"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the game a worthy 14th game in the Fire Emblem series? How is it from 1-10?

Well:

Story of Birthright-6/10 meh but still good

Story of Conquest-2/10 it has its moment where I can say I enjoyed but other then those it is one of the most horribly written stories in a long time that I have seen

Gameplay of Birthright-7/10 very similar to FEA

Gameplay of Conquest-9/10 the only reason there that it is not 10/10 is that there is too little defend chapters and the defend chapter was my favorite

Overall Story-4/10 if you intend to play the game for the story, then you need to look some where else

Overall Gameplay-10/10 a massive improvement from FEA and any FE fan will love the new changes(Well most of them)

I would go into DLC but I am too lazy. might do it later.

Also, that was just a quick overview.If you want more details I would say go find a review or just go over to the Fixing Fates Story thread and ask anyone there what they thought.Particularly Thane

Edited by Azz

Is the game a worthy 14th game in the Fire Emblem series? How is it from 1-10?

Well:

Story of Conquest-2/10 it has its moment where I can say I enjoyed but other then those it is one of the most horribly written stories in a long time that I have seen

Gameplay of Conquest-9/10 the only reason there that it is not 10/10 is that there is too little defend chapters and the defend chapter was my favorite

Overall Story-4/10 if you intend to play the game for the story, then you need to look some where else

Overall Gameplay-10/10 a massive improvement from FEA and any FE fan will love the new changes(Well most of them)

Also, that was just a quick overview.If you want more details I would say go find a review or just go over to the Fixing Fates Story thread and ask anyone there what they thought.Particularly Thane

Gameplay, I think it maybe the best in the series, it balances out all the new mechanics that where introduced in Awakening (there is now an advantage and disadvantage to pairing up as opposed to pairing up having almost no draw backs in combat, children units dont make the parent units redundant, lunatic is more balanced).

I've only played Hoshido and I thought the story was kinda straight forward, very black and white. Compared to Awakening I thought the story didnt have much content.

I'm assuming Invisible Kingdom is the canon story so I will reserve how I feel about the game's story till I play it.

Edited by Raybrand

Gameplay, I think it maybe the best in the series, it balances out all the new mechanics that where introduced in Awakening (there is now an advantage and disadvantage to pairing up as opposed to pairing up having almost no draw backs in combat, children units dont make the parent units redundant, lunatic is more balanced).

I've only played Hoshido and I thought the story was kinda straight forward, very black and white. Compared to Awakening I thought the story didnt have much content.

I'm assuming Invisible Kingdom is the canon story so I will reserve how I feel about the game's story till I play it.

Ik's story is bad IMO.Not as bad as Conquest mind you but bad.They really went out of their way to make it the golden path which while I like the idea of a path where you get everyone, the story is just urgghh.For a game that was advertised to have a deep and complex story, it was really shitty.

As for my IK mini-review:

Story-5/10 It was bad but not as bad as Conquest.If you like games that have a golden path where everything turns out great an not bitter-sweet the this is for you

Gameplay-6/10 It was good but many chapters could get quite tedious and gimmicky to a point that I was just tired of it but it is still good non-the less

Overall-If you like a golden path that at times can be difficult but not bad difficult, this is the path for you.Honestly, if you plan on playing both Birthright and Conquest, I think you should give Invisible Kingdom a shot and I think it would be money well spent

As for the current DLC:

Awakening DLC-5/10 I found it bland and the rewards you get are good but they are limited for some reason

Beach DLC-6/10 It was fun but if you did not like Summer Scramble from FEA then I would advise against this

EXP DLC-6/10 It was defiantly a step up from EXPonetial Growth but it could ruin the Nohr experience if you wanted to play no grind(Maybe it is just me)

Gold DLC-6/10 Same as above but with Golden Gaffe

Weapon DLC-6/10 Again above

Strongest Royal DLC-7/10 I found this quite fun.It got frustrating yes but overall it was fun and I tended to go to this to take breaks from grinding my characters

IK Beginning/Conclusion DLC-4/10 It was meh and it was difficult but not a fun kind IMO.It also makes more plot holes in the story and the story did not need more plot holes

Speaking of DLC, I kinda asked this earlier in this thread, but in regards to the Treasure of the Ruins DLC, is it harder than Awakening's Golden Gaffe in a similar vein like Terrifying Spirit Mountain (i.e. like Terrifying Spirit Mountain have mobs scales based on your story progress, stronger mobs, not a straightforward map, some stronger mobs will have the guts to try and attack you if you are in their movement range, etc)?

Also, I'm curious if they did this to prevent Dragon Points from DLC abuse. Suppose you create a level 1 vendor in your map, by the Master, Marriage, Buddy, and Parallel Seal, delete the vendor, then try to recreate the vendor, will the recreated vendor registered that you already purchased the said seals from a previous vendor you have created was purchased and will remain unstocked until you upgrade it?

Speaking of DLC, I kinda asked this earlier in this thread, but in regards to the Treasure of the Ruins DLC, is it harder than Awakening's Golden Gaffe in a similar vein like Terrifying Spirit Mountain (i.e. like Terrifying Spirit Mountain have mobs scales based on your story progress, stronger mobs, not a straightforward map, some stronger mobs will have the guts to try and attack you if you are in their movement range, etc)?

Also, I'm curious if they did this to prevent Dragon Points from DLC abuse. Suppose you create a level 1 vendor in your map, by the Master, Marriage, Buddy, and Parallel Seal, delete the vendor, then try to recreate the vendor, will the recreated vendor registered that you already purchased the said seals from a previous vendor you have created was purchased and will remain unstocked until you upgrade it?

Yes, Treasure of the Ruins is harder then Golden Gaffe.Much like Spirit Mountain, the enemies attack you but if they get low on HP they will try and escape.

You cannot delete My Castle buildings.They are simply stored away so no, by 'deleting' the vendor, the vendor is not restocked.

Yes, Treasure of the Ruins is harder then Golden Gaffe.Much like Spirit Mountain, the enemies attack you but if they get low on HP they will try and escape.

You cannot delete My Castle buildings.They are simply stored away so no, by 'deleting' the vendor, the vendor is not restocked.

That's good to know. So if you have two level 1 vendors, both vendors will register that you already purchased the seals then. Well that's good to know. It either encourages players to look through other My Castles to find a level 3 vendor, or to play through the game itself to unlock more levels for your buildings.

Anyhow, judging by the playthroughs with the Spirit Mountain and Treasure of the Ruins, is it normally the stronger mobs or the weaker mobs that try to attack your characters? Because it would be a pain the ass if the stronger mobs try to attack you while grinding on them in the earlier part of the storyline and a pain the ass if you try to level up your children characters in the later part of the storyline.

And speaking of storyline, when you first get the children characters, are the stats they get scale based on the parents stats or based on your story progress (i.e. if I get Midoriko in later part of the storyline, I get her stronger)?

Edited by Dark Paladin X

And speaking of storyline, when you first get the children characters, are the stats they get scale based on the parents stats or based on your story progress (i.e. if I get Midoriko in later part of the storyline, I get her stronger)?

I think stats based on parents. What I'm unsure of is how much the parents stats affect their child's stats. The Child Seal, however, will bring the child up to par with everyone else in the team. That too, I'm unsure of how its calculated, but Child Seals start showing up in a child's inventory at chapter 19.

Edited by Carter

Anyhow, judging by the playthroughs with the Spirit Mountain and Treasure of the Ruins, is it normally the stronger mobs or the weaker mobs that try to attack your characters? Because it would be a pain the ass if the stronger mobs try to attack you while grinding on them in the earlier part of the storyline and a pain the ass if you try to level up your children characters in the later part of the storyline.

1. Unlike Awakening's Golden Gaffe, there are no weak or strong mobs in Treasure of the Ruins. All of the enemies' stats scale with your chapter progression, so you are always fighting enemies around your level. All the starting enemies try to attack you, but some of the later reinforcements flee, and these guys usually have boss icons and carry lots of gold.

Spirit Mountain has enemies at slightly varying levels, but it still scales with chapter progression, so you can't leave a unit at level 1 all game and expect to train them in Spirit Mountain before the final chapter. They won't even be able to damage the Faceless there. There are green Faceless, yellow Faceless, and Golems, and the green guys and Golems attack you while the yellows flee. The yellows aren't necessarily stronger though. It's way harder than EXPonential Growth because the enemies run up and away from you instead of down towards you, and the EXP gain isn't outstanding. The Golems also prevent you from moving if they hit you, which is annoying and might even kill you.

Children will have a higher starting level depending when in the game you do the paralogue. However, they never start over level 20 unpremoted, so in some cases can actually make the chapter harder if you wait too long. An example (minor gameplay spoiler):

In Shinonome's paralogue, he starts as a green unit in the middle of a bunch of enemies. If you wait until before the final chapter to do it, he'll be 18-20 levels lower than the enemies and die on the second turn unless you reach him right away.

Usually it is better to wait, though, because if you wait long enough they'll come at level 20, holding a Child Seal that will promote them and give them an automatic 18 levels.

Does the Invisible History DLC make more sense if you've played all three routes or does it not really matter?

I would say at least play Invisible Kingdom first. Though the DLC doesn't really make much sense anyway so it doesn't hurt if you want to play it first...

I would say at least play Invisible Kingdom first. Though the DLC doesn't really make much sense anyway so it doesn't hurt if you want to play it first...

Thanks kind of disappointing to hear that it raises as many questions as it answers though

So, I have a quick question about seals. So, I read a topic that said you can have one A+ AND one S support. Is this true? If so, then say I have Felicia, and I am a MaMamui, with Rod Knight as my secondary class. Say I Buddy Seal Suzukaze. He will get Rod Knight, yes? Then, if I wanted, I could marry someone like Sakura, and use a Marriage seal, then she will get Rod Knight, right? If she has Rod Knight, you can essentially string all units to have Rod Knight, and then tie it off with Felicia or Joker. If I'm right, this makes Buddy Seals and Marriage seals absolutely broken. If I'm wrong, please tell me where I'm wrong. Thanks in advance! Btw, asking his cause I want to do a run of just Butlers and Maids! XD

So, I have a quick question about seals. So, I read a topic that said you can have one A+ AND one S support. Is this true? If so, then say I have Felicia, and I am a MaMamui, with Rod Knight as my secondary class. Say I Buddy Seal Suzukaze. He will get Rod Knight, yes? Then, if I wanted, I could marry someone like Sakura, and use a Marriage seal, then she will get Rod Knight, right? If she has Rod Knight, you can essentially string all units to have Rod Knight, and then tie it off with Felicia or Joker. If I'm right, this makes Buddy Seals and Marriage seals absolutely broken. If I'm wrong, please tell me where I'm wrong. Thanks in advance! Btw, asking his cause I want to do a run of just Butlers and Maids! XD

No one can use the Avatar as their buddy. And the way Buddy seals work it that when you use them the "buddy" adds their friend's primary class as another reclass option. Same with marriage seals. Also the Avatar can buddy with anyone of the same gender, since buddy seals are same gender only. In addition,other characters can only use the buddy seal once. For classes such as Garou and Nohr Prince the secondary class is shared. Also A+ ranks are not two-way, so Lazward can A+ Odin and Odin can still A+ Zero. The Avatar cannot achieve an A+ rank, so all he or she needs is an A rank. Edited by riolumaster

1. Unlike Awakening's Golden Gaffe, there are no weak or strong mobs in Treasure of the Ruins. All of the enemies' stats scale with your chapter progression, so you are always fighting enemies around your level. All the starting enemies try to attack you, but some of the later reinforcements flee, and these guys usually have boss icons and carry lots of gold.

Spirit Mountain has enemies at slightly varying levels, but it still scales with chapter progression, so you can't leave a unit at level 1 all game and expect to train them in Spirit Mountain before the final chapter. They won't even be able to damage the Faceless there. There are green Faceless, yellow Faceless, and Golems, and the green guys and Golems attack you while the yellows flee. The yellows aren't necessarily stronger though. It's way harder than EXPonential Growth because the enemies run up and away from you instead of down towards you, and the EXP gain isn't outstanding. The Golems also prevent you from moving if they hit you, which is annoying and might even kill you.

...Actually, I have a question about the Gold/EXP grinding maps for this game.

From what you and a few other people have said, these maps do seem at least somewhat challenging and/or annoying.

But are they at least somewhat worth it for the Nohr path?

...Actually, I have a question about the Gold/EXP grinding maps for this game.

From what you and a few other people have said, these maps do seem at least somewhat challenging and/or annoying.

But are they at least somewhat worth it for the Nohr path?

Yes definitely.In Hoshido, I found skirmishes to be better late game cause they were just less of a pain because some of the Faceless in the Exp DLC have skills like Defensive Formation which just got annoying and tedious later on where as in Nohr, yes it will be the same but I found it very hard to get good skills for the kids that would be worth passing down so I found the Exp DLC useful despite the fact it can be quite annoying at times.The Gold DLC is good in both paths IMO since Eternal Seals are a bitch to buy if you are solely using skirmishes to grind money and in Nohr I was literally only able to buy I think 3 Eternal Seals out of money I did not get from the DLC since you need to buy Tonics(Especially for Lunatic), more weapons and also just normal seals for Nohr.

In short, buddy / marriage seals only give the primary class (base class). If two units share a base class, they get each other's secondary classes. You cannot give the Rod Knight class to anyone except your marriage partner and children because no one can A+ with the avatar.

And in your case, Kaze will give Ninja to Sakura. Sakura can only get Rod Knight if she marries you (with Rod Knight secondary) or Jakob, or buddies with Elise.

Well:

Well Fire Emblem games aren't that great in the story part anyway, fe7 is a good example.. So are you rating the story compared to the other fe games? Strange that there's so many issues with it, hopefully it's just people exaggerating too much. I'm not spoiling myself until it comes out.

Other than that, are the characters good? And you never said if it's a worthy 14th game in the series, and if it's good enough to make more fire emblem games possible in the future.

Well Fire Emblem games aren't that great in the story part anyway, fe7 is a good example.. So are you rating the story compared to the other fe games? Strange that there's so many issues with it, hopefully it's just people exaggerating too much. I'm not spoiling myself until it comes out.

Other than that, are the characters good? And you never said if it's a worthy 14th game in the series, and if it's good enough to make more fire emblem games possible in the future.

I was rating the story based on how it was advertised.It was advertised as having a complex story and revolutionizing a kingdom from within(Well Conquest was)which the creators did not do.That was my basis for conquest.Birthright's result was based on FEA since they have a similar way of telling the story and really they are not bad but they are not the best either.

The characters are good but like in FEA the supports are integral to how good the characters are as the story does not do them any favors.The supprts are generally better then FEA's.

I do think it is worthy of being FE's 14th game and yes I do expect an FE15 since it was pretty successful in Japan and no doubt over here in the west too due to how popular FEA was however, I think they really need to have a better story for FE15 cause other wise people will just stop playing the games since the story was not very well received in Japan either.

Yes definitely.In Hoshido, I found skirmishes to be better late game cause they were just less of a pain because some of the Faceless in the Exp DLC have skills like Defensive Formation which just got annoying and tedious later on where as in Nohr, yes it will be the same but I found it very hard to get good skills for the kids that would be worth passing down so I found the Exp DLC useful despite the fact it can be quite annoying at times.The Gold DLC is good in both paths IMO since Eternal Seals are a bitch to buy if you are solely using skirmishes to grind money and in Nohr I was literally only able to buy I think 3 Eternal Seals out of money I did not get from the DLC since you need to buy Tonics(Especially for Lunatic), more weapons and also just normal seals for Nohr.

Also, in regards to the EXP DLC, do you personally think it's a "safe" way to train Mozume in a similar vein of training Donnel with the EXP DLC in Awakening, particularly when you play them in the earlier part of the storyline?

And just to clarify, you mention the EXP DLC isn't as good when you play this map in the later part of the storyline since they'll be stronger. Which chapters in the storyline (both Hoshido and Nohr) do you think playing the EXP DLC map isn't worth the effort?

And finally, which chapters in each storyline do you think is worth grabbing the children characters, but not too far ahead of the storyline to the point that they are in a position that is either too difficult to recruit them (i.e. Shinonome), or they'll just too far behind to try leveling them up at the DLC (around the time when the children characters get the child seals, or a little earlier/later)?

Speaking of child seals, does using a parallel seal before child sealing work?

e.g. I have Rinka!Shinonome, turn 1 I recruit him, reclass to oni, can I then, on turn 2, use a child seal to boost him to a high-level Shura?

Speaking of child seals, does using a parallel seal before child sealing work?

e.g. I have Rinka!Shinonome, turn 1 I recruit him, reclass to oni, can I then, on turn 2, use a child seal to boost him to a high-level Shura?

No. You have to Child Seal from their base class. You'll need to Child Seal him to Basara or Holy Lancer, then Parallel Seal him.

Also, in regards to the EXP DLC, do you personally think it's a "safe" way to train Mozume in a similar vein of training Donnel with the EXP DLC in Awakening, particularly when you play them in the earlier part of the storyline?

And just to clarify, you mention the EXP DLC isn't as good when you play this map in the later part of the storyline since they'll be stronger. Which chapters in the storyline (both Hoshido and Nohr) do you think playing the EXP DLC map isn't worth the effort?

And finally, which chapters in each storyline do you think is worth grabbing the children characters, but not too far ahead of the storyline to the point that they are in a position that is either too difficult to recruit them (i.e. Shinonome), or they'll just too far behind to try leveling them up at the DLC (around the time when the children characters get the child seals, or a little earlier/later)?

Training Mozume is way easier and safer with Encounters, because you can decide the relative level, the enemies don't flee, and you can choose to summon the Encounter on a map with exploitable layout with several chokepoints (or in one case, even a healing floor).

In Nohr, there are no Encounters, so it's the only place to grind Mozume. Just make sure that she isn't at level 1 anywhere past Chapter 12 or so, because she probably won't be able to damage the enemies without Attack Stance and they'll kill her in one hit. In Hoshido, Encounters are almost always better for general grinding, but early-mid game you'll eventually hit a wall between chapters where EXP gain from Encounters is too poor unless you progress to the next chapter and open a new map, so you can use the DLC to grind at that point. Late game, that problem evaporates, though, because you can buy Encounters with LV 20 enemies.

Grabbing the kids late game is usually worth it. Only a few characters make it risky because of the nature of their paralogues, but many can be safely Child Sealed on the first few turns.