Nintendo Treehouse, Hoshido Version

DualMix

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall that there was a feature to skip all the way to chapter 7 in each version for some reason.

Well, the "choose your side" cutscene takes place after Chapter 6, so I guess they didn't want to spoil it for anybody.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I didn't notice it yesterday, but in IGN's video of chapter 2 Kamui has basically the same stats as Gunter. At level 2. So it's safe to say that Kamui is going to break this game.

I'm pretty sure they boosted his stats for the video. If I'm wrong though... holy shet.

What? She has a dark blue outfit and her white outfit has some blue on it as well. Then there's all that blue hair, And of course, her tie to water. And water often appears blue (it's not really blue though, it only looks like it because it's reflecting the sky's color).

Come on, it's clearly purple, not dark blue. And well, the water she summons without any sky to reflect is blue, at least.

Was that watery effect on Renka's site always there, by the way? I just noticed it and it's pretty lovely.

... What? The topic? Oh, right. Hm... SuzuKaze's ninja disappearing act after he defeated that thief was great. Can't wait to see Kagerou do that.

Am incredibly frustrated at Subaki. Do they think we're too stupid for Tsubaki?

This kind of name change gives me the impression some of these name-changes are done due to some anti-japanese sentiment in the localization team. It would have made some sense (albeit still sounded odd) if they took out the S instead of the T; the kana for "tsu" can be alternatively spelled "tu". The kana for "su" doesn't even look similar to the kana for "tsu/tu".

I've personally not much problem with the other type of name changes, but ehhh.

I just noticed that Azura gets hair over her face in one of her portraits. Kinda funny.

This kind of name change gives me the impression some of these name-changes are done due to some anti-japanese sentiment in the localization team. It would have made some sense (albeit still sounded odd) if they took out the S instead of the T; the kana for "tsu" can be alternatively spelled "tu". The kana for "su" doesn't even look similar to the kana for "tsu/tu".

While this is technically true, if they did this then nobody would be pronouncing the name even remotely close to what it is supposed to sound like. I don't like it myself, but at least 'su' sounds closer to tsu than the number 2. Accusing them of anti-japanese sentiment is a bit harsh, but they do seem to have a pretty low opinion of what they think Westerners can handle pronunciation-wise when it comes to Asian names.

Sakura telling Subaki and Hana to stop arguing. lol

I actually really liked that, when she told them they were embarrassing themselves and also embarrassing her. It shows that while she may seem to be the "quiet and kind and gentle" archetype, she's willing to take charge of her subordinates and assert her authority, not just shrink back and let them do as they will.

Or they thought Tsubaki was too visually similar to Takumi. Especially since the way we speed-read western words is like 95% looking at the first and last letters. And their names are the exact same length, to make matters worse.

These are people who made it their jobs to study Japanese and localize a Japanese company's products. I doubt anti-Japanese sentiment is really affecting their work. It's more like they're (overly?) concerned for how westerners read and process names, and I mean, that's literally their job.

Edited by Lynsanity

Or they though Tsubaki was too visually similar to Takumi. Especially since the way we speed-read western words is like 95% looking at the first and last letters. And their names are the exact same length, to make matters worse.

These are people who made it their jobs to study Japanese and localize a Japanese company's products. I doubt anti-Japanese sentiment is really affecting their work. It's more like they're (overly?) concerned for how westerners read and process names, and I mean, that's literally their job.

Yeah, I agree, I think it is a little silly to suspect translators employed by a Japanese company to have anti-Japanese sentiment.

No it isn't. It's clearly dark blue to me. Except on the ends, though.

Looking at the trailer again, there are shots like this:

sw58q1m.png

(if you tell me that's not purple, I'm not sure there's anything to add. And not just the bottom part)

... and ones like this:

vtz7imf.png

... which is closer to dark blue, although I still see purple.

It does look a bit inconsistent to me though, but I'm no artist. At this point, I'd like to see a portrait or something.

In any case, azure is light blue, so I'm not sure any of that matters.

That being said, it is to be noted that the sprite of her (mostly)white robe is light blue. Which is something. But unless she gets a name change along with the robe, I won't think that her color scheme was the main inspiration for that name... just like it was with Aqua, too.

Edited by Cysx

Okay, so both the presentations yesterday and today confirm that the first chapter we'll get access to the preparation screen is the one after the the route split. Which means that up until chapter 6, you'll have to manage your equipment on the fly. If Lunatic is anything like Awakening, it's gonna be hectic. At least we don't have to worry about weapon breaking anymore.

Okay, so both the presentations yesterday and today confirm that the first chapter we'll get access to the preparation screen is the one after the the route split. Which means that up until chapter 6, you'll have to manage your equipment on the fly. If Lunatic is anything like Awakening, it's gonna be hectic. At least we don't have to worry about weapon breaking anymore.

Weapon durability was the main concern though, so what else is there to be really wary about? Besides being forced to deploy scrub units that you would leave on the bench otherwise?

If any more chapters around this point have this pitiful of an enemy layout even on Lunatic, they won't be particularly hectic. By this point in Awakening we had to be shielding Emmeryn from a whole bunch of enemies. Hell, even Awakening's Prologue looked more intimidating than this, so while it does get a bit of a break if it's tamer than the ones around it to ease into the Hoshido team, that still doesn't completely excuse it.

Weapon durability was the main concern though, so what else is there to be really wary about? Besides being forced to deploy scrub units that you would leave on the bench otherwise?

You still need to trade your weapons multiple times during the map (which was crucial to the first few chapters of Awakening Lunatic/+), and have to think ahead who will switch with whom and do the trading beforehand (like what most people did with Virion's elixir for example), otherwise you'll waste a turn that's better spent on something else.

If any more chapters around this point have this pitiful of an enemy layout even on Lunatic, they won't be particularly hectic. By this point in Awakening we had to be shielding Emmeryn from a whole bunch of enemies. Hell, even Awakening's Prologue looked more intimidating than this, so while it does get a bit of a break if it's tamer than the ones around it to ease into the Hoshido team, that still doesn't completely excuse it.

Awakening's Lunatic had like double the amount of enemies compared to Normal. So I wouldn't be too worried with enemy deployment.

Edited by Ryo

Well, storyline wise it seems that Silas wasn't even really trying to defeat you, so perhaps they can excuse the ease of the victory as actually being related to the story?

While this is technically true, if they did this then nobody would be pronouncing the name even remotely close to what it is supposed to sound like. I don't like it myself, but at least 'su' sounds closer to tsu than the number 2. Accusing them of anti-japanese sentiment is a bit harsh, but they do seem to have a pretty low opinion of what they think Westerners can handle pronunciation-wise when it comes to Asian names.

I wasn't accusing them :/ It may sound silly to suggest that there is anti-Japanese sentiment (and I'll admit it seems unlikely), but life can take people in unexpected directions; much like how people can end up in jobs they dont like, people can end up in jobs where they deal in products from a country they dislike. But you and Lynsanity do raise fair points.

...funny enough, if they really were worried about how Westerners would see the names, then they don't seem to realize things like how niche Fire Emblem always was in the West, and what kinds of people would take interest in a series like it. Especially now that this latest title(s?) appeals to people who are into very Japanese things, which should also make it obvious that fans can deal just fine with regular Japanese names. Unless it rolls off the tongue awkwardly, like "shichishito".

That also seems odd to me.

Edited by Tessie Spoon

Do you think there's any chance that they'll change them before the game is released? There was the whole Grendel to Garrick thing in Awakening. It's a far cry from realistic, I know, but holy crap, this treatment of their names is just extremely bothersome.

I like how Hoshido's chapter 7 is pretty much a hallway with goodies given to you, while Nohr's chapter 7 has you split into three forces. Definitely getting Nohr first.

Yeah, I noticed this right away. Nohr looks harder right off the bat, Hoshido ch7 looks piss easy. (by comparison)

You still need to trade your weapons multiple times during the map (which was crucial to the first few chapters of Awakening Lunatic/+), and have to think ahead who will switch with whom and do the trading beforehand (like what most people did with Virion's elixir for example), otherwise you'll waste a turn that's better spent on something else.

I don't recall it being that crucial to trade weapons in any chapter other than 2, but Lunatic(+) Chapter 2 is just a terrible chapter the likes of which I hope stays far away from Fates Lunatic. People sometimes talk about how trading Robin's bronze sword to Fred is mandatory but it really isn't. I could see strategically passing around healing items and such being important though.

The situation I personally relied on trading the most was when I had to forcefully remove all of a units' equippable weapons to prevent them from getting destroyed by Counter in early L+. But something tells me that level of bullshit will not reappear in this game.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, trading will probably become especially crucial in the later stages of the game where you have access to a bunch of weapons with different specs/effects, and that choice of "which weapon should I equip" that the devs were alluding to really comes into play. But it seems like in the prologue chapters most units only have access to basic bronze/iron weapons.

Edited by Bovinian

I don't recall it being that crucial to trade weapons in any chapter other than 2, but Lunatic(+) Chapter 2 is just a terrible chapter the likes of which I hope stays far away from Fates Lunatic. People sometimes talk about how trading Robin's bronze sword to Fred is mandatory but it really isn't. I could see strategically passing around healing items and such being important though.

The situation I personally relied on trading the most was when I had to forcefully remove all of a units' equippable weapons to prevent them from getting destroyed by Counter in early L+. But something tells me that level of bullshit will not reappear in this game.

But that's because inventory management was available right from Chapter 3, so it's not much of a problem after that point. Now you have to wait like 6 chapters. But perhaps there's another way to trade things around during each chapter that we don't know of, and the preparation screen is only for supports/skills/etc. The only reason I believe we won't see the preparation screen until chapter 7 is because that's where the tutorial pops up, so I assume that's the first time we see it.