SF SSB4 Ranking Experiment - List for Patch 1.14

Shin

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are these polls getting so memey? Whatever happened to just using the character names as they are?

It's a funny story, Dank Pit was actually a legit typo, and it'd be weird not change the others!

Edited by Shin

Cool, it's been a couple of days since the patch, so I've cleared the responses! Please reinput your opinions based on the new patch! I'll compile the results after we get some responses!

I voted, then realized: customs or no customs? I know most of the next tourneys are customs-off, so are we going with that?

Regardless, I'm curious to see how Evo affected people's impressions of characters like G&W and WFT. They were both pretty unanimously low/bottom tier, but players put in work at Evo with both of them, even using mostly-vanilla custom sets.

I voted, then realized: customs or no customs? I know most of the next tourneys are customs-off, so are we going with that?

Regardless, I'm curious to see how Evo affected people's impressions of characters like G&W and WFT. They were both pretty unanimously low/bottom tier, but players put in work at Evo with both of them, even using mostly-vanilla custom sets.

We're assuming customs. This list was originally to satisfy my own curiosity, but I guess it's kinda only applicable for SF.

Out of curiosity how are the final results calculated?

we assign a numerical score to each of the responses (e.g., "C: Modest performance, some flaws" -> 2 pts), then average

Here's a list showing how much characters have risen/dropped by. I'm really surprised to see Ike jump up that much, 23 places is pretty massive. Otherwise it seems pretty OK. The middle positions seem to be the most hectic, RIP Shulk.

205ddb242dcd9349fb5b0dc5d8c06061.png

I feel like people are either badly underestimating Charizard or somehow haven't seen all the buffs it got over the last few patches.

Also, Zelda is no longer F-tier material, I would say.

I feel like people are either badly underestimating Charizard or somehow haven't seen all the buffs it got over the last few patches.

They're badly underestimating Charizard. TBH they badly underestimated Charizard even before all the buffs.

Also, Zelda is no longer F-tier material, I would say.

No, but she's not much better than that, either . . .

Wow, Ike jumped way more than any other character. :o I expected him to rise a good bit, but wow. :P Yay for my hero! <3

And Mii Swordfighter rose too? Heh, awesome! It's a start. ;P

Shulk's drop though. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Wow, our list is a little odd. Rosa at #1 over Sheik? Really? Rosa's good, but she has some polarizing matchups. Sheik is amazing against basically everyone. And Sonic not S tier? That's pretty baffling to me. Heck, most of Japan thinks Sonic is like #2 in the game. I'm skeptical of him being that high, sure, but it certainly should give an indication of at least what tier he's in (I think #2 is ZSS, or maybe Rosa or Pika). Worst of all is Meta Knight, who appears to be one of the premiere Sheik counters (and probably could be high/top tier even without that); but is somehow in C tier!

On a more opionated note, I'm continually puzzled by WFT's placement on tier lists. And not just this one either. This one is actually better than most I've seen. We had not 1, but 2 WFT's in the top 25 at the biggest SSB4 tourney of all time, Evo 2015. How on earth could she be low tier with results like that? Half of the high tiers didn't get results that good. Is her frame data really bad enough to warrant overlooking those kinds of results?

Edited by Ragnell

Japan plays way more patiently and carefully than we do; Sonic is good at not taking risks and fits such a patient playstyle iirc, but it doesn't work so well in our meta.

agreed about Rosa > Sheik being kinda wtf

the sole fact that Sheik is generally agreed to win the Rosa MU should put her over Rosa, since they're considered basically the only competition for each other.

but Sheik also wins literally every matchup. there's really no way that Rosa > Sheik

Wow, our list is a little odd. Rosa at #1 over Sheik? Really? Rosa's good, but she has some polarizing matchups. Sheik is amazing against basically everyone. And Sonic not S tier? That's pretty baffling to me. Heck, most of Japan thinks Sonic is like #2 in the game. I'm skeptical of him being that high, sure, but it certainly should give an indication of at least what tier he's in (I think #2 is ZSS, or maybe Rosa or Pika). Worst of all is Meta Knight, who appears to be one of the premiere Sheik counters (and probably could be high/top tier even without that); but is somehow in C tier!

On a more opionated note, I'm continually puzzled by WFT's placement on tier lists. And not just this one either. This one is actually better than most I've seen. We had not 1, but 2 WFT's in the top 25 at the biggest SSB4 tourney of all time, Evo 2015. How on earth could she be low tier with results like that? Half of the high tiers didn't get results that good. Is her frame data really bad enough to warrant overlooking those kinds of results?

I think some people are negatively inclined to Sheik and that affected her placement.

I seriously don't get the community's obsession with Sheik. Seriously: "wins literally every matchup"? Are you kidding me? Tell that to my Charizard--I don't think it got the memo.

And it's not just Sheik either! Sonic? Pikachu? Look, guys, I get it, I know that speed is good and all, but a good character needs to have some KO moves, too!

Actually, quite frankly, how is anybody on our S list who isn't Rosaluma any better than Yoshi?

Edited by Tamarsamar