"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

How come Rinkah!Matoi has such a poor defence score? I got her as early as I could and she's not impressing me with anything other than the Swordslayer she brought (which anybody else could use).

Class bases…. also, Rinkah!Matoi has lower DEF growth than does Tsubaki, and Rinkah is in a high DEF growth class by default….

Rinkah!Matoi might have a +6 DEF mod, but she's not actually REACHING that during the main game….

EDIT: Rinkah also notably cuts into her HP growth and STR growth….

Rinkah is a good pair-up for Tsubaki but a weak mother for Matoi….

Edited by astrophys

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class bases…. also, Rinkah!Matoi has lower DEF growth than does Tsubaki, and Rinkah is in a high DEF growth class by default….

Rinkah!Matoi might have a +6 DEF mod, but she's not actually REACHING that during the main game….

EDIT: Rinkah also notably cuts into her HP growth and STR growth….

Rinkah is a good pair-up for Tsubaki but a weak mother for Matoi….

Actually, Rinkah being Matoi's mother makes the sturdiest Matoi physically. I'd argue you don't want Matoi's strength to be too high since this will activate her personal skill less often.

If you are willing to wait a loooong time, Oboro could be the best mother for Matoi. Compared to Rinkah, she sacrifices 10 in skl, and 5 spd and def growths while providing 10 hp, 15 str, 5 lck and 10 res, but what you really want to have is Lancefaire.

Otherwise, Kagerou is still the highest str mother and Orochi the highest mag mother.

The Shockstick magical Matoi build probably wants Orochi as her mother the most, but Tsubaki won't appreciate Orochi's support until it's chapter 14 and he's got C lances... (he doesn't mind Spellcaster's +spd pair-up though)

Oboro should give her something like 2.5% less DEF growth for 5% more HP growth….

Rinkah!Matoi actually thus has slightly LESS single-strike survivability (HP+DEF) than Oboro!Matoi (just going off growths)…. they might be more comparable on two-strike survivability.

Basically, you won't have a significantly sturdier Matoi than Rinkah!Matoi, but you can get one with better strength or magic if you choose another mother.

It's not a bad idea to wait until you recruit her since you need C lances for Shockstick usage. I used an Arms Scroll on mine since I was impatient to get her going.

Matoi wont be groundbreaking defensively either. She's actually got a subpar defense growth, especially as a pegasus. But she does have the highest starting HP out of everyone. If there's a child that can manage Rinka's bad HP, it's her.

I suppose whether you go for the philosophy of "play to their strengths" or "patch up their weaknesses".

Matoi has default personal growths of:

55% HP (tied with her father)

35% Str (5% more than her father)

15% Mag (5% less than her father)

40% Skl (10% less than her father)

40% Spd (20% more than her father)

45% Lck (20% more than her father)

35% Def (10% less than her father)

20% Res (15% more than her father)

TOTAL: 285% (35% more than her father)

Now, yes, you could stick her with Rinkah's 25% HP growth, which if my ideas are correct would yield a Matoi with 40% personal HP growth.

But you could also give her a mother with higher HP (like Hinoka, ignoring for a moment that Tsubaki x Hinoka's pair-up synergy isn't ideal) and you could end up with something like 50% personal HP growth, keeping it fairly high still. 50% = (55%+45%)/2

Actually, although given pair-up bonuses and not wanting to concentrate fliers together Hinoka!Matoi probably isn't that good of an idea, if you DID do it you'd end up with a unit with comparable growths to Hinoka herself, and only 10% less total growths (mostly attributable to RES).

Hinoka's Stat vs. Hinoka!Matoi's Stats; (Hinoka - Hinoka!Matoi) difference

HP: 45% vs. 50%; -5%

Str: 45% vs. 40%; +5%

Mag: 15% vs. 15%; 0%

Skl: 40% vs. 40%; 0%

Spd: 45% vs. 42.5%; +2.5%

Lck: 40% vs. 42.5%; -2.5%

Def: 35% vs. 35%; 0%

Res: 40% vs. 30%; +10%

Total: 305% vs. 295%; +10%

Their growths are almost identical, just 5% trades in HP/STR, 2.5% trades in Spd/Lck, and Hinoka's only large growth rate advantage being 10% in RES.

If you're seriously breeding for children, efficiency isn't such a concern as to bar you from pairing up two fliers. I'd rather pass Matoi a class she doesn't have however. What new does she get from Hinoka? No inherited unique abilities, no new class sets.

Plus it's Hoshido/IK, you can grind for money and keep levelling after buying new Eternal Seals so even the poorest of growths won't stop you from hitting the caps without any DLC.

Also, do the 2.5 growths round up, down; neither?

If you're seriously breeding for children, efficiency isn't such a concern as to bar you from pairing up two fliers. I'd rather pass Matoi a class she doesn't have however. What new does she get from Hinoka? No inherited unique abilities, no new class sets.

Plus it's Hoshido/IK, you can grind for money and keep levelling after buying new Eternal Seals so even the poorest of growths won't stop you from hitting the caps without any DLC.

Also, do the 2.5 growths round up, down; neither?

Matoi and Tsubaki get Lance Fighter from Hinoka, which means Lancefaire, Breaking Sky and Flamboyant access.

Edited by KamuiSama

I thought you only inherit the non-fixed parent's primary class set, if anything at all?

Yes but because Matoi starts off as the same class with her mother, she will get her mother secondary class instead and Tsubaki and Hinoka will get their spouse secondary class respectively through marriage seal because they have the same base class.

I don't know about the growths rounding up or down… the whole 2.5% growths are just resulting from inference from taking a bunch of child sealing videos and comparing the results of the video against the expected averages of various growth inheritance rules [such as the Awakening ruling vs. average of mother and child's default, etc] and seeing which rules most closely adhere to the data [both from "eyeballing" it and from least-squares analysis.

So (as far as I'm aware), its not explicitly proven (unless some resource/source has come out since then that explicitly tells us it), but this seems to be the most probable conclusion from the mathematical analysis: its average of the mother [variable parent] and the child's default.

But yes, Hinoka gives Matoi Lance Fighter just like Oboro does. The rules, remember are:

1. The child has a default class tree (for Matoi, this is Pegasus Warrior).

2. They receive one class tree from their father

2a. If they don't already have it, they get his primary (starting) class tree. [Matoi already has Tsubaki's primary, Pegasus, so skip to 2b.]

2b. If they already have it, they get his secondary (alternate) class tree instead. [so Matoi get's Tsubaki's Samurai secondary]

3. They receive one class tree from their mother:

3a. If they don't already have it, they get her primary (starting) class tree unless its not inheritable. [Matoi already has Hinoka's primary, Pegasus, so skip to 3b.]

3b. If they already have it, or if their mother's primary class is not inheritable, they get her secondary (alternate) class tree instead. [so Matoi get's Hinoka's lance fighter secondary]

4. If they already have that, they get a counterpart class to the mother's primary class instead, typically from the opposite nation [for example Spellcaster and Dark Mage are alternates to each other, so in the case of Nyx!Eponine Nyx actually passes Spellcaster to Eponine]
5. If they already have that, then they get a counterpart class to the mother's secondary class instead. [For example, this happens for Jakob!Shigure: He starts as a Pegasus Warrior, Jakob gives him Troubadour, Azura's Singer is uninhabitable, she cannot give her Pegasus secondary because Shigure already has it, she tries passing Troubadour as a counterpart class to Singer but Shigure already has that, so she finally passes down a counterpart class to Pegasus Warrior and gives Shigure Wyvern Rider instead.]
Marriage seals also work the same way.
The result is that Hinoka x Tsubaki results in three units with identical class sets (although which one is their "secondary" differs): Pegasus, Samurai, and Lance Fighter.
Edited by astrophys

Ryoma is probably under the influence of statues, which are special buildings you can place in My Castle to raise your unit's caps. More about it was be read here: http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/my-castle/buildings/

Wow, that's huge! I guess I've been out of the loop for too long.

Looks like we found the new limit breaker.

Thanks

Edited by RobbieRotten

How are the max stats for children units calculated?

Initially I thought the child's max stats are both the parents assets and flaws combine (so if they both have +1 Str, the child gets +2 Str) but when browsing the fire emblem wiki it the children's max stats are way higher than their parents. For example on the site here it says the characters get a total of +1 stat bonus (when you add the positive and negative stats together) (http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/maximum-stats/), with children units according to the fire emblem wiki they a lot more stat bonuses for example Matoi gets +8 stat bonuses regardless of mother (http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Matoi).

So I just want to conform is this the case? but it just doesnt seem right to me, if I finish the game and go online or do dlc and want the best team I dont want to make to be hadicaped if I choose to keep my favorite main story characters.

Edited by Raybrand

Initially I thought the child's max stats are both the parents assets and flaws combine (so if they both have +1 Str, the child gets +2 Str) but when browsing the fire emblem wiki it the children's max stats are way higher than their parents. For example on the site here it says the characters get a total of +1 stat bonus (when you add the positive and negative stats together) (http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/maximum-stats/), with children units according to the fire emblem wiki they a lot more stat bonuses for example Matoi gets +8 stat bonuses regardless of mother (http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Matoi).

So I just want to conform is this the case? but it just doesnt seem right to me, if I finish the game and go online or do dlc and want the best team I dont want to make to be hadicaped if I choose to keep my favorite main story characters.

it's the same as Awakening and as the links mention

also, notice Rinkah!Matoi's total mods is only 7

Edited by GoXDS

For most children, it is (Mother's Mods + Father's Mods + 1) for every stat. So if the mother has +3 max SPD and the father has +1 max SPD, the child would have (3 + 1 + 1 =) +5 max SPD. This lets you get absurd max stats like +7 SPD, and means that kids tend to have max stat totals that are about 6-10 points higher than their parents in the same class.

For Kanna, if Corrin married a Second-Gen unit, the formula is just (Mother's Mods + Father's Mods). Kanna can already get to stats like +11 SPD (Corrin × Setsuna!Midoriko), so they don't need the +1.

You can definitely use first-gen units on an online, optimized squad. But be prepared to see some 58 SPD Kannas out there.

EDIT: Saizou'd.

Edited by gayserbeam

For most children, it is (Mother's Mods + Father's Mods + 1) for every stat. So if the mother has +3 max SPD and the father has +1 max SPD, the child would have (3 + 1 + 1 =) +5 max SPD. This lets you get absurd max stats like +7 SPD, and means that kids tend to have max stat totals that are about 6-10 points higher than their parents in the same class.

For Kanna, if Corrin married a Second-Gen unit, the formula is just (Mother's Mods + Father's Mods). Kanna can already get to stats like +11 SPD (Corrin × Setsuna!Midoriko), so they don't need the +1.

You can definitely use first-gen units on an online, optimized squad. But be prepared to see some 58 SPD Kannas out there.

EDIT: Saizou'd.

Blah, I've lost all motivation to train my main units if they are just going to be outshined by children units, I know in my first playthrough of Fates only a couple of units reached/surpassed the tier 2 lv20 mark at the end of the game so thougthout the most of the game your not going to think about max stats but dammit I do. And dammit if I lose a match online because I like using the main story characters and not have a team entirely of children

Can you forge the following:

Nosferatu

Moonlight

Odin's black-tome

Iago's Doubtful-tome

Blah, I've lost all motivation to train my main units if they are just going to be outshined by children units, I know in my first playthrough of Fates only a couple of units reached/surpassed the tier 2 lv20 mark at the end of the game so thougthout the most of the game your not going to think about max stats but dammit I do. And dammit if I lose a match online because I like using the main story characters and not have a team entirely of children

I'm pretty sure the children characters can't use locked weapons. For example, Xander might be more useful than Siegbert simply because he has Siegfried.

Can you forge the following:

Nosferatu

Moonlight

Odin's black-tome

Iago's Doubtful-tome

I'm pretty sure the children characters can't use locked weapons. For example, Xander might be more useful than Siegbert simply because he has Siegfried.

Anything is forgeable except S Rank and PRF weapons.

And dragon/beaststones, or at least I haven't seen anyone do it yet

I have a question about the amiibo. I see in other My Castle some character have the "body" of the amiibo character. I can obtain the item for change class after battle with the amiibo (ex. Ike) or i need to do somthing else?

You can get Vanguard, Grandmaster, Lodestar and Great Lord class from DLC.