The Issue of Gaming Entitlement

Sentacotus

This is an issue I feel needs to be addressed whether you game on a PC, Wii, 3DS, Vita, Playstation, or Xbox. Is it me or do gamers now in days have this false sense of entitlement? Meaning if something is announced that they don't like or disagree with its immediately to the keyboard or to the youtube channel to state how much they feel betrayed and hate company X and how said company should be ashamed. Don't get me wrong people are within their right to complain and bitch about things they don't like. No one's questioning that. The part that gets me is that the way people do it makes us all look like a bunch of jackasses. If you really and truly disagree with how a company is doing something then don't buy their stuff. Like it or not that is how the world works and that is ultimately what companies listen to and make their management and investment decisions off of. They don't give two shits about what someone on youtube has to say about their company or acting like they are owed the exact kind of game they want to their specifications. It doesn't matter where you go you see it everywhere now. Its like we have grown so accoustemed to having big-budget games and phenomenal games being produced year after year out the wazoo that we've just come to expect that as the norm and that by god we are owed that and nothing less. These things take time and a shitload of money to produce and unless you are doing the CoD 2016 or Madden 16 every year it takes some serious investment to reintroduce new mechanics and make decisions on what to implement and try to implement it well. We want to have or cake and eat it too. Should you want your moneys' worth? Absoulutely. Does that give you a by to make an ass out of yourself or the gaming community. I personally do not think so. And you know what, if businesses want to continue to make poor marketing decisions and produce bad games the market will sort it out. It did with Atari and Sega. As much as it makes things suck to see a game company go under I do believe that it does happen for a reason and that ultimately things sort themselves out in the end.

Oh and the thing that does downright piss me off to no end is when people want to sit there comment or make videos and outright call people sub-human cancers on society or social rejects for either liking a certain company or product or not agreeing with their train of thought. Sorry that shit doesn't fly with me under any circumstance. Especially with damn video games because thats all they are. Games. Not like the fate of the free world depends on it.

I hope I wasn't too vulgar but this has been something hinging on my mind quite a bit (especially the second tidbit) and I want to see what you all think about it.

Edited by LordTaco42

As somebody who tries his best to give an unbiased opinion on every game he sees, I can definitely agree with you here.

Let's look at Nintendo for a second here. All year, they have had fantastic Nintendo Directs with incredibly good amounts of content in them. However, the second Nintendo has a mildly disappointing E3 Digital Event, a majority of Nintendo fans are suddenly like "NINTENDO IS DEAD, GET THE TAPS BUGLE SONG."

Put it simply, people are overreacting for absolutely zero reason.

It sounds like you've witnessed some serious toxicity. Care to give an example?

Right now I'm thinking of the reaction to the Metroid Prime: Federation Force trailer. I believe the backlash is mostly justified, but it'll take a few minutes to compose my own opinion.

It sounds like you've witnessed some serious toxicity. Care to give an example?

Right now I'm thinking of the reaction to the Metroid Prime: Federation Force trailer. I believe the backlash is mostly justified, but it'll take a few minutes to compose my own opinion.

Take this guy for instance. https://www.youtube.com/user/BLACKB0ND

Honestly makes alot of good points I frankly agree with regarding decisions Nintendo has made and why their third party support is always lacking. But god forbid you disagree with him or like Nintendo in any capacity. That makes you a corprate slave, a social reject, and lower than dirt.

This guy below read a comment off about Metroid Prime: Federation Force made on his site. I personally hate the idea of the game but this is just jackassery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXZ2TCn71o&spfreload=10

Oh and the whole Metroid Petition is a little overboard in my opinion and I don't think it will really make a difference one way or the other. We have unemployment issues and cyberattacks and thats what we focus on?

Here's something on Fallout 4

Thats just to name a few. You can find stuff anywhere you go in any gaming community. You can even take the new Fire Emblem coming out. With every new piece of info it seems like people feel like they have been betrayed by Intelligent Systems and Fire Emblem is forever finished.

Granted I know this is the Internet and that its bound to happen but its discouraging to see nonetheless.

Edited by LordTaco42

Okay, I can see why Metroid fans would be disappointed that this Metroid Prime game isn't a proper Metroid with Samus and all, but a petition to cancel it and stuff? Yeah, that's going over the line. You hit the nail on the head with this thread, Taco. I applaud thee.

Edited by Anacybele

Oh yeah don't get me wrong the new Metroid game is a dumb idea and I think people are well within their right to not like it or even voice their grievences as they are with any other game. Its the way they do it that gets me. Thats also why you can vote with your wallet and not buy the game and do something the company will actually listen to if you feel so strongly about it. What it doesn't do is give people the by to attack people who do like it worse than dirt or act like they are threatening their livliehood or to react in some of the ways you see. If anything reactions like this give gaming communities even less credibility because corporations will just point and laugh at those same people and say "hey look another pissed off gamer on the Internet". Bad press is one thing sure but its not what ultimately causes businesses to change.

A good example right now would be Sony. Financially has their back up against the wall with gaming being their only profitable branch. So what do they do they release kick ass games, trim the fat, and market the PS4 well.

Edited by LordTaco42

Yeah I know what you mean, the complaints get out of hand a lot of the time, look at all the whining about Bayonetta 2 being Wii u exclusive. Nintendo saved the series and instead of being happy about getting a sequel they complain about it not being on PS4 or XBone. I admit to having some grips with Nintendo about Amiibos, but I know that the demand is so high and scalpers so bad that they can't make enough to meet the demand.

Yeah I know what you mean, the complaints get out of hand a lot of the time, look at all the whining about Bayonetta 2 being Wii u exclusive. Nintendo saved the series and instead of being happy about getting a sequel they complain about it not being on PS4 or XBone. I admit to having some grips with Nintendo about Amiibos, but I know that the demand is so high and scalpers so bad that they can't make enough to meet the demand.

I can agree with the part about Amiibo as that subject is my current grievance with Nintendo -- to me, it seems like a lousy business decision on their part to overproduce the Mario and Link amiibo figures when they should diversify and make more money by making more amiibo of other figures -- they could make much more money by being able to meet the demand for character figures of less popular franchises (when compared to Mario, Pokemon or Legend of Zelda). They could have made the extra money that is now being put into many a scalper's pockets. This is NOT an attack, but legitimate criticism.

This guy below read a comment off about Metroid Prime: Federation Force made on his site. I personally hate the idea of the game but this is just jackassery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXZ2TCn71o&spfreload=10

That was hilarious. I think it might have just been a parody of similar comments though.

It's okay to voice your opinion and say something like "I don't like this," but it's not alright to act like a whiny bitchy child who is screaming at his mom for not buying his favourite toy. One of the disadvantages of the anonymity of the Internet, you can act immature in any matter and get away with it.

Edited by Knight

Someone saw the news and reactions regarding FE14 today :smug:

Anyways, you're not wrong about this, people seem to have this entitlement concerning what companies owe them and it is rather telling about how pathetic so many people are in the western world. Granted, as consumers we have the right to voice our opinions, and we really should when something is clearly going wrong in some way (this may or may not apply to tacked on time travel and creepy fanservice). However, most of the time I'm looking at the comments and I'm just shaking my head at the priorities people seem to make in the gaming community.

The gamer entitlement is so strong and obnoxious right now. I bet everyone's going to be mad at the FF7 remake when it comes out because it's either too similar and wasn't innovative enough, or too different and supposedly shatters everyone's rose-tinted glasses for the game.

When it comes to Nintendo I don't think they realize that Nintendo's still sitting on a huge lump of cash that dates back to their playing card days. They can afford to have the occasional flop, and their reaching into the mobile market is likely a ploy to bring more people in to buy consoles as opposed to "Oh no, they're not making enough money so they're making mobile games now to pick up the difference!" I don't know about Square, but I know my playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper has enticed me into buying more than the FF titles I already own due to the structure of that game. That's what Nintendo's doing. Most kids' first system that can play video games these days is not a Vita or a 3DS or even a console, it's a smartphone or tablet. If Nintendo can somehow get that kid to play Mario on mom or dad's phone, that kid might eventually ask mom and dad to buy a 3DS or Wii U so they can play Mario without the stamina or life refills.

Meanwhile with current titles having something objectionable, for example marriage and future kids in FE, it's annoying as heck to weed through all the rage and hate for the mechanic. I'll still buy both versions even though I don't like future kids, because I enjoy Fire Emblem gameplay more than I hate the kid mechanic being in games other than Awakening. I also understand why they brought the kids into this game: it's more likely than not that marriage and kids helped push copies of Awakening. And guess what? Awakening was the biggest hit in the series, bigger than even Marth's games. Investors likely saw that and corporate asked IS to keep kids because they helped sell copies of the last game. We can only hope they're given a better reason to be in this war than loltimetravel.

Tl;dr: Mobile games could lead to higher console sales, and FE:A style kids are likely here to stay for a bit.

I just ignore it when people get too vociferous. It is not something worth worrying about. People have a right to their opinions and freedom of expression. But I would probably find it annoying if I was confronted by such anger in a situation where ignoring it was not as simple as closing a window.

Also, I think people find some enjoyment or satisfaction in complaining about stuff in groups, where they can find other people who agree with them.

And to the guy who was talking about making amiibos for less popular series, it is probably not more lucrative to print amiibos for game series that you yourself have labeled as less in demand.

Edited by Severlan

Here is an example of people acting like they are living in a herd of chihuahua who are so easy to thrill up.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54641

With enough of them, even a shitty game like 5 nights at Freddy will become a masterpiece of the gaming history.

Edited by Magical CC

Oh, that reminds me of one last point I didn't touch on in my rant because I got distracted irl: Amiibo. Currently, I rather dislike the system and wish we had more than just the figurines to unlock the DLC behind them. On the other hand, I love the concept because that means that many characters who wouldn't have official figurines otherwise (the Fire Emblem crew, Star Fox, Samus, and Kid Icarus cast to name a few) now have them. On the other hand, Nintendo really screwed up the distribution, alongside of locking exclusive DLC to figures that some people will never see because of their rarity. In the short run, this sucks hard, and many people who have FEFates will not be able to access things such as the confirmed Marth's Tiara item. In the long run? If Nintendo thinks things through, they'll continue to reprint amiibo whose initial demand was not met until there's a significant drop in demand of those particular ones. Until that demand is met, though, it would be nice if the DLC hidden behind the amiibo were available for a discounted rate to those of us who have not managed to get our hands on the amiibo that unlocks them.

Here is an example of people acting like they are living in a herd of chihuahua who are so easy to thrill up.

With enough of them, even a shitty game like 5 nights at Freddy will become a masterpiece of the gaming history.

Now that's kinda mean :P: Of course, I'm simply excited for the game because I never played FF7 and now I'd rather wait for the remake than buy a used copy. I want to see what all the hype's about! However, it'll be amusing for the salt that's inevitable after its release...

Thread seems like a pretty normal civil discussion to me. I can kinda see what you are saying with the second part but I think that's more due to the expansion of the Internet and Youtube more than anything. On the flip side great games like Shovel Knight and potentially Bloodstained Symphony of the Night might be SOL without it. Something to think about...

Another thing I didn't bring up in my initial post that I'm beginning to notice is how people also feel the need to have multiple games or even multiple AAA or first party titles of the best quality a month otherwise the system has "quote in quote" no games or a drought in titles and therefore is a failure. Like hell are people just made of money that they can blow 50-60 USD on the newest games every month? While I'm a bit of a collector myself the only reason I've been able to do it is because I'm able to get old used games for dirt cheap online or through trades. It may just be me but when I get a new game I typically go full bore and play the hell out of it for awhile and even revisit it and it keeps me occupied for years.

Edited by LordTaco42

>Thread complaining about people acting toxicly negative

>Post complaining about people acting overly positive

Seriously, what's wrong with liking something?

Nothing at all that's actually one of the main points I was trying to make along with how people choose to deal with things they don't like in extreme ways that ultimately don't change the endstate in any way. Well unless making the gaming community a worse place and being a poor reflection of a certain group of people aka (gamers) is the intent.

EDIT:

There's also nothing wrong with disliking anything either its just that there are better and more effective ways of doing it.

Edited by LordTaco42

Nothing at all that's actually one of the main points I was trying to make along with how people choose to deal with things they don't like in extreme ways that ultimately don't change the endstate in any way. Well unless making the gaming community a worse place and being a poor reflection of a certain group of people aka (gamers) is the intent.

Exactly, I don't see why Magical CC is so ticked at people getting excited for FFVII remake, or even FnaF. If somebody finds enjoyment out of something, and as long as it isn't hurting anyone, why do some people feel the need to be a party pooper and shame them for liking something they don't like?

I pretty much agree with everything you say. The way some fans reacted to Nintendo's E3 conference were pretty over the top and while I don't care for Federation Force, the fact that people would go so far as to start a freaking petition is ridiculous. And even that is pretty tame compared to the pretty pathetic display that was Diretide 2013. If you want a prime example of gamer entitlement, look no further than that mess.

As for people ripping on others who enjoy what they don't like, that's another pretty ridiculous can of worms. If you don't like something, don't buy it and leave it at that. Don't waste your time and energy telling everyone on the internet how bad their game is and why. To take the Metroid example, I used to be pretty fired up about Other M, but I realized how stupid it was to whine about that game since it's exactly that, a video game. If people like the game, who am I to tell them not to like it? I'm pretty sure they're must be at least one game I own and love that others would consider horrible. And at this point, even if Nintendo never released another proper Metroid Prime game and instead released games like Other M and Federation Force (though it's probably to early judge the later one), I would be ok with it. Sure I would be disappointed since I'm seeing a series I like take a direction I don't appreciate, but I can always go back and play the Metroid games I do enjoy.

Another thing I didn't bring up in my initial post that I'm beginning to notice is how people also feel the need to have multiple games or even multiple AAA or first party titles of the best quality a month otherwise the system has "quote in quote" no games or a drought in titles and therefore is a failure. Like hell are people just made of money that they can blow 50-60 USD on the newest games every month? While I'm a bit of a collector myself the only reason I've been able to do it is because I'm able to get old used games for dirt cheap online or through trades. It may just be me but when I get a new game I typically go full bore and play the hell out of it for awhile and even revisit it and it keeps me occupied for years.

People have too much money. The International 5's prizepool has reached 14M$ and it was all funded by the fans. (and that's not even the whole number considering only 1/4th of the purchase went into the prizepool, in fact, people have spent 56M$ together on virtual items. Speaking of virtual items and Valve games, some people used to be ready to spend 200$ for a virtual hat with special visual effects that had no gameplay impact in TF2.)

Liking and hating are both fine. Liking and hating something for silly reasons, that's the problem. Other than being an artifact, FF7 is just a lost cause. I understand it's unfair to compare an old game to newer games and I have no trouble playing old games such as Diablo 2, Planescape and even some snes games but I cant understand why people give FF7 so many praises like that.

While there is a chance for the FF7 Remake to be a great game with up-to-date gameplay, characters and all, I see no reason to hype until a they release a gameplay demo. I am actually pretty hype for FFXV. My hyping level is based on the most recent game of a franchise, not because of the trailer or old games, the most recent game of a company is the best way to predict how well their next game will be.

Edited by Magical CC

Liking and hating are both fine. Liking and hating something for silly reasons, that's the problem. Other than being an artifact, FF7 is just a lost cause. I understand it's unfair to compare an old game to newer games and I have no trouble playing old games such as Diablo 2, Planescape and even some snes games but I cant understand why people give FF7 so many praises like that.

While there is a chance for the FF7 Remake to be a great game with up-to-date gameplay, characters and all, I see no reason to hype until a they release a gameplay demo. I am actually pretty hype for FFXV. My hyping level is based on the most recent game of a franchise, not because of the trailer or old games, the most recent game of a company is the best way to predict how well their next game will be.

Some people want to see one of their old favorites remastered. Just because YOU don't understand it doesn't mean that the hype is unwarranted. FF7 isn't my favorite FF by a long shot, but I'll gladly support those who want to see one of the favorite games with updated everything!

I have a problem with entitlement, full stop. The companies aren't here to make a game just for YOU - they make games for their bottom line. Thus, whining about features (or lack thereof) gets on my nerves. Likewise, hating on something because it's not what you expected/like is just as grating. I don't go on the SNES/NES boards here to complain about FE4!

Some people want to see one of their old favorites remastered. Just because YOU don't understand it doesn't mean that the hype is unwarranted. FF7 isn't my favorite FF by a long shot, but I'll gladly support those who want to see one of the favorite games with updated everything!

I have a problem with entitlement, full stop. The companies aren't here to make a game just for YOU - they make games for their bottom line. Thus, whining about features (or lack thereof) gets on my nerves. Likewise, hating on something because it's not what you expected/like is just as grating. I don't go on the SNES/NES boards here to complain about FE4!

Oh, but I dont hate it. Please read my posts more carefully. I just dont feel the hype and I for sure dont get why it can be someone's old favorites when it's just a mediocre game that couldnt survive the test of time, unless many other classical games. Having bias will affect your judgement, just as what you right now.

Also, is it mean that you consider yourself as casual customer who dont care about the quality of the game? Now that is great.

I don't understand why people like this game, therefore it's not worth remaking.

That wasn't my issue in the first place anyways, I too think it's an overrated game that needs a hefty update, but your original post was clearly an attack on the fans of the game, not the remake itself.