So game quality is the point? I'd say that Shadow Dragon (despite its flaws) was no less of a quality game than Mother 1. Heck, I'd argue that it was actually far better...but that's for another topic.

As someone who's been part of the Mother fandom for quite a while, I can say that fans weren't THAT approving when it came to the quality of Mother 1. Usually Mother fans weren't too fond of the game's graphics and flawed gameplay. It got to the point where there were several remake projects for that game...though sadly, each one ended up dying off.

Edited by Tessie Spoon

So game quality is the point? I'd say that Shadow Dragon (despite its flaws) was no less of a quality game than Mother 1. Heck, I'd argue that it was actually far better...but that's for another topic.

As someone who's been part of the Mother fandom for quite a while, I can say that fans weren't THAT approving when it came to the quality of Mother 1. Usually Mother fans weren't too fond of the game's graphics and flawed gameplay. It got to the point where there were several remake projects for that game...though sadly, each one ended up dying off.

I'm not a part of the Mother fandom, so how would I know? Either way, Shadow Dragon took out a bunch of features the fanbase was used to, among other questionable decisions *coughthegaidenshack*. At any rate, I seriously doubt that any of the pre-GBA titles would even get localized.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Fair enough about not knowing, but Mother 1 lacked a bunch of features Earthbound and Mother3 had. Mother1 has the least of the series' known charm out of all three games because of that. So the parallels apply there, too.

Edit: fixed wording

Edited by Tessie Spoon

Sales weren't the point so much as game quality was - and last I checked, Shadow Dragon wasn't exactly well received, so I feel that calling it a flop is justified.

People may scoff at FE11 now, but the game sold better and had a higher metacritic score than FE10. You can't just point to the game and say that that was the reason why FE12 wasn't localized. Obviously, it is because both FE11 and FE10 both sucked.

There's not much reason to localize the older FE games. The main difference between FE and Mother is that FE still has life. Part of the reason why people want Mother 1 and Mother 3 to be localized so badly is because there isn't going to be a Mother 4. Because FE actually has a future, the focus should be on making new games, not localizing old ones.

Edited by Zvarri!

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/Fire%20emblem/results

Repeat After Me: Internet message boards are not the only players.

Well, I still doubt that FE1 would do well on the off-chance that it did happen, if only because people who already played Shadow Dragon before likely wouldn't buy it unless they were hardcore FE fans. That said, the fact that they remade it is damaging enough to its chances of localization in the first place.

There's not much reason to localize the older FE games. The main difference between FE and Mother, is that FE still has life. People want Mother 1 and Mother 3 to be localized more because there isn't going to be a Mother 4. Because FE actually has a future, the focus should be on making new games, not localizing old ones.

I agree with this.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I wish, but don't find it likely we'll get localisations. However one point I'd like to make is that the NES games undoubtedly have a lot less text to translate than the likes of the SNES and GBA games. I honestly haven't played either of the NES games to any great extent but even playing the remake and knowing the simpler (though for it's time, still quite complex) story and lack of support conversations makes it clear a lot less effort would go in to translating it. And I think Altercircuit has a point. People would buy the first in the series for the novelty of having the first in the series. Even for some fans who've only played Awakening it might seem like a goof starting point to get into the rest of the series. Now that doesn't mean all fans would buy it and I think it probably would be more effort than its worth, but not by much. If they know there's an interest then I think there's a reasonable chance they'd think about it.

I wish, but don't find it likely we'll get localisations. However one point I'd like to make is that the NES games undoubtedly have a lot less text to translate than the likes of the SNES and GBA games. I honestly haven't played either of the NES games to any great extent but even playing the remake and knowing the simpler (though for it's time, still quite complex) story and lack of support conversations makes it clear a lot less effort would go in to translating it. And I think Altercircuit has a point. People would buy the first in the series for the novelty of having the first in the series. Even for some fans who've only played Awakening it might seem like a goof starting point to get into the rest of the series. Now that doesn't mean all fans would buy it and I think it probably would be more effort than its worth, but not by much. If they know there's an interest then I think there's a reasonable chance they'd think about it.

You have a point, I'm sure, but at the end of the day, Nintendo still has a poor track record regarding localizing Japan-exclusive games on VC (and most of the few that DID get localized weren't text-heavy to begin with). And there's the fact that localizing an old game is a huge gamble in and of itself, since there's no way to know if it'll sell enough to be worth the time and money they had to sink into it.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I think they should at least bring us 6 and 12, since they are both sequels to games we already have. Other than that, I'm fine with not seeing the 1-5 (which I think all of which will eventually be remade anyway.)

Also sadly enough I think the only reason they bothered to bring us Mother 1/Earthbound Beginnings was because they had already had an unused translation for it.

Edited by Star and Moon

Wishful Thinking: The Topic: The Sequel: The Return: The Redo: Brotherhood: Among Thieves: Ground Zeroes: The Show: Awakening

WISHFUL THINKING IS FATE

Sometimes wishful thinking pays off. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to play Four Swords but then out of nowhere Nintendo released as a free download for both 3DS and DSI with 1 player support and an array of extra levels. Once in a blue moon gaming companies can be just that awesome.

Edited by Jotari

Just gonna restate that an FE6 localization is very possible since something similar happened with Pit and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Kid Icarus having a new game after 25 years of obscurity is nothing remotely similar to a possible FE6 localisation. Not at all.

Sometimes wishful thinking pays off. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to play Four Swords but then out of nowhere Nintendo released as a free download for both 3DS and DSI with 1 player support and an array of extra levels. Once in a blue moon gaming companies can be just that awesome.

And just what does this have to do with the possible localization of FE games that are approaching, if not at least, 20 years old already...?

Edited by Levant Colthearts

And just what does this have to do with the possible localization of FE games that are approaching, if not at least, 20 years old already...?

Oh just that sometimes great things happen that seem improbable or foolish to want for.

Oh just that sometimes great things happen that seem improbable or foolish to want for.

Perhaps, but still... I think it'd be one of Intelligent Systems' most questionable business decisions. Also, as to your point about FE1 being a good starting point for fans that got started with Awakening... yeah, I'm gonna have to take back what I said earlier and call that bullshit, plain and simple. We're talking about a drastic leap in tone and gameplay here, and that alone might make it not worth it.

Also, as to your point about FE1 being a good starting point for fans that got started with Awakening... yeah, I'm gonna have to take back what I said earlier and call that bullshit, plain and simple. We're talking about a drastic leap in tone and gameplay here, and that alone might make it not worth it.

That, and we already have Shadow Dragon. Localizing FE1 would be redundant.

I wouldn't say redundant. Needless perhaps but not redundant. I haven't played both games but I'm sure they provide different experiences. Zero Mission and the original Metroid are both available on Virtual Console after all.

Edited by Jotari

FE! is borderline unplayable. Seriously, just try playing it. You'll probably get frustrated and give up like I did. I could see FE6 maybe getting localized and released on VC, wouldn't be the first game Nintendo has localized for a VC release despite the original game having been Japan only. Examples include Sin and Punishment and The Mysterious Murasame Castle, among others. The others, I doubt it. Especially FE1.

The user interface is what makes it so unplayable, in addition to the crappy inventory system. I was honestly amazed at just how much of an improvement Gaiden is over FE1.