SF SSB4 Ranking Experiment - List for Patch 1.14

Shin

With the recent patch, it'd be an idea to see how people currently felt.

It's essentially putting each character in a tier-esque category. Of course, there's an option to not comment on a given character if you don't feel you know them well enough. It's assuming 1vs1 play, stock with no items on EVO stages. Anyone can take part, but this is meant to represent how good each character is, not who your favourites are. I will delete any duplicate responses, I had to do so several times in the old list. Don't rank your favourites S and everyone else F, I'll be deleting those too.

This list also assumes you're fully up to date, the current patch is 1.14!

Here's the form.

[spoiler=List for 1.13]

00dbefabafbbf1c8e93549039013397c.png

[spoiler=List from 1.10]

c64a0772df14e7cd273d4f7208cdba64.png

[spoiler=Lists from 1.08]

[spoiler=FIRST LIST]

a387093d73ff7b53bb72e4c2440ae165.png

[spoiler=Second List]

9742ba3cfbeb394744efeeb96b571d52.png

Edited by Shin

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I can totally get behind this.

You may wish to specify what "standard stages" are (although I assume you just mean essentially EVO's ruleset)

edit: submitted

Edited by Euklyd

Yeah, EVO's list is fair enough. I'm not too worried about personal bias messing with results at this stage, I'm more interested to see what actually comes out at the end of it. I'll end up with quite a few ways to construct a "list". Assigning the ranks scores numerically and taking averages could work, as would simply using the mode.

wonder how many people are gonna like, use zero's list almost completely

I kinda used my personal experience, while thinking of his and Dabuz lists. I think I think a bit differently then they do so I didn't :P

I don't know if it's possible, but an option to review all selections before submitting would be nice. I feel like I gave a lot of Bs and Cs.

Otherwise, though, I think this could be pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing the results.

I don't know if it's possible, but an option to review all selections before submitting would be nice. I feel like I gave a lot of Bs and Cs.

Otherwise, though, I think this could be pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Once I get a good enough number, I'll post the results. I could give public access to the means calculated (which we can thank Euklyd for, my original method sucked) but I don't want people swayed by the averages.

Ooh, this is interesting! I filled it out. Though admittedly, I don't know much about most characters. xP

That's fine! The option that you don't know a character is there for a reason.

is there any way for me to see my submission? i want to see how my list compares to zero's, cause i just did it based off of experience haha.

If you could remember some of the results you gave, but everything's anonymised after it gets processed!

Cool, we have about two dozen responses. I'll see how it goes over the next day or so and release an initial list, just so we have something to talk about!

Viable with Work all the things!

Personally, I don't believe in tiers. It all depends on who's playing what. As an average to above average player myself (able to stand my ground in tourneyfag mode 1v1 For Glory (the salt is real yo), I get curbstomped with "low tier" and "trash tier" characters (Mewtwo, Wario, Ike, and Zard come to mind), and I don't consider myself to be a scrub, but then I'll turn around and shit all over Rosalumas, Sheikah, Caps, and Nesses. Sometimes this is reversed, too, as to where I curbstomp "low tier" characters and get shat upon by "high tier" characters. Keep in mind that I play a variety of characters from all over the "tier list", use a variety of strategies (but I don't Edgeguard or Zone much,) and altogether dabble with many things in Smash. What this all boils down to is that everything is in how you play a character. What would be the point in making a character better or worse than another?

Personally, I don't believe in tiers. It all depends on who's playing what. As an average to above average player myself (able to stand my ground in tourneyfag mode 1v1 For Glory (the salt is real yo), I get curbstomped with "low tier" and "trash tier" characters (Mewtwo, Wario, Ike, and Zard come to mind), and I don't consider myself to be a scrub, but then I'll turn around and shit all over Rosalumas, Sheikah, Caps, and Nesses. Sometimes this is reversed, too, as to where I curbstomp "low tier" characters and get shat upon by "high tier" characters. Keep in mind that I play a variety of characters from all over the "tier list", use a variety of strategies (but I don't Edgeguard or Zone much,) and altogether dabble with many things in Smash. What this all boils down to is that everything is in how you play a character. What would be the point in making a character better or worse than another?

It is fine to not believe in tiers however they do exist at high level of play however a shounen player (characters like ryu (going to be using streetfighter as a reference)) may not be able to do as well as a grapple character (like Alex) even if Alex was placed higher on tiers also 4glory definitely does not equal tournament play for a number of reason (just FD, no counter picking/stage striking , actual quality of players, etc..)

Shin i love the dank memes

Edited by cnkern

The player does count yes, but characters are definitely better/inferior then another in various different aspects. Some are better overall at certain situations, others take more practice in a particular art. You don't seem to understand the mechanics of the thing, especially if that's your idea of low/trash tier characters.

Also yeah FG isn't the best in determining things. There are like 10 other viable stages, with differences and pros and cons for each character.

I use pretty much every character in the game at different levels of competence, because I find the majority of the cast fun, but strengths and weaknesses are very apparent. With dedication a weaker character CAN overcome a stronger one, its about the mentality the players have, as well as their skills and experience against each other/each character with regards to a match up.

I may clobber a Luigi as Sonic one day and have him beat me the next because he learned the MU better or I had a bad day, or I simply just didn't use my options to their best ability.

I two stocked a Diddy Kong as Ike in one tourney. Does this mean Ike>Diddy? I think not! I was just the more experienced player. Diddy can combo Ike into oblivion if given the chance, Ike can barely respond to him in some situations and has to keep his distance perfectly and space Diddy out. Which is pretty tough to do considering the speed difference. Not even mentioning his bananas.

Name one fighting game that has absolute perfect balance across its cast. Like its fine if you don't like tiers, but don't claim they don't exist at a competitive level.

I mean I love FFA's and goofy fun matches too you know, but still this is a discussion of 1v1's and stuff.

Edited by Jedi

It is fine to not believe in tiers however they do exist at high level of play however a shounen player (characters like ryu (going to be using streetfighter as a reference)) may not be able to do as well as a grapple character (like Alex) even if Alex was placed higher on tiers also 4glory definitely does not equal tournament play for a number of reason (just FD, no counter picking/stage striking , actual quality of players, etc..)

The player does count yes, but characters are definitely better/inferior then another in various different aspects. Some are better overall at certain situations, others take more practice in a particular art. You don't seem to understand the mechanics of the thing, especially if that's your idea of low/trash tier characters.

Also yeah FG isn't the best in determining things. There are like 10 other viable stages, with differences and pros and cons for each character.

I use pretty much every character in the game at different levels of competence, because I find the majority of the cast fun, but strengths and weaknesses are very apparent. With dedication a weaker character CAN overcome a stronger one, its about the mentality the players have, as well as their skills and experience against each other/each character with regards to a match up.

I may clobber a Luigi as Sonic one day and have him beat me the next because he learned the MU better or I had a bad day, or I simply just didn't use my options to their best ability.

I two stocked a Diddy Kong as Ike in one tourney. Does this mean Ike>Diddy? I think not! I was just the more experienced player.

Woah, woah. I never argued that because I was beat by low tier characters meant low tier characters were superior to the character I was playing. I used that as an example of the fact that there's no such thing as a bad character. In fact, though I was wrong about the nonexistence of tiers, this was my entire original post.

Name one fighting game that has absolute perfect balance across its cast. Like its fine if you don't like tiers, but don't claim they don't exist at a competitive level.

I mean I love FFA's and goofy fun matches too you know, but still this is a discussion of 1v1's and stuff.

In my opinion, no deliberately overpowered characters exist, but some characters do indeed have an advantage over others in the situation regarded as the competitive play standard.

I see what you're saying, and I've come to the conclusion that no character is better than another, or worse, the only real thing that makes some characters better in competitive play is that some characters have the tools to handle certain situations better than others. As most competitive players use tournaments or FG as the basis of tiers, the characters that excel in these areas are considered superior to other characters that are at a disadvantage, therefore tiers do and do not exist. Does that sound about right?

Edited by JothTheConqueror

i tended to avoid voting s and f in the poll

I see what you're saying, and I've come to the conclusion that no character is better than another, or worse, the only real thing that makes some characters better in competitive play is that some characters have the tools to handle certain situations better than others. As most competitive players use tournaments or FG as the basis of tiers, the characters that excel in these areas are considered superior to other characters that are at a disadvantage, therefore tiers do and do not exist. Does that sound about right?

No one intelligent uses 4glory as a biases for tiers. and characters that are better in tournaments are higher on tiers as tiers are pretty much for competitive play only and shows which characters are all around better for dealing with the ... wait for it...META GAME . Because of this tiers do change but overall stay rather consistent.(i play all mii matches with friends would i do that in a tournament? HELL NO!!)

Edited by cnkern

i tended to avoid voting s and f in the poll

No one intelligent uses 4glory as a biases for tiers. and characters that are better in tournaments are higher on tiers as tiers are pretty much for competitive play only and shows which characters are all around better for dealing with the ... wait for it...META GAME . Because of this tiers do change but overall stay rather consistent.(i play all mii matches with friends would i do that in a tournament? HELL NO!!)

Ooookay, thank you for restating my point, albeit in a rude and sarcastic way. Did you even read my post? I highly suggest you go back and read it again. Not only have I edited it, but I also SPECIFICALLY STATED that some characters are better in the META GAME, without using the exact words Meta Game, and better yet, I managed to present my point WITHOUT USING ALL-CAPS BOLDED PRINT.

Ooookay, thank you for restating my point, albeit in a rude and sarcastic way. Did you even read my post? I highly suggest you go back and read it again. Not only have I edited it, but I also SPECIFICALLY STATED that some characters are better in the META GAME, without using the exact words Meta Game, and better yet, I managed to present my point WITHOUT USING ALL-CAPS BOLDED PRINT.

then you believe in tier lists. as judging characters worth in the metagame is kinda the point of tierlists. just poking you for saying tiers don't exist when they actually do and are constantly changing (well cept for games like melee kinda hard to move in that list now)

Edited by cnkern

*headdeskheaddeskheaddesk*

Did you read my post? Honestly?

yes. multiple times in fact. lemme just give it another read because you seem like you want me to read it a 5th time.

as i said i was only pointing out you said tiers don't exist not your other more valid points like characters are better in certain situations however its the amount of good match ups (and situations) that move a character up (and down). I'm only posting cause you said tiers don't exist but you seemed to correct that in your post...

Edited by cnkern

yes. multiple times in fact. lemme just give it another read because you seem like you want me to read it a 5th time.

For reading it 5 times, you still don't seem to grasp the point. I believe that tiers exist in competitive play, but only in a competitive enviorment. I acknowledged your point and revised my thinking. Your post was a restatement of what I said. In the META GAME, some characters shine due to being suited to it's standards.