicia were also magic screwed, lol.

That's good to know.

And yeah, I did do some testing to figure out where the thieves should escape. Originally I wanted them to go somewhere else, but it made it pretty darn difficult to get them without throwing one of your units in almost certain death. I tried it on hard mode with one of those setups and even Josie couldn't safely take care of thief and make it back.

Clare getting light magic is fair point, but she doesn't really have the greatest magic stat. In fact, it's on par with Layla, based on the average stats. And with light magic being as weak as it is and Clare not really being someone who you can get a high magic level with, it seems like she needs the extra damage of anima tomes more than she needs light, to some extent. Also, Layla/Clare A support.

And you're right about Ice Cage. I can't remember whether this existed in any version of the patch that I put up here, but it was originally a heavier tome with around 10 or 11 MT and more crit, I think. I think Alicia also had a higher magic growth back then though, so it literally just killed everything. Didn't really know what to do with it after that.

What you're saying is a decent solution, probably. Better than what I've got, thats seems certain.

However, Thunder (Burst) is already there for wyverns. And will the extra two damage (compared to Thunder) make a big difference in the long run against pegasus knights? You can get an Elfire - also 10 MT - as early as chapter 13 from Layla or the storage. Alicia probably isn't going to be doubling pegasus knights even with a low weight personal tome.

I could patch it in if someone wants to have a go with it and see how it fares.

And wow, that sounds bad. The Layla and Jace are something close to understandable, but Andrei's strength just sounds unacceptable. He's definitely not gonna be maxing strength this time around.

Clare doesn't have great magic no, but that's kinda all the more reason why maybe she should be off of anima arguably. Alicia is crushing her in magic, Rayden is edging her out, and Layla is going to have a higher anima ranking. Her only real advantage is that she's on horseback. I don't think anybody is going to be expecting her to be killing with magic, better to let her at least have a less common role in the magic area imo.

Of course, I don't have that support so I have no clue if they talk about anima magic or something there, lol.

I thought about Burst and the Wyverns as well. It certainly cuts into the Ice Cage's suggested niche. And of course, the problem with raising the base damage to make it 1SK pegasus knights with the bonus damage is that you're starting to make it too strong overall early on in Ash Mode. I mean in its suggested form it would be certainly nice up to chapter 13, but afterwards ya it starts to lose its appeal.

I thought about maybe 4 MT + Brave effect alongside anti-Flier bonus, but Brave effects are stupid strong and probably makes the tome too good again unless you make it weigh like a brick. That would have to be like, 4/70/10/12/Fliers + Brave. Doable, but really difficult to balance out well in all stages of Ash Mode. Would be trying to find that point where with average magic Alicia can 1RK Pegasus Knights before they could attack her back, but not dominating everything else she attacked with that tome. I'm not even sure if that balance really exists due to how strong the Brave effect is.

Is it possible to make it only deal bonus damage to Pegasus Knights instead of both Pegasus Knights and Wyvrens? If that's possible, might be able to bump up its damage a tad to say 7 from the original suggestion I had last post. Still less damage than Burst against regular units/Burst is still the go to option against Wyverns, still an important niche early game and still not necessarily horrible mid game at least. Ideally it would be useful enough that you've used it up by about the time you're promoting her.

The "super crazy I'm not sure this is possible" option is make it Pegasus Knights and Cavaliers instead of Pegasus Knights and Wyverns or Cavaliers and Knights, along with the said 7 base damage and lower weight.

Edited by TheNiddo

Another completely nitpicky thing I just noticed when watching a cutscene.

When Ash is draining the dark magic out of Alicia after Bran dies, wouldn't it make more sense for the spell being used to be Nosferatu instead of Judgement? Judgement ignores Res, Nosferatu drains essence/HP out of a target. And because Ash is draining out the dark magic, that probably makes more sense for the cutscene as it shows the dark magic flying out of Alicia and into Ash

Not particularly important, but hey, details.

hey first of all congratulations this is a really great game awesome story i just want to ask is there any way to save ash cause he is my best character oh and sorry if there are any errors in my comment since i am not an english speaker well bye.

I can't get the hack to work on my emulator. I use a Mac and use OpenEmu with the Multipatch application. The rom by itself works just fine but the hack won't. Can anyone link me to a already hacked rom that works? I had to do this with Pokemon Vega and the English translation of Geneology of The Holy War, so this isn't my first run in with this problem.

Another completely nitpicky thing I just noticed when watching a cutscene.

When Ash is draining the dark magic out of Alicia after Bran dies, wouldn't it make more sense for the spell being used to be Nosferatu instead of Judgement? Judgement ignores Res, Nosferatu drains essence/HP out of a target. And because Ash is draining out the dark magic, that probably makes more sense for the cutscene as it shows the dark magic flying out of Alicia and into Ash

Not particularly important, but hey, details.

IIRC using nosferatu in scripted fights kind of breaks the game. The unit starts infinitely gaining health for a few minutes.

And as was said, changing weapon effectiveness isn't hard to do, no.

hey first of all congratulations this is a really great game awesome story i just want to ask is there any way to save ash cause he is my best character oh and sorry if there are any errors in my comment since i am not an english speaker well bye.

Thanks.

And no there isn't. It's the end of the game though, so there's not really anything to do with him anyway, right?

I can't get the hack to work on my emulator. I use a Mac and use OpenEmu with the Multipatch application. The rom by itself works just fine but the hack won't. Can anyone link me to a already hacked rom that works? I had to do this with Pokemon Vega and the English translation of Geneology of The Holy War, so this isn't my first run in with this problem.

Can't link you to a rom, that's not allowed here.

Just got got Val and the gang back, and dang......Kane got some mad skills in a year(and to think I already liked him enough as is)! ;3

That's not even his final form.

But seriously, yeah, that's an (annoying) bug.

And I'm not too familiar with the patching software on Macs, so I'm hoping that someone else can give you an answer on that.

Sorry.

Maybe try another copy of the FE7 ROM?

You have the right programs (Multipatch is your only option as far as I know). Occasionally individual copies of ROMs can be finicky.

EDIT: Also try multiple emulators. Some can be finicky for random reasons. For example, I have several DS games that won't work with OpenEmu but will with No$GBA. No rhyme or reason to it, just how it is.

Edited by TheNiddo

Is the something wrong with multipatch? No matter how many times I try to patch this game, it just doesn't work. Sometimes I need a very specific rom in order for it to work, so if anyone can, can you link me to the rom that undeniably works with this hack? I'm running out of ideas here.

Is the something wrong with multipatch? No matter how many times I try to patch this game, it just doesn't work. Sometimes I need a very specific rom in order for it to work, so if anyone can, can you link me to the rom that undeniably works with this hack? I'm running out of ideas here.

Links to roms aren't allowed. If you Google "Fire Emblem GBA rom" you should be able to find it no problem.

Links to roms aren't allowed. If you Google "Fire Emblem GBA rom" you should be able to find it no problem.

I've done that multiple times, found numerous Fire Emblem GBA roms, yet the patch will just not work with OpenEmu. I have had this problem with Pokemon Vega and the English translation of Genealogy of The Holy War and the way I got around it was finding an already patched rom and just using that. Another time I wanted to try a pokemon hack called Rocket Adventures made from FireRed, and for that I needed a VERY specific rom in order for that to work. The Fire Emblem GBA rom worked for The Last Promise, so it must be a very specific rom in order for it to work. I have used other UPS patches with multipatch and those have worked, so all I'm left with is that I need a VERY specific Fire Emblem GBA rom in order to work. Anything from emuparadise that I have gotten to work with other patches won't work with this, so I'm running very low on options.

I've done that multiple times, found numerous Fire Emblem GBA roms, yet the patch will just not work with OpenEmu. I have had this problem with Pokemon Vega and the English translation of Genealogy of The Holy War and the way I got around it was finding an already patched rom and just using that. Another time I wanted to try a pokemon hack called Rocket Adventures made from FireRed, and for that I needed a VERY specific rom in order for that to work. The Fire Emblem GBA rom worked for The Last Promise, so it must be a very specific rom in order for it to work. I have used other UPS patches with multipatch and those have worked, so all I'm left with is that I need a VERY specific Fire Emblem GBA rom in order to work. Anything from emuparadise that I have gotten to work with other patches won't work with this, so I'm running very low on options.

Sometimes it's not the rom that's the problem, but the patcher. I've had times when NUPS has seriously mucked up the rom, yet the android multi-patcher does things perfectly (if slowly), with the same rom and same patch as NUPS. And other times when the emulator is the problem; gameboid on android works wonderfully with most FE hacks, then decided to glitch out for Fractured Realms to the point you couldn't even finish the prologue. Try the very same patched rom on Myboy, and it worked fine. I've had similar problems with Pokémon hacks where Gameboid can't use the ingame save system, but Myboy can.

Does your patcher have an "Ignore checksum" option or similar? If you use that, the patcher should ignore any minor issues and you'll end up with a playable patched rom. In most cases, you won't even notice any issues, and the most I've ever seen when I've been forced to do this is an occasional sound jump (and then, only in Pokémon hacks).

As for the rom, that "U" FE7 rom from the source you've mentioned has never given me any problems, for this hack or any other. I'm pretty sure that's the one everyone uses, and I don't think that's where the issue lies.

@ above: Mac's don't have other patching options. Its Multipatch or nothing when it comes to GBA games. So if it ends up being due to the patcher he's kinda out of luck as far as this site is concerned. No posting ROMs and all.

I'm assuming you aren't trying to apply multiple patches to the same copy of FE7: Multipatch doesn't allow for that. Its a one and done. Trying to apply a patch on top of a patch will fail with an error every time.

Like I said before, sometimes OpenEmu has problems playing certain ROMs with patches. Every DS game I had problems with, were ones with translation patches. Try a different emulator. Either VBA (if you can find a version that works with Mac, I know a few years ago the newest VBA and the then newest Mac OS wouldn't play nicely together), or No$GBA.

Also check to make sure the GBA emulator within OpenEmu is up to date.

@ above: Mac's don't have other patching options. Its Multipatch or nothing when it comes to GBA games. So if it ends up being due to the patcher he's kinda out of luck as far as this site is concerned. No posting ROMs and all.

I'm assuming you aren't trying to apply multiple patches to the same copy of FE7: Multipatch doesn't allow for that. Its a one and done. Trying to apply a patch on top of a patch will fail with an error every time.

Like I said before, sometimes OpenEmu has problems playing certain ROMs with patches. Every DS game I had problems with, were ones with translation patches. Try a different emulator. Either VBA (if you can find a version that works with Mac, I know a few years ago the newest VBA and the then newest Mac OS wouldn't play nicely together), or No$GBA.

Also check to make sure the GBA emulator within OpenEmu is up to date.

I'm starting to think that it's the wrong rom I'm using. I just did a few more UPS patches to FE 7 and they run just fine (By the way I'm using the one found n Emuparadise). So if anyone who got the hack to work, can you link me to the original rom that you used for it?

I'm starting to think that it's the wrong rom I'm using. I just did a few more UPS patches to FE 7 and they run just fine (By the way I'm using the one found n Emuparadise). So if anyone who got the hack to work, can you link me to the original rom that you used for it?

Again, links to roms are not permitted. I got mine from loveroms.

Something that desperately needs clarification for Alyssa's recruitement : It doesn't work if Alicia visited the Top-Left Village at chapter 11.

And I just got wrecked by that because now in my girl-only HM run I can't recruit Alyssa. :(

Something that desperately needs clarification for Alyssa's recruitement : It doesn't work if Alicia visited the Top-Left Village at chapter 11.

And I just got wrecked by that because now in my girl-only HM run I can't recruit Alyssa. :(

Yes, although to further clarify:

You can't visit villages that Alyssa is in (chapter 11 and chapter 18), is in with any of the Lord characters, Ash,Val,Alicia or Andrei.

To be fair, I assume on a first run, it's unlikely for people to do that in the first place and on a second run, the dialogue in the villages change - or at least they should have, which was the signal that something was up.

Pretty sad that you won't have Alyssa for that run though, she really helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I beat normal mode and felt as though I may share some things about my personal experiences with units

Val:

As the first unit you get in the game, and being built up as a pretty solid unit. Reminded me of Eirika in a lot of ways. (Not sure how with the speed, animation, etc.) But overall, she ended up being not amazingly useful, but not bad at the same time. Personality-wise, she seemed pretty generic for a leader character, even if it was pretty interesting to see how she got built up.

Keiran:

Oh goodie, the most powerful unit on the team. He got blessed in Skill/Def (Maxing out str/skill/speed and 27 def at about lv. 16, so much fun) He was a very useful unit early game due to wall. The magic shroud he returns with, absolutely made him insane. He easily became decent to godly because of immunity to Ballistas, bows, etc. (Also, is the break arc supposed to be effective on wyverns with the shroud?) Personality-wise, he is a jerk. Dissing on Katarina's God, Telling Layla to avoid calling him family, he seemed to be kinda caring to Linda, but even then... eh. I may need to finish all the supports for my final decision.

Katarina:

Used until the end. Beautiful healer, kinda disappointed there were no S rank Light tomes/Staves though. Overall, as the only light-user on my team, she was really useful. Kinda got her level 20 before Val's part ended. Oops. Also enjoyed getting her to level 20 in the end. Personality-wise I've never really had a preference to worshiping types, but the twist when talking to the other sister of the church was nice.

Josie:

Really good replacement for Keiran if need be. Personally though, I used both of them because I like wyverns, yay, birds. Turned out pretty average, if not a little bulky. Personality-Wise: Jeez, need more anger for Legato much? I mean, it's well-founded, so there's that. Had Josie fight him herself, and she won using the S-rank Range Sword. Good game no rematch :D.

Marco:

God-send early game, later on he kinda fell behind due to 16 speed after 2 speedwings. Personality-Wise: An enjoyable character. The no-nonsense softie he is was kinda nice.

Kane:

Reason #1 why training units late sucks. mine also had a -2 average speed pretty much all game. Mostly just became support for Val and Almer. Personality-wise Knightly man is very knightly with a soft spot for a cute girl he met on a battlefield.. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Nella:

Died and I was too lazy to restart. Kieran likes Magic Shroud, a lot. Anyways, she was really quick, kinda weak in the long run though. Was disappointed. Personality-wise. Very motherly, and it makes sense why. as a not-mom myself, I suppose I can't really understand, but I like how she has the intentions of a good mother.

Ash:

Ugh, the balance in his stats bothered me because of lackluster level ups, but he had good magic, and I used a body ring+Speedwing on him, so he didnt end up terrible. Mostly used as a staff mate in later chapters. Killed Shen with him though, due to story-line reasons. Personality-wise: Holy hell he is a mystery. I mean, in the story-line, he was pretty enjoyable to read, even if he is kind of dull. Also kinda disappointed he did not become a hollow, final boss him would've been great ;(.

Clare:

Really didn't make as much of an impact as Katarina did, especially since she got to level 20 around chapter 16 after I used the guiding ring on Katarina, so I left her out of chapters. I can see her use, but Katarina just outclassed her in magic, so there's that. Also uselessly supported gemma, so thats a thing. Personality-Wise: I didn't really pay attention, who is she again?

Alicia:

Maxed Magic on the last chapter, I was so proud. She's actually the best lord, no might about it. Didn't really use Ice Cage due to weight, so I'm sorry ;-;. Having 8 con promoted was nice for those sexy unused flux tomes. Personality-wise: I enjoyed how she doted on Ash throughout the story, in her own detached way. Otherwise she seemed kinda out of place, which you were probably going for.

Skye:

Another amazing unit, especially when he promoted. Tended to be really quick, he grew so quickly after promotion it wasn't funny. Maxed out Str/Skl/Spd, used the 1-2 S-Rank Bow to tear things up.. and the hero bow >.> Personality-Wise: I enjoy his caring nature, even if he is pretty naive.

Jace:

Used him because of speed reasons. Low Strength really ruined him for me. I love killing things in one round with heroes. He had around 19 str at the end. Turns out training units late hurts you, Even if you try to make them usable. Personality-Wise: I've not seen enough of him to take a judgement.

Laraya:

Oh. A swordmaster. Crit bonus: check. Wo Dao Clone I wanted to use Val with: check. She actually was pretty strong, even if I didn't use her a ton (Believe she was around level 12 at the end. Most units were around level 16 for reference.) Personality-wise: kinda funny supports I unlocked in the support chapter. I enjoyed her as a whole in story as well.

Emilia:

Pretty much an eh unit if you have nothing better. Probably worth keeping her alive for Kenrick though, he looked as though he had better usability, even if he isn't as useful as Kieran. Personality-Wise: Did she flirt with Jace? o.o I'm not sure what happened there. otherwise she seemed pretty ok, for as much of the story she was in. Also, very misleading equipment in chapter 9 there. Thanks. I wanted another steel lance instead of a killer >.>.

Overall, you did pretty well and I'm looking forward to the next updates

Edited by BMWisBMW