Sakura and her use of honorifics.

TKHikaru13

So it's been established that Sakura uses honorifics even with her closest siblings. Heck in the trailer she even refers to Kamui as 'Nii-sama'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually Japanese families drop the honorifics when they're in private.

So it's kind of odd Sakura uses them even around her family. Is this just a quirk of her character or did something happen to make her do this?

Anyone else have other ideas?

Well, they are all royalty so it's definitely not abnormal for Sakura to use more formal language.

I think it's just to illustrate her natural shyness along with with her reverance for her elder siblings.

Well, seeing as she probably never met Kamui before, calling him Nii-sama instead of something more familiar is not that suprising.

As for the rest, she is the youngest of the royal Hoshido siblings, so respecting her already accomplished siblings doesn't seem that weird, add some shyness and voila!

Well, seeing as she probably never met Kamui before, calling him Nii-sama instead of something more familiar is not that suprising.

As for the rest, she is the youngest of the royal Hoshido siblings, so respecting her already accomplished siblings doesn't seem that weird, add some shyness and voila!

This is my thought. While Elise knows Kamui well enough to use familiar titles like "oniichan", Sakura only knows Kamui by his position of "older brother" so she uses a respectful but more emotionally distant "Lord Brother". It's either that or she's just hitting the "imouto" tropes from a different angle. Elise is a type A, openly affectionate little sister. Sakura is a type B, worshiping her older brother but is too shy to openly display affection.

Korean uses a very similar system of honorifics and nowadays it is common for children to drop the honorifics with siblings and even parents depending on the family, but back in the old days honorifics were commonly used for older siblings. I assume Japanese wouldn't differ too much.