Fates Spoilers

VincentASM

I'm assuming most people know, but Fire Emblem Fates (aka Fire Emblem if in Japan) is coming out on 25th June in Japan, which is exactly next week.

This is, of course, a very exciting time for Fire Emblem fans and I'm sure a lot of people here are eager to discuss the games in depth following launch.

However, I just want to remind you all that not everyone wants to know everything about the game. Especially when there's a large gap between the Japanese and Western release.

Basically, please be wary of posting spoilers when discussing the game or creating new topics.

Here's the rule about spoilers from the Code of Conduct:

Unless the topic explicitly specifies it will contain spoilers, mark any and all spoilers using spoiler tags. Spoiler tags are located in the "Insert Special Item" menu. This applies to all forms of media.

If it wasn't clear, when a topic naturally contains a lot of spoilers, you should include the word "spoilers" clearly in the topic title. After that, you don't have to use spoiler tags in the topic, although you may wish to do so for very sensitive spoilers.

By the way, if the topic title itself contains spoilers, please try your best to make the topic title as vague as possible. I know it's tempting to post a topic as fast as possible, but this isn't a race, so take your time.

A good "cheat" is to include the word "speculation". That way, it doesn't sound like you're confirming anything in the title.

When a topic doesn't contain "spoilers" in the title, if you are posting a spoiler, be sure to contain it within spoiler tags.

[spoiler="Description of the spoiler"]Contents of the spoiler[/spoiler]

Like this:

[spoiler=Description of the spoiler]Contents of the spoiler

Furthermore, spoilers aren't necessarily limited to text as the last sentence states. If you post an image that's a spoiler, please do not use IMG tags and link to it instead. Or place it inside spoiler tags.

This holds for avatars and signatures too. Although you can have spoiler tags in signatures, I don't really recommend it. As for avatars, I would avoid having any spoiler-ry images at all (even if the context isn't clue).

What counts as a spoiler varies from person to person. I guess a good rule to follow is: if you're unsure if it's a spoiler or not, consider it a spoiler to be on the safe side.

(Or think of it like a movie you're about to watch and whether this information would spoil your experience of the movie or not.)

Or use this rule:

If it has not been discussed by Nintendo on their official site or Youtube or any of the Japanese gaming publications BEFORE 20th June, it is a spoiler.

This might seem like a strange cut-off, but it's meant to cover the latest issues of Dengeki and Nintendo Dream, which release on the 20th and contain some post-launch information.

By the way, avoiding spoilers works both ways. If you're a user who wishes to avoid spoilers, obviously try to steer clear from topics in the Fire Emblem Fates board that may include spoilers.

For example, a topic about the game's plot is undoubtedly going to enter spoiler territory eventually.

Or you can go one step further. If you PM me, I can move you to a fancy user-group where the Fire Emblem Fates subforum is hidden from view.

(Note that it'll be a short while before I make any changes to your usergroup, because I'm really busy right now ^^)

Thanks for reading!

(Naturally, any questions or concerns can be posted here.)

Edited by VincentASM

I'd also like to add not to spill over enthusiasm for FE14 into other boards, such as general FE, FFTF, etc. Sometimes people post meme images there unexpectedly like when a certain female person died in FE13, lots of memes about her jumping started appearing there. It's not really nice to do that.

I'd also like to add not to spill over enthusiasm for FE14 into other boards, such as general FE, FFTF, etc. Sometimes people post meme images there unexpectedly like when a certain female person died in FE13, lots of memes about her jumping started appearing there. It's not really nice to do that.

Well, I mean, dark humor exists for a reason, I don't think THAT's really a problem.

That said, spoiler tabbing jokes involving character related spoilers would be nice.

[spoiler=That said though, have some dark humor because I'm bored. Awakening Spoilers, tho.]Who's Emmeryn's favorite Fire Emblem character?

Cliff. :>

*Gets banned*

Edited by Nexas

Well, I mean, dark humor exists for a reason, I don't think THAT's really a problem.

That said, spoiler tabbing jokes involving character related spoilers would be nice.

[spoiler=That said though, have some dark humor because I'm bored. Awakening Spoilers, tho.]Who's Emmeryn's favorite Fire Emblem character?

Cliff. :>

*Gets banned*

The issue isn't that it's dark humour, the issue is that spoiled what happened to anybody who hadn't played the game yet

It pretty much goes for any game really ;c When I want to avoid spoilers for something it doesn't work because people talk about spoilers so freely even in fftf. I agree people need to help make the new usergroup actually effective by keeping the spoiling discussion in the related subforum

ALTHOUGH of course then there are the people who post spoilers in fftf, but tag them as spoilers and describe what game/anime/show/etc they are spoiling. That's definitely acceptable, as long as proper warning is given

Edited by Freohr Datia

Personally i'm not as hyped as i am for this one as i was for awakening and for Radiant Dawn, both turned out to be good but greats, so even when talking about spoilers i won't be super said if something is spoiled but we should still b eon the look out

By the way, if the topic title itself contains spoilers, please try your best to make the topic title as vague as possible. I know it's tempting to post a topic as fast as possible, but this isn't a race, so take your time.

To add to this, keep in mind that even topics posted in the If/Fates subforum can and will show up in the "similarly tagged" box at the bottom of topic pages, especially if it's a common tag like "shipping".

Depends.

"Blame Takumi because his hair is more fabulous that yours!" - fine, since it says nothing about the game.

"Blame Takumi because (gameplay stuff)" - off-limits.

However, I wouldn't encourage spreading random streaming memes, on principle. . .but that's 'cause clipsey doesn't care for most of 'em. If anyone asks where it came from, something like, "Fates streaming meme" should suffice. Any more specifics should be addressed via PM.

(if the other mods want to weigh in, that would be wonderful)

Will there be a point after the game's release where I can have a

2nd gen character

as my icon? Or are those off limits?

That's like, not a spoiler though, isn't it? I mean, that was something that was revealed before the game's release, and I would feel like using one of those as your icon wouldn't be off limits. Of course, I don't speak for everyone, that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Edited by Nexas

That's like, not a spoiler though, isn't it? I mean, that was something that was revealed before the game's release, and I would feel like using one of those as your icon wouldn't be off limits. Of course, I don't speak for everyone, that's my 2 cents on the subject.

I used to have one as my icon, but eclipse made me change it...

If the specific character was revealed before the game's release, it's not a spoiler. Otherwise, it is a spoiler.

Ehhhh....

I get the feeling that's a little bit too strict, you know? I mean, let's say for a second I use Draj as an avatar. She's not major to the game, she's just kind of a side character, and she wasn't revealed before the game's release. If I were to use an Avatar of Draj, people wouldn't really be suspicious unless my title spoiled what the character's all about. I'm simply setting my avatar to a character I like in FE14 so far. Using a character portrait without really saying anything else as an avatar I think doesn't really qualify as a spoiler.

Some people want to know as little as possible. They want to be surprised and see all the new things the game has to offer. While you may think little of it, having an avatar of a character that wasn't publicly shown ruins some of the surprise.

I happen to be one of these people, and I've had to be extremely cautious around the forums for the past few days because people don't think enough about what others might consider spoilers. I don't want to see anything I didn't see before the game was leaked, even if it's just a portrait of a side character.

I'm also a global mod, so I'm in a tight space where I want to see as little as possible but have a responsibility to look out for things as well. I'd appreciate if people didn't make this any harder than it's already been.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I'd really rather people just limited If/Fates Avatars to Kamui, Aqua and the royal siblings. Characters that may have been shown once or twice in some obscure JP-only pre-launch update should be in the same place as everyone else.

Will there be a point after the game's release where I can have a

2nd gen character

as my icon? Or are those off limits?

The only reason those shouldn't count as spoilers is because likely everybody on the site is spoiled to their existence already thanks to titles of topics tagged with things that make them appear outside the If section, which is a pretty poor reason imo.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I'm also a global mod, so I'm in a tight space where I want to see as little as possible but have a responsibility to look out for things as well. I'd appreciate if people didn't make this any harder than it's already been.

It wasn't my intent to make your job harder, I was simply giving my 2 cents on the issue, and that I felt you were being too strict is all.

If you disagree, that's fine, but in my opinion, you shouldn't refer to me giving an opinion on something as making your job harder, just saying.

It wasn't my intent to make your job harder, I was simply giving my 2 cents on the issue, and that I felt you were being too strict is all.

If you disagree, that's fine, but in my opinion, you shouldn't refer to me giving an opinion on something as making your job harder, just saying.

I think when she said this:

I'd appreciate if people didn't make this any harder than it's already been.

she didn't mean you were making her job harder by disagreeing with her, she was saying she'd appreciate it if it wasn't made harder to avoid spoilers by using spoiling content in avs/sigs.

So, there's really no problem :P.

she didn't mean you were making her job harder by disagreeing with her, she was saying she'd appreciate it if it wasn't made harder to avoid spoilers by using spoiling content in avs/sigs.

So, there's really no problem :P.

Alrighty, thanks for clarifying. Sorry about that, Red Fox.

Do you mean in-game?

If so, I think it's just Kamui/Corrin.

nooooo they mean the forum avatar~ otherwise called profile picture/photo if that's less confusing

Edited by Freohr Datia