Romance! Intrigue! Honor! And WAR!! Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!!

A minor thing, but you called Lachesis Fury a couple times when she got attacked with Meteor.

Duly noted; I shall fix that!

That point about the Trabant and Reptor/Alvis scene being swapped is really good. Alvis even says the Tharcian mercenaries should be arriving shortly which would perfectly segway into their actual arrival.

Indeed. I'm glad you get something out of the plot critiques I do; always wonder whether y readers think "ah, that's a very interesting/funny thought" or "oh shoot, ANOTHER long string of text in an LP that already has a ton of text and screenshots in it!". Thanks for letting me know :) !

Ooooh, Trabant... wowwwHe's got like, depths...and stuff

Is that sarcasm?

Short, nonspoiler answer; yes. That is sarcasm.

Slightly longer, spoiler answer:

It's half sarcastic. First of all, I had recently got done playing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, and I borrowed that line from one of the conversations in that game. It was funny! And I thought this was a great place to use that line.

Secondly, I DO think he is a genuinely interesting villain, and I wish the game was long enough to include more of him. THAT SAID...he still just got done murdering a man and his wife in cold blood. He just got done fricken LAUGHING about it, too! He was outright MOCKING Cuan for bringing his wife out there.

So there's a certain point where I'm all "ok, fine, I get that you have your reasons and all that...but you're still acting like a complete dirtbag. There's no excuse for taking that much pleasure in the deaths of innocent people, just as there's no excusing the way Alvis goes out of his way to torment Sigurd, nor is there any excusing the way HE murders him in cold blood.

I understand that him bringing Deirdre out in front of Sigurd was his way of testing whether or not the mind control could be broken (the Treasury guide states this), and the Bible emphasizes that mercy is more important than justice...but there still needs to be some element of "dude, you can't just do something like that and expect to get away with it". I don't have to approve of someone's actions just because I know WHY they did it.

Oh wow. Never saw that Lachesis x Noish conversation. I'm kind of surprised. I didn't think Aless got a word in during the first Generation at all. Now I'm kind of wondering why more of a fuss wasn't made out of him.

Hmm...I would guess that the writers didn't feel it necessary to the main plot with Sigurd and Grandbell and all that. Plus...I get the feeling that there was more than a bit of cut content in this game, even disregarding how there were originally going to be 3 generations. That's, honestly, probably a lot of the reason WHY this game throws as many plot dumps as it does at us. It's stuff they were PLANNING on revealing more naturally...but then were forced to cram into 2-3 minute dialogue sections.

Okay I think I'll have to pair Aideen and Claude next time because, aside from a rescue staff, that conversation is bloody great. Thanks again for giving all of these alternate pieces of dialogue. I've played this game a bunch of times but I'm really seeing a lot of new stuff because of this let's play.

My pleasure man! Finding what music went for which conversation took about 3 hours of YouTube surfing and cheat codes to get. Hearing what you said makes it all worth it!

Edited by FionordeQuester

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. I'm glad you get something out of the plot critiques I do; always wonder whether y readers think "ah, that's a very interesting/funny thought" or "oh shoot, ANOTHER long string of text in an LP that already has a ton of text and screenshots in it!". Thanks for letting me know :)

Nah man, the plot critiques and alternate scenes are the best bit (at least for me). I generally speed things up skipping the actual text from the game that's included (since I've probably read it already). It's great to see the story analysed on a near line by line basis. It's kind of giving me a different perspective on a few things like the nobles of Augustria Sigurd fights that weren't all that bad. They'd been sort of regulated to generic enemy not worth examining until I read the LP.

Edited by Jotari

That's that guys. After 1.5 years of doing this...we've finally reached the end of Generation 1. I tried something different for this one, so, let's see what you all think!

Chapter 5: Gen 1 End (Part 2/2) - http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146360

No comment on the end, huh?

I understand that, and this whole part was nice as a one-off.

Now, what is left for the future? And is there anything you could have added to the Big Event?

I'm thinking that the future will involved some miscellaneous stuff that I wasnt able to fit into the end. For example, the Expanded Universe materials I've been linking from time to time actually explain a lot of Alvis's otherwise inexplicable actions at the end. He wasn't doing that stuff JUST because the writers decided they wanted us to hate him in that brief moment. So that's definitely one thing I could add.

Other than that, I'm thinking of a wrap up that involves the rest of the "Welcome home, dear!" conversations between lovers, and also shows some really neat things that go on with a person's death quotes. Death quotes in this game can actually change if you meet certain conditions, just like in FE9. Oh yes, and perhaps some commentary on how Gen 1 went, and what surprised me about it.

And once that's done? Well, I'm thinking I'll TRY to get the first Chapter 6 update up by New Year's. That's a tight deadline, and I won't rush it if I think it'll hurt the final product...but it'd be neat for symbolism!

BTW...I've been meaning to ask you guys. I actually used the Reparation 0.87g patch for that particular cutscene, for...a particular reason that I will get into in a few days. I bring this up, because I'd actually been using 0.87d for the entire LP up till now. I literally just NEVER thought to use the latest version till now, but...here it is.

Fire%20Emblem%204%20-%20(Reparation%200.Fire%20Emblem%204%20-%20(Reparation%200.

Fire%20Emblem%204%20-%20(Reparation%200.Fire%20Emblem%204%20-%20(Reparation%200.

See this here? These are just some of the many terminology changes that come with the updated patch. The main script itself is mostly untouched, aside from one particular moment at the end of the last update, and some text boxes that used to have humorous filler text; so that won't be a problem. And I WILL include the "humorous filler text" even if we switch patches, as I found said text to be extremely amusing...

But what do you guys think? Do you want to switch over to the modern terminology? Or just stick with the outdated names we've been using up to this point? Here's the COMPLETE list of changes, if it helps...

- Changed SoclKnt to Cavalier to better match standard terminology.

- Changed DrgRider to WyvRider, DrgKnt to WyvKnt, DrgMstr to WyvLord to better match standard use of wyvern over dragon for natural dragons.

- Changed Forrest to Ranger because Forrest was just an attempt to put off that it was just Forest and Forest doesn't make any sense for a class name.

- Changed Armour to LncArmr, AxArmour to AxeArmr, BwArmour to BowArmr, and SdArmour to SwdArmr for symmetry amongst the armours and against the mounted classes which don't have special names.

- Changed MThief to MtnThief.

- Changed LongArc to Ballista, IronArc to IronBal, and KillArc to KillBal to better match standard terminology.

- Changed long versions of all those to match.

- Changed anything which was based on those names to match (such as generic Dragon troops to generic Wyvern troops).

- Changed Continue skill to Adept skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Prayer skill to Miracle skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Ambush skill to Vantage skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Meteor/Lunar/Solar Sword skills to Astra/Luna/Sol Sword skills to match standard terminology (leaving Sword on as the skills only work with swords).

- Changed Life skill to Renewal skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Elite skill to Paragon skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed anything which was based on those names to match (such as Prayer (Sword) to Miracle (Sword)).

- Changed Soldier skill type to Class skill type and Citizen skill type to Personal skill type because I could.

- Changed Hero weaponary to Brave weaponary to match standard terminology.

- Changed Volcanon tome to Bolganon tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Meteo tome to Meteor tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Tron tome to Thoron tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Storm tome to Bolting tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Rezire tome to Nosfratu tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Live staff to Heal staff to match standard terminology.

- Changed Relive staff to Mend staff to match standard terminology.

- Changed Libro staff to Physic staff to match standard terminology.

- Changed Reserve staff to Fortify staff to match standard terminology.

- Corrected Valkyre staff to Valkyrie staff.

- Changed long versions of all those to match, using Bolganone and Nosferatu instead of Bolganon and Nosfratu.

- Changed anything which was based on these names to match (such as Vaha's battle cry).

- Changed abbreviated castle name from McKil to Mack to match map/dialogue.

- Changed option name 'anime' to 'anim'.

- Corrected Serlis's name.

- Corrected Scathach's name once I realised the JP were just-crazy-enough to apply their -ach = ハ formula to a name which is spelled that way despite not necessarily sounding that way.

- Changed Aoife's name as I was on a roll after changing the other two. Ideally it will at least annoy Aoife archetype proponents.

- Corrected Juda (unit name) to Judah (used in dialogue).

- Corrected Funf to Fuenf.

- Corrected Zwolf to Zwoelf.

- Replaced Chapter 9 opening placeholder text with actual text.

- Replaced Edda takeover placeholder text with actual text.

- Changed reference to Repeated Movement in Knight Ring description to reference to Canto to match standard terminology.

- Corrected a couple of malingering uses of Etain (to Aideen) in dialogue.

- Corrected a malingering use of Yurius (to Julius) in dialogue.

- Changed Andre vs Brigid battle conversation to remove redundancy and iffy wording.

- Changed caps style of Julius's outclassed death speech.

- Changed caps style of a number of pieces of all-caps text.

- Altered Knight Ring award dialogue to not reference 'repeated movement'. And to not call it a bracelet because that makes no sense.

- Corrected reference to Rest staff in Restore staff award dialogue.

- Corrected some spelling mistakes.

- Altered final speech in chapter 5.

- Altered reference from 'secret text' to 'secret book' in Hawk special village dialogue.

- Changed dialogue regarding a character being executed at once to say that their execution would be arranged at once since they're clearly not executed yet some time later.

- Altered dialogue regarding the Brave Sword being singular since it clearly isn't.

- Altered toolset to run under SUA. May have broken it running under Cygwin/nix/nux.

Alright guys, the Gen 1 wrap-up has begun! Every hour or two, I'm going to post something in an attempt to address ALL the Gen 1 stuff that the game itself never directly addresses. No, don't worry, there's no major spoilers for Gen 2; all we're doing is filling in the blanks for Gen 1. As Onmi said, the game designers never got the chance to include everything they wanted to include in the actual game, so that's why these mini-updates are here.
So let's start this off with a bang, shall we?

WHAT THE HECK WAS BEO TALKING ABOUT IN CHAPTER 5? (A.K.A.: Nanna's true father): http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146338

I'm pretty sure Nana is Fin's biological child. I mean he's raised Leif just as long as he raised Nana if not longer and Leif doesn't refer to Fin as his father or vice versa Fin doesn't call him son. Sure that might be because Leif needs to carry on the family name and all that stuff but if that's the case I'd feel it a bit odd it's never brought up. Or to put it another way, two adopted kids, one of them ignores her biological father and only considers Fin the one that matters while the other constantly compares himself to his biological father and never refers to Fin as a parent. For two kids raised the same way such a different outlook is incongruous enough that I think it warrants a mention. I think the most likely explanation is that the canon of Thracia (which does depeart from Holy War in a few other places) is that Delmud is Beo's son but then Lachesis went to Leinster, got it on with Finn and had his kid some time afterwards (not impossible that Nana is a year or two younger than a lot of the other kids in Gen II). Adultery is optional. Also the Blaggi Sword is meant to be used by units that have holy blood (though apparently Mareeta and Galzus are exempt from that for some reason...not sure why. From a prospect of Gameplay Galzus would have been a good choice to use it to get around the Lopt Sword if you managed to completely screw up taining Leif and co) so it has nothing to do with Beo or Ethlin or anyone else (at least directly).

Also given the subject matter, I'm surprised you didn't comment on the demo reel's implication that Levin was messing around with both Ferry and Sylvia (who I find it hilariously in character to just straight up attack the two for an apparent betrayal).

EDIT: I just remembered that Leif does refer to Fin as his father at the end of Thracia when saying how happy he was in Tahra, along with saying Eveyl was like a mother. However I still feel as if he's using the word in a very different way to how Nana typically called Fin father. Furthermore I'm pretty sure the chapter narration itself refers to Nana as being Finn's daughter which, being from a more omniscient point of view, is less about personal relationships. I just think that if Nana and Leif were both raised by Fin they would both be considered his children by some source somewhere.

Edited by Jotari

I have a full save file, I can send you if you want.

Check my sign video for a full demo.

Oh really? Thanks Hanhnn; I'd love to get your save file! That way I can capture the Map Battles!

FE4 DEATH QUOTES, HOME CASTLE CONVERSATIONS, AND CHAPTER 5 QUOTES I MISSED: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146347

Alright guys, this is the last story post; there will be one more post detailing the AAAA Rank stuff that I didn't include in the last Chapter 5 updates, and then we'll continue the main playthrough tomorrow!

WHY WAS ALVIS TAUNTING SIGURD? (I'd post the link, but it contains many Gen 2 spoilers): http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146348

But oh hey, Twilkitri has that "Early Official Website" page! Remember? The one that listed Beowulf as Nanna's fateher in FE5? Well here you go! Just use Google Translate; it at least translates names accurately.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000605013413/http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/shvc/bfej/data/chara/index.html

Ah, another FE4 LP. I might tune in for Gen 2. Not sure if I'd need to go back and see all of Gen 1, but it is a bit daunting.

Ah, another FE4 LP. I might tune in for Gen 2. Not sure if I'd need to go back and see all of Gen 1, but it is a bit daunting.

I recommend you do. It has some pretty enjoyable commentary and a lot of hidden dialogue you might not have seen.

Well look, you're on G2 now. And Celice is tearing it up already. Also, wow, as someone who's not been playing the Lunatic modes, those are some pretty mad conditions. I can't think of an example in Thracia like the Thief one (and really, I can't think of reinforcements not linked to turns off the top of my head (much as some of those are terrifying), but there are cases of crossing points where the game really says gfy). Also, why are you choosing Johalva out of curiosity?

"Even the Efficiency guys at Serenes Forest like you! "

Pfft. Got a giggle out of me.

Also, why are you choosing Johalva out of curiosity?

Better Strength, better Defense, significantly better Speed, and he gets bows once he promotes. This makes him far better in the Arena than Johan could ever be.