"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

I wouldn't be surprised if this question has already been asked before, but here it goes anyway:

Does the Steel Bow truly decrease effective speed by 3 points, or is it more? I have a Niles with 22 speed, equipped with the Steel Bow, and for whatever reason he cannot double this enemy Berserker who has 16 speed and is equipped with a Steel Axe. Said Berserker does not have Wary Fighter. There was another instance where Niles had 21 speed, equipped with the Steel Bow, and he couldn't double an enemy Fighter, again equipped with a Steel Axe, but only had 14 speed instead. Like all steel weapons, the Steel Bow says it decreases effective speed by 3, but as I've explained, that cannot be the case, else in these two instances my Niles would have doubled these two enemies

Working as intended. You can double an enemy if your (effective) SPD is at least 5 points higher than theirs. 22 - 3 - 16 = 3, so you won't double. Likewise, 21 - 3 - 14 = 4, so you won't double there either.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working as intended. You can double an enemy if your (effective) SPD is at least 5 points higher than theirs. 22 - 3 - 16 = 3, so you won't double. Likewise, 21 - 3 - 14 = 4, so you won't double there either.

Does the speed penalty from steel weapons not apply if the unit engages in combat during their opponent's phase? I could have sworn it does

Edited by DodgeDusk

Does the speed penalty from steel weapons not apply if the unit engages in combat during their opponent's phase? I could have sworn it does

It does. Keep in mind that the steel weapon penalty does not make it easier for the enemy to double attack you.

On a different note, how do people make those EZ sieze my castles with only mozu? whenever i try to do that, the game auto-adds other cheracters to the party. The game seems to say that auto-adding will be disabled if i disable auto-updating, but this does not seem to help.

It does. Keep in mind that the steel weapon penalty does not make it easier for the enemy to double attack you.

On a different note, how do people make those EZ sieze my castles with only mozu? whenever i try to do that, the game auto-adds other cheracters to the party. The game seems to say that auto-adding will be disabled if i disable auto-updating, but this does not seem to help.

You just need to make sure that autoupdates are disabled.

-Lilith's Temple cannot be built and Puppets and Golems cannot be deployed.

-Only unit deployed is a lv. 1 Mozu with only her base stats (often an Einherjar) or a lv. 1 bond unit with only base stats. Naturally, the unit is unarmed and has its tactics set to Hold.

-No Dragon statues (wastes time)

-Make sure a building or a resource gathering spot is as close to the entrance (usually the southern one) as possible so that you can deploy that unit there.

You just need to make sure that autoupdates are disabled.

-Lilith's Temple cannot be built and Puppets and Golems cannot be deployed.

-Only unit deployed is a lv. 1 Mozu with only her base stats (often an Einherjar) or a lv. 1 bond unit with only base stats. Naturally, the unit is unarmed and has its tactics set to Hold.

-No Dragon statues (wastes time)

-Make sure a building or a resource gathering spot is as close to the entrance (usually the southern one) as possible so that you can deploy that unit there.

I did all that, and it still seems to "pad" my party out.

Have you made sure to select "Proceed" once you have the castle team all set up?

I did, and it seems to work (i can even use "check defences" and the castle works right), but it pads my team out as soon as I update data.

EDIT: it now seems to work, even though i did nothing different as far as i can tell

Edt 2: And now its padding out my party again. I'm really confused

Edited by sirmola

When is the best time to tackle the child paralogues in Birthright specifically? This goes also for Conquest and Revelation since I plan to play those after. I just did the Kana paralogue, after having finished chapter 22 of the main story, and I had quite some trouble with it and barely survived at times. For future playthroughs, at what point in the game do you suggest to do the child paralogues? I play on hard classic by the way.

Edited by Quirino

When is the best time to tackle the child paralogues in Birthright specifically? This goes also for Conquest and Revelation since I plan to play those after. I just did the Kana paralogue, after having finished chapter 22 of the main story, and I had quite some trouble with it and barely survived at times. For future playthroughs, at what point in the game do you suggest to do the child paralogues? I play on hard classic by the way.

Between chapters 15 and 18, since you'll have promoted units, but the enemy won't.

NOTE: On Revelations, the last of the fathers won't join you until the one-two punch of chapters 16 and 17.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused if that's the case. In the two scenarios I gave, both enemies were also using steel weapons, therefore the difference between my Niles' speed stat and the two enemies' speed stats in both scenarios would have been the same as if they all weren't using steel weapons--no speed impediment. Niles had 21 speed against the unit with 14 speed--a difference of 7--and 22 against the unit with 16 speed--a difference of 6. If they were all suffering from -3 speed, the difference in speed would be the same. So theoretically Niles should double both enemies. But he couldn't. I'm asking if there's an explanation for that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an incredibly obvious one. But nothing is coming into my head right now.. The only other thing I can say is that both enemies did not have the Wary Fighter skill.

I also asked two of my friends about this prior to posting this question here, and the two of them couldn't provide an explanation for me. It's got us all stumped.

Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused if that's the case. In the two scenarios I gave, both enemies were also using steel weapons, therefore the difference between my Niles' speed stat and the two enemies' speed stats in both scenarios would have been the same as if they all weren't using steel weapons--no speed impediment. Niles had 21 speed against the unit with 14 speed--a difference of 7--and 22 against the unit with 16 speed--a difference of 6. If they were all suffering from -3 speed, the difference in speed would be the same. So theoretically Niles should double both enemies. But he couldn't. I'm asking if there's an explanation for that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an incredibly obvious one. But nothing is coming into my head right now.. The only other thing I can say is that both enemies did not have the Wary Fighter skill.

I also asked two of my friends about this prior to posting this question here, and the two of them couldn't provide an explanation for me. It's got us all stumped.

Basically, if you're using a Steel weapon, you need 8 more speed over your opponent to double attack them (due to -3 effective speed [which is strictly for offensive purposes] - if you have 20 speed and are using a steel weapon, your effective speed is 17). And again, Steel weapons don't make it easier to get double attacked.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Basically, if you're using a Steel weapon, you need 8 more speed over your opponent to double attack them (due to -3 effective speed [which is strictly for offensive purposes] - if you have 20 speed and are using a steel weapon, your effective speed is 17). And again, Steel weapons don't make it easier to get double attacked.

So the -3 speed from steel weapons only applies when you initiate the attack, is that what you're saying? So if a unit with 20 speed had a steel weapon equipped and was attacked, they'd have 20 effective speed during the battle? That's the conclusion I came to originally, but I was told from two different people that wasn't the case, which is what confused me.

Edited by DodgeDusk

So the -3 speed from steel weapons only applies when you initiate the attack, is that what you're saying? So if a unit with 20 speed had a steel weapon equipped and was attacked, they'd have 20 effective speed during the battle? That's the conclusion I came to originally, but I was told from two different people that wasn't the case, which is what confused me.

Nope - I was saying it affects the ability to double, albeit the wording could've been better.

Basically, the -3 effective speed doesn't apply for the battle, but only for the calculation of whether you double attack or not, regardless of whether you are the attacker or defender. It also does not apply to the calculation of whether your opponent double attacks or not, only to your own.

You need 5+ more speed than your opponent to make follow-up attacks. 5+ is the (default) threshold. Changes to effective speed change the threshold. There are weapons that can change the effective speed of yourself, or your opponent, and some that negate your ability to follow-up. As effective speed only effects the threshold, changes to effective speed do not affect your avoid stat.

If you are equipped with a steel weapon for example(-3 effective speed) you need 8+ speed more than the target to follow-up, because the threshold was increased. If you have a raider weapon equipped(+3 effective speed), you only need 2+ more speed than the opponent to follow-up.

Note that increasing or decreasing your own effective speed does not decrease or increase the opponent's follow-up threshold. This is because changing your own threshold does not affect your opponent's threshold. Some weapons, such as the hand axe, however, state that they make YOU more susceptible to follow-up attacks. These weapons affect the opponent's threshold, changing how much more speed than you they need in order to double attack.

Pay attention to whether a weapon says it makes follow-up attacks easier, more difficult, or is weak to them. There are no weapons that make it harder for your opponent to reach their threshold.

Finally, there is the S rank Tome Excalibur. Excalibur reduces the threshold for BOTH you AND your opponent by 5. This means both you and your opponent need 0+ more speed to double attack. If one character has more speed than the other, the one with more speed will follow-up. If both characters have the same speed, BOTH will follow-up, because the threshold for both sides will be met.

As shown by the case with Excalibur, both you and your opponent can double attack on the same action regardless of whose turn it is. Unless a character has the Darting Blow skill equipped, follow-up attack calculations are not affected by who initiates the attack.

This should cover everything related to the topic. If you need more examples or clarification, I can provide them if you ask.

Edited by ToP

Thanks to all who responded. Most of it finally makes sense now.

Note that increasing or decreasing your own effective speed does not decrease or increase the opponent's follow-up threshold. This is because changing your own threshold does not affect your opponent's threshold. Some weapons, such as the hand axe, however, state that they make YOU more susceptible to follow-up attacks. These weapons affect the opponent's threshold, changing how much more speed than you they need in order to double attack.

Just want utmost clarification on this: if a unit wielding, say, the Hand Axe, had the same speed as an opponent who wasn't wielding a weapon that altered the follow-up threshold for themselves, the opponent would double, correct? Also, if the Hand Axe-wielding unit had a single point of speed higher than the aforementioned opponent, then the opponent wouldn't double. Is that true?

Thanks to all who responded. Most of it finally makes sense now.

Just want utmost clarification on this: if a unit wielding, say, the Hand Axe, had the same speed as an opponent who wasn't wielding a weapon that altered the follow-up threshold for themselves, the opponent would double, correct? Also, if the Hand Axe-wielding unit had a single point of speed higher than the aforementioned opponent, then the opponent wouldn't double. Is that true?

Correct. Say there are two units with 20 SPD each, and one attacks the other with the Hand Axe. As the Hand Axe gives +5 to the opponent's effective speed, the opponent has 25 speed in the calculation of whether he can double attack. This is 5 more than the first unit's speed, so the opponent gets to double.

After a character gets 20+ kills, a statue can be built. This statue raises the cap in a particular stat. Once that character gets enough kills, that statue can be upgraded to silver, which affects that unit's support partners that it has a C+ rank with, and gold, which raises the cap for all units. (You need 50 for silver and 100 for gold)

Also, this page tells you which statues raise which stats.

Thanks!

(I'm a bit late :p)

Do all the capturable Paralogue bosses start off promoted? If not, which ones do, and after which chapter do the others promote?

Do all the capturable Paralogue bosses start off promoted? If not, which ones do, and after which chapter do the others promote?

Most of them are indeed prepromotes. From what I've heard, only Zhara (from Soleil's) and Gazak (from Forrest's) can start off unpromoted though I'm not sure which chapters they promote at (though they're certainly already promoted at Ch. 18).

Edited by Roflolxp54

Most of them are indeed prepromotes. From what I've heard, only Zhara (from Soleil's) and Gazak (from Forrest's) can start off unpromoted though I'm not sure which chapters they promote at (though they're certainly already promoted at Ch. 18).

Senno was not promoted, and I did Ophelia's paralogue after chapter 8.

Are eternal seals worth buying near the end game in conquest? I have enough to buy 3 of them for units that have almost reached level 20 and I'm not sure if there are other items that will help me more.

Well Eternal Seals make it easier to hit stat caps if you plan on trying to cap at all. But on Conquest where exp is very limited, might as well not bother with it unless you plan on grinding the exp dlc or plan on making that particular file your main one.