"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

11 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Ok, so I need to know: what benefits do S-supports give in terms of attack stance?

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-bonus/

That page from the main site covers that information for the Nohrians, you can hit one of the tabs for characters from other routes (Note that the 1/2 damage floored attack that the supporting character gets do not have any of these attack stance bonuses, for example a generic enemy that attacks gets +10 hit with an attack stance partner, but the attack stance hit from his partner does not)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've searched and searched, but I can't find where I read about passing down skills to kid characters. I know kids can inherit classes, but what about skills? And when is the skill passed down? At S support of the parents, or upon starting the xenologue? Further, can personal skills be passed down, or just class skills? Is it worth it to wait to S support people until ch18 for the offspring seal? (I think that's what it was called.)

Edit: And which slot is the inheritable skill in? The first? The last?

Edited by Mercakete

21 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

So, I've searched and searched, but I can't find where I read about passing down skills to kid characters. I know kids can inherit classes, but what about skills? And when is the skill passed down? At S support of the parents, or upon starting the xenologue? Further, can personal skills be passed down, or just class skills? Is it worth it to wait to S support people until ch18 for the offspring seal? (I think that's what it was called.)

Edit: And which slot is the inheritable skill in? The first? The last?

For the most part, skill inheritance is determined at the start of the xenologue. There are exceptions to that rule, but I don't know enough about those... As for your other question, I wouldn't wait until offspring seals enter the picture to pick them up - some of the kids' paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame (Shiro and Ignatius are especially notable for this).

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

For the most part, skill inheritance is determined at the start of the xenologue. There are exceptions to that rule, but I don't know enough about those... As for your other question, I wouldn't wait until offspring seals enter the picture to pick them up - some of the kids' paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame (Shiro and Ignatius are especially notable for this).

Ah, thanks! I'll take that advice.

But what about my other questions? Which skill slot passes down a skill, if personal skills can be inherited, or if only class skills can be inherited?

7 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

But what about my other questions? Which skill slot passes down a skill, if personal skills can be inherited, or if only class skills can be inherited?

Only class skills can be inherited. The last slot is used for inheritance, mostly - if an ineligible skill is in the last slot, then it goes to the last slot with an eligible skill.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Only class skills can be inherited. The last slot is used for inheritance, mostly - if an ineligible skill is in the last slot, then it goes to the last slot with an eligible skill.

Ah, ok. Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess this is the best place to place this question. Big story spoilers.

I don't fully understand the 'Mother' cutscene. The cloaked dude, (won't spoil who that guy is) telekenitically grabs corrin's sword, does a chaos blast and then kills Mikoto with energy spikes resulting from the blast. Brutal! But the blast itself, to me it doesn't look that large. Don't get me wrong; it occurred in the middle of a dense crowd and killed nearly everyone. It certainly is tragic, but the blast does not look large enough to level the entire town. But we see in the proceeding cutscenes that a very large portion of the town is ruined. Awful...So, what gives? Was the explosion just not properly scaled by the cutscene writers? And if the explosion did emcompass nearly the entire town, why are only the remaining plot relevant characters (Ryoma, Sakura, etc.) unharmed from the blast? Is it just plot armor? 

Oh, and speaking of scaling, what is the true size of Corrin's dragon form? In the animated cutscenes, Dragon Corrin towers over Azura...but in game, even in the same chapter, Dragon Corrin is a bit tiny. About the same height as any other character...so...

Are there any good answers to this? or is it just unfortunate plot holes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, DarkDefeater said:

Well, I guess this is the best place to place this question. Big story spoilers.

I don't fully understand the 'Mother' cutscene. The cloaked dude, (won't spoil who that guy is) telekenitically grabs corrin's sword, does a chaos blast and then kills Mikoto with energy spikes resulting from the blast. Brutal! But the blast itself, to me it doesn't look that large. Don't get me wrong; it occurred in the middle of a dense crowd and killed nearly everyone. It certainly is tragic, but the blast does not look large enough to level the entire town. But we see in the proceeding cutscenes that a very large portion of the town is ruined. Awful...So, what gives? Was the explosion just not properly scaled by the cutscene writers? And if the explosion did emcompass nearly the entire town, why are only the remaining plot relevant characters (Ryoma, Sakura, etc.) unharmed from the blast? Is it just plot armor? 

Oh, and speaking of scaling, what is the true size of Corrin's dragon form? In the animated cutscenes, Dragon Corrin towers over Azura...but in game, even in the same chapter, Dragon Corrin is a bit tiny. About the same height as any other character...so...

Are there any good answers to this? or is it just unfortunate plot holes?

Spoiler

The explosion was only as big as the plot demanded.  Possible in-game explanation, Corrin's dragon powers shielded him/her and the explosion shrapnel didn't kill everyone, just random people within the blast radius, and all the other plot important characters were far enough away/lucky enough to not get hit.

• 2 weeks later...

So, when is a good level to reclass Jakob into another class (Paladin, Wyvern Lord, Blacksmith, etc.). I know it depends on pairings, but he can get Tomebreaker and stuff. Just... when would be a good time. Especially since bronze weapons would start to fall off at around Ch 15 or so.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:12 PM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

So, when is a good level to reclass Jakob into another class (Paladin, Wyvern Lord, Blacksmith, etc.). I know it depends on pairings, but he can get Tomebreaker and stuff. Just... when would be a good time. Especially since bronze weapons would start to fall off at around Ch 15 or so.

After chapter 8. His 1-2 range as a butler is really useful for securing the western villages when properly tonic’d and paired up with the avatar. After that, if you want him as a fighter, continued levels with a butler’s growths will only impair him further.

Personally I disagree with the conventional wisdom that Jakob’s a good unit. I have never once had him turn out okay, and he always falls off catastrophically by the midway point despite the guides saying his stats are about average for his level. Not to mention that outside of butler or some serious reclassing tomfoolery he has no good 1-2 range. But he’s really useful for getting good skills early on, and thanks to his awesome personal skill he can always secure a nice fat retirement in the back row.

Edited by Alastor15243

• 4 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, Alastor15243 said:

After chapter 8. His 1-2 range as a butler is really useful for securing the western villages when properly tonic’d and paired up with the avatar. After that, if you want him as a fighter, continued levels with a butler’s growths will only impair him further.

Personally I disagree with the conventional wisdom that Jakob’s a good unit. I have never once had him turn out okay, and he always falls off catastrophically by the midway point despite the guides saying his stats are about average for his level. Not to mention that outside of butler or some serious reclassing tomfoolery he has no good 1-2 range. But he’s really useful for getting good skills early on, and thanks to his awesome personal skill he can always secure a nice fat retirement in the back row.

His main quality, as with Felicia, is early access to level 15 skills which can be given to unit's kids. I agree though - I've never seen Jakob fail to fall off spectacularly and in fact I prefer to go male and use Felicia as she's able to fill a role (Flame Shuriken user who eats mages) better than he early on, and later she makes a good mom for Nina or Ophelia (not the best for either but the best mom for both is usually occupied).

I cannot find this anywhere: what is the name of Sophie's horse in the Japanese version? I know Percy's wyvern was named Michalis originally and Treehouse (presumably having never played a Fire Emblem game prior to Awakening) changed it, so I am curious if her horse was originally called something else as well.

6 minutes ago, De Geso said:

I cannot find this anywhere: what is the name of Sophie's horse in the Japanese version? I know Percy's wyvern was named Michalis originally and Treehouse (presumably having never played a Fire Emblem game prior to Awakening) changed it, so I am curious if her horse was originally called something else as well.

It's Abel. After the Archanean character. It was just poorly transliterated. 

• 5 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Well, it has been a while since someone posted here.

This is a story-related question: in what part of Fates were the concubine wars mentions?

There may be other places, but one that I know of is from Leo and Elise's support conversations.  During it they mention how they both have different mothers and Elise is scared her siblings will start fighting just like their mothers did.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Well, it has been a while since someone posted here.

This is a story-related question: in what part of Fates were the concubine wars mentions?

They sorta hint at in revelations when Camilla is talking about the political reasons Azura was treated like trash back in Nohr. (I think it was in the story segment at the end of the frozen boat map).

On 2/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

They sorta hint at in revelations when Camilla is talking about the political reasons Azura was treated like trash back in Nohr. (I think it was in the story segment at the end of the frozen boat map).

I did find more, but thank you.

• 3 months later...

I know that children's growth rates are the average of their base growths and the variable parent's. But if that average isn't a whole number (like 40 and 35 being 37.5), does it get rounded? If so, is it rounded up or down?

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2020 at 6:15 PM, Alistair said:

I know that children's growth rates are the average of their base growths and the variable parent's. But if that average isn't a whole number (like 40 and 35 being 37.5), does it get rounded? If so, is it rounded up or down?

It gets rounded down.

Child growths from auto-levels round to the nearest integer in the usual way. Effie!Percy has 0 base Mag and gets (putatively) 7.5 Mag growth in Wyvern Rider. When you recruit him immediately after Chapter 15, he‘ll be at level 17, and he should have 0 Mag if it rounds down and 1 otherwise. I just checked, and he has 0.

• 5 months later...

I'm planning on eventually doing my first Lunatic runthrough of Fates Conquest once I'm finished with my current hard-mode playthrough. I'm not going to use any of the paid DLC (aside from Anna's mission). I will however make use of some of the DLC path bonuses (Boots, Dread Scroll, etc) and My Castle Bonuses. I've got a few questions before I do this playthrough though.

• Are DLC classes even worth using? I made Nyx a witch and Niles a Balistician during my hard mode run and both have fallen off pretty fast. Nyx is too frail and inaccurate (though she is strong and fast) and Niles just sucks all around (low move, too frail, too weak, too inaccurate, chip damage actually drastically reduces my EXP gain). Also, do DLC classes get less experience than unpromoted classes?
  • How many units should I make use of? I'm thinking about using 18 units (15 gen 1 units + 3 child units).
  • Is Anna a better unit than Mozu?

• 3 weeks later...

So recently, i found out that fates lunatic has fixed level up growths with the rng being rolled before the chapter. While i'm not one for mass rigging level ups, sometimes i do reset chapters if the unit is below averge stats. So does anyone know a way to bypass the fixed growths with maybe patches or fan hacks? Anything that can help will be fine.

(Ps: i know the game isnt unbeatable or anything if corrin or camilla gets screwed, i just hate playing with bad versions of good characters)

• 3 months later...