"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

I assume that just like in previous Fire Emblem games, if you lose your Avatar/Lord character on the battlefield it's an automatic game over. Does this extend to other characters as well (namely Azura)?

I think that you only get game overs with Azura is Classic mode, but I may be wrong.

And about Phoenix Mode (just out of curiosity's sake), how exactly does it work? I know that when a character gets defeated they return with full(?) health the next turn, but what exactly happens? Do they gray out or disappear off the battlefield? And when they revive, is it at the spot they were defeated or do they respawn elsewhere? And relating with the above question, I heard rumors that you don't get typical game overs in Phoenix Mode; is this true?

If a unit dies in Phoenix Mode, they return next turn with full health. They simply disappear as they would when they normally die but then kind of teleport back in the same place they died. I believe in order to game over in Phoenix you need to loose all your units in one turn.

Thank you so much! I've been trying to find gameplay footage of Phoenix mode, but nobody has posted a video of "this is how it works" and it's really hard to watch actual gameplay without receiving too many spoilers. Thanks again :)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What chapter gives you the ability to put a prison in your My Castle in Conquest?

It's right there in Serenes Forest. It's chapter 8. The chapter number required to obtain buildings is the same in all three routes.

I assume that just like in previous Fire Emblem games, if you lose your Avatar/Lord character on the battlefield it's an automatic game over. Does this extend to other characters as well (namely Azura)?

She is treated like any other unit. She'll be gone if her HP ever reaches 0 (not dying in the plot notwithstanding), but it's not a game over.

The only character that will give you a game over if they die is your avatar, and only in classic mode.

The only character that will give you a game over if they die is your avatar, and only in classic mode.

Wait, so it's not like Awakening where losing Chrom or the Avatar is a game over even on Casual? Is the Fates Avatar even required on all the maps?

I apologize If these questions are annoying. Im really clueless when it comes to video games.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was how are bow units in this game compared to awakening. The removal of crossbows and the mediocre map design made archers next to useless IMO.

I apologize If these questions are annoying. Im really clueless when it comes to video games.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was how are bow units in this game compared to awakening. The removal of crossbows and the mediocre map design made archers next to useless IMO.

Archers are pretty useful on Conquest, due to the amount of pegasi in Hoshido. They can also be useful in Birthright, but they'll always be outshined if their name isn't Takumi or Kisaragi.

Wait, so it's not like Awakening where losing Chrom or the Avatar is a game over even on Casual? Is the Fates Avatar even required on all the maps?

I believe the Avatar is required on all story chapters.

Someone else already answered, but I'm not sure how the removal of crossbows made archers next to useless when crossbows themselves were virtually useless, short of a few instances...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Bows (along with magic) are some of the best ranged weapons you can use because they don't suffer from severe penalties such as being unable to crit/proc skills or making yourself vulnerable to getting double attacked. Bows can also insta-gib fliers (there's only one wind spell in the game and it's rare), being particularly useful against Pegasi because of a WTA.

The Avatar is also required on all Paralogues, for that matter

Also I'd imagine losing the Avatar on casual would render some of the maps unwinnable

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Just like in Awakening, the hero's death will cause a Game Over even on Casual. Corrin can die without penalty on Phoenix Mode however.

Azura can die like everyone else, but she just gets severely injuered and shows up in cutscenes like important characters always do.

Someone else already answered, but I'm not sure how the removal of crossbows made archers next to useless when crossbows themselves were virtually useless, short of a few instances...

In Radiant Dawn, crossbows have high raw might (to make up for the fact that it ignores user strength), making the bonus against fliers incredibly high. They're useless against non-fliers, though.

is Ignis a great character to have, as for his personality, supports, and his Character role in Nohr, and Invisible Kingdom/Touma path.?

Generals are good, so by extension, Ignis is good. Personaliy-wise, he's like Benoit, but the focus is on his being easily scared more than his appearance. As with all children, there's no difference between Ignis in Nohr and IK.

I have seen cases where the avatar dies in casual, but there's no game over though

Regarding the victory conditions, for starters I would like to say that the developers were really ....weird when it comes to them. Sigh

Aside from that, while I have not tested it myself, I appear to recall that maps like H12/N12 require the avatar though

(The ordinary seize maps can be seized by anyone)

In Radiant Dawn, crossbows have high raw might (to make up for the fact that it ignores user strength), making the bonus against fliers incredibly high. They're useless against non-fliers, though.

Well, the problem with that is that most of the fliers in RD are wyverns, which crossbows don't do jack against. I'd find it hard to justify a weapon that only really works against targets that you'd likely one-hit with a normal bow anyhow (barring Beastfoe shenanigans). That said, about the only things crossbows were good for in RD were Disarm and combining with Beastfoe.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Generals are good, so by extension, Ignis is good. Personaliy-wise, he's like Benoit, but the focus is on his being easily scared more than his appearance. As with all children, there's no difference between Ignis in Nohr and IK.

Ahh, okay I think, I'll get used to him, when I pair Benoit with Rinka together in IK, when the ENG Patch Translation is finished.! ^ ___^

Just like in Awakening, the hero's death will cause a Game Over even on Casual. Corrin can die without penalty on Phoenix Mode however.

I've had Corrin die on Lunatic/Casual sooo many times without a game over, though. The only time I've had a game over on casual due to Corrin's death is when she/he's been the only unit left on the map. Unless my game's glitched, I'm certain Corrin's death only causes a game over on classic.

I've had Corrin die on Lunatic/Casual sooo many times without a game over, though. The only time I've had a game over on casual due to Corrin's death is when she/he's been the only unit left on the map. Unless my game's glitched, I'm certain Corrin's death only causes a game over on classic.

Yup. Just tried it myself and you're right. On the map I tested it on the first time, Corrin was the only unit, hence the brain fart. Never played the full game in anything but Classic.

Odd change to make, as that makes it really hard to lose Casual maps without a total wipeout.

Is my strategy just awful or is there a way to actually route all the enemies on Birthright Ch.12 Hard Mode?

[spoiler=Enemies]Between the Great Knights, Marx, and Ganon Stats I'm beginning to think I'm best off just trying to kite and escape, but I really want that exp! (And the pleasure of actually winning duels between beloved sibling and his retainers)

I wanted to make a character who is strong at half health. So I was thinking:

Awakening

Vantage

Astra

And... some other stuff. What other skills would compliment this? Ogre Strike? Vengeance?

Is my strategy just awful or is there a way to actually route all the enemies on Birthright Ch.12 Hard Mode?

[spoiler=Enemies]Between the Great Knights, Marx, and Ganon Stats I'm beginning to think I'm best off just trying to kite and escape, but I really want that exp! (And the pleasure of actually winning duels between beloved sibling and his retainers)

Well, fighting Xander isn't completely impossible, but it'll take some strategizing and/or stats.

I'm not entirely sure who's the best and the specifics though...

Garon is practically impossible to beat, I would think.

The rest of the enemies shouldn't be too difficult

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

So you can lose Avatar in Casual without getting a game over... little sad about that.

But anyway, thank you all for your answers and willingness to check my questions ingame! :3