Starfox Zero

Jedi

I've been waiting for new stuff on this game since it was announced awhile back, I'm a huge starfox fan and its great to see the gang back in action. Although it is slightly annoying its kind of another reboot how like 64 rebooted SNES.

I'll deal with it though. I've been wanting a new Starfox for quite some time and the transformations of the arwing look pretty cool and star wars like in terms of design.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait can't wait can't can't wait can't wait can't can't wait can't wait can't can't wait can't wait can't can't wait can't wait can't can't wait can't wait can't can't wait can't wait can't!!

I'm really liking the Star Fox 2 designs being brought back again. It was a fun mechanic even if my game constantly crashed during the time it was leaked out.

I'm really curious what those coins are there. Coins in a Starfox game seem strange enough as it is but these ones are very reminiscent of the Pepper coins in SF2. But the Pepper coins didn't seem to actually do anything. Well, sort of. They completely restored health but since they never respawned again, they were clearly meant as collectibles.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm really curious what those coins are there for because they are very reminiscent of the Pepper coins in SF2. But those coins didn't seem to actually do anything.

Well, sort of. They completely restored health but since they never respawned again, they were clearly meant as collectibles.

Maybe they are like the flags in Assault? You have a certain amount to find per stage?

Maybe they are like the flags in Assault? You have a certain amount to find per stage?

hopefully it's not like it was in Assault where even if you collect 2/5, they don't count at all. You have to collect all 5 of them in one runthrough of the stage for it to count.

hopefully it's not like it was in Assault where even if you collect 2/5, they don't count at all. You have to collect all 5 of them in one runthrough of the stage for it to count.

Wow, I forgot they actually worked that way. It's been so long and I never did this task more then once. Well, at least it seems that unlike the flags, the coins are not invisible until you shot at them.

Edited by BrightBow

Agreed 100%, that would be so lame.

I am really looking forward to those transformations. I mean, on a technical level, Starfox 2 is probably the most mindblowing SNES game but the framerate was still low, controls were limited by the D-pad and the graphics lacked sharpness. On an modern console and with Shigeru Miyamoto himself working on the project, the transition between air and ground combat must feel so damn smooth.

Edited by BrightBow

Hell fucking yes! How long has it been since Assault came out? I saw the trailer and I'm pumped for this. Game looks gorgeous and all the vehicles look like they work in interesting ways and look like they all work very fluidly and well.

Hell fucking yes! How long has it been since Assault came out? I saw the trailer and I'm pumped for this. Game looks gorgeous and all the vehicles look like they work in interesting ways and look like they all work very fluidly and well.

Assault came out in 2005, it's been quite some time, although Command came out around 07 I think, it worked quite differently then a typical Starfox game.

Assault came out in 2005, it's been quite some time, although Command came out around 07 I think, it worked quite differently then a typical Starfox game.

Yeah I had command it was more of a strategy game you had to move fighters on the board based on the fuel they had. Intercept missles and get to bosses you also had time limits on the aerial battles to kill the enemy flagships.

what do you mean? you wanted it to continue the adventures/assault story?

I mean I don't really want to see the same story with the same characters again. Some new villains, friends and locations would be nice. It could be a prequel, or sequel, or side story, but I don't like that they're going back to square one again, especially since Star Fox 64 3D is just that.

To me, at least, and this will sound very controversial, it seems like Miyamoto would rather try to perfect on something that is already close to perfect rather than progress and move on, and that seems like Miyamoto's attitude for the past while.

*playing Star Fox 64 back in 1997*
Fox: "All-range mode."
Me: Unnnaagghh!

*watching new trailer today*
Fox: "Switching to all-range mode!"
Me: Unnnaagghh!

I always liked the linear sections a lot more.
I don't care about the story that much, so I don't mind this being a reboot or a rehash or whatever.
Also, they really need to ban that "DO A BARREL ROLL" line. Please.

I just want to see Krystal in the game. The separate from the timeline also bothers me. Gameplay is good btw.

You probably won't.

Also this will be the 3rd time they've done this. SNES got rebooted (getting rid of a whole comics worth of continuity) by 64, and etc.

Star Fox 2 is the best direction to take the series away from rail-shooting. Having a straight rail-shooter won't fly nowadays, and yet running around out of the ship and Command didn't work.

Eh, Assault wasn't bad. Concept-wise at least. The whole game felt quite clunky, even after you figure out that it's one of those games were you have to change the controls before properly playing it. But it was pretty fun.

Command on the other hand... did the worst possible job executing the ideas of Starfox 2. Like, in Starfox 2 you loose if you spend too much time in a skirmish because the game runs in real-time. So while you are fighting one squad, engage a battleship or liberate a planet, other enemies would still continue to move onto Corneria and damage it. In Command, you loose because you run out of freaking fuel... yeah, that's kinda an anticlimax if you run out of time. And because of how the system works, there will be times were you have to enter battle just to crash down in the very first second of the skirmish, which is just daunting. And for added silliness, you can't just return to the Great Fox for a refill. The Great Fox in 2 can actually restore you and can even teleport to unoccupied planets.

Also, Corneria in 2 actually had hitpoints while the Great Fox has not. Command is by far the easier game of the two, but because a tiny screw up can make you loose instantly, usually it feels undeserved and very frustrating. And because of the Fog of War, these screw ups will happen.

The game still wasn't bad but Starfox 2 definitely makes it look bad by comparison.

But the new game is definitely looking a lot better in that regard,

Edited by BrightBow

I think the out-of-ship combat in Starfox Assault could have been better, it didn't really have as an intense feel like driving or flying, probably cause most shooters are built with the foot soldier as the base and the vehicles are an extension, unlike Starfox. I still liked some parts of it though, and Starfox Assault, although having very linear levels, had some damn fun linear levels.