"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

I've herd the story isn't great, but to those people I ask how is the story when compared to FE Awakening? (better? worse? and their opinion how much?)

I'll go ahead and caveat this with an 'I seemed to have comparatively less issues with Awakening than other people' just for the record.

For Fates, I'd say the writing itself is better, and the story in Fates is really starting to move to a place where it works to do more than just get you from point A to B and tell you who to fight, while maintaining decent pacing. I thought that though the plot, if you were to just isolate it to its bullet points, had its weak moments, the writing more than made up for it. Personally, I'd say it's better than Awakening by a fair amount.

Overall reception, though, I think is all over the place. I've heard everything from rave reviews to rather harsh criticisms. It's probably worth noting that the people I know who love the story really seem to appreciate the extra focus it gives to the playable characters and/or the writing of the playable characters themselves, while most of the criticisms I've heard are more about the lack of world building and the logic associated with some plot points. So if you know which of those two camps you fall into, that might help gauge your interest.

I'll also go ahead and say that Nohr route pretty plainly assumes you picked that side to save the Nohrian royals. I think some of the people who picked it because they thought it would still let them be the moral equivalent to Hoshido have ended up disappointed.

Edited by blinkingbrave

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use Dragon Vein to trap him in a top-left area (you can control his movement a bit by blocking his path with your own units, and he'll invariably pass through that area). Occasionally a single enemy may still get to attack him through the single-space walls, but he should be able to handle that kind of damage well.

I have a few inquiries about the music.

Is this the battle preparation music for the Hoshido campaign only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWvJhD4qoE

Do the following tracks only play in the Nohr campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oomFeVuMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szMsjtrmy1E

Does this track serve a similar to "Conquest" in Awakening (the default music for skirmishes)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b659C5E9C6c

I have a few inquiries about the music.

Is this the battle preparation music for the Hoshido campaign only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWvJhD4qoE

Do the following tracks only play in the Nohr campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oomFeVuMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFeTyWfC-A

Does this track serve a similar to "Conquest" in Awakening (the default music for skirmishes)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b659C5E9C6c

Base A only plays in Hoshido Route

Map B1 plays in shared chapters, so it does play in all routes. (It's also in Paralogues, I'll have to double check on which music plays in which paralogue)

Map B2 only plays in Nohr Route, but it's also available in Invisible Kingdom in paralogues

Map B3 plays on all three routes

I'm not too sure about the last question though, like, I don't know much about skirmishes.

I know they play in the amiibo fights though

Overview

E1, E2, E3 play on all three routes (E3 for example, plays in every version of Chapter 6. The map E2 plays on is present in each route. E1 is just used in all the routes)

B1 and A1 play on the shared chapters, and in paralogues

A2 plays on Hoshido and paralogues

A3 plays on all three routes

A4 plays on Hoshido and Invisible Kingdom only

B2 plays on Nohr and paralogues

B3 plays on all three routes

B4 plays on Nohr and Invisible Kingdom only

B5 plays on Hoshido and Invisible Kingdom only

C1 plays on Nohr and Invisible Kingdom only

C2 plays on Invisible Kingdom only

C3 plays on Nohr and Invisible Kingdom only

F2 plays on certain paralogues

EX A1 plays on Hoshido Endgame, EX B1 on Nohr Endgame, EX C1 on Invisible Kingdom Endgame

Paralogues:

Most paralogues use A1/A2/B1/B2, though there are some who use E1, F2, or B3

The 6 shared paralogues only use A1, B1, or E1, so you won't hear A2 or B2 on them

(Also due to the nature of it F2 only plays on Hoshido Paralogues)

A2 plays on a Nohr Paralogue, oddly, the rest all fit in with their own side

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I keep hearing that it's better to train some bow users on Nohr. But is Lunatic endgame significantly harder if I don't train anyone other than Zero?

Not really. The only reason to train bow users in Nohr is because the lack of bow users. Bows are good in this game and are useful for taking out late game mounted-lance users. Zero is just nice to train since he is the first and also is your capture character for Nohr. Luantic-EG is not really harder without him since you can beat it in one turn easily with a few rescue shenanigans but he makes it easier due to the boost for bows and their extra significance.

Not really. The only reason to train bow users in Nohr is because the lack of bow users. Bows are good in this game and are useful for taking out late game mounted-lance users. Zero is just nice to train since he is the first and also is your capture character for Nohr. Luantic-EG is not really harder without him since you can beat it in one turn easily with a few rescue shenanigans but he makes it easier due to the boost for bows and their extra significance.

Thanks, but by "endgame" I actually meant the last few chapters on Lunatic, not only the final map.

Thanks, but by "endgame" I actually meant the last few chapters on Lunatic, not only the final map.

Oh I see. I don't recall them all, but a bow user is not necessary but I easily recommend one just because they can be useful.

+MAG Avatars: what pair-up bonus do they give as a personal bonus?

In other words, total pair-up bonus = class bonus + personal bonus.

Personal bonus increases with support rank:

VincentASM had suggested that it followed this pattern for the Avatar:

C-rank: +1 a stat based on your asset

B-rank: an additional +1 Def

A- rank: an additional +1 Spd

S-rank: an additional +1 Res, +1 a different stat based on your asset

Based on some patterns, VincentASM had speculated that +MAG would give +1 Spd for the asset-dependnet stat at C-rank and +1 Mag for the asset-dependent stat at S-rank, such that it would be:

+MAG

C-rank: +1 Spd

B-rank: an additional +1 Def

A-rank: an additional +1 Spd

S-rank: an additional +1 Res, +1 Mag

TOTAL BY S-RANK: +1 Mag, +2 Spd, +1 Def, +1 Res

This would make an S-rank pair-up of +MAG White Blood become:

+2 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Skl, +3 Spd, +2 Lck, +3 Def, +1 Res

This would make an S-rank pair-up of +MAG Dark Blood become:

+2 Str, +3 Mag, +1 Skl, +3 Spd, +1 Def, +3 Res

Is this correct?

Here are what my +Mag/-Lck Dark Blood Kamui offers:

No support:

Str +2

Mag +2

Skl +1

Spd +1

Res +2

C support:

Str +2

Mag +2

Skl +1

Spd +2

Res +2

B support (no sample, sorry)

A support:

Str +2

Mag +2

Skl +1

Spd +3

Def +1

Res +2

S support:

Str +2

Mag +3

Skl +1

Spd +3

Def +1

Res +3

(So yes, this matches with your number)

I don't have a +Mag White Blood though.

Base A only plays in Hoshido Route

Map B1 plays in shared chapters, so it does play in all routes. (It's also in Paralogues, I'll have to double check on which music plays in which paralogue)

Map B2 only plays in Nohr Route, but it's also available in Invisible Kingdom in paralogues

Map B3 plays on all three routes

I'm not too sure about the last question though, like, I don't know much about skirmishes.

I know they play in the amiibo fights though

Overview

E1, E2, E3 play on all three routes (E3 for example, plays in every version of Chapter 6. The map E2 plays on is present in each route. E1 is just used in all the routes)

B1 and A1 play on the shared chapters, and in paralogues

A2 plays on Hoshido and paralogues

A3 plays on all three routes

A4 plays on Hoshido and Invisible Kingdom only

B2 plays on Nohr and paralogues

B3 plays on all three routes

B4 plays on Nohr and Invisible Kingdom only

B5 plays on Hoshido and Invisible Kingdom only

C1 plays on Nohr and Invisible Kingdom only

C2 plays on Invisible Kingdom only

C3 plays on Nohr and Invisible Kingdom only

F2 plays on certain paralogues

EX A1 plays on Hoshido Endgame, EX B1 on Nohr Endgame, EX C1 on Invisible Kingdom Endgame

Paralogues:

Most paralogues use A1/A2/B1/B2, though there are some who use E1, F2, or B3

The 6 shared paralogues only use A1, B1, or E1, so you won't hear A2 or B2 on them

(Also due to the nature of it F2 only plays on Hoshido Paralogues)

A2 plays on a Nohr Paralogue, oddly, the rest all fit in with their own side

Thank you! I was really curious because the ones I asked about are my favorites so far, and I've been listening to them frequently. I haven't listened to anything beyond A3 and B3 (besides F1) as to avoid spoiling all the music.

I remember seeing someone playing around in My Castle, and they were battling Risen-esque soldiers. (Don't tell me what those are if you know what I'm referring to.) I thought that and battling streetpass teams were a similar thing to Awakening's skirmishes and streetpass battles. I guess I mostly thought that because the vibe I get from listening to "Conquest" and "F1 Calm" is the same.

Edited by Giga Man

Compared to Awakening, how gender-equal is the playable cast?

Not sure if you are talking about personalities or sheer numbers, but in every route the ratio of male to female units is nearly equal. For example, with the DLC, Hoshido has exactly 21 men and 21 women. The even split can actually be a curse- if a male Corrin marries a first-generation woman who can marry other units, there won't be enough mothers to go around and you'll be unable to get all the children.

If you are talking about equality in stats and personality, there are just as many male healers as female healers and several female units have massive STR growths. Nearly every class is gender-neutral as well. Personality and design-wise, girls are almost universally dressed in fetish gear and ask to be protected and taken care of in supports. That's anime for you

Not sure if you are talking about personalities or sheer numbers, but in every route the ratio of male to female units is nearly equal. For example, with the DLC, Hoshido has exactly 21 men and 21 women. The even split can actually be a curse- if a male Corrin marries a first-generation woman who can marry other units, there won't be enough mothers to go around and you'll be unable to get all the children.

I meant just by numbers.

The amiibo units are pretty broken for what it's worth, I guess, though they are not overly powerful

Marth and Lucina are basically doubling 1RKO machines, Lucina has aether though, while Marth, I dunno what to say. They'll take a fair bit of a damage though

Ike is basically lol 1-2 range tank, but he's not fast enough to double much other than like, generals, etc

Robin is Ike but without defense, though he at least has resistance to make magic attacks mostly a nonissue, and he hits quite hard at 1-2 range

They don't get any other classes, so their pvp is basically nonexistent

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

They don't get any other classes, so their pvp is basically nonexistent

They can reclass to any of the DLC classes, so they can be of some use in PVP.

For instance, you could put Aggressor, Awakening, Aether, and Warp on all of them. And since they're inferior in pair-up due to not being able to support, there's not much reason not to throw Galeforce on them as well.

However, it is true that the lack of supports and personal skills hurt their PVP potential in the long run. (I still wish they got normal skills as personals, like Ike having Aether as a personal, kinda like what Bond Units have going.) While they don't stack up in comparison with optimized Kannas, they can be used relatively well in PVP.

I thought only amiibo Lucina, cipher Lucina and 1 other female per file can get Awakening because there's only 1 Exalted Emblem, unless it's been released as a scroll or the emblem's in more quantities somewhere.

I meant just by numbers.

Going to answer your question fully, just because I also wanted to find out:

1 male 1 female Avatar/Kanna duo
4 male 3 female 1st gen/2 male 2 female 2nd gen in all paths

8 male 9 female 1st gen/4 male 4 female 2nd gen Hoshido/IK
1 male 1 female* Hoshido exclusive

9 male 9 female 1st gen/4 male 4 female 2nd gen Nohr/IK

1 male Hoshido/Nohr Lv3 Hot Springs recruit
1 male IK Lv3 Hot Springs recruit
1 female DLC-only Anna for all paths

Counting Anna, Hoshido/IK have even ratios (21:21 and 33:33), while Nohr is 21:20, but there's a 35:34 male/female ratio of total characters, making Fuuga break the even ratio like Priam did in Awakening.

[spoiler=*]*Might as well count as such

Edited by Silent Mercenary

I've heard people say mages aren't so hot in this game... Is it really because of their weapons' power (as I've read something about), or is there some other reason for this?

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I've heard people say mages aren't so hot in this game... Is it really because of their weapons' power (as I've read something about), or is there some other reason for this?

Well, most of the default mages (i.e not counting reclassed) are quite bad, in the sense that they have questionable bases, growth, availability, or all of the above (though this varies between different routes), but weapon is also a factor, yes.

Edited by Ryo

Well, most of the default mages (i.e not counting reclassed) are quite bad, in the sense that they have questionable bases, growth, availability, or all of the above (though this varies between different routes), but weapon is also a factor, yes.

That's it? Because from other threads, I thought there was more to it than that...

That's it? Because from other threads, I thought there was more to it than that...

Yeah but that's more than enough to turn people off. Some units like Nyx and Odin are flat-out unusable in IK without grinding, or so I've heard. I'd also not recommend using Odin, or even Nyx, too much on Nohr. Orochi has non-existent speed and needs to rely on Attack Stance to consistently kill things. Tsukuyomi joins at Lv. 1 with horrid base in Hoshido when all of your units should be at least 8~11 at that time. While some healers like Sakura and Elise can be considered superior statistically, they'll stuck at E-rank upon promotion...

Edited by Ryo