Fire Emblem Fates Skills Thread

Hiya, just a few questions about skills in-game

1) If I have a unit with Cut Through and Deadly Breath, which one of the two activates first if I attack through CUT? I feel that the wyvern class became really strategic in Fates given some of their really interesting skills and just wondered whether cutting through will allow me (or the enemy for that matter, especially in Lunatic mode) to cause some damage to units further away.

2) I'm planning to raise an army of kunai/shuriken users which probably would include generics once I get my hands on the English Copy so that I can ninja my way through some of the enemy encounters just for fun. Given that one can capture any generic units (barring those from special classes) with Zero/Niles or Orochi, does that mean I can have access to units with Negative Chain (which I won't be able to have access otherwise since it's normally locked to certain enemies) that can stack debuff on enemies?

3) Question within spoiler tag

I've noticed an enemy with the following (atrocious) skillset on a certain Conquest Lunatic playthrough.

post-20028-0-85494300-1451205281_thumb.png

Do the two skills (apart from Negative Chain) stack? If so, does this mean if I can somehow get on one of my units Snake Venom, Deadly Breath and Four Fangs I can cut 60% HP off of the enemy unit I've engaged AND 20% HP off of enemies within 2 squares of that unit?

(Multiple Edits are due to me trying to work with spoiler tags and attachments for the very first time)

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) I'm planning to raise an army of kunai/shuriken users which probably would include generics once I get my hands on the English Copy so that I can ninja my way through some of the enemy encounters just for fun. Given that one can capture any generic units (barring those from special classes) with Zero/Niles or Orochi, does that mean I can have access to units with Negative Chain (which I won't be able to have access otherwise since it's normally locked to certain enemies) that can stack debuff on enemies?

3) Question within spoiler tag

I've noticed an enemy with the following (atrocious) skillset on a certain Conquest Lunatic playthrough.

attachicon.gifbadassninja.png

Do the two skills (apart from Negative Chain) stack? If so, does this mean if I can somehow get on one of my units Snake Venom, Deadly Breath and Four Fangs I can cut 60% HP off of the enemy unit I've engaged AND 20% HP off of enemies within 2 squares of that unit?

(Multiple Edits are due to me trying to work with spoiler tags and attachments for the very first time)

When you capture an enemy with an unobtainable skill, the skill disappears. 'Tis a shame.

However, Deadly Breath, Four Fangs, Snake Venom, and Play Time all stack. Unlike the enemy, however, the player can't get Four Fangs on a unit who isn't a wolf or fox. This means it is pretty much only possible with the second gen unless you purchase skills for Flannel and Nishiki.

Hiya, just a few questions about skills in-game

1) If I have a unit with Cut Through and Deadly Breath, which one of the two activates first if I attack through CUT? I feel that the wyvern class became really strategic in Fates given some of their really interesting skills and just wondered whether cutting through will allow me (or the enemy for that matter, especially in Lunatic mode) to cause some damage to units further away.

Watching the DLC on Lunatic (the awakening one), the poison goes first, then the cut

Use Eternal Seals, but if you don't, then yes, you can't gain skills if you can't Level up.

Or well, you could buy them from logbook and/or other players

Meh.... so basically if you end up wanting to rebuild something you have to practically restart. I didn't like Awakening's infinite leveling but I also don't like this either. I really wish they would come up with a more elegant way to do skills.

Meh.... so basically if you end up wanting to rebuild something you have to practically restart. I didn't like Awakening's infinite leveling but I also don't like this either. I really wish they would come up with a more elegant way to do skills.

An Eternal Seal isn't "restarting". It just pushes the level cap up and you can keep gaining skills. It's actually really painless.

An Eternal Seal isn't "restarting". It just pushes the level cap up and you can keep gaining skills. It's actually really painless.

Nothing in my post indicates that I think that. I already said at 40 - this is assuming you've built someone. If you hit 40 and you decide to change things up you have to restart the game.

Nothing in my post indicates that I think that. I already said at 40 - this is assuming you've built someone. If you hit 40 and you decide to change things up you have to restart the game.

Isn't that true regardless of what the skill system is? If anything, it's much easier to "rebuild" a character's skillset in Fates than in other RPGS because after level 35 every skill can be learned in 1-4 level ups. You could keep Corrin a Dark Blood until level 35 and then use two Parallel Seals to have a completely different skillset by level 40. If you reach 40, it just takes one Eternal Seal and you can learn 5 more.

I was just unsure of what you thought was inelegant. I don't mean to fight. The system isn't perfect, but the potential to quickly respec/rebuild is actually the best thing about it.

Edited by gayserbeam

Isn't that true regardless of what the skill system is? If anything, it's much easier to "rebuild" a character's skillset in Fates than in other RPGS because after level 35 every skill can be learned in 1-4 level ups. You could keep Corrin a Dark Blood until level 35 and then use two Parallel Seals to have a completely different skillset by level 40. If you reach 40, it just takes one Eternal Seal and you can learn 5 more.

I was just unsure of what you thought was inelegant. I don't mean to fight. The system isn't perfect, but the potential to quickly respec/rebuild is actually the best thing about it.

I"m comparing it to Awakening. With infinite reclassing/leveling you can level anything you want and put every skill available on the unit if you want. My understanding was that 40 was the max level *with* eternal seals?

There is no max level with eternal seals

None that we've found yet anyway, there's probably a hardcoded one due to programming limitations, but that's probably not a real concern for now

Ahh ok. Must have been reading something outdated. Well then, that actually does make it easier to learn skills.

I was under the impression that the displayed maximum level is 99. After that point, eternal seals simply queue up the ability for a character to level up 5 more times. As such, you can level up and gain new skills infinitely, although being ten levels past 99 is equal to being level 99 in every regard.

It's a simple and elegant way to program in levels without a hard limit due to memory limitations. I personally am very fond of the system.

Edited by Deallocate

I was under the impression that the displayed maximum level is 99. After that point, eternal seals simply queue up the ability for a character to level up 5 more times. As such, you can level up and gain new skills infinitely, although being ten levels past 99 is equal to being level 99 in every regard.

It's a simple and elegant way to program in levels without a hard limit due to memory limitations. I personally am very fond of the system.

Yes, but it is possible that the game is tracking levels past the displayed amount, so there may be an actual cap at, like, 255. AFAIK nobody has actually found one, and I do not have the patience to find one myself, but it's absolutely possible.

Regardless, the cap is unimportant, since all your stats will be capped before 60 in 90% of cases, and you'd have to really fudge it to not have your skills down by level 255.

Edited by gayserbeam

Yeah I was basing it off of old information. These long 40 page+ type threads make it difficult to keep up. I actually really like the system now that I know you can keep using eternal seals. It actually reduces the grinding you have to do for new skills a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me, but does Shining Bow/Shinrai Naginata/Bolt Axe/Levin Sword/Explosive Shuriken and Felicia's Ice Tray do affect the other Faire skills when using magic damage boost like this in if/Fates.?

Strength +5 when equipped with a Physical Weapon(Magic +5 when equipped with Magical Weapon).?

Excuse me, but does Shining Bow/Shinrai Naginata/Bolt Axe/Levin Sword/Explosive Shuriken and Felicia's Ice Tray do affect the other Faire skills when using magic damage boost like this in if/Fates.?

Strength +5 when equipped with a Physical Weapon(Magic +5 when equipped with Magical Weapon).?

In Fates, -faire skills do not boost Strength or Magic. They simply boost damage dealt. As such, both physical and magical weapons will always receive a power boost if they qualify for the skill activation.

Slightly different than in Awakening, but it functions similarly.

In Fates, -faire skills do not boost Strength or Magic. They simply boost damage dealt. As such, both physical and magical weapons will always receive a power boost if they qualify for the skill activation.

Slightly different than in Awakening, but it functions similarly.

Ah I see.!

Question about the skill Draconic Shield. Let's say it is equipped to character A who has 50 luck, and is standing next to character B who has 10 luck, now character B gets attacked. Does Draconic Shield have a 25% chance of activating, or a 5% chance of activating?

And if Draconic Shield activates, is it possible for another damage reducing skill like Aegis/Pavise to still activate the same turn reducing damage even further?

And can either character having Lucky Charm affect its chance of activation?

Edited by Amanroth

Question about the skill Draconic Shield. Let's say it is equipped to character A who has 50 luck, and is standing next to character B who has 10 luck, now character B gets attacked. Does Draconic Shield have a 25% chance of activating, or a 5% chance of activating?

And if Draconic Shield activates, is it possible for another damage reducing skill like Aegis/Pavise to still activate the same turn reducing damage even further?

And can either character having Lucky Charm affect its chance of activation?

Draconic Shield's activation rate is based on the equipped unit's Luck stat.

Since this is a trigger skill, and based on the fact that you can't stack Aether and Astra as far as offense goes, you most likely can't stack both Draconic Shield and Pavise/Aegis.

And since Draconic Shield's activation rate affects the equipped unit, it will take account of THAT unit's activation rate boosters (Lucky Charm, Hoshido, Flamboyant).

Yes you can heal your own puppet, and I do believe Servant's Joy stacks.

Ah I see.

Got a another question.

Do the debuffs from hidden weapons stack with debuffs from skills (such as draconic curse or speed seal) or do they just apply the most powerfull effect?

Thanks in advance.

Ah I see.

Got a another question.

Do the debuffs from hidden weapons stack with debuffs from skills (such as draconic curse or speed seal) or do they just apply the most powerfull effect?

Thanks in advance.

Debuffs do not stack (except self inflicted debuffs)

The larger debuff overwrites the smaller one

E.G.

>Is hit by Iron Shuriken, Mag-2, Def -3, Res -3

>Draconic Seal applies, everything becomes -4

>Defense Seal applies, Defense becomes -6, everything else stays at -4

They stack if the inflicting unit has negative chain, but that's a bit of a drag and all

Edited by CocoaGalaxy