Romance! Intrigue! Honor! And WAR!! Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!!

On November 17, 2017 at 8:03 AM, KnightOfNohr said:

Excuse me, but the "and" in your final sentence is unnecessary. The humble semicolon is used to link together two related sentences (or fragments, perhaps) that are next to each other. Therefore, the use of the word "and" is incorrect in this context.

Right: Oh yes. I just...

Right: Oh yes; I just...

Possibly Right, But Shy Away From It, Just In Case: Oh yes, and I just...

Wrong: Oh yes; and I just...

A small disclaimer: I do not mean to be rude, I simply want to help the people of the internet from sounding ignorant. (Though I am nigh certain that it is not the case) If you are offended by this comment, I would be happy to remove it and refrain from bothering you in this manner in later matters.

Sincerely~

KnightOfNohr

You know what?  There is never anything wrong in seeking to help people.  I love creating something worth reading, and your one grammar tip here will help with many updates to come.  

So don't worry; you didn't do anything wrong :) !

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Any sign of the next update?

To be honest, I'd gone on a hiatus for a while.  However, I'm about to get my Bachelor's degree in Psychology; so with school FINALLY ending for the time being, I should end up being a lot more productive, soon.  So, see you then!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, HughesNet just went down in my area. They're my internet service provider; and apparently, they don't know when they're going back up.  Still, I was only something like a hour and a half away from completing this update, so, I'll get that up as soon as I can.  Thank you very much for your understanding and patience, and God bless you!  Happy New Years!

Edited by FionordeQuester

"He got all his men killed in a battle they were not prepared for in any way. He really IS Cuan's son emot-haw.gif !"

Quote of the day.

Man, Dragon Ball really has a tonne of characters. It's impressive that the comparisons aren't completely contrived at this point.

Edited by Jotari

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

"He got all his men killed in a battle they were not prepared for in any way. He really IS Cuan's son emot-haw.gif !"

Quote of the day.

Man, Dragon Ball really has a tonne of characters. It's impressive that the comparisons aren't completely contrived at this point.

Hehehehe...Well, Dragon Ball Super's been a real help as far as that goes.  Were that not the case, I probably would've had to skimp on doing the Subs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it’s been a while since you updated this LP but I just wanted to let you know how much I’m enjoying it! I’ve been reading it over the last few days and was excited about each update! Out of all the LPs I’ve ever read, I think you’ve done one of the best jobs I’ve seen of merging together technical details with story-telling facility and a keen critique of both the pathos and craziness within this game. Even though I’ve never played this FE game (so far, anyway), you’ve made me deeply appreciate it… and made me wish more FEs would have stories that approach this game’s level of epic tragedy and heroism!

Honestly, you’ve made me really wish I could find a remake of this game (one with a better trading/money system, since that’s the one major thing turning me off from playing the original). Do you think we’ll ever get that? Or is this a game just consigned to the dust-bin of FE history?

Also, this game has made me wish that newer FE games would be more willing to get knee-deep intro tragedy, instead of hand-waving away the reality of death and loss during war. FE Awakening had some good nods to tragedy with its depictions of the shattered/alternate future… but that said, it missed out on a feeling of tragedy due to the actual controllable cast making out just fine by the end. It definitely doesn’t punch the player in the gut as much as watching the people they *actually* controlled get slaughtered mercilessly in an ambush. And let’s not even go into the silliness of FE Fates’ “pocket dimension” nonsense… blech....

Edited by TanTanTantrum

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 1:40 PM, TanTanTantrum said:

I know it’s been a while since you updated this LP but I just wanted to let you know how much I’m enjoying it! I’ve been reading it over the last few days and was excited about each update! Out of all the LPs I’ve ever read, I think you’ve done one of the best jobs I’ve seen of merging together technical details with story-telling facility and a keen critique of both the pathos and craziness within this game. Even though I’ve never played this FE game (so far, anyway), you’ve made me deeply appreciate it… and made me wish more FEs would have stories that approach this game’s level of epic tragedy and heroism!

Hey, no worries!  I'm GOING to update this, believe you me!  I've just gotten involved in some other things, that's all.  But it won't be too much longer ;): !  

Honestly, you’ve made me really wish I could find a remake of this game (one with a better trading/money system, since that’s the one major thing turning me off from playing the original). Do you think we’ll ever get that? Or is this a game just consigned to the dust-bin of FE history?

Honestly?  I'm pretty sure we're getting the remake one day.  Gaiden is the game I thought we might never get localized...and we got that!  Plus, we've already got all the voice actors for Genealogy's characters, and I doubt they'll just let them go to waste.  

So while I can't say for sure what'll happen, I'd be surprised if they remade Gaiden, and not Genealogy

Also, this game has made me wish that newer FE games would be more willing to get knee-deep intro tragedy, instead of hand-waving away the reality of death and loss during war. FE Awakening had some good nods to tragedy with its depictions of the shattered/alternate future… but that said, it missed out on a feeling of tragedy due to the actual controllable cast making out just fine by the end. It definitely doesn’t punch the player in the gut as much as watching the people they *actually* controlled get slaughtered mercilessly in an ambush. And let’s not even go into the silliness of FE Fates’ “pocket dimension” nonsense… blech....

Hehehe...I never even played Fates, though I heard Conquest has got some great gameplay.  As for Awakening, yeah...it definitely had it's strong spots, but it's story ultimately didn't leave as much of an impression on me as this one's.  Thanks for all the praise, btw :): .

Hey, I only praise as I see fit. Keep up the great work!

And yes, I'm hoping and praying upon the gods of IS to remake this series eventually. Trying to find a working emulator version of this game has been impossible... although I admit I didn't try hard due to being intimidated by the crazy money system. I'm too much of a filthy casual for such an intricate system, to be honest!

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by a "working emulator version" of the game.  But, I know where you can find both of the commonly used translation patches, and I know the best emulator to use for SNES games!  So if you ever need any help, feel free to PM me, alright?

In any case, here's the next update!  This LP may drag it's feet, but it NEVER dies :D: !

Chapter 7, Part 3: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150847

7 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by a "working emulator version" of the game.  But, I know where you can find both of the commonly used translation patches, and I know the best emulator to use for SNES games!  So if you ever need any help, feel free to PM me, alright?

In any case, here's the next update!  This LP may drag it's feet, but it NEVER dies :D: !

Chapter 7, Part 3: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150847

You know, if Naga implemented dismounting purely for fan services, a more subdued 90s fanservice, I can only imagine what kind of things he'd try and pull to satisfy modern fan service obsessions were he still with the company!

I don't particularly have any problems with Chapter 7, but I think it's the prime example detractors of the large maps have in mind when complaining. Most of the time the game keeps things pretty active despite the large maps. There's always and enemy group within distance or a set of villages forcing you to move, but during this part there's a definite drout of things to do as you move most of your army down the coast. Or to put it another way, the large maps aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be eeexcept in this part of this chapter (yes, even Chapter 1 with its end game forest keeps things moving throughout). I guess it was intended that you rush to save Leif, while at the same time Leif's army has to actually be able to hold their own in the fifty+ amount of turns it takes the average player to get there. I guess ideally, Bloom should start a more serious attack towards the end of the chapter, but then you also risk losing Leif and being forced to restart the entire chapter to do over (which is much worse a thing in this game than any other in the series).

For why Bloom attacked the rebels, I assume he wanted to try and hold them off using the strip of land east of Melgen as a choke point. Obviously he doesn't want to deal with Seliph while Leif still stands, but they kind of just killed his son and are heading towards him next. He doesn't have much other choice if he wants to hold Ulster.

Awesome to see an update of this LP. Thanks for your hard work!

Oy, the stuff Leen has to go through is rather harrowing, even if they're only lightly alluding to the... particulars. Geeze, though, Intelligent Systems was not afraid to get into the much with this game, were they? First it was incest babies who turn into the anti-Christ and now a 14 (?) year old girl being molested by an evil grown-ass man... I can imagine how these plot elements would get cleaned up if this game ever did get remade!

(Seriously though... how they're going to keep the incest thing alone makes me scratch my head. It's so integral to the part... yet so gross. Anyone got a hypothetical work-around).

I guess ideally, Bloom should start a more serious attack towards the end of the chapter, but then you also risk losing Leif and being forced to restart the entire chapter to do over (which is much worse a thing in this game than any other in the series).

Interesting... is it possible to actually play this chapter (or really, any other chapter in this game) so that at a certain point, the chapter becomes unbeatable from the last in-chapter save and you MUST reset the whole chapter? If so, that's a very unforgiving system... but then, this is a very unforgiving game in many ways!

Then again, I suppose that suits the story-line of this game, which revolves so much around the impact of poorly-thought out decisions, which range from trying to save one's friends by accidentally conquering much of the world to trying to woo a woman who has an eerie resemblance to your long-lost mother. There's no coming back from certain mistakes, apparently.

Edited by TanTanTantrum

12 minutes ago, TanTanTantrum said:

Awesome to see an update of this LP. Thanks for your hard work!

Interesting... is it possible to actually play this chapter (or really, any other chapter in this game) so that at a certain point, the chapter becomes unbeatable from the last in-chapter save and you MUST reset the whole chapter? If so, that's a very unforgiving system... but then, this is a very unforgiving game in many ways!

Then again, I suppose that suits the story-line of this game, which revolves so much around the impact of poorly-thought out decisions, which range from trying to save one's friends by accidentally conquering much of the world to trying to woo a woman who has an eerie resemblance to your long-lost mother. There's no coming back from certain mistakes, apparently.

No, it's never possible to screw up that badly, though I was suggesting maybe it should be. Although I actually more meant just losing Leif, Finn and Nanna as screwing up. As regards to ever failing, the only requirement for winning is Seliph or Sigurd living and siezing the final castle. I suppose you could make a save where one of them is surrounded by enemies and will definitely die, or if an enemy is in range of your home castle and there's nothing you do to stop them, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim (and the player would kind of deserve it).

No, it's never possible to screw up that badly, though I was suggesting maybe it should be. Although I actually more meant just losing Leif, Finn and Nanna as screwing up. As regards to ever failing, the only requirement for winning is Seliph or Sigurd living and siezing the final castle. I suppose you could make a save where one of them is surrounded by enemies and will definitely die, or if an enemy is in range of your home castle and there's nothing you do to stop them, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim (and the player would kind of deserve it).

Oooh, thanks for clarifying. It's nice to see that the game isn't as unforgiving as it could be... although some sadistic part of me wants to see what this game would be like on Lunatic+ difficulty. Then again, I suppose trying to Max-Rank this game is a sort of self-imposed Lunatic+ difficulty mode, isn't it? After all, it's clear that a player needs to know this game inside-out to be able to achieve that goal! (And it's entertaining as hell to see someone do it, of course!)

Also, I meant to ask... does this chapter make the Thracia spin-off non-canon? After all, in this chapter, Leif is supposed to have had his army slaughtered... but in Thracia's epilogue, most of the survivors had happy endings. Are we supposed to believe his army really died... or that they're just hiding out somewhere... or what?

Edited by TanTanTantrum

Just now, TanTanTantrum said:

Oooh, thanks for clarifying. It's nice to see that the game isn't as unforgiving as it could be... although some sadistic part of me wants to see what this game would be like on Lunatic+ difficulty. Then again, I suppose trying to Max-Rank this game is a sort of self-imposed Lunatic+ difficulty mode, isn't it? After all, it's clear that a player needs to know this game inside-out to be able to achieve that goal! (And it's entertaining as hell to see someone do it, of course!)

Indeed.  I think I've said it before, but, the difficulty of an AAAA Ranked run is part of the whole reason why I made the LP that way.  Otherwise, 90% of it would've just been...

"Sigurd/Celice solos this chapter...again.  And guys like Levin occasionally chip in once in a blue moon."

Also, I meant to ask... does this chapter make the Thracia spin-off non-canon? After all, in this chapter, Leif is supposed to have had his army slaughtered... but in Thracia's epilogue, most of the survivors had happy endings. Are we supposed to believe his army really died... or that they're just hiding out somewhere... or what?

I believe it would be the other way around?  Thracia would make this part of FE4 non-canon, instead.  Kinda like how the new Star Trek movies retroactively retconned every movie ever made up until that point :P .

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

For why Bloom attacked the rebels, I assume he wanted to try and hold them off using the strip of land east of Melgen as a choke point. Obviously he doesn't want to deal with Seliph while Leif still stands, but they kind of just killed his son and are heading towards him next. He doesn't have much other choice if he wants to hold Ulster.

Oh yeah...Because technically, I don't really HAVE to rescue Leen, do I?  

That's one thing I tend to always forget.  I COULD just gun straight for Bloom; meaning he'd HAVE to deploy the Magus Sisters to hold off Celice.  Thanks for pointing that out.

10 hours ago, TanTanTantrum said:

Genealogy assumes you're very bad at Thracia and playing an Ironman run (although that still wouldn't explain why Galzus never shows up). The best assumption is that they're there and we just never see or hear from them. I mean it's not like Leif is realistically defending a castle with just three people. The narrative of Thracia actually supports the narrative of Genealogy better than the gameplay at this point. As we were discussing above, there's no real rush to save Leif, to the extent that you'll probably start advancing on Bloom with Leif by the end of the chapter and unite the two armies at Ulster, while in Thracia, despite having his bigger, unslauthered army, Leif is very much holes up in Leinster and has to be rescued by Seliph. They do run into some strange continuity issues in the next chapter where certain characters who appear in Genealogy don't appear in Thracia for no adequately explained reason.

10 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

Indeed.  I think I've said it before, but, the difficulty of an AAAA Ranked run is part of the whole reason why I made the LP that way.  Otherwise, 90% of it would've just been...

"Sigurd/Celice solos this chapter...again.  And guys like Levin occasionally chip in once in a blue moon."

I believe it would be the other way around?  Thracia would make this part of FE4 non-canon, instead.  Kinda like how the new Star Trek movies retroactively retconned every movie ever made up until that point :P .

Oh yeah...Because technically, I don't really HAVE to rescue Leen, do I?  

That's one thing I tend to always forget.  I COULD just gun straight for Bloom; meaning he'd HAVE to deploy the Magus Sisters to hold off Celice.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Way I play it, Seliph and Aless save Leen by themselves while the rest of the army engages Bloom. Got to maximize those split objectives.

Edited by Jotari

In my opinion?  Yes, you can.  There's something of a learning curve due to how different this Fire Emblem is from all the others.  But once you've got that, there are all kinds of cheap tricks you can do to trivialize the game's challenge; and there are plenty of crutch units good enough to carry you even into the endgame.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 6:26 AM, Jotari said:

@FionordeQuester

Yo, it's been over a year. Is this dead?

Not dead.  "Dormant".  I actually went and recorded all the footage for what I intend to do for Chapters 8-Endgame on my channel.  This was done just 2-3 months ago, that way, nothing will get in my way when I have the energy to finish it.

For now, though, the drive isn't there.  I'll revive this topic when it finally is.