Oracle of Seasons or Ages? Also, Etrian Odyssey Untold?

Dual Dragons

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages are on a 30% sale and I'm wondering which one is considered better. I was planning to pick up one of the two and Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (50% off on eShop) as well.

Now, I don't mind getting both if they are considered more or less equally good games--thing is: I'm not a big Legend of Zelda player. I beat Windwaker, own Twilight Princess, and am currently playing Ocarina of Time for the first time. Criteria like "world map's better" or "items are better," I wouldn't know about those in context of Legend of Zelda. As can be seen, I also never played any of the 2D or pre-N64 Zelda games.

I've heard of some things, such as Ages being puzzle-oriented and Seasons being combat-oriented. Just by that, I would think Ages is better since it's not like you get stats other than HP and attack (not based on weapon/item) in Zelda. But like I said, if getting both is the better option since they are equally good, I don't mind getting all three games.

**Extra: I'm also new to Etrian Odyssey (I played the demo to IV and have Persona Q). If anyone knows about those games (perhaps if Untold is not as good as IV or whatnot), that would be swell as well.

If you want an Oracle game I'd honestly just get both. They're really good and my favorite of the series. Otherwise if you really only get one, I'd get Ages. There's something about it that feels deeper. Seasons is very similar to the original Legend of Zelda in terms of overworld.

You also miss out on their main gimmick of the passwords and the connecting games if you only get one. You can play them in either order but I'd probably recommend Ages -> Seasons because you get some closure on a side story that while minor is pretty nice.

Since Etrian Odyssey is a really hardcore dungeon-crawling game with focus on the gameplay. I wouldn't say any one game is better than the rest. Though, if you like character development, I suggest the Untold series for it's Story Mode, as the other games do not have this.

Edited by PhantomHanrei

Oracle of Seasons is good for its innovation. Changing the seasons to explore the overworld and find secrets and dungeons. The dungeons start out generic but progressively get more and more interesting. There's little to no plot and focuses more on combat and overworld exploration. Oracle of Ages on the other hand went with the classic time traveling system. It's been done to death, so it wasn't groundbreaking, but executed perfectly. All the dungeons are interesting and there's a lot of story. The overworld feels a little more generic out of the duo, and it focuses more on puzzles than combat.

If you want an action, combat focused game, go with Seasons. If you want a story driven, puzzle focused game, go with Ages. But I suggest both because both are equally great. You need to play both to get the real ending too anyway.

Edited by Shane

If I had to choose between one of the Oracle games I'd choose Ages, simply because I found it not only to have more depth to it, but also the right amount of challenge. Seasons was also really good though, so I'd likely get both while you're at it.

As for Etrian Odyssey, i think Untold is a good place to start what with the Story Mode. It's the remake of the first game -- though I don't think that matters too much. The plot of Etrian Odyssey is make a team and go as far as you can, in that sense all the games are more or less equal.

As an Etrian Odyssey fan, I am compelled to say Etrian Odyssey Untold. But as I haven't played either of the Oracle games, I can't speak for those.

In all seriousness, if you enjoy the type of game EO is (the type of gameplay that EO has, and a stronger focus on gameplay than the story or characters) then I think you should definitely give EO:U a try. The story mode is all right, and I liked it far more than I thought it would, and I'd suggest playing through it first if you want to unlock everything or use everyone.

Edited by Sunwoo

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is on sale for less than $6 right now. You should get that one as well, as it's the most polished pre-DS Zelda game.

Yeah, TMC is my favorite handheld Zelda, personally. :3

Out of Ages and Seasons though, I preferred the latter. Seasons is more combat based while Ages is more about puzzles. I enjoy both combat and puzzles, but imo, Ages just got too hard and confusing for me. The combat Seasons has is plain fun and it still has its own share of puzzles. Also, I'm not into time travel. But seasons? I like seasons. ^^

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is on sale for less than $6 right now. You should get that one as well, as it's the most polished pre-DS Zelda game.

Argh. I wish I could but I don't have the Wii U unfortunately. I honestly would have if I was able to.

Also, I'm not into time travel. But seasons? I like seasons. ^^

You could say changing the seasons is "time-traveling" since seasons make up the years. Just a joke, though.

You could say changing the seasons is "time-traveling" since seasons make up the years. Just a joke, though.

Mind. Blown.

Seasons and Ages are so good! It's absurd how many times I played those games. I did Ages->Seasons->Seasons->Ages and Seasons->Ages->Ages->Seasons.

(When you complete both games, you get a password that lets you start off a new file with a triforce symbol next to it. I think you might start with a sword and maybe an extra heart when you do that, and you can continue to use your ring secret.)

BUT I DIDN'T BEAT THE HERO MAZES :(

Edited by Severlan