Well, here we go...

Alphine

Am I the only one who absolutely hated most of the children characters, but loved the S rank conversations? The first generation characters were way more interesting in my opinion. Morgan was the only second generation character I used.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I'm disappointed. I wanted supports to not have to be so romantic this time, but at least they're limited. Maybe only a few units can have kids.

Is this why same sex isn't a thing? Cause there's so much romance of say two characters of the opposite sex during romance and same sex just do comedy. They balance it.

Marx: "I bet I can make a better child than you."

Ryouma: "Like put a wager on that?"

Marx: "Kamui?"

Ryouma: "Kamui."

Well, Marx is a Dark Knight and Ryouma is Trueblade... Judging from FEA's skillset, that probably mean that Ryouma will give Astra and swordfaire... So, Ryouma is probably the better father, I guess ?

What do you mean it was a joke question ?

Is this why same sex isn't a thing? Cause there's so much romance of say two characters of the opposite sex during romance and same sex just do comedy. They balance it.

No same sex isn't a thing because LGBT relationships are still a very taboo subject in Japan. They're very conservative.

No same sex isn't a thing because LGBT relationships are still a very taboo subject in Japan. They're very conservative.

Agreed there, but it's rather funny. Radiant Dawn had LGBT characters, and yet later entries in the same series don't have such a thing. Seems like a step backwards, IMO. I guess I can cross my fingers there will still be such characters in Fates and they will just have childless marriages, which I am fine with. This game is looking to have more characters than that one, so there is few excuses as to not including them. But then again, they made a point as to say "opposite sex", didn't they...?

*sighs*

Radiant Dawn had LGBT characters

The only character who explicitly shows sexual interest in the same gender is Heather though. Everything else is subtext at best. And, even in that case, she was a minor character and Radiant Dawn was a game without actual support conversations, so her whole characterization in that sense is limited to a few lines around the time she joins. She gets into no real relationship and has little screentime. Here, a character like that would need to receive much more attention due to supports being a thing.

Based on prospective sales, there is no way in hell marriage/kids will be exclusive to Hoshido. They'll dig their own graves if that's the case, and I highly doubt they're that stupid.

Either way, I don't like it all. I mean, I'm glad S-supports are returning because to me it means more 'characterisation'. I just wish it took a more platonic or 'lovers' route instead in the form of marriage. Unless done like FE4, I DO NOT want any children, and it really just feels like glorified fanservice to me, solely based on the fact that; kids were a big hit in Awakening, so let's do it again!

While the way the kids suddenly appear have me on the defensive, I do hope and expect that Fates will somehow implement children better than they were in Awakening. But regardless of origin, I always like having more characters and support conversations, so I'm not completely miffed about the children.

I just hope they can support with some of the other 'grown ups' that aren't their parents. Please.

Perhaps there's still hope left for the Nohr path. Whatever happened to them trying to appeal to the oldschool fans that liked how supports worked in the past, revealing romance shit at the end? Were those just empty words? We'll see.

Perhaps there's still hope left for the Nohr path. Whatever happened to them trying to appeal to the oldschool fans that liked how supports worked in the past, revealing romance shit at the end? Were those just empty words? We'll see.

They... never said that though. Their reference to appealing to older fans with Nohr was regarding the map design and objectives, alongside no grinding. There has been no interview about the supports or romance.

I think the Nohr story is how they're trying to appeal. They're keeping in the mechanics that made their series popular enough to continue, but Nohr being a much harder path is meant to be a shout out and thank you to all of the fans that have stayed through them the entire roller coaster. The marriage system and children is more a mechanic than throwaway now with the stances (Support levels influence the boost people get) so I doubt we'll see a huge return to the romance that happens after the story. Though most of the characters still don't begin married life until post-game (I mean, in awakening everyone met their future kids but only Chrom ever had time to actually have a kid, somehow...)

^NeonZ beat me to the punch >_<

Edited by RPGatWill

I just figured they'd try to appeal to older fans with both tougher/more complex gameplay and fewer focus on supports because those were the main points of criticism that were addressed.

As I said, we'll see. I'm hoping for the best..

...again, that is. Marriage and Child mechanics are back. To be honest, I'm kinda annoyed that these were brought back. Marrying in the middle of a war sounds rather bizarre IMO

Well I guess people don't want to miss out on anything so in the middle of the war you maybe need some happy monents becaude you can die every day. Just an assumption why xou would do that in a situation like this

The only character who explicitly shows sexual interest in the same gender is Heather though. Everything else is subtext at best. And, even in that case, she was a minor character and Radiant Dawn was a game without actual support conversations, so her whole characterization in that sense is limited to a few lines around the time she joins. She gets into no real relationship and has little screentime. Here, a character like that would need to receive much more attention due to supports being a thing.

Well, Soren's subtext is absurdly strong, to the point it's really hard to see him as anything else. And Kyza is actually gay, but wasn't mentioned in-game. The developers did confirm it, however. Actually, Kyza could be trans, it was a little unclear. But he did use feminine pronouns when referring to himself and had a crush on Ranulf.

But yeah, now there isn't even subtext...

Well I guess people don't want to miss out on anything so in the middle of the war you maybe need some happy monents becaude you can die every day. Just an assumption why xou would do that in a situation like this

Love is great, but I wouldn't go to war knowing the fact my loved one is worried sick that they could get informed that I died. Have you seen 'Dear John'? Seriously tho, these Fe characters sound pretty greedy.

"War is better than Love, because you either live or die, but at the end of love, you neither live or die..."

Love is great, but I wouldn't go to war knowing the fact my loved one is worried sick that they could get informed that I died. Have you seen 'Dear John'? Seriously tho, these Fe characters sound pretty greedy.

"War is better than Love, because you either live or die, but at the end of love, you neither live or die..."

I think it's more because they forge bonds in battle. Those bonds cause certain people to be drawn together in a more romantic way. It's like when you know a person at work. Sure, you're co-workers, but outside of the workplace you may become friends because you happen to work together everyday and you get along okay. That may eventually turn into romance and marriage. When you're around the same people all the time, you're more naturally drawn to certain members of that team.

Something like that. Also... it's kind of just a thing for shippers to get into. We're going to ship it anyway, so why not let us marry the characters in game? At least then we know the characters get to have some happy in the middle of death and despair and terror and faceless and family killing and...

Something like that. Also... it's kind of just a thing for shippers to get into. We're going to ship it anyway, so why not let us marry the characters in game? At least then we know the characters get to have some happy in the middle of death and despair and terror and faceless and family killing and...

My biggest fear for this is that marriage and children will now become a staple for Fire Emblem, and they will remain in all future releases of the franchise... I understand that IS is moving onto new plateaus, but did it really have to be like this? Oh well, I still love FE for being what it is and will continue to support them either way.

Let's all just hope Fire Emblem remains a tactics RPG with dating sim elements rather than turning it the other way around.

As long as it remains popular, mid-war marriage and bonus children will stay. In a way, it's like breeding for Pokémon with good IVs and abilities. In case it'd be getting super units with abilities their starting class wouldn't normally have as well as increased stats.

Edited by Lord-Zero