The Vanguard of Cheviel - Mercenary RP Interest Thread

Rapier

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh. thing.

Name: Ava Graves

Appearance: tba (spriting takes a while)

I'm lazy so I'll give a brief physical description anyway:

Ava is about 5'6", weighing 140 Lbs. She's lean, and has only the most basic muscle definition going on. Otherwise, she's got a bit of an hourglass shape, without much fleshed out because of her weight. Her face still retains some baby fat, giving it the slightest amount of puff, but otherwise, she has a rather nicely shaped jawline. Her eyes aren't too large, and shine a rather deep red, giving off a mysterious allure. She has rather bright blond hair, that accentuates her slightly tanned skin well.

She has a well put together set of armor, mostly leather that she tanned with her father. It connects to a few plates of metal, that keep her vital areas covered. When she isn't wearing armor, she tends to sport rather revealing outfits-- combinations of short sleeved shirts and shorts --, but this comes from living in the woods and wanting to keep cool, rather than any want to display herself.

Personality: Ava is flirty and friendly, liking to gel well with groups. She keeps her strong opinions to herself, and isn't afraid to lie to stay on good terms with people, rather than confront and start an argument. Not that she'd back down if she got into one; she's still confident in what she believes. She simply doesn't wish to expend the effort an argument would take, if the topic was difficult enough. Outside of social conventions, she isn't one to shirk duty, and will listen to orders, as long as they aren't going to get her killed (or what she perceives will). Those are a bit more difficult to convince her of.

Skills: Ava is good at hunting, swordplay, and using a crossbow. She hasn't received any formal training on how to swing a sword about, but she knows the balance well enough to not throw herself with it when she swings. Would probably get bested by a trained knight, or perhaps even a squire, but against a bandit swinging it around with the same reckless abandon, she'll do fine. The crossbow is what she excels in, having been taught how to use one to hunt.

For cooking, she knows how to cook what she's killed in the past, but nothing special past that. Her stamina is fine, else she wouldn't have been able to hunt at all, and she plays poker, and other card games, when she has free time. Games of chance always excite her.

Gear: A simple iron sword, her father helped her put together when she left. A wooden, metal reinforced crossbow, constantly taken care of. A breastplate was all she could afford for armor, when she left. Simple hunting supplies are the only other things she owns. A knife, some rope, some wire and pouches, for water and meats.

Bio: Ava and her family grew up in the woods near the kingdom of Cheviel. That is to say, they were lumberers. Her father chopped wood and supplied it, along with a few other families in the area, for the capitol, and they lived simple lives there. From a young age, as soon as she was big enough to hold a crossbow properly, her father taught her how to hunt and help take care of the cabin, making sure she got the most out of the little they had. She'd managed to tag her first deer at sixteen, not needing her father's help when hunting by the age of eighteen. As well at that age, her father began to bring her in to do business with the kingdom, getting her some much needed social interaction and knowledge to try running things when he eventually passed on.

But the lumber business wasn't one for Ava. She was a skilled hunter, and did fine in business, but she wasn't that strong, nor did she have a want to be. What she wanted was to see how far that skill with firing bolts would take her, whether it led to simple jobs, or some amount of fame and fortune. At twenty one, she left home, much to the chagrin of her father, and made for the island of Maeine. Mercenary work seemed appealing; the premise did, at least, and it was good money. Money she could bring back home to help her father, because he wouldn't be able to chop would his whole life. And if something else came of it? Well, maybe she'd find a small page in the history books... But maybe that's her dreaming just a bit too big.

Edited by I have opinions

Approved.

With the schedule, I think the RP will be ready to start this Friday or, at the very worst, Saturday. I'm also going to finish the sign-ups for founder characters, draw a map for the fort and make an introductory post for the RP, which will take place in another thread.

so Rapier o3o

Sorry, I had a huge creative block and lacked motivation. I saw it better to give Crysta more time to return and participate in the RP from the beginning, so I thought it was ok to delay.

I'm not sure I can handle a 8 players RP, but I'm willing to see it out. You guys can make a sign-up.

But I'm ending subscriptions after the 8 players quota has been met.

tbh if you're not sure you can handle 8 i'd say wait and see if you can handle 6, and then let them in later if you can handle more :V

but that's just meeeeeee.

not like i have any experience running an RP

at all.

True, it seems more reasonable to do so. Wow I'm dumb for not recognizing something so simple.

Sorry, but I'm ending sign-ups now. If I see I can handle 7 players (I forgot about Trent's char, oh well), I'll open sign-ups again.

And here's the second founder. The third won't need a sign-up sheet filled so soon because he'll appear later. With this, I can start the RP, which I'll do either later this day or tomorrow morning (so, between 6 hours or 15 hours from now)

Name: Simeon

Appearance: A tall but slender man, whose legs and arms are curiously more muscular than his other parts. His brown hair is short and cut very close to the head, and his eyes are also brown. He has a bony complexion, with his cheekbones and nose bones visible through his skin, and equally bony fingers, all these features making him seem older than he actually is. He wears a dark green robe and a brown cape with a cloak, dark brown pants and simple, leather shoes.

Personality: A down-to-earth, polite and analytical man who values prudence and caution in his job, often as a counterbalance to Blair's impulsiveness. He seems pessimistic to those who hear his words, and oftenly he speaks exactly what is on his mind without bothering to sweeten his words when asked for his opinion, which is why he prefers to keep them for himself and agree to disagree whenever possible. Tries to keep civility and harmony in the group by advocating for what generally seems the most moderate choice and the best for all the parties, even if he does not particularly agree.

Skills: Knows how to swim well and manages to hold his breath for around two minutes; is knowledgeable about the different plants, herbs, their effects and where to find them, as well as how to brew them into potions or even make tea; is average at cooking, but he's at least capable of avoiding poisoning his peers; is well versed in magic, but chose to study the mechanics of staves instead, which he's very skilled with; knows fishing, but does so as a hobby.

Gear: A pouch with medicinal herbs for emergencies, as well as potions for worse cases, with varying effects. Carries a simple healing staff with him, which he takes a lot of care to not overuse or damage, despite seeming fresh new. When he is deployed into battle, he brings a long, white staff, worn out with scratches all the way to the bottom, which he uses for healing over a greater distance than ordinary staves.

Bio: Born in a small village in the island of Maeine, the middle child between his older brother and his younger sister, Simeon lived in a simple yet peaceful environment, with just enough to dress and eat and a simple roof above his head.

His mother was known in the village as a herbalist who knew the location of every plant and herb around the village and their effects, whereas his father was a forager and hunter who searched for the ingredients for the medicines and sold whatever else he found. Simeon and his sister helped their mother by tending to the patients with her for most of their childhood, while his older brother went with his father to forage and hunt. Seeing the village folk search for her help and watching the proccess that rid them from their diseases seemed like a noble profession for the young boy, who then vowed to himself to learn that "miracle", an interest which his mother was quick to notice and foment. When he was older, he assisted his father with the foraging, but most of his time was spent in the room his mother took her patients, where sometimes he diagnosed the patients and treated them by himself.

When he was not at work nor playing around with his friends, Simeon would go to the inns where minstrels, sailors, bards and gleemen visited from time to time, sharing stories of cities bigger than he could ever think about; wars between kingdoms long gone from the maps and heroes as old or older than the present kingdoms; intrigues, conspiracy theories and politics within the heart of the empire; and tales of mythical creatures living below the sea and emerging to engage in irrealistic battles against sailors, who then bragged at the table about their obviously false feats. Nevertheless, these stories made his eyes shine.

It made him decide to travel between the nearby villages and towns to sell his medicines and tend to the sick for a price, then return and help his family with part of his earnings. When his mother died from a sickness no one at the present could prevent, he packed and left his home village to the bigger towns to the far corner of the island. His plans did not go well, for he ended each day with just enough to get himself a roof and food, but he felt it was worth it.

Eventually, the situation in Cheviel worsened with the King's death and the rise of a new heir. Security tightened in the bigger towns where he sold his trade, whereas the smaller towns and villages had small garrisons, sometimes composed by abusive guards who, he watched, spent more time drinking and playing games at the inns than patroling and fending bandits off. When he traveled back to his home village, he saw it burned and without a living soul to tell the tale. The surrounding villages - the ones that were still intact, told him about bandits and pirates roaming the area, and refugees from other villages who ran for the better protected cities. He searched for his siblings and father for weeks to no avail, never finding any clue about their whereabouts.

Moved by his remorse for being unable to help his siblings, as well as a relatively recent sense of justice and autruism moved by his regret, he decided to join the military in order to prevent such accidents from happening and do something for his country. A few years later, he was transfered to a fort in Maiene where a garrison protected the island from invaders and pirates. It was also there where he met Blair, who he saved from drowning when their fleet was crushed and they were forced to jump from their ships or die by the enemy's hand. Both were discontent with the army's command and eventually decided to leave in order to start their own company.

Edited by Rapier

Uhh, sorry if it's a bit vague compared to the others...

I can edit anything you need me to.

EDIT: i'm too late

i cry

Edited by Chigai

Sorry, but I'm ending sign-ups now. If I see I can handle 7 players (I forgot about Trent's char, oh well), I'll open sign-ups again.

methinks this was missed

but hold onto the character for later, obviously.

Edited by I have opinions

That's fine. Good luck! : )

Uhh, sorry if it's a bit vague compared to the others...

I can edit anything you need me to.

EDIT: i'm too late

i cry

You didn't need to delete your sign-up. I'm going to accept players later, if I see I can manage a RP with that many people. I'll warn in the topic title when sign-ups are available again, if you still wish to join then.

Sorry, but if I were to accept so many people like that I could screw up badly with the RP.