"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What skills might be good to pass down to Elise!Ophelia and Hana!Velouria?

When it comes to skill inheritance, it depends a lot on the fact if you want useful skills (in order to make the child useful a lot sooner/ for convenience's sake) or rather exclusive ones (that you can't get any other way than through skill inheritance) Due to the My Castle "skill buying" feature, it doesn't matter as much which skills you choose, but here I go anyway...

Personally, I recommend using Ophelia as a Sorcerer, with the following skillset:

Class: Sorcerer
-Vantage
-Astra
-Vengeance
-Lifetaker *Inherited from Odin
-Savage Blow *Inherited from Elise (In revelations you might want to A+ with Rhajat to get Quixotic instead)
Since this Ophelia is somewhat of a magical "glass cannon" the vantage and vengeance combo greatly increases her survivability when in a pinch, which might happen when lifetaker isn't able to keep her completely healed up.
[spoiler=Exclusive Skills Ophelia]

Ophelia:

Bibliophile
Heartseeker, Malefic Aura; (Vengeance, Bowbreaker; Seal Magic, Lifetaker)
Duellist Blow, Vantage; (Astra, Swordfaire; Seal Strength, Life and Death)
Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
A+ with Midori: Potent Potion, Quick Salve; (Profiteer, Spendthrift; Golembane, Replicate)
A+ with Soleil: Good Fortune, Strong Riposte; (Sol, Axebreaker; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker)
A+ with Rhajat: Magic +2, Future Sight; (Rally Magic, Tomefaire; Rend Heaven, Quixotic)
S+ with Shigure: Darting Blow, Camaraderie; (Rally Speed, Warding Blow; Air Superiority, Amaterasu)
S+ with Dwyer: Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
S+ with Siegbert: Elbow Room, Shelter; (Defender, Aegis; Luna, Armored Blow)
S+ with Forrest: Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
S+ with Ignatius: Defence +2, Natural Cover; (Wary Fighter, Pavise; Luna, Armored Blow)
S+ with Percy: Strength +2, Lunge; (Rally Defence, Swordbreaker; Savage Blow, Trample)
S+ with Shiro: Seal Defence, Swap; (Seal Speed, Lancefaire; Rend Heaven, Quixotic)
Odin:
Aching Blood
A+ with Leo: Resistance +2, Gentilhomme; (Rally Resistance, Inspiration; Live to Serve, Tomebreaker)
A+ with Niles: Locktouch, Movement +1; (Lucky 7, Pass; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker) Exclusive for Ophelia through inheritance Odin
A+ with Laslow: Good Fortune, Strong Riposte; (Sol, Axebreaker; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker)
S+ with Elise: Resistance +2, Gentilhomme; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
Elise:
Lily's Poise
Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
Strength +2, Lunge; (Rally Defence, Swordbreaker; Savage Blow, Trample)
A+ with Azura: Darting Blow, Camaraderie; (Rally Speed, Warding Blow; Air Superiority, Amaterasu)
A+ with Effia: Defence +2, Natural Cover; (Wary Fighter, Pavise; Luna, Armored Blow)
A+ with Sakura: Miracle, Rally Luck; (Renewal, Counter Magic; Rally Magic, Tomefaire) Exclusive for Ophelia through inheritance Elise
S+ with Odin: Heartseeker, Malefic Aura; (Vengeance, Bowbreaker; Seal Magic, Lifetaker)

Furthermore, I like using Velouria as a Beserker. This is a possible skillset that could work:

Class: Beserker

-Axefaire (*Inherited from Keaton)
-Death Blow (You will have to use the mycastle feature in order to gain the skill in when using this pairing, if not you could change it to a breaker skill like sword or tomebreaker)
-Certain Blow (*Inherited from A+ Support Hana/Setsuna, or *gained from S support Velouria/Kiragi)
-Rend Heaven (*Inherited from A+ Support Keaton/Kaden or Hana through Hana/Keaton or *gained from A+ Velouria/Selkie)
-Galeforce (Through DLC, otherwise you could use Life or Death)

With this skillset she is certain to becomes a true terror on the battlefield

[spoiler=Exclusive Skills Velouria]

Velouria:
Goody Basket
Odd Shaped, Beastbane; (Better Odds, Grisly Wound)
HP +5, Gamble; (Rally Strength, Axefaire; Sol, Axebreaker)
A+ with Sophie: Elbow Room, Shelter; (Defender, Aegis; Luna, Armored Blow)
A+ with Nina: Locktouch, Movement +1; (Lucky 7, Pass; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker)
A+ with Selkie: Magic +2, Future Sight; (Rally Magic, Tomefaire; Rend Heaven, Quixotic)
S+ with Shigure: Darting Blow, Camaraderie; (Rally Speed, Warding Blow; Air Superiority, Amaterasu)
S+ with Dwyer: Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
S+ with Forrest: Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
S+ with Ignatius: Defence +2, Natural Cover; (Wary Fighter, Pavise; Luna, Armored Blow)
S+ with Percy: Strength +2, Lunge; (Rally Defence, Swordbreaker; Savage Blow, Trample)
S+ with Kiragi: Skill +2, Quick Draw; (Certain Blow, Bowfaire; Air Superiority, Amaterasu)
S+ with Hisame: Duellist Blow, Vantage; (Astra, Swordfaire; Seal Strength, Life and Death)
Keaton:
Collector
Odd Shaped, Beastbane; (Better Odds, Grisly Wound)
HP +5, Gamble; (Rally Strength, Axefaire; Sol, Axebreaker)
A+ with Benny: Defence +2, Natural Cover; (Wary Fighter, Pavise; Luna, Armored Blow)
A+ with Laslow: Good Fortune, Strong Riposte; (Sol, Axebreaker; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker) Exclusive for Velouria through inheritance Keaton
A+ with Kaden: Magic +2, Future Sight; (Rally Magic, Tomefaire; Rend Heaven, Quixotic)
s+ with Hana: Duellist Blow, Vantage; (Astra, Swordfaire; Seal Strength, Life and Death)
Hana:
Fearsome Blow
Miracle, Rally Luck; (Renewal, Counter Magic; Rally Magic, Tomefaire) Exclusive for Velouria through inheritance Hana
A+ with Felicia: Resistance +2, Demoiselle; (Rally Resistance, Inspiration; Live to Serve, Tomebreaker)
A+ with Setsuna: Skill +2, Quick Draw; (Certain Blow, Bowfaire; Air Superiority, Amaterasu)
A+ with Effie: Defence +2, Natural Cover; (Wary Fighter, Pavise; Luna, Armored Blow)
S+ with Keaton: HP +5, Gamble; (Rally Strength, Axefaire; Sol, Axebreaker)

Keep in mind that I didn't come up with these skillsets myself, I just did some information gathering and came across some sets that I liked or ones that I believed would work well.

Edited by Masterthunderblade

When it comes to skill inheritance, it depends a lot on the fact if you want useful skills (in order to make the child useful a lot sooner/ for convenience's sake) or rather exclusive ones (that you can't get any other way than through skill inheritance) Due to the My Castle "skill buying" feature, it doesn't matter as much which skills you choose, but here I go anyway...

Personally, I recommend using Ophelia as a Sorcerer, with the following skillset:

-Vantage

-Astra

-Vengeance

-Savage Blow *Inherited from Elise (In revelations you might want to A+ with Rhajat to get Quixotic instead)

Since this Ophelia is somewhat of a magical "glass cannon" the vantage and vengeance combo greatly increases her survivability when in a pinch, which might happen when lifetaker isn't able to keep her completely healed

I agree, but I'd rather replace Astra with another skill. Having two proc-ing skills is kinda a waste of a slot IMO, especially when the second has a very low chance to proc. Mine had 20 Skl at level 20/20, so that means only 10% chance to proc. I kept Malefic Aura because I had no other choice in my CQ playthrough, but Tomefaire from Rhajat (and Elise!Ophelia loves Onmoiji's speed), or Magictaker if you use DLC, increase her already massive attack. There are plenty of good skills in your list, Darting Blow from Shigure is a solid choice too for glasscannoning. The benefits of having Quitoxic or Savage Blow on her are too limited IMO. The Vantage/Vengeance combo means that she's going to get it, and you can't allow to drop her Avoid considering her Defense with Quitoxic. That works in a 100% glasscannon skillset, but not really here. She does not need more Hit either, since Tomes are accurare weapons, she get a +5 or +10 Hit from her class and you can use a Calamity Gate (you get one in her paralogue anyway). And she's supposed to leave her opponent dead, so Savage Blow is not really useful since you attacks from two tiles. Instead, Duelist's Blow is a simple but good choice when your enemy can replicate, and you're forced to have it if you got Vantage anyway. Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

-Vantage
-Astra
-Vengeance
Since this Ophelia is somewhat of a magical "glass cannon" the vantage and vengeance combo greatly increases her survivability when in a pinch, which might happen when lifetaker isn't able to keep her completely healed up.
[spoiler=Exclusive Skills Ophelia]

Ophelia:

Bibliophile
A+ with Midori: Potent Potion, Quick Salve; (Profiteer, Spendthrift; Golembane, Replicate)
A+ with Soleil: Good Fortune, Strong Riposte; (Sol, Axebreaker; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker)
A+ with Rhajat: Magic +2, Future Sight; (Rally Magic, Tomefaire; Rend Heaven, Quixotic)
S+ with Shiro: Seal Defence, Swap; (Seal Speed, Lancefaire; Rend Heaven, Quixotic)
Odin:
Aching Blood
A+ with Leo: Resistance +2, Gentilhomme; (Rally Resistance, Inspiration; Live to Serve, Tomebreaker)
A+ with Niles: Locktouch, Movement +1; (Lucky 7, Pass; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker) Exclusive for Ophelia through inheritance Odin
A+ with Laslow: Good Fortune, Strong Riposte; (Sol, Axebreaker; Rally Skill, Shurikenbreaker)
S+ with Elise: Resistance +2, Gentilhomme; (Live to Serve, Tomebreaker; Rally Resistance, Inspiration)
Elise:
Lily's Poise
Strength +2, Lunge; (Rally Defence, Swordbreaker; Savage Blow, Trample)
A+ with Azura: Darting Blow, Camaraderie; (Rally Speed, Warding Blow; Air Superiority, Amaterasu)
A+ with Effia: Defence +2, Natural Cover; (Wary Fighter, Pavise; Luna, Armored Blow)
A+ with Sakura: Miracle, Rally Luck; (Renewal, Counter Magic; Rally Magic, Tomefaire) Exclusive for Ophelia through inheritance Elise
S+ with Odin: Heartseeker, Malefic Aura; (Vengeance, Bowbreaker; Seal Magic, Lifetaker)

Looks good on paper, but Vantage-Vengeance honestly has been gutted in this game. Not only is Vengeance less likely to go off, being low enough that Vantage kicks in is tantamount to playing Russian roulette, and thus I generally find Vantage to be too limited in terms of usefulness - first strike advantage isn't worth the risk of dying if you don't get lucky IMHO. I also consider Savage Blow and Quixotic questionable.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I agree, but I'd rather replace Astra with another skill. Having two proc-ing skills is kinda a waste of a slot IMO, especially when the second has a very low chance to proc. Mine had 20 Skl at level 20/20, so that means only 10% chance to proc. I kept Malefic Aura because I had no other choice in my CQ playthrough, but Tomefaire from Rhajat (and Elise!Ophelia loves Onmoiji's speed), or Magictaker if you use DLC, increase her already massive attack. There are plenty of good skills in your list, Darting Blow from Shigure is a solid choice too for glasscannoning. The benefits of having Quitoxic or Savage Blow on her are too limited IMO. The Vantage/Vengeance combo means that she's going to get it, and you can't allow to drop her Avoid considering her Defense with Quitoxic. That works in a 100% glasscannon skillset, but not really here. She does not need more Hit either, since Tomes are accurare weapons, she get a +5 or +10 Hit from her class and you can use a Calamity Gate (you get one in her paralogue anyway). And she's supposed to leave her opponent dead, so Savage Blow is not really useful since you attacks from two tiles. Instead, Duelist's Blow is a simple but good choice when your enemy can replicate, and you're forced to have it if you got Vantage anyway.

Looks good on paper, but Vantage-Vengeance honestly has been gutted in this game. Not only is Vengeance less likely to go off, being low enough that Vantage kicks in is tantamount to playing Russian roulette, and thus I generally find Vantage to be too limited in terms of usefulness - first strike advantage isn't worth the risk of dying if you don't get lucky IMHO. I also consider Savage Blow and Quixotic questionable.

Thanks for the feedback! A lot of good point were made... Since I never used Nyx before I was kind of in the dark when it came to a skillset, and I haven't experimented much when it comes to the skills in this game. You may question why I would even answer in the first place when that's the case, but by doing so I learn a lot about the usefulness of different skills and different situations. I now realize that I should've paid more attention to the actual trigger rates of each skill rather than the possible results alone, Nyx has rather low skill after all, I keep that in mind for the future...

I'm trying to understand the Partner Seal mechanic and classes obtained through inheritance for children.

So if Kagero marries Kaze, would Kegero gain Samurai and Kaze gain Diviner?

As for Midori, since she starts out as Apothecary and inherits Ninja from Kaze, will she inherit Diviner from Kagero?

I'm trying to understand the Partner Seal mechanic and classes obtained through inheritance for children.

So if Kagero marries Kaze, would Kagero gain Samurai and Kaze gain Diviner?

As for Midori, since she starts out as Apothecary and inherits Ninja from Kaze, will she inherit Diviner from Kagero?

iirc, yes and yes.

Is resistance still as weak in this game as in Awakening, as opposed to defense? In awakening I almost always choose Def as the weakness for my Avatar simply because, at least in hard, they always end up taking barely any damage from physical attacks.

So:

Do resistance growths still suck? I've heard HP is the new problem stat.

Is Corrin's defense still good enough to make it their bane and live another day? (hard dificulty)

...My copy of Fates still hasn't arrived :'(

If you want growths for the Avatar and such without doing calcs... http://soapy4159.github.io/ferevpairings/ Keep in mind, every character is listed, so if you're avoiding spoilers... keep your eyes to the top I suppose. Or do calcs manually.

Is resistance still as weak in this game as in Awakening, as opposed to defense? In awakening I almost always choose Def as the weakness for my Avatar simply because, at least in hard, they always end up taking barely any damage from physical attacks.

So:
Do resistance growths still suck? I've heard HP is the new problem stat.
Is Corrin's defense still good enough to make it their bane and live another day? (hard dificulty)

...My copy of Fates still hasn't arrived :'(

Anyways, and this is a bit subjective, I'd say it's a bit more important to boost your offensive stats, as the MU's defense can be very eh sometimes even with +Def, and Res never goes anywhere quite frankly.

Defense and Res Boon/Asset is a bit less than Awakening's at 10% boost, while Str, Mag, and Spd still get boosted by 15%. Skill and Luck actually get boosted by 25%.

I wouldn't say HP's a "problem stat". It's just back to how it used to be before Awakening inflated the heck out of it.

Res depends on the class and character really. It's always been less than Defense outside of most Mages and the Mage-killing classes.

I do feel they're a bit closer in general though, since a few more classes actually have a +Growth to Res over Defense. Although, like I said, the MU has terrible Res honestly, so if you did go with a Defensive build, Def over Res.

Also, here's friendly "opinion and subjectivity" reminder.

Also glad to know you're still alive.

Edited by TrueEm

I actually want to know two things:

1. What's the point in "Effective Speed"? Why does a Steel Sword "effectively" reduce my Speed by 3, while an Iron Shuriken just straight out gives me a +2? All this does is make it more complicated to calculate wether your character will double/will get doubled, because you always have to keep this in mind, when the game could just as easily just show it to you directly. Anyone enlighten me?

2. Am I the only one who has trouble understanding what Effie is saying? According to the Fire Emblem Wiki, she's saying "What a workout", but I just don't hear that. I'm hearing something like "What a worryyard", which isn't even a word. "I've got you" sounds like "I'll spot you" to me. Is that just me?

1. What's the point in "Effective Speed"? Why does a Steel Sword "effectively" reduce my Speed by 3, while an Iron Shuriken just straight out gives me a +2? All this does is make it more complicated to calculate wether your character will double/will get doubled, because you always have to keep this in mind, when the game could just as easily just show it to you directly. Anyone enlighten me?

2. Am I the only one who has trouble understanding what Effie is saying? According to the Fire Emblem Wiki, she's saying "What a workout", but I just don't hear that. I'm hearing something like "What a worryyard", which isn't even a word. "I've got you" sounds like "I'll spot you" to me. Is that just me?

1. Effective Speed is basically a mod to your doubling ability or inability. +3 means you double with just 2 more speed than your opponent, while -3 means you need 8 Speed to double. The enemy still needs 5 in those scenarios, but theirs can be affected as well.

The Shurikens and other weapon/tonic speed effects just gives you Speed as in the Raw stat.

Any effect to Effective Speed is not shown, and you do have to calculate it.

2. It's not just you probably, although I haven't had any such issue myself.

Edited by TrueEm

1. Effective Speed is basically a mod to your doubling ability or inability. +3 means you double with just 2 more speed than your opponent, while -3 means you need 8 Speed to double. The enemy still needs 5 in those scenarios, but theirs can be affected as well.

The Shurikens and other weapon/tonic speed effects just gives you Speed as in the Raw stat.

Any effect to Effective Speed is not shown, and you do have to calculate it.

I get all that, but why? What's the point? That's just complicated for the sake of being complicated to me.

Edited by Funky Tim

I get all that, but why? What's the point? That's just complicated for the sake of making it complicated to me.

It harms/boosts your own doubling ability without increasing or decreasing the opponents, if that means anything. I guess the devs just liked the idea?

I suppose it's also weird for basic weapons to give a boost like that, unless it's directly tied to the weapon type like Naginatas etc.

Edited by TrueEm

It harms/boosts your own doubling ability without increasing or decreasing the opponents, if that means anything. I guess the devs just liked the idea?

I suppose it's also weird for basic weapons to give a boost like that, unless it's directly tied to the weapon type like Naginatas etc.

But that's not how it works, right? As far as I can tell, +3 Effective Speed and +3 Speed are the exact same thing, except that the latter is shown on the stat screen, while the former is not. It just bugs me because I hate invisible stats with a passion, and I see no logical reason to include this one. I believe there's one type of weapon, I forgot which one, that gives you +5/-5 effective speed, depending on wether you're attacking or defending. That's the one instance where I feel it makes sense to have effective speed, but for all the other weapons, it does not in my eyes.

But that's not how it works, right? As far as I can tell, +3 Effective Speed and +3 Speed are the exact same thing, except that the latter is shown on the stat screen, while the former is not. It just bugs me because I hate invisible stats with a passion, and I see no logical reason to include this one. I believe there's one type of weapon, I forgot which one, that gives you +5/-5 effective speed, depending on wether you're attacking or defending. That's the one instance where I feel it makes sense to have effective speed, but for all the other weapons, it does not in my eyes.

No, +3 Effective speed does not affect your opponents doubling ability, while +3 Speed does.

It's kinda confusing with how many versions and usages of it there are, but they can either add/subtract from your own effective speed, or make it easier for the opponent to double.

Let's see, examples...

The Chakram, or S Rank Shuriken.

User and enemy’s ability to double +5.

So, when you attack, you double at 0 speed higher and above, and the enemy doubles at 0 speed higher and above. Same thing when the enemy attacks. So, at equal speed, you both double eachother.

The Pursuer, or S Rank Bow, has the same effect.

Another example.

The Steel Sword, or Katana, takes away 3 Effective speed from you, meaning you need 8 more speed to double. It in no way affects the opponent's E.Speed.

Edited by TrueEm

No, +3 Effective speed does not affect your opponents doubling ability, while +3 Speed does.

It's kinda confusing with how many versions and usages of it there are, but they can either add/subtract from your own effective speed, or make it easier for the opponent to double.

Let's see, examples...

The Chakram, or S Rank Shuriken.

User and enemy’s ability to double +5.

So, when you attack, you double at 0 speed higher and above, and the enemy doubles at 0 speed higher and above. Same thing when the enemy attacks. So, at equal speed, you both double eachother.

The Pursuer, or S Rank Bow, has the same effect.

Another example.

The Steel Sword, or Katana, takes away 3 Effective speed from you, meaning you need 8 more speed to double. It in no way affects the opponent's E.Speed.

Let's say I have 15 Speed, and I have a Steel Sword equipped, meaning my Effective Speed is 12. According to your logic, I can only double an opponent if he's got 7 Speed or less, but for me to be doubled, an opponent would need 20 Speed or more. But are you sure that's how it works? I'll need to test this, but I'm pretty sure in this example, my opponent can already double at 17 Speed, which means -3 Effective Speed is the exact same thing as -3 Speed. Maybe someone can clarify?

If you want growths for the Avatar and such without doing calcs... http://soapy4159.github.io/ferevpairings/ Keep in mind, every character is listed, so if you're avoiding spoilers... keep your eyes to the top I suppose. Or do calcs manually.

Anyways, and this is a bit subjective, I'd say it's a bit more important to boost your offensive stats, as the MU's defense can be very eh sometimes even with +Def, and Res never goes anywhere quite frankly.

Defense and Res Boon/Asset is a bit less than Awakening's at 10% boost, while Str, Mag, and Spd still get boosted by 15%. Skill and Luck actually get boosted by 25%.

I wouldn't say HP's a "problem stat". It's just back to how it used to be before Awakening inflated the heck out of it.

Res depends on the class and character really. It's always been less than Defense outside of most Mages and the Mage-killing classes.

I do feel they're a bit closer in general though, since a few more classes actually have a +Growth to Res over Defense. Although, like I said, the MU has terrible Res honestly, so if you did go with a Defensive build, Def over Res.

Also, here's friendly "opinion and subjectivity" reminder.

Also glad to know you're still alive.

Thanks! I've already been using that website to plan my avatar a bit and I think I'm gonna go for a +Spd -Def for my first Birthright playthrough. A speedy offense I guess.

hhehe thanks and yeeeah I've kind of abandoned the avatar art request thread for the time being... *whistles distractedly*

Let's say I have 15 Speed, and I have a Steel Sword equipped, meaning my Effective Speed is 12. According to your logic, I can only double an opponent if he's got 7 Speed or less, but for me to be doubled, an opponent would need 20 Speed or more. But are you sure that's how it works? I'll need to test this, but I'm pretty sure in this example, my opponent can already double at 17 Speed, which means -3 Effective Speed is the exact same thing as -3 Speed. Maybe someone can clarify?

yes, the example you gave is correct. the other minor thing to keep in mind that effective speed mods means actual speed, and thus Avoid, are not affected. so Shuriken +2 speed gives increased doubling ability AND 3% Avoid. meanwhile, Steel's -3 effective speed does not reduce your avoid (though the -5 Avoid from Steel is there =\ but you don't lose 9.5 Avoid, just the 5 Avoid)

If a unit would be in range of two identical passive healing effects, would it be healed by both or just one? For example, if a unit had two units with the Amaterasu skill around it, would it be healed for 40% or just 20%?

If a unit would be in range of two identical passive healing effects, would it be healed by both or just one? For example, if a unit had two units with the Amaterasu skill around it, would it be healed for 40% or just 20%?

Only 20%.

this applies to passive buffs, too. so only 1 Demoiselle would work