We have the answer to "is marriage in this game?"

Tackman

The moment I read about the possibility of children in Fire Emblem Fates:

[spoiler=Why IS Why?!]tumblr_n55c9y8aOd1t1t3koo1_500.gif

They shouldn't have done it imho. Not only do I hate kids but I'll probably gonna hate the way they're implemented in this game.

Edited by ReaperGuardian

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna be flamed to death and probably treated as a "stupid Awakening fag", but...

WHY NOT.

I mean, human beings and pretty much every living thing on this planet DO have sexual relationships and give birth to kids. It kinda happens. So why not.

It's not so much children as it is how they are implemented, mainly time travel. It made sense in Awakening's context, but to repeat it would be imo a mistake. Time travel had its place, if the developers want to keep this mechanic which I do love they need to find a different reason.

Children good

Repeating Time travel bad

FE4 didn't use Time Travel and didn't have generic Supports between many fathers and possible child.

It didn't have generics because certain characters could only marry other certain characters in the first generation meaning unique but in the end kind of limiting.

They shouldn't have done it imho. Not only do I hate kids but I'll probably gonna hate the way they're implemented in this game.

This is the perfect picture for what was my reaction

It didn't have generics because certain characters could only marry other certain characters in the first generation meaning unique but in the end kind of limiting.

Hm? No. Anyone could marry anyone in gen 1. Aside from Sigurd/Deridre and Quan/Ethlyn since they're story marriages.

Like others, very disappointed at time-travelling kids seemingly becoming a series staple. Oh well, if it must return at least there is room for improvement. Have fewer pairing options + better resulting parent-child support convos. Don't make literally every single S support heterosexual. etc.

We're talking about a game where you can recruit Marth and alternate versions of your own characters from other peoples' save files. There was never any chance of this being a game where you'd get all your characters through conventional, non-timewarpy means.

Well sure I guess everything would be fine and dandy if they were optional missions that were limited to purely fanservice DLC, preferably only accessible after the game has been completed so none of its influence can leak into the main story. But if this leak is to be believed, it doesn't seem like it can be construed as such :/

Well, to be fair, close to nothing is seen in this leak. I mean, it sounded just as if the children actually pop out out of nowhere.

I can only hope for my Outrealm-like explanation to be true. I really wouldn't like the "time travel easy explanation" being used twice in a row.

But, you know, I have faith in IS. I don't think they'd be lazy enough to use the exact same twist a second time.

Please let me enlighten you on the fact that no matter how old you are, you WERE a kid at some point. Also, they're fully independant units. So, I can't get your point.

And, hating on the implementation... Yeah, please hate on something that you don't even know how it will turn out.

We're talking about a game where you can recruit Marth and alternate versions of your own characters from other peoples' save files. There was never any chance of this being a game where you'd get all your characters through conventional, non-timewarpy means.

Those guys are strangers (to the characters of Fates) though, and the plot doesn't have to come up with some contrived explanation for why they exist. They can just be treated as mercenaries who decide to work for Kamui for whatever reason.

Luna/Lazward/Odin might get some dialogue with them that hints at them looking familiar, but that's about it.

Those guys are strangers (to the characters of Fates) though, and the plot doesn't have to come up with some contrived explanation for why they exist. They can just be treated as mercenaries who decide to work for Kamui for whatever reason.

Luna/Lazward/Odin might get some dialogue with them that hints at them looking familiar, but that's about it.

We know there will be some dialogue associated with this, but otherwise we don't know how this will be handled.

Just wanted to say, you and Thane just made my day, thank you for making me laugh !

Plus, if you don't mind, I'll take this picture, it might be handy. :p

Edited by B.Leu

I JUST SCREAMED AND FREAKED OUT SO FUCKING LOUD JUST NOW.

THIS COULDN'T MAKE ME HAPPIER.

I CAN'T RIGHT NOW

I JUST KEEP SMILING

Edit: Wait, there's time traveling children in this too? I was just ecstatic I could marry my waifu Felicia. . .

Edited by squkyshoes

Just wanted to say, you and Thane just made my day, thank you for making me laugh !

Plus, if you don't mind, I'll take this picture, it might be handy. :p

Ey, glad to be of service but what did I do?

Not really. Gen 1 allowed for anyone to marry anyone, barring Sigurd/Deirdre and Quan/Ethlyn.

And no one gave a shit.

To be honest, I don't see any problem with S- Supports.

But the children, I think that's quite enough.

The E3 trailer let us expect a FE4ish story with character deaths, not a plot with time travel.

(sorry if I appear salty)

Wait, are children back in the game as playable characters like in FE13? You guys sure they aren't an epilogue bonus like Roy and Lilina in FE7?

I was pretty sure that marriage wouldn't return because a lot of the central characters are tied by their blood but I guess I was wrong… *sigh*

Furthermore I really hope that's just the laziness of the developers that prevents them from aging the sprites despite an ellipse and it's not some stupid reason like time travel.

Welp, IS could care less about all its pre awakening fans now. Seriously, children coming back, AGAIN? I like many veterans of the series hated the whole outrealm portal nonsense. Not only does it make no sense that a portal to alternative universes is something that exists in a Victorian era game where swords are the common weapons but it also conveniently allows chrom's group to fight einherjars. It had such little thought put into it and was a mistake.

Not really. Gen 1 allowed for anyone to marry anyone, barring Sigurd/Deirdre and Quan/Ethlyn.

And no one gave a shit.

Really ? No one was annoyed ? I'm not the majority of course, but I was somewhat annoyed by Sigurd/Deidre... Not that I actually disliked it.

...Sigurd/Ayra for OP Celice. :p

I'm not the only one who though about that, no ?

Edited by B.Leu

So ah..... am I the only one who doesn't give a flying fuck about how they're going to be implemented, story-wise? The only thing I hope is that they're not going to be an extra chore, in terms of gameplay. With the exception of Lucina, I only ever used about a 4th of 2nd gen's entire cast, past support convos.

Apart from that, have at it, folks.

Edited by Lord HK

I'd almost prefer characters to get married without any on-screen conversation about it, like in FE4, than rehash the disaster in Awakening.

The only good thing that came of this for me is that other people will enjoy the game. I personally hate this as, unlike Awakening, this will and NOTHING to the narrative. Part of the narrative in Awakening is about time travelling to stop the destruction of the world by Grima. You could feasibly tie in marriage to what the game is centered around. But this makes no sense whatsoever as there is no point for there to be time travel or some half baked Outrealm nonsense. It honestly just seems arbitrary to put the mechanic in the game if only to pander to the fans of Awakening romance. Unless it is a bonus thing, it really contributes nothing to the whole "Your choice of allegiance will change history" thing.