SF SSB4 Ranking Experiment - List for Patch 1.14

Shin

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told a horrible lie, the second list has a few changes around the top. Luigi seems to have jumped up a little! In other news, F tier still suck.

Ike dropped several spots. :( How's that possible after the most recent patch? Luigi went up though, so that's cool. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Ike dropped several spots. :( How's that possible after the most recent patch?

Remember, this is Serenes Forest's tier list. Common sense need not apply.

Is Dr. Mario really that much worse than Mario? Three tiers difference seems a bit... exaggerated to me.

Is Dr. Mario really that much worse than Mario? Three tiers difference seems a bit... exaggerated to me.

No the tier list isn't exaggerated for Dr. Mario. I'm a Mario main and despite him being better than Mario in melee, he is too slow in Smash 4. His recovery is god awful compared to Mario, his weight prevents him from ever coming back on the stage, despite having the similar movesets and the Mario tornado back. Off stage playing is also too risky for him and it makes it difficult to comeback on the stage because of it. Mario has fast combos and can dish out amazing damage with decent enough speed. I've had better success experiences playing with regular Mario than Dr Mario if at all ever.

Both lists are post-patch, so there's no reason why any buffs Ike got would move him on the second list.

No, the tier list isn't exaggerated for Dr. Mario. His recovery is god awful compared to Mario, his weight prevents him from ever coming back on the stage, despite having similar movesets and the Mario Tornado back. Off stage playing is also too risky for him and it makes it difficult to comeback on the stage because of it. Mario has fast combos and can dish out amazing damage with decent enough speed. I've had better success experiences playing with regular Mario than Dr Mario if at all ever.

I still play as Dr. Mario occasionally. Maybe it's because I can't FLUDD, maybe it's because I like high-risk/high-reward characters, or maybe it's because I like to cosplay as Italian doctors.

I still play as Dr. Mario occasionally. Maybe it's because I can't FLUDD, maybe it's because I like high-risk/high-reward characters, or maybe it's because I like to cosplay as Italian doctors.

I use FLUDD quite frequently, in fact it's great for throwing off the opponents. A lot of people underestimate Smash 4 Mario's Fludd considering the buffs it has gotten is way better than in Brawl. I've used it many times to spike off or cape opponents and it can really screw up their recoveries because of it. Dr Mario's high risk and high reward especially for offstage playing is unfortunately not worth it for what you're going for considering Mario's abilities to do that is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDfcSn_114

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN9B6IcYkUA

Dr Mario's high risk and high reward especially for offstage playing is unfortunately not worth it for what you're going for considering Mario's abilities to do that is much better.

Have you ever considered that Dr. Mario is, you know, not supposed to go offstage? With Dr. Mario, you gotta rack up damage (because he deals more), and kill 'em with a smash attack. I do see why he's worse though, now. He's slower, AND has worse recovery, AND can't gimp people like Mario can. BUT... his attacks do more damage. Is it a worthy tradeoff? I guess the answer is no.

Have you ever considered that Dr. Mario is, you know, not supposed to go offstage?

Yes and that is his unfortunate biggest weakness. In every smash game, offstage games are key for majority of the competitive games as denying your opponents from ever coming back can completely change the outcome. If I don't have that extra option then I am gimping myself from doing what other majority of the casts excels at. Not to mention recoveries in Brawl and Smash 4 are insanely good making those kill potentials pretty useless using smash attacks. Flexibility and having many options to maneuver around is what makes those characters in the top tier list so good.

Ike got buffs in almost every patch so far, I think, now that I think about it. :P We need a new meme:

Employee: So Mr. Sakurai, what should we include in the latest Smash Bros. patch?

Sakurai: Buff Ike, of course! Then whatever you feel is needed, yeah!

lol XD

Ike got buffs in almost every patch so far, I think, now that I think about it. :P We need a new meme:

Employee: So Mr. Sakurai, what should we include in the latest Smash Bros. patch?

Sakurai: Buff Ike, of course! Then whatever you feel is needed, yeah!

lol XD

Yeah it amazes me, Ike definitely was like low/bottom material and I say that as he was one of my mains in like the first version of the game.

Now he's for sure mid if not better, Zard, Marth and some others got decent buffs too

Yeah Ike is Mid tier at worst and bottom High at best. Has alot at his disposal now with his air game, kill potential, and follow ups from grabs. His dash buff is pretty killer too.

Edited by LordTaco42

• 4 weeks later...

Considering that a new patch recently came out, it might be an idea to create a new list! I'm going to give people a couple of days to adjust to the new patch, otherwise we'll just be rehashing the old one!

Cool, it's been a couple of days since the patch, so I've cleared the responses! Please reinput your opinions based on the new patch! I'll compile the results after we get some responses!

I don't know about Roy being that high... he lacks a projectile, and while I could say that for those close-by, such as Sonic, Sonic's kill moves come out rather fast...

But at the same time, Roy has MULTIPLE ways to kill, so much that it's hard to predict, so... meh, maybe it's because I haven't seen his full potential yet, I 'unno.